Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DirectAdmin Price Increase - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DirectAdmin Price Increase

Comments

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@zafouhar said: Yes they already disabled allowing new orders for DC licenses its been a few weeks actually

Are you sure it's related? I have seen cases where accounts were granted internal licenses only for a few licenses or even no licenses at all - when DA would remove the granted privilege after some time of idling ...

• @RickBakkr said:

@zafouhar said: Yes they already disabled allowing new orders for DC licenses its been a few weeks actually

Are you sure it's related? I have seen cases where accounts were granted internal licenses only for a few licenses or even no licenses at all - when DA would remove the granted privilege after some time of idling ...

Yep ;)

• @JamesF said:
    DA is still much cheaper than CPanel and the old licenses will still work.

This is absolutely correct, but cPanel is still better with the pricing hike.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

If DA is cutting out internal (discounted) licenses. Then it completely wipes out any incentive a host would recommend DA over CP.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

@EthernetServers said:
    Including the Pro Pack provides additional marketing opportunities for hosts too; it has some value with some decent features.

The Pro Pack doesn't seem ready. You still need CloudLinux. Hosts can't really have any advantage advertising a feature that isn't ready.

@zafouhar said:A
    for the day to use day end user who wants to host a few sites

It is not needed for everyone, too. There is a larger client base that don't need the Pro Pack. In my experience, DA wasn't quite able to tap into this client base.

@lonea said:
    If DA is cutting out internal (discounted) licenses. Then it completely wipes out any incentive a host would recommend DA over CP.

With DA's retail pricing, they will need to compete in support quality and software stability.

cPanel and Plesk both are clearly ahead of DA in support quality, and the size of the support team.

Users could always go back to Plesk instead of paying more to DA.

Thanked by 2adly niceboy
  • RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR
    edited July 2022

@MechanicWeb said:
    With DA's retail pricing, they will need to compete in support quality and software stability.

Support quality is really a debatable one. Whole reason they were discounted in the first place, was the idea that wholesalers/webhosters would have less support demand than e.g. web agencies who take on a single retail license.

It would really have made sense if they sticked to at least some sort of discount for those who do not 'use' their support time. After all, why not keep on passing on the saved time (and therefore money) on?

Thanked by 1adly
  • emghemgh Member

@MechanicWeb said: size of the support team

Size of support team doesn't matter. What matter is quality.

Inleed, a Swedish host, consists of a few people. However, when sending them an e-mail in the middle of the night, I always get a response in minutes.

Support staff divided by clients would be fairer, but still, a bad measure considering every other aspect of support.

• HxxxHxxx Member

Current DA (new skin, grid layout) is user friendly. I dare to say that it is even more friendly than the new cPanel layout.

Price wise DA still a better option than cPanel.

If they ever match cPanel pricing in terms of limitations, that day I'll be looking for another alternative or coding my own. A smart move that Siteground did (coding their own).

I don't think SaaS model is a good fit for server control panels.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2022

They degraded their worth on the market offering 5USD licenses.

So alot people where trying to get VPS who included it for free and paying probably same for VPS and the license included at some provider.

Now everyone thinks it's a cheap solution and won't spend anything on it. And not willing to spend money on it.

I see it here. Someone asks for Free DirectAdmin license. I tell them it's 4,50€, (internal), customer not interested anymore.
    Okay?

Price increases are not nice yes. See cPanel. But for DirectAdmin it will be a good thing for their Brand. Im sure.

That's just my point of view.

We all want them to continue in next Decade offering us their panel.

I will continue to recommend them over cPanel.

• LeviLevi Member

Those who say da is better than cpanel... Cpanel has market share way way beyond da :) . Cpanel hands down is the better control panel. Just with f*cked up pricing.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • redcatredcat Member

Inflation strikes again!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@lonea said:

Uh? cPanel charges $0.175/month per account made on a server for NOC users, it's double that for normies. cPanel will hike prices probably up to $0.25/month per sub user this year, maybe even more.

Francisco

Thanked by 1MikeA

@HostSlick said:
    They degraded their worth on the market offering 5USD licenses.

So alot people where trying to get VPS who included it for free and paying probably same for VPS and the license included at some provider.

Now everyone thinks it's a cheap solution and won't spend anything on it. And not willing to spend money on it.

I see it here. Someone asks for Free DirectAdmin license. I tell them it's 4,50€, (internal), customer not interested anymore.
    Okay?

Price increases are not nice yes. See cPanel. But for DirectAdmin it will be a good thing for their Brand. Im sure.

That's just my point of view.

That's a valid observation. Price dictates quality.

As we forget sometimes, like us, software developers, too have costs :)

Thanked by 1HostSlick

@RickBakkr said:
    It would really have made sense if they sticked to at least some sort of discount for those who do not 'use' their support time. After all, why not keep on passing on the saved time (and therefore money) on?

This sounds like a good idea.

It would have been better if they could discount the Standard to ~$15 and Personal to ~$10 for hosting providers or partners. And keep the Pro Pack as addon.

@Francisco said:
    Uh? cPanel charges $0.175/month per account made on a server for NOC users, it's double that for normies. cPanel will hike prices probably up to $0.25/month per sub user this year, maybe even more.

Francisco

That was old price. They charge $0.20 for NOCs.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MechanicWeb said: That was old price. They charge $0.20 for NOCs.

Fair enough :) It'll go up even further then. Maybe we'll see $0.25/month this coming increase.

