Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DirectAdmin Price Increase - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DirectAdmin Price Increase

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2022

@Hxxx said:
    As long as they don't start charging per account is all good. Nobody should charge providers per account/user when the provider is the one paying for the hardware, the colo, network /bandwidth, staff, etc. That is like buying a car and the company charging you each time people get in the car to travel.

The above is specially for panels such as cPanel and DA that are self hosted.

However I do understand SaaS control panels charging by account since they are incurring in the cost of each access of that web panel. Naturally since is SaaS and centralized.

It's hard to say. A SaaS/control panel company is probably concerned if huge companies running massive systems making thousands a month on that single hardware are only being charged $25/m, while smaller people with a small fraction of accounts pay the same. They could be making so much more off of the big fish. If you have the capital and can pack 400% on a single system and pay the same software fees, you know? With VPS it's different for SaaS, it isn't feasible to charge per VPS as a control panel SaaS for obvious reasons.

Imagine the money cPanel started raking in from the massive million dollars hosts after the per account pricing. The smaller guys paying more like me and the other LET hosts are absolutely nothing compared to those.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited July 2022

Man I understand @MikeA but nobody should take profit from you because your hardware is powerful and can accomodate more users. If they want to make more profit, they either bump their BASE pricing which is ok, $50,60,70,80,100/mo, whatever, instead of charging per account. After all (and i'm looking at this from a dev perspective) what is a control panel? A way to manage resources, most of the time (in these cases of cPanel , DA, Plesk) open source software or free software.

To me , and this is an opinion, is just not worth for providers to pay for each account.

What this causes is for providers with the means to develop their own control panel, do it and abandon the product. Look at SiteGround.

...Anyway noticed your response was in reply to SaaS.

@Hxxx said:
    but nobody should take profit from you because your hardware is powerful and can accomodate more users.

Yeah, but it's business, and when a business (especially North American businesses lol) sees a way to squeeze more profit, especially if they have no or little direct, comparable competition, they will.

Am I'm referring to SaaS being the hosting control panels.

Thanked by 1adly
  • HxxxHxxx Member

@MikeA said:

@Hxxx said:
    but nobody should take profit from you because your hardware is powerful and can accomodate more users.

Yeah, but it's business, and when a business (especially North American businesses lol) sees a way to squeeze more profit, especially if they have no or little direct, comparable competition, they will.

Am I'm referring to SaaS being the hosting control panels.

Base price increase make more sense. I believe that's the way it was before cPanel switched to base + user.

• They want to squiz more out of us...

@papalala said:

@papalala said: squeeze

Maybe they just want to squeeze you in general?

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • adlyadly Veteran
    edited July 2022

SaaS itself, I don’t have a problem with. Yes, it’s not as good a deal for the consumer, but how software is used and maintenance expectations have changed such that a recurring income is required for most commercial software to be sustainable.

The exploitation of clients depending on their income is more capitalist, but it seems that’s the way the west is heading generally.

• Tom_BTom_B Member

I'm using the personal license for a few websites and mailboxes :(

The personal version will no longer receive updates after August 1 2023?

• webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited July 2022

@MechanicWeb said:
    With DA's retail pricing, they will need to compete in support quality and software stability.

cPanel and Plesk both are clearly ahead of DA in support quality, and the size of the support team.

Users could always go back to Plesk instead of paying more to DA.

Ohh yes, cPanel support is prem.

@Tom_B said:
    The personal version will no longer receive updates after August 1 2023?

If they handle it like with the current legacy licenses, updates will stop for most features shortly after this date. Maybe you'll get some security fixes but all in all it won't be worth the money anymore as it disconnects from the current version quickly.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Tom_B said: The personal version will no longer receive updates after August 1 2023?

Wait, what? Surely not. You are paying for that license? Thought this was only about internal licences...

• adlyadly Veteran

@Lee said:

@Tom_B said: The personal version will no longer receive updates after August 1 2023?

Wait, what? Surely not. You are paying for that license? Thought this was only about internal licences...

They’re discontinuing any license without the Pro Pack, including the current Personal license.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • HxxxHxxx Member

That's info I didn't knew.
    Go with the next tier. $5 it has two users (this way you don't use the admin) and pro pack. Is 3 more a month with actual benefits.

• @Francisco said:

@Saahib said: Already guessed so, DA doesn't want to have anymore free DA / bundled license provider.

That's for DA to talk about.

All I care about is making sure our users are covered and don't see a change in the services we offer :)

Get a slice!

Francisco

on a side note, is any of your hosting available?

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2022

@KavinRaj said:
    The real problem here for MSPs is that they can no more be competitive on pricing. As DirectAdmin is cheaper, almost most of the hosting providers started offering Managed VPS plans as low as $10 and $15, given they own the VPS node themselves.

With new competitors like Cloudways and other providers who built their own panels, it doesn't cost them anything to bundle a control panel with a VPS from a third party. Now the margin those providers have is quite high given they only pay a discounted price to their providers.

