Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Consortium of Low End Providers (CLEP) Hosting Panel - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Consortium of Low End Providers (CLEP) Hosting Panel

Comments

• @HalfEatenPie said:
    This kind of initiative and want has been part of the "LET Cycle" for a long time.

There's always someone new who wants to build a new VM control panel or web hosting control panel. There are always funders who are interested in funding it (granted it's not realistic enough to be worth the time for the developer vs other opportunities they could spend their time on until it hits that critical mass of adoptees... in which case that's going to take a bit). Therefore, it really should be a labor of love in order to get it past those initial hurdles.

Yeah, I enjoy writing code but without a maintainer willing to do triage and support the product I'm probably not going to enjoy which is why its my condition.

If I was retired, I'd build it just for fun but I have a day job and a family lol

• @ChaosCircle said:
    Yeah, I enjoy writing code but without a maintainer willing to do triage and support the product I'm probably not going to enjoy which is why its my condition.

If I was retired, I'd build it just for fun but I have a day job and a family lol

Yeah turns out living is expensive. Especially when you have other mouths to feed. The 1000 dollars a "web hosting company" is willing to donate (plus server space) really doesn't mean dick.

Thanked by 3adly bulbasaur eva2000
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2022

@Arkas said: There is no project yet, so how can it fail?

Take my bet then that it won't even get that far. I am good for it, just for you, I will make it $100. Many on here know I am good for it and will pay if I lose.

• Effort is better expended on trying to drive sales if yu are a hosting provider rather than working on a group "free panel" that may or may not be done. Total up your cpanel or direct admin costs for a year, then divide it by a rational hourly pay rate. Will you spend more or less time working on the panel than your cpanel costs/hourly rate? My guess is the panel will consume countless more hours. Sales for small providers can make you more than savings from "free" panel. You cannot cut your costs to profitability.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

I believe instead of guessing about project's future and survival chances, why not for a minute we think that it may get a life and what we need to contribute is real suggestions which can make such thing worthy. I have already updated topic and hoping for some ideas and direction. Getting fund is generally easy but finding someone actually good in it is hard, I have people who can invest in it, if not lot but good which should be just enough to make it happening. Obviously no one knows future but we can hope for good.

• emghemgh Member

I mean the main part of the problem is a (or 2-3*) developer(s) willing to spend a lot of time. Money for domains, hosting, etc. will be easily collected here.

• eriseris Member

Costs for HestiaCP are currently 30/40 euro a month based on

1. VM for Packages
    2. Website / Forum
    3. Demo

And 3 servers for automated testing.

And a few domains

The is issue is with somebody willing to spend xx hours on it each month for development , support, testing, documentation and so on.

And even with over 25k downloads each month our "income" from sponsoring is about 100 euro / month.

So it will not pay your bills. If you want to make money it is probably cheaper to go with a paid panel where you can depend of for support / updates for free.

• @Saahib said:
    I believe instead of guessing about project's future and survival chances, why not for a minute we think that it may get a life and what we need to contribute is real suggestions which can make such thing worthy. I have already updated topic and hoping for some ideas and direction. Getting fund is generally easy but finding someone actually good in it is hard, I have people who can invest in it, if not lot but good which should be just enough to make it happening. Obviously no one knows future but we can hope for good.

You need someone to post a feature list for a MVP and try to convince someone to dedicate 8+ hours a week to this.

There is no point in discussing what you posted until then.

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited July 2022

@eris said: Costs for HestiaCP are currently 30/40 euro a month based on

VM for Packages
    Website / Forum
    Demo

And a few domains

You got to be joking! :confused:
    you are counting domains, hosting and what not which would be included in any package from for any control panel.
    It costs me only my time, in this case about an hour to do what you describe in your first 3 steps.

• @Arkas said:

VM for Packages
    Website / Forum
    Demo

And a few domains

you are counting domains, hosting and what not which would be included in any package from for any control panel.
    It costs me only my time, in this case about an hour to do what you describe in your first 3 steps.

Huh? His costs sounds about right to me as a FOSS project head. Unless I'm misinterpreting this.

Thanked by 3Arkas adly doghouch
  • adlyadly Veteran

@Arkas said:

VM for Packages
    Website / Forum
    Demo

And a few domains

I believe they’re referring to the cost of running the HestaCP project, not simply using the control panel.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@adly said: I believe they’re referring to the cost of running the HestaCP project, not simply using the control panel.

