Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Consortium of Low End Providers (CLEP) Hosting Panel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Consortium of Low End Providers (CLEP) Hosting Panel

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
edited July 2022 in General

There has been a lots of discussion in past when cPanel increased pricing and then now DA is changing pricing structure when a lot of providers are still planning transition from costly cPanel to DA to save prices.

I propose CLEP Hosting Panel (Consortium of Low End Provider Hosting Panel))

Either create a new opensource hosting panel or fork some promising existing one and we can sponsor it. Can use language like GoLang or something, we have lots of experienced provider here, there is no place better than this place to provide right feedback and direction.

Edited by moderator as requested by OP

Certainly single person can't do it, however we can discussion direction or must haves for it. We can discuss what mistakes it should not repeat if gets materialized. People are here experienced and are from varied fields, definitely there is no shortage of talent. What I understand that atleast we an discuss things like :

1. What platform / language should be used,
  2. What initial features need to be there for start,
  3. What kind of UI will be preferred,
  4. Which kind of administration / package management to be used ie. compile or packages,
  5. What kind of integration to start with and so on.

Comments

• @Saahib said:
    There has been a lots of discussion in past when cPanel increased pricing and then now DA is changing pricing structure when a lot of providers are still planning transition from costly cPanel to DA to save prices.

I propose CLEP Hosting Panel (Consortium of Low End Provider Hosting Panel))

Either create a new opensource hosting panel or fork some promising existing one and we can sponsor it. Can use language like GoLang or something, we have lots of experienced provider here, there is no place better than this place to provide right feedback and direction.

I agree and will support the project if it goes ahead

• henixhenix Member

Pricing: $7/year (everything unlimited)

Thanked by 2yoursunny BlaZe
  • DonkeyDonkey Member

Very good initiative. Much needed.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2022

Hestiacp is already a promising fork maintained by some folks and @Falzo is also somehow involved, if memory serves :)

• ArkasArkas Moderator

HestiaCP is a great candidate IMO, but If this goes further, I will definitely support it.

Thanked by 2Ympker themew
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@Ympker said:
    Hestiacp is already a promising fork maintained by some folks and @Falzo is also somehow involved, if memory serves :)

thanks for mentioning but to be fair I wouldn't consider HestiaCP a good replacement for cpanel or directadmin. it's built and developed from a different point of view and does not really have reselling and complete customer self service in mind.
    people used to the big ones won't find their regular use cases covered and probably will have a hard time getting used to it...

it's open source though and can be forked and evolved into something different though, if there is enough manpower and bravery to take on challenges with the inherited Vesta codebase ;-) ;-)

Thanked by 2Ympker afn
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@Falzo said:

@Ympker said:

thanks for mentioning but to be fair I wouldn't consider HestiaCP a good replacement for cpanel or directadmin. it's built and developed from a different point of view and does not really have reselling and complete customer self service in mind.
    people used to the big ones won't find their regular use cases covered and probably will have a hard time getting used to it...

it's open source though and can be forked and evolved into something different though, if there is enough manpower and bravery to take on challenges with the inherited Vesta codebase ;-) ;-)

If that's the case, wasn't ISPConfig also open source and included reseller features? Maybe fork that one, add a comfortable UI (not the ugly one it has) and use that as a base. Or use any other decent os panel as base. Starting from scratch could prove to be even more difficult, but then again that all depends on the manpower etc

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Let me know If this gets serious so I can reach out to more providers, some of whom might not be on LET or who do not check it as often, so I can build momentum and put some names to the project.

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

Honestly don’t think this will go anywhere but I’ll be glad if it does… Even if this starts being a thing, it’ll still take months to become an established panel and even after that no one can guarantee that it’ll be maintained and providers won’t just give up as soon as development starts having hiccups

• LeviLevi Member

Does everyone will ignore elephant in the room - webmin, virtualmin, usermin triada? It is long standing product, can be modified. Take it and do whatever you want.

Thanked by 3ahnlak lentro cheapdave
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@henix said:

Pricing: $200/year, billed semi-annually
    Limitation: can only create one offer every 10 days; monthly service price no more than $10

• pbxpbx Member

Great idea.

More minimalistic than hestiaCP but froxlor could be an interesting base as well (even though starting from scratch using the language currently more adapted to the task would be better).

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

Great idea!

If you need UX/UI designer or HTML/CSS work then hit me up if something serious arise :)

• adlyadly Veteran

While a noble idea, how would such a project be funded from a developer perspective? There’s a reason most of the open source panels aren’t ready for prime time/commercial usage.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • niceboyniceboy Veteran

@henix said:

He suggested it as open source!
    Pricing: $0/year (everything unlimited)

• @yoursunny said:

@henix said:

Limitation: can only create one offer every 10 days; monthly service price no more than $10

what the...
    fuck?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

We have had similar discussions for years. Nothing has ever materialized. TL;DR software developers need to get paid. More open-source stuff won't envolve to that point.

Thanked by 4Falzo adly imok RapToN
  • afnafn Member
    edited July 2022

@Ympker said: Hestiacp is already a promising fork maintained by some folks a

HestiaCP still needs about 5 years to be a real panel and not just a couple of FOSS kids playing around.

The first time I used it, I found 2 security issues, and 4 normal bugs, (all reported and fixed now).

I used to like sentora, one of the greatest UI's to ever exist in a panel.

It took me a CS bachelor to understand that thing called HestiaCP and I still say it sucks.
    On the other side, it took me 1 hour to understand Sentora and for the record I was barely 11 when I used it and I fully mastered it. That should give you an idea about how intuitive and well made Sentora was.

Sadly, it was abandoned by developers and it mainly lacked a couple features like php version switch.

