Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DirectAdmin Price Increase - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DirectAdmin Price Increase

Comments

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

I am pretty sure @DA_Mark will watch how the situation unfolds after the announcement before making any public comment.

After all, anything he says is official B)

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

So, this was in motion from awhile. Notice when they started offering discount for retail license volumes.

Automatic retail license 15% discount after four (4) Standard Licenses (or equivalent value of any combination of recurring licenses). Discount reaches 25% at nine (9) Standard licenses (or equivalent value of any combination of recurring licenses). Must use balance as payment method (prepaid funds), due to dynamic pricing.

At that time was not sure why its there as generally hosting provider will apply for Internal (cheaper) license when they are using multiple licenses.

On the other hand, by allowing very cheap bulk internal license where provider like @Francisco @Clouvider etc. started offering for free, they must be looking for wider adaptation, hoping that in future when they discontinue internal license, they will have great number of users accustomed to DA, so even after price increase they may choose DA as still it will be cheaper than cPanel.

Now the way they have proposed internal license discontinuation yet allowing existing holders to keep as long as they pay for it, it means existing provider with bulk license will be able to get it at similar pricing as long as they maintain the quantity but there will not be new provider who can offer free or very cheap with hosting.

In nutshell, DA kept providing cheaper license to increase adoption and now I think by Aug,2023 they have projected that userbase will be enough to change pricing.

Thanked by 1JamesF
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited July 2022

I mean...... people when you say DA has a lot to catch on I would like to know what you are referring too. Are you a lazy admin (want to be quick clicking stuff) or lack skills (struggling) , that need GUI for a certain feature? Or are you referring to the features that actually are targetting retail - enduser - customer?

From my experience, DA user areA (not reseller, not admin) is very feature rich, super easy it has everything that a normal / standard aka "normie" customer will need.

A list of features to debate on, would be nice. DA Mark could actually look at those.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@Arkas said:
    Yeah, saw it as well. I knew it was coming, and it sucks as DA is my favorite, but I am now either going without a cp or using Vesta/Hestia

Keyhelp is also nice. Anyway, HestiaCP would probably be preferred of the two :)

Thanked by 2Arkas TODO
  • HxxxHxxx Member

From the user perspective the only thing that comes to mind that I think it (DA) lacks but might not be used at all by customers is the webdav. Some users like that feature on cPanel, and it makes sense.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@zafouhar said: Didn't @Francisco offer free licenses, I wonder if Buyvm will discontinue the free licenses?

We'll be fine :)

Francisco

Thanked by 2SinV Arkas
  • DirectAdmin in my opinion is far behind cPanel or Plesk in terms of features.

Price increment at this stage will kill their mainstream adaption.

Most DA users are refugees from cpanel high pricing, that's their main selling point IMO

@nikozin said:
    DirectAdmin in my opinion is far behind cPanel or Plesk in terms of features.

Price increment at this stage will kill their mainstream adaption.

Most DA users are refugees from cpanel high pricing, that's their main selling point IMO

Should add, there's no price hike, simply just nix'ing the internal licensing that very few people made good use of.

Francisco

Thanked by 2nikozin LowVM
  • JasonMJasonM Member

@bikegremlin said: Its new ("Jupiter") skin is awful, and I'm happy to be allowed to use the "obsolete" "Paper lantern."

exactly! the new jupiter skin is so bare-bones, no icons, only text. I also use the old Paper Lantern. It's always easier to find clickable items with icons. Some really bad UX design is of this Jupiter skin!

Thanked by 2Arkas bikegremlin
  • JasonMJasonM Member
    edited July 2022

I am just sharing this info with other users who manage VPS or dedicated servers for themselves. I am using Cloudpanel (a free control panel) as an alternative to cPanel and Directadmin and Plesk since Jan 2021 and I am very happy with the way that this control panel is built. It is slim, and way better than cPanel and directadmin. Eats less cpu/memory and loads faster on 1GB vps too!

