Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] Buy this before I sober up - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] Buy this before I sober up

Comments

• My number one pride and joy at MXroute is delivering outbound emails. [..] but if you do that I'll get an email where it needs to go or I'll die trying.

Finally! We have proof that @Jar lovingly hand delivers each email for us!

Thanked by 2jar webcraft
  • xprebounxpreboun Member
    edited June 2022

Any chance MXRoute would implement DNSSEC or DANE in the next year?

Thanked by 1jar
  • Finally bit on an MXroute plan, thanks for sharing the offer with the community @jar. It feels good supporting a LET old guard member.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2022

@xpreboun said:
    Any chance MXRoute would implement DNSSEC or DANE in the next year?

Last time I did that I caused a service wide outage when I needed to quickly move DNS due to a DDOS attack. It’s not worth it and I won’t likely be doing it again until I meet a standard that best fits how I react to emergencies.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@jar before you sober up and remove the offer, please take a day off for a well deserved hangover so I have enough time to get some of my friends in on the offer :smiley:

Thanked by 1jar

@untitled said:
    Hi,
    Do your servers also support options like push notifications, IMAP idle or active sync? If yes, also for contacts and calendars?
    Thanks

IDLE is supported. No mechanisms promising "push" are implemented. Calendars and contacts: https://mxroutedocs.com/calendarcontacts/howdotheywork/

@spreader said:
    Hey @jar, trying to use SUMMER22 for Lifetime plan but getting "This coupon cannot be applied to your order". It should work for Lifetime right?

"25% off Small, Medium, Large, or Lifetime plans with promo code "SUMMER22" at checkout."

Thanks!

Oops. Fixed.

Thanked by 1szarka
  • @jar said: Oops. Fixed

In your defense, you're drunk. How believable would that be if you got everything right first try. ;-)

Thanked by 1jar
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited June 2022

@Hotmarer said:

@Razza said:
    @Hotmarer what you thinking of is IMAP idle it worked when I used mxroute in the past the mail client pulled new email within 20 or so secs after arrival.

But you had an email client configured to chcek for email every minute, for example. And I don't want to configure my client this way (sometimes you can't force it, e.g. in apple mail). I would like the mail server to send an email to my phone when it arrives because in one hour I can get 100 emails and nothing in the rest of the day.

Any good email client will support IMAP IDLE, which will give you instant notifications. It's like a decentralised push service, where the email client connects directly to the mail server for notifications, rather than an intermediary like Google or Apple's notifications server. This also means your email notification content isn't relayed through Google or Apple like it would be when using their push services.

One downside of IMAP IDLE is that it's per folder. If you have many folders with filtering rules that sort emails into folders, it'll need multiple connections to get push notifications for them. I have a lot of folders and configured my email client (@M66B's FairEmail on Android, and Thunderbird on desktop) to only use push for the most important ones, while the less important ones just check every 15 minutes.

ActiveSync is very similar to IMAP IDLE, except it uses a long-running HTTP connection rather than a long-running IMAP connection.

Thanked by 2jar Razza
  • RazzaRazza Member
    edited June 2022

@Daniel15 said: ActiveSync is very similar to IMAP IDLE, except it uses a long-running HTTP connection rather than a long-running IMAP connection.

ActiveSync is a lot more reliable and works a lot better if you got lots of folders, IMAP IDLE works fine most of the time for most users, I used to use it my on Mailcow server for my old Huawei phone on the default client as it was the only reliable way to mail to get fetched right away.

The power management on Android used to break imap idle on 3rd party apps by putting the app to sleep , now a days I just use IDLE as it works fine 99% of the time as mail client on my pc and my Samsung phone works fine on IDLE.

Thanked by 2jar MikePT
    edited June 2022

@Razza said: The power management android used too broke imap idle on 3rd party apps by putting the app to sleep

Usually you can configure it so the app doesn't sleep, and apps that are in the foreground usually aren't put to sleep. Apps use a hack of showing a permanent notification in order to always be treated as a foreground service.

Thanked by 1jar
  • AstroAstro Member

Is @jar drunk enough to throw a few $10/year offers in this thread?

Thanked by 2doublesquare jar
  • RazzaRazza Member

@Daniel15 said:

@Razza said: The power management android used too broke imap idle on 3rd party apps by putting the app to sleep

Usually you can configure it so the app doesn't sleep, and apps that are in the foreground usually aren't put to sleep. Apps use a hack of showing a permanent notification in order to always be treated as a foreground service.

That normally works the power management on my Huawei android was awful tried multiply email client they would work for a few hours then just stops.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar said: We're looking to deadpool soon so need to get a 3 year promo out.

Fucking lol. Quick buy up the lot! I can't buy 3 year promos if they deadpool!

Plot twist: @jar really is deadpooling and when people file chargebacks, jar refers to the deadpooling notice to say "I told you up front before you bought, you knew what you were buying" and wins all chargebacks.

It's fucking genius.

Thanked by 2jar yoursunny

@Astro said:

Truth be told I'm over a year sober :heart:

• AstroAstro Member

@jar said:

@Astro said:

Truth be told I'm over a year sober :heart:

:) that's pretty dope!

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@Astro said:

There’s always numerous resellers if not

Thanked by 1jar
  • fanfan Veteran

@Razza said: Huawei android

The battery saver is the culprit, disabling it via adb helps.

Thanked by 1jar
  • szarkaszarka Member

Random question, @jar. Does Mxroute support the DirectAdmin API? Just toying with the idea that I could automate adding accounts via Ansible if I wanted to do a reseller account.