My mistake then. I misunderstood.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

I'm willing to put time into it if it's open source

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited July 2022

@adly said:
    the cost of running the HestaCP project, not simply using the control panel.

yes, that is what @eris was referring to.

• @ericls said:

How much time? As a developer, documentor, or ?

edited July 2022

@ChaosCircle said:

@ericls said:

I don’t want to guarantee, but it will be on weekends and nights, I might want to pull a 30hr week if I feel like it. I know a lot of people play MMORPG games for 60hrs week, and this would be my mmorpg game. As such, it will be based on how people get along with each other in the community, and how much fun people get out of it. I’m a developer, but will try other things if I feel like it.

• @ericls said:

@ChaosCircle said:

@ericls said:

I don’t want to guarantee, but it will be on weekends and nights, I might want to pull a 30hr week if I feel like it. I know a lot of people play MMORPG games for 60hrs week, and this would be my mmorpg game. As such, it will be based on how people get along with each other in the community, and how much fun people get out of it. I’m a developer, but will try other things if I feel like it.

Would you want to be the main maintainer if you were interested in doing this?

@ChaosCircle said:

@ericls said:

@ChaosCircle said:

@ericls said:

Would you want to be the main maintainer if you were interested in doing this?

It's too early to say. I think it'll be better to have a discussion group to nail down the problems that we are trying to solve, the assumptions we are validating and have a clearer picture of what's going to happen. All I want to say is that I'd like to be involved in it, to contribute and learn from others.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

If there is anything I can do in organizing this pre-project phase, let me know. Either post it here, or you can DM me If you like.

@Arkas said:
    If there is anything I can do in organizing this pre-project phase, let me know. Either post it here, or you can DM me If you like.

Someone should create a slack group or discord server. Hopefully it's not gonna be all developers...

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@ericls said: Someone should create a slack group or discord server. Hopefully it's not gonna be all developers...

Is a discord server better or a fast phpbb forum ? Whatever is easier for you guys.

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

@Arkas said:

@ericls said: Someone should create a slack group or discord server. Hopefully it's not gonna be all developers...

Is a discord server better or a fast phpbb forum ? Whatever is easier for you guys.

I'd say a properly setup discord would be the best for this kinda thing but idk, I won't be able to contribute anything...

• ArkasArkas Moderator

In the meantime, I will go ahead and prepare a discord server and will report back here, unless someone else has a better idea, this can be the beginning.

Thanked by 1ericls
  • Discord? Are you sysadmins/devs or Minecraft players? Set up IRC/Matrix, with
    a bridge to Telegram.

@luckypenguin said:
    Discord? Are you sysadmins/devs or Minecraft players? Set up IRC/Matrix, with
    a bridge to Telegram.

Like I said, if I were to decide, I don't want this to be just another game among devs. It's important to build software together, but it's also important to connect with the outside world to discuss what to build, to list the known and unknowns, to get people to give feedback, to dig deep into the requirements, and to do that, a lot of non-devs are needed.

I'm not saying that it's bad to limit the game to devs/sysadmins. I'd certainly enjoy that, just like I enjoyed the other dev-only games before. But hey, sometimes you just want to play a different game.

Other than that, I think Discord is more approachable to more people and I know quite a few open source projects that are running great on Discord. for example: https://serenityos.org/.

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • BoogeymanBoogeyman Member
    edited July 2022

@luckypenguin said: Discord? Are you sysadmins/devs or Minecraft players? Set up IRC/Matrix, with

a bridge to Telegram.

There is nothing wrong devs using discord. It's not like slack's 10k message policy where you can't see old messages after that.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Fwiw, I also know an open source project that has its' community on Discord. It works pretty well and there's a bot that posts GitHub activity to a specific channel on Discord which is cool:

FsyVSz.md.jpg

Another cool thing is that there is somewhat a general "guest" channel and then there are "user/member" channels where you get quicker replies and help, however the requirement for the member role is to submit at least one Pull Request.

• @Arkas said:
    In the meantime, I will go ahead and prepare a discord server and will report back here, unless someone else has a better idea, this can be the beginning.

How is that going? Would you rather someone else set it up?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@ChaosCircle said: How is that going? Would you rather someone else set it up?

Hi. Sorry for the delay. Yes, If someone else can set it up it would be great!

• @Arkas @ericls https://discord.gg/DKNP7U5s7n

Also open to anyone else that is interested in joining to discuss further.

Thanked by 3tjn Arkas ericls