When Cloudways or other providers can offer $10 Managed VPS, other traditional hosts relying on DA would have to pay 10 or 20 or 30 bucks just for the control panel, plus the server costs, plus support costs.

The same VPS size that a provider with their in-house panel can offer for $10 cannot be offered for less than $35 (at least) by other hosts who rely on DA till next year.

If you ask me, that's a serious problem to look out for by next year.

For almost a few years now, all I could see is Software providers backstabbing hosting providers, who did nothing but pay them money to develop their products further and introduced them to a world of clients. Some may call changes as this is Capitalism, but I call it pure greed.

This is what I am worried about. I understand price increases are a reality. But these increases are harming us as an industry. We are losing competitiveness. Hence, it does feel like backstabbing.

Control panel or software price hikes are different from hosting price hikes. A provider can choose to increase prices for new clients only and keep existing services at old prices. It does not have any impact outside of the provider's client base.

But when a software vendor increases prices for new orders and keeps existing licenses on old pricing, while it is generous to do so, it creates an advantage for the software vendor, as existing license holders, e.g. the strength of the vendors' client base, are less likely to raise their voices against the price hike. So the price hike is more likely to go more smoothly.

On the other hand, it creates an existential disadvantage/barrier for new and smaller providers. New/smaller providers lose their competitiveness altogether.

While providers with old licenses can offer a license with unlimited accounts for free, a new provider will have to charge $29 additional. Who do you think a client looking for a competitive price might choose?

Is this good for the industry as a whole? Are we less likely to see new competitive providers?

This also puts the providers in a perpetual hunt for a permanent control panel solution that will help them be competitive with larger, non DA providers.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@pikachupokemon said: on a side note, is any of your hosting available?

We haven't restocked shared in over a year. We intend to once I make progress with Namecrane, but we have other pressing matters to address first :)

Francisco

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited July 2022

@MechanicWeb said:

@KavinRaj said:
    The real problem here for MSPs is that they can no more be competitive on pricing. As DirectAdmin is cheaper, almost most of the hosting providers started offering Managed VPS plans as low as $10 and $15, given they own the VPS node themselves.

With new competitors like Cloudways and other providers who built their own panels, it doesn't cost them anything to bundle a control panel with a VPS from a third party. Now the margin those providers have is quite high given they only pay a discounted price to their providers.

When Cloudways or other providers can offer $10 Managed VPS, other traditional hosts relying on DA would have to pay 10 or 20 or 30 bucks just for the control panel, plus the server costs, plus support costs.

The same VPS size that a provider with their in-house panel can offer for $10 cannot be offered for less than $35 (at least) by other hosts who rely on DA till next year.

If you ask me, that's a serious problem to look out for by next year.

For almost a few years now, all I could see is Software providers backstabbing hosting providers, who did nothing but pay them money to develop their products further and introduced them to a world of clients. Some may call changes as this is Capitalism, but I call it pure greed.

This is what I am worried about. I understand price increases are a reality. But these increases are harming us as an industry. We are losing competitiveness. Hence, it does feel like backstabbing.

Control panel or software price hikes are different to hosting price hikes. A provider can choose to increase prices for new clients only and keep existing services on old prices. It does not have any impact outside of the provider's client base.

But when a software vendor increases prices for new orders, and keeps existing licenses on old pricing, while it is generous to do so, it creates an advantage for the software vendor, as existing license holders, e.g. the strength of the vendors' client base, are less likely to raise their voices against the price hike. So the price hike is more likely to go more smoothly.

On the other hand, it creates an existential disadvantage/barrier for new and smaller providers. New/smaller providers lose their competitiveness altogether.

While providers with old licenses can offer a license with unlimited accounts for free, a new provider will have to charge $29 additional. Whom do you think a client looking for a competitive price might choose?

Is this good for the industry as a whole? Are we less likely to see new competitive providers?

This also makes the providers in a perpetual hunt for a permanent control panel solution that will help them being competitive with larger, non DA providers.

Good point also what Kavin said.

In my opinion the only permanent solution to this is to develop your own control panel. From a dev perspective is not too complicated to do so as long as good practices are followed. If you have the volume is more worthy to you in the end. It also gives an advantage, makes you unique. Room to innovate.

It is boring that everyone uses the same control panels and don't make an effort to give the user a different UX.

With managed WP hosting providers, the ones specialized on that, we can see custom control panels. That's part of what makes it interesting. Who is the easiest? One click this, one click that. No complexity.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Hxxx said: develop your own control panel. From a dev perspective is not too complicated to do so

That must be why so many have their own panels...

• HxxxHxxx Member

@Lee said:

@Hxxx said: develop your own control panel. From a dev perspective is not too complicated to do so

That must be why so many have their own panels...

With the right team. That's no task for rookies.

edited July 2022

@Hxxx said:
    In my opinion the only permanent solution to this is to develop your own control panel. From a dev perspective is not too complicated to do so as long as good practices are followed.

It is easy to say that.

But hosting providers are not software developers. Smaller providers do not have the skill nor the budget to do so. It is smaller providers who bring competitiveness and industry growth to the table

Creating and maintaining a stable control panel is a monumental task, and a logistical nightmare. It is not just about writing some integration codes.