Thanked by 1jar

@szarka said:
    Random question, @jar. Does Mxroute support the DirectAdmin API? Just toying with the idea that I could automate adding accounts via Ansible if I wanted to do a reseller account.

Absolutely. And their ACL with login keys is actually better than most expect.

Thanked by 1szarka
  • armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

‘You aren’t married to it’ - got me.

I will most likely order a new service just by that sentence.

Thanked by 1jar
  • The GTA style opening dialog is clever. Great targeted marketing.

Thanked by 1jar
  • szarkaszarka Member

@armandorg said:
    ‘You aren’t married to it’ - got me.

I will most likely order a new service just by that sentence.

This is what sold me.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Daniel15 said:

@Hotmarer said:

@Razza said:
    @Hotmarer what you thinking of is IMAP idle it worked when I used mxroute in the past the mail client pulled new email within 20 or so secs after arrival.

But you had an email client configured to chcek for email every minute, for example. And I don't want to configure my client this way (sometimes you can't force it, e.g. in apple mail). I would like the mail server to send an email to my phone when it arrives because in one hour I can get 100 emails and nothing in the rest of the day.

Any good email client will support IMAP IDLE, which will give you instant notifications. It's like a decentralised push service, where the email client connects directly to the mail server for notifications, rather than an intermediary like Google or Apple's notifications server. This also means your email notification content isn't relayed through Google or Apple like it would be when using their push services.

One downside of IMAP IDLE is that it's per folder. If you have many folders with filtering rules that sort emails into folders, it'll need multiple connections to get push notifications for them. I have a lot of folders and configured my email client (@M66B's FairEmail on Android, and Thunderbird on desktop) to only use push for the most important ones, while the less important ones just check every 15 minutes.

ActiveSync is very similar to IMAP IDLE, except it uses a long-running HTTP connection rather than a long-running IMAP connection.

But in imap idle the connection to the server has to be kept alive all the time.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited June 2022

@Hotmarer said:

@Daniel15 said:

@Hotmarer said:

@Razza said:

But in imap idle the connection to the server has to be kept alive all the time.

With any sort of push notifications, a connection has to be kept alive all the time. That's how your phone gets the notification.

On Android, a lot of apps use Google's Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM), but you don't have to use it. Some apps use a different solution like https://pushy.me/ (which use their own servers), and very large apps or apps that don't want to relay the notifications through Google often have their own infra for notifications. All of these need a persistent connection to a server.

Thanked by 1jar
  • HotmarerHotmarer Member
    edited June 2022

@Daniel15 said:

@Hotmarer said:

@Daniel15 said:

@Hotmarer said:

@Razza said:

With any sort of push notifications, a connection has to be kept alive all the time. That's how your phone gets the notification.

On Android, a lot of apps use Google's Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM), but you don't have to use it. Some apps use a different solution like https://pushy.me/ (which use their own servers), and very large apps or apps that don't want to relay the notifications through Google often have their own infra for notifications. All of these need a persistent connection to a server.

Oh, I mean something else, I don't mean push notifications. I mean something like https://z-push.org/. Also I mean the default Mail client on IOS which only has the option push or fetch in the mail account.

I also know that even z-push requires a connection, but it is a better option than fetching data from the server every minute or every hour.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Hotmarer said: I mean something like https://z-push.org/.

Z-Push uses ActiveSync which also has a connection that's kept alive all the time :smile:

the default Mail client on IOS

I'm not familiar with Apple's iOS mail client, but maybe they restrict "push" to only mean push notifications that go via Apple's servers.

@Hotmarer said:

@Daniel15 said:

@Hotmarer said:

@Daniel15 said:

@Hotmarer said:

@Razza said:

Oh, I mean something else, I don't mean push notifications. I mean something like https://z-push.org/. Also I mean the default Mail client on IOS which only has the option push or fetch in the mail account.

I also know that even z-push requires a connection, but it is a better option than fetching data from the server every minute or every hour.

When I get Cal/CardDAV to a place that matches what I personally want, I'm considering zpush again. They can be combined for great win.

Thanked by 2Hotmarer adly
  • @jar said:

@Hotmarer said:

@Daniel15 said:

@Hotmarer said:

@Daniel15 said:

@Hotmarer said:

@Razza said:

When I get Cal/CardDAV to a place that matches what I personally want, I'm considering zpush again. They can be combined for great win.

In that case, I'm waiting. Just remember to do the 5$ promotion.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Daniel15 said: I'm not familiar with Apple's iOS mail client, but maybe they restrict "push" to only mean push notifications that go via Apple's servers.

Push notifications work normally in the Mail client. What I mean here is that when an email comes to my mailbox connected via ActiveSync (office365), the message is downloaded immediately within a second. But when a message comes to an inbox connected with imap, then the message is downloaded even in a few hours when I do not use the phone. I can enforce a minimum refresh time of 15 minutes but that doesn't fix the problem further.

Thanked by 1jar

@Hotmarer said:

@jar said:

@Hotmarer said:

@Daniel15 said:

@Hotmarer said:

@Daniel15 said:

@Hotmarer said:

@Razza said:

In that case, I'm waiting. Just remember to do the 5$ promotion.

Should be noted though that even zpush is just icing on the same cake. It polls regularly and sends you an update, it's not any more of a real time stream but it kind of creates the illusion of it. That's why I want calendar and contacts with it, so at least iOS users get this hugely simplified setup process.

Thanked by 1adly