I was able to install it on self managed VPS. The V1 which is currently available runs only on Debian 10(The Gen4 VPS and Dedicated Servers do support Debian 10 OS while setting up the server). The V2 version is under active development and shall be made available at the end of this quarter. The V1 had few limitations like does not run on Ubuntu, no file manager, no php isolation and so on and all those are now fixed in V2. The Cloudpanel V2 is feature rich and looks promising (seriously better than cPanel/directadmin)

some screenshots:

Thanked by 2Arkas Ympker
  • nikozinnikozin Member
    edited July 2022

@JasonM said:
    I am just sharing this info with other users who manage VPS or dedicated servers for themselves. I am using Cloudpanel (a free control panel) as an alternative to cPanel and Directadmin and Plesk since Jan 2021 and I am very happy with the way that this control panel is built. It is slim, and way better than cPanel and directadmin. Eats less cpu/memory and loads faster on 1GB vps too!

I was able to install it on self managed VPS. The V1 which is currently available runs only on Debian 10(The Gen4 VPS and Dedicated Servers do support Debian 10 OS while setting up the server). The V2 version is under active development and shall be made available at the end of this quarter. The V1 had few limitations like does not run on Ubuntu, no file manager, no php isolation and so on and all those are now fixed in V2. The Cloudpanel V2 is feature rich and looks promising (seriously better than cPanel/directadmin)

The free panels like Hestia, Cloudpanel, Cyberpanel are nice and feature rich. While they do have firewall (port blocking etc.) but they don't come with Web-application-firewall with Comodo or OWASP rulsets.

The main reason behind using such control panels is that you setup things and forget and focus on your content without worrying about updates/security

If you have to login your control panel every other day, this basically kills the purpose and you're better off using manual configuration on a fresh VM

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @JasonM said:

@bikegremlin said: Its new ("Jupiter") skin is awful, and I'm happy to be allowed to use the "obsolete" "Paper lantern."

exactly! the new jupiter skin is so bare-bones, no icons, only text. I also use the old Paper Lantern. It's always easier to find clickable items with icons. Some really bad UX design is of this Jupiter skin!

That's why I call it "Uranus," if you catch my drift. :)

WHM re-vamp is a lot better. But cPanel... God... WHY?!?! Who beta-tested that UI?!

Thanked by 2JasonM Ympker
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@JasonM said: The V2 version is under active development and shall be made available at the end of this quarter. The V1 had few limitations like does not run on Ubuntu, no file manager, no php isolation and so on and all those are now fixed in V2

That sounds great! On the site, it says it does run on debian 11 and ubuntu 22.04, is that the case? How is email management?
    Thanks!

• JasonMJasonM Member

@nikozin said: The main reason behind using such control panels is that you setup things and forget and focus on your content without worrying about updates/security

yes. agree. that's where cloudflare firewall rules come. one can block accessing crucial parts of the site or restrict to home ip.

• JasonMJasonM Member

@Arkas said: How is email management?

there's no email management with cloudpanel. I've just installed a phpmail script and using it.

Thanked by 2Arkas jcolideles
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@JasonM said: there's no email management with cloudpanel. I've just installed a phpmail script and using it.

I knew it was too good to be true :disappointed: , that's something I would really need.
    It checks every other box. I'm going to give it a try now.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @JasonM said:

@Arkas said: How is email management?

there's no email management with cloudpanel. I've just installed a phpmail script and using it.

+1 on CPanel, it's nice to have a panel that focuses only on webserver side. No Postfix, exim, dovecot or other bloat.

• jhjh Member
    edited July 2022

A long time ago there was a post about a control panel that looked like crap but did everything, written entirely in C++. Not free but pricing was very reasonable. Does anyone remember it?

Also FWIW I've been using the new InterWorx for over a year now and very happy with it. It will feel familiar to anyone used to working with cPanel, more so than DA. I imagine they will be hiking their prices at some point too, though - I'm speculating that the long term plan is for LiquidWeb to make it an internal thing and make external licenses either expensive or completely inaccessible.

• The real problem here for MSPs is that they can no more be competitive on pricing. As DirectAdmin is cheaper, almost most of the hosting providers started offering Managed VPS plans as low as $10 and $15, given they own the VPS node themselves.