Francisco

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@LTniger said: Those who say da is better than cpanel... Cpanel has market share way way beyond da . Cpanel hands down is the better control panel.

Those who say Linux is better than Windows...Windows has market share way beyond Linux.

Those who say Tesla is better than Ford...Ford has market share way behind Tesla.

I don't agree that market share = quality.

• adlyadly Veteran

@raindog308 said:

@LTniger said: Those who say da is better than cpanel... Cpanel has market share way way beyond da . Cpanel hands down is the better control panel.

Those who say Linux is better than Windows...Windows has market share way beyond Linux.

Those who say Tesla is better than Ford...Ford has market share way behind Tesla.

In many cases, like those mentioned, it’s a case of first mover advantage, being just good enough, and lack of impetus to try alternatives.

Thanked by 1Arirang
  • @raindog308 said:

Fair points.
    For me as a user/customer (not a provider), cPanel is more practical to use, easier, and faster to get stuff done.
    Its new ("Jupiter") skin is awful, and I'm happy to be allowed to use the "obsolete" "Paper lantern."

DirectAdmin is head and shoulders above when it comes to creating, and importing backups (so backups and account migrations) - again, from a customer's point of view.
    That one function makes me highly prefer DA.

Unfortunately, and that is the biggest problem with DA, hosting providers I consider to be reliable and of high quality, don't offer DA, only cPanel.

In other words, when it comes to reseller hosting, DA offers fall into the "OK but not excellent" category (IMO at least).

• adlyadly Veteran

I’ve used DA for coming up to around 20 years, and I’ve always found it the more technically superior option. Before that I used Ensim and never really got on with cPanel.

For my personal needs, a control panel was always more of a convenience so the value isn’t really there at much higher prices. I suspect for personal use / VPS, the free panels will serve as useful alternatives.

That said, I wish DA the best of luck in their growth. I’m curious which control panel will emerge as the new ‘challenger’/cheap control panel though.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@raindog308 said:

Sir I almost spit my coffee. Have you considered Android ... I'm sure no more details are needed.

Hint: Linux.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

CPanel currently has the market share at the moment, but many hosts are making their own control panel, Krystal for example is making their own panel. Siteground already had done it. Many more will go the same way. As the market share decreases, CPanel will suffer with costs and progression. Especially their loan repayments.

There are already more control panels coming out.

The new CPanel WHM theme is half baked.

DA is growing and will grow.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@JamesF said:
    CPanel currently has the market share at the moment, but many hosts are making their own control panel, Krystal for example is making their own panel. Siteground already had done it. Many more will go the same way. As the market share decreases, CPanel will suffer with costs and progression. Especially their loan repayments.

Honestly, I like what you are saying. Makes sense.
    Considering the amount of accounts big player have in servers and what they are paying monthly to cPanel... it would make sense to hire a team of experienced senior devs and develop their own control panel.

In the end there are a couple of advantages like:
    -Ability to have a more friendly UI
    -Custom features that can help the product sell.
    -Distinction / deviation. Being unique. Comes to mind @Francisco Stallion, DO's panel, Vultr, Linode, Siteground. (Yeah I mixed some diff purpose panels as example).

Cons:
    -Cost. But big operations can afford this.

Last time I checked Liquidweb acquired a control panel InterWorx.

• MumblyMumbly Member

@JamesF said:

If I would go with webhosting instead vps hosting, I would never ever picked the one with unique home baked webhosting panel no matter how good it is solely because of potential migration issues.
    It would be nightmare if/when I would need to migrate away from this host.

@Mumbly said:

@JamesF said:

If I would go with webhosting instead vps hosting, I would never ever picked the one with unique home baked webhosting panel no matter how good it is solely because of potential migration issues.
    It would be nightmare if/when I would need to migrate away from this host.

Yeah I kind of agree, but from what I see. Most people now use Google Mail or Office365 for mail and it’s just a Wordpress website left to host. Moving a Wordpress site is a doddle. Things are changing online and control panels will no longer be at the top of peoples minds - website speed, support and service will be.

• HxxxHxxx Member

Plus... you are thinking in the technical web hosting users. But the majority is non-technical and don't know what a control panel is anyway, they just want to host a website, take this migrate it please kind of customer, with the "i don't have time for this".

Which is why the typical mainstream providers still reign.

Thanked by 1JamesF
  • LeeLee Veteran

@raindog308 said: I don't agree that market share = quality.

True, but the highest market share, for so long has given cPanel the biggest advantage of all. Most end-users use cPanel and are used to it. When the time comes they need/want to change provider, it will be another cPanel provider.

They still have market dominance, the majority of users still use cPanel. The cost remains insignificant for them even with the price increases.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited July 2022

Furthermore, cpanel dictates feature set of control panels. DA just follows barely. It is hard to say, but DA is behind and if they don't ramp up by a lot - they will always be #3 (after plesk).

Interesting how many devs does da have? 2-4? While cpanel has 100+. Physics can't be ignored.

edited July 2022

@LTniger said:
    Interesting how many devs does da have? 2-4? While cpanel has 100+. Physics can't be ignored.

DA has a loyal fanbase. Some of them are hardcore.

In my opinion, this is also one of the biggest hurdles for DA to leap ahead. DA seems to prioritize them when making any changes, instead of looking beyond to bring the changes that would give them any chance to move ahead.

@DA_Mark maybe can help with development.

I must say I find DA easy to manage.