A common control panel gives the industry a common ground, and a proven, stable base to grow. The dominance of cPanel as the most used control panel in the hosting industry is a living proof. An user base with a common base, with a familiar environment across the board is essential for an industry to grow.

And diversity is not good for the hosting industry, or for any industry. A common, familiar base drives more growth.

With these price hikes, we are slowly killing the very industry that depends on these software.

Thanked by 2Lee niceboy
  • HxxxHxxx Member

@MechanicWeb agree to disagree.

I do software development primarily, been doing that for more than a decade. I'm confident that with the right team a provider with volume (cash) can certainly develop a solid control panel adapted to their user base. In the end once you cut the third party control panels (assuming you have volume) it should provide big savings. There is a reason why Siteground did it. I like to use them as example, since they are one of the most popular providers, veterans, for them to simply say "ok let's ditch cPanel" that was pretty ballsy and it seems it went fine.

I'm not saying small providers can do it.

edited July 2022

@Hxxx said:
    @MechanicWeb agree to disagree.

I do software development primarily, been doing that for more than a decade. I'm confident that with the right team a provider with volume (cash) can certainly develop a solid control panel adapted to their user base.

Alright. Take the last 30 years of the hosting industry into consideration. How many successful control panels do you see?

3,4? How many prominent/skilled software developers do you see over the last 40 years?

That span of years is a good example that it is not just about writing codes. That's one of the smallest parts.

There is a reason why Siteground did it. I like to use them as example, since they are one of the most popular providers, veterans, for them to simply say "ok let's ditch cPanel" that was pretty ballsy and it seems it went fine.

A few other fellow colleagues and I have actually commended them when they took that decision to stand up to them. I personally support their decision.

But the reality is that the control panel is not yet stable. We see regular complaints about that control panel from their users.

Isn't it appalling that a company of SiteGround's size is having trouble developing a control panel? A company of LiquidWeb's size is having trouble doing the same. How much does a smaller provider hold a chance? Almost none.

It would require a software development company whose primary product is the control panel they are developing.

And it would require an industry with a common base to support that software development company.

I'm not saying small providers can do it.

That makes the prospect of a custom-developed control panel or this discussion irrelevant to almost all providers in this community. :)

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited July 2022

@MechanicWeb do you consider yourself a small provider? You have been running more than a decade.

Also while there are small providers in this community, not all are really small providers. I had like to mention @Francisco since he developed his own control panel for VPS / VMs, while that is other market from what we are primarily discussing, it has it own challenges and he is no VULTR or DO company, yet he has his own control panel.

Just focusing on the "skilled" and "dedicated" keywords. While it seems impossible some people go above the odds and actually make it.

@Hxxx said:
    @MechanicWeb do you consider yourself a small provider? You have been running more than a decade.

Come on now! How much share of the hosting industry do we hold? 0.000000000000000000000000000000000001%?

• HxxxHxxx Member

@MechanicWeb said:

@Hxxx said:

Come on now! How much share of the hosting industry do we hold? 0.000000000000000000000000000000000001%?

You were fast to reply to that. I added a little bit more to my response.
    I get your point too.

@Hxxx said:

@MechanicWeb said:

I get your point too.

Let's not make a habit of taking an exception as a standard.

Francisco has been around for a quite a while, and made a business of their own. How many LET providers from ten years ago are still around?

• HxxxHxxx Member

@MechanicWeb said:

@Hxxx said:

@MechanicWeb said:

I get your point too.

Let's not make a habit of taking an exception as a standard.

Francisco has been around for a quite a while, and made a business of their own. How many LET providers from ten years ago are still around?

All I'm saying is let's not say is not possible. If you can't do it, I commend you for admitting to that and being realistic. But is not the same case for everyone. Once in a while a small provider can come up with a gem.

@Hxxx said:
    All I'm saying is let's not say is not possible.

If you take exceptions as justifications to your logic, I clearly do not have anything more to say.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@MechanicWeb said:

@Hxxx said:
    All I'm saying is let's not say is not possible.

If you take exceptions as justifications to your logic, I clearly do not have anything more to say.

I also see wrong when you say things like that, you are kind of limited in that form of thinking. It doesn't make justice to say that because most people can't do it then nobody can. There is always new talent rising.

Frameworks has evolved a lot from what they were 10 years ago. We have many new languages with their advantages and a whole new generation of developers.

@Hxxx said: I also see wrong when you say things like that, you are kind of limited in that form of thinking. It doesn't make justice to say that because most people can't do it then nobody can. There is always new talent rising.
    Frameworks has evolved a lot from what they were 10 years ago. We have many new languages with their advantages and a whole new generation of developers.

Let's not make it about me.

It doesn't make any difference to the hosting industry how much market share we or Francisco has in the hosting industry or what we can or cannot develop.

Every once in a while a talent can rise. Did it make any difference in the last ten years in the control panel industry? No

Individual gains or talents are insignificant when you consider the hosting industry as a whole.