HestiaCP is the best thing close to a panel, but it still so bad. Just because it is the best among shit does not mean it is good. It is acceptable and the community behind it are trying their best, but they shoot themselves in the foot by starting from a fork of that thing called vestaCP :neutral:

I would suggest Sentora as a base to pickup and patch, they had a good start that needs to be updated. The panel was fast too, from my experience it was more responsive than HestiaCP (which is slow as hell)

• afnafn Member
    edited July 2022

@adly said: While a noble idea, how would such a project be funded from a developer perspective? There’s a reason most of the open source panels aren’t ready for prime time/commercial usage.

Exactly, you made a very valid point.

@AXYZE said: If you need UX/UI designer or HTML/CSS work then hit me up if something serious arise

That's the problem, everyone will be like "you go first", a deadlock, an after you-after you situation as Dijkstra would call it. No one will want to waste their time on a dead project, unless some else does it first, someone has to be brave enough and start it not knowing if it will ever turn to sth serious or not, but I do totally understand you, specially in your position, you can't go too far with UI work without a backend, so definitely, you can't be that one who starts it. (not criticizing you, I am just talking about a general problem )

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@LTniger said: Does everyone will ignore elephant in the room - webmin, virtualmin, usermin triada?

Unfortunately for the creators of webmin/virtualmin, potential users have used the product.

OTOH maybe that says something. People don't pick panels - hosting companies do.

Then again, all these products suck. I wouldn't pay 10 cents for cPanel, DirectAdmin, or any of them. However, Microsoft Windows also sucks so you can certainly make a lot of money selling lame software.

@LTniger said: It is long standing product, can be modified. Take it and do whatever you want.

People don't want to work on someone else's code. They want to write their own so it's "modern" and "lightweight" and whatever other effusives the authors fancy.

@MikePT said: We have had similar discussions for years. Nothing has ever materialized. TL;DR software developers need to get paid. More open-source stuff won't envolve to that point.

People are grossly underestimating the work here.

Without searching, I can name several different panels that came and go and are no longer around. All of them started because someone looked at cPanel and said "oh hell, I can write that...gimme a month..."

Can I short this idea?

I'm all for it @Saahib and really do wish you all the best and will be happy to promote it. However, I'm also for world peace and I'd short that project, too, for the same reasons.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited July 2022

@afn said:it took me 1 hour to understand Sentora and for the record I was barely 11 when I used it and I fully mastered it.

@afn said: I would suggest Sentora as a base to pickup and patch, they had a good start that needs to be updated. The panel was fast too, from my experience it was more responsive than HestiaCP (which is slow as hell)

Wasn't Sentora because of bad publicity renamed old ex ZPanel aka swiss cheese control panel, heavily criticized at LET many moons ago because of so many vulnerabilities that apart from 11 years old kid who don't know it better no one with health mind would use it?

https://www.google.com/search?q=zpanel+hacked

I am wondering if @joepie91 is still alive :P

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/47220/sentora-alternative-to-zpanel-warning/p1
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/10391/the-security-trainwreck-that-is-zpanel/p1
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/54504/zpanel-for-hosting-sites/
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/913857#Comment_913857
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/72249/what-happened-to-zpanel/

Thanked by 2Falzo rooted
  • The name kinda sucks. "Low End Provider" is a somewhat internal slang meaning,
    actual customers don't know what a low end provider means and it sounds like
    something inferior for a person who doesn't know/care about the hosting industry.
    Wouldn't install or recommend such panel to my customers just because of such name.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Otus9051 said:

@yoursunny said:

@henix said:

what the...
    fuck?

Same price as a provider tag, aka BilohBucks.

• Tony40Tony40 Member
    edited July 2022

This will be a great starting point

FastCP - A free & modern control panel for Ubuntu 20.04 and up

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/180028/fastcp-a-free-modern-control-panel-for-ubuntu-20-04-and-up

• eriseris Member

@Arkas said:
    HestiaCP is a great candidate IMO, but If this goes further, I will definitely support it.

If you want to support an opensource panel start with contributing to it instead of Forking it.

VestaCP died due to the fact the main developers didn't care about there software. How ever Hestia is still active in development. How ever bills need to be paid and time is quite limited.. Forking into another fork doesn't help both the community of HestiaCP and "CLEP"

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@eris said: If you want to support an opensource panel start with contributing to it instead of Forking it.

Who said anything about forking HestiaCP??

• @Arkas said:

Who said anything about forking HestiaCP??

OP said it in the first post. Even proposed to write it in Golang 🤦

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited July 2022

@luckypenguin said: OP said it in the first post. Even proposed to write it in Golang 🤦

Yes, but @eris quoted me with that reply. :smile:
    I repeatedly said in the other thread(s), but also here, about HestiaCP, and either it, or I would support this project... :astonished:

• afnafn Member
    edited July 2022

@Mumbly said: Wasn't Sentora because of bad publicity renamed old ex ZPanel aka swiss cheese control panel, heavily criticized at LET many moons ago because of so many vulnerabilities that apart from 11 years old kid who don't know it better no one with health mind would use it?

Yeah, but maybe I didn't express myself clearly enough, the thing I meant was mainly the UI, I am not defending the panel itself (backend wise), I am just saying this is a good example of good UI, that could be reused, that's what I meant. Just the UI.

It is not a safe panel I do not suggest that any sane human being use it :joy: but it had a lot of good things where we could start from

• LeviLevi Member

Please aproach with this text:

"Hello highly respectable community at LET llc.

I have made cPanel functional clone written in GO. Backend done 100%, frontend 98%. I'am looking for help with few css lines to finish button styling. Control panel fully tested at third party pentest lab, license is BSD, absolutely free, tailored to web hosting industry."

Than maybe, with much doubt, community will contribute some crappy css. Now it is not even funny...