With new competitors like Cloudways and other providers who built their own panels, it doesn't cost them anything to bundle a control panel with a VPS from a third party. Now the margin those providers have is quite high given they only pay a discounted price to their providers.

When Cloudways or other providers can offer $10 Managed VPS, other traditional hosts relying on DA would have to pay 10 or 20 or 30 bucks just for the control panel, plus the server costs, plus support costs.

The same VPS size that a provider with their in-house panel can offer for $10 cannot be offered for less than $35 (at least) by other hosts who rely on DA till next year.

If you ask me, that's a serious problem to look out for by next year.

For almost a few years now, all I could see is Software providers backstabbing hosting providers, who did nothing but pay them money to develop their products further and introduced them to a world of clients. Some may call changes as this is Capitalism, but I call it pure greed.

• @Francisco said:

@zafouhar said: Didn't @Francisco offer free licenses, I wonder if Buyvm will discontinue the free licenses?

Francisco

So does that mean that you got a reply on your ticket, and they confirmed you will be able to continue offering free licenses? I was literally about to pull the trigger when the DA price change news dropped.

@ColonelPanic said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

So does that mean that you got a reply on your ticket, and they confirmed you will be able to continue offering free licenses? I was literally about to pull the trigger when the DA price change news dropped.

We talked with DA and are making some changes on our own end so we should have no problem continuing to offer these licenses for free :)

Enjoy.

Francisco

Thanked by 4SinV Foul szarka tjn

@Francisco said:

@ColonelPanic said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

We talked with DA and are making some changes on our own end so we should have no problem continuing to offer these licenses for free :)

Enjoy.

Francisco

Already guessed so, DA doesn't want to have anymore free DA / bundled license provider.

@Saahib said: Already guessed so, DA doesn't want to have anymore free DA / bundled license provider.

That's for DA to talk about.

All I care about is making sure our users are covered and don't see a change in the services we offer :)

Get a slice!

Francisco

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • I dont unterstand Mark from DA....It is clear that this path will not work indefinitely or for every company.

DA Mark prefer to get upset about the honest but exactly the same choice of words in the ticket (no offense, but what is shit, must be called shit), instead of dealing with it in terms of content. This is very unfortunate and reminds us then the showdown of Burst.net. There we got half a year before the bankruptcy also partly very arrogant answers via ticket...Well..Burst.net is gone....

The deep fall is coming..and it's not a question of if, but only when!

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2022

@Internoc24 said:
    I dont unterstand Mark from DA....It is clear that this path will not work indefinitely or for every company.

What path? Forcing everyone to use the retail licensing on their website?

Honestly the times I've ever talked to anyone at DA about issues they have always been responsive and no-bullshit. If internal licensing is being abused or not profitable, having potential DA customers use the normal pricing shouldn't be a huge deal. It's still a VERY affordable option, starting at what, $24/y?

edited July 2022

Probably internal licensing is hurting retail sale and people those are buying retail are only buying for "power pack" and they said it too.

IMO, they should let DA spread further with current internal pricing, have more adaptation. I know there are a lot of users using DA just because its free or very cheap coming bundled with many hosting providers.

• What will happen to free licenses given by some VPS providers?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2022

@Cappuccino said:
    What will happen to free licenses given by some VPS providers?

I would assume nothing, it just means new ones can't be created. Providers can reissue existing licenses surely and cycle them between customers.

@Cappuccino said:
    What will happen to free licenses given by some VPS providers?

It also means that there won't be any new providers who can offer free DA license.

Thanked by 1MechanicWeb
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited July 2022

As long as they don't start charging per account is all good. Nobody should charge providers per account/user when the provider is the one paying for the hardware, the colo, network /bandwidth, staff, etc. That is like buying a car and the company charging you each time people get in the car to travel.

The above is specially for panels such as cPanel and DA that are self hosted.

However I do understand SaaS control panels charging by account since they are incurring in the cost of each access of that web panel. Naturally since is SaaS and centralized.

Thanked by 1_MS_