Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Reseller apocalypse is coming. Are you affected?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Reseller apocalypse is coming. Are you affected?

stefemanstefeman Member
edited June 2022 in General

TL:DR, IPs will be soon billed separately.

Will be interesting to see how many providers will have to raise prices or directly cannot afford to renew.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited June 2022

As our dearest deank always says - the end is nigh.

Or in this case, the end is $/€.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited June 2022

Translated text:

Given the scarcity and therefore the increase in the cost of IPv4, we will not be able to maintain the freeness of additional IPv4

The price of IPv4 / month will be an average of the purchases we have made in the last 10 years.

• new IPv4 0e then 1.49e/mo
    • old IPv4 it will take 3 years to raise the price from 0.00e/mo to 1.49e/mo
    • those who use IPv4 to send emails in volume will contribute to the costs of the SOC which fights spam and works on the reputation of our IPv4s: 0.99e/IPv4/mo

We will apply the new prices on new IPv4 around Sep 2022.
    We think to start the price change on old IPv4

• Jan 2023: 0.24e/ip
    • July 2023: 0.49e/ip
    • Jan 2024: 0.74e/ip
    • July 2024: 0.99e/ip
    • Jan 2025: 1.24e/ip
    • July: 2025: 1.49e/ip

To qualify if 1 IPv4 is used to send emails in volume, we use the anti-spam network set up 7-8 years ago. It counts the number of emails per sec, min, hour, day, week, month. We are bumping up the qualification thresholds. Established: Jan 2023

The fight against spam, and therefore the price of 0.99e/ip, concerns all IPv4s on our AS16276 network, including IPv4s that belong directly to customers.

I have no idea what the last two paragraphs is about.

• AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

Affected partially.

• does this affect your primary IP as well? which would raise the price of kimsufi by like 1,5euro

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@szymonp said:
    does this affect your primary IP as well? which would raise the price of kimsufi by like 1,5euro

Unlikely:

we will not be able to maintain the freeness of additional IPv4

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
  • JabJabJabJab Member

So I can drop my VPS I have there only because it had 16 IPs accumulated over years with 'one time fee only'. Thanks OVH!

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @Abd said:
    Affected partially, we have two /24 ranges in apnic.
    Trying to figure path ahead.

I have one of these EU LXC's with you and it uses OVH IP's as well

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited June 2022

@Francisco said: Called it?

That wasn't hard. Everyone that knows anything about IPv4 (and OVH history) know it will end this way (again...)
    However this time we have gradually price increase rather than all in one go.

@JabJab said: That wasn't hard. Everyone that knows anything about IPv4 (and OVH history) know it will end this way However this time we have gradually price increase rather than in one go.

Depends what they count as 'new'. Does 'new' mean ranges they buy from today onwards, or from 2020 onwards? 2021 onwards was when we started to see IP's go up 300%+.

Francisco

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@stefeman said: I have no idea what the last two paragraphs is about.

@szymonp said: does this affect your primary IP as well?

Only the spam part seems to affect those. If they determine you send "too much" E-Mail, you get an extra 0.99 EUR per IP monthly fee, including even main IPs for a server.

Thanked by 2szymonp Erisa

@szymonp said:

@Abd said:

No immediate effect. you're safe for your billing period.

• @Abd said:

@szymonp said:

@Abd said:

I mean yeah just that you said you only have IP's with them only in apnic but you also have IP's with them in EU

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited June 2022

@Francisco said: Depends what they count as 'new'.

New from client-side point of view.
    If you order additional IP after the cutout date (Sep 2022), it's new.
    If you already have 118757815 IPs (before Sep 2022) - it's old and it will take 3 years to pay full price, but next January you are hit with invoice.

OVH farmed IPs, now gonna cashout, a little.

@szymonp said:

@Abd said:

@szymonp said:

@Abd said:

I mean yeah just that you said you only have IP's with them only in apnic but you also have IP's with them in EU

ah, I wrote wrong. I meant we have two own ranges from apnic, so we are not affected fully. Only European location is effected.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I think this was inevitable and OVH doing it in a very scaled approach is honestly a very reasonable thing to do.

They could spring 1.49/eur/month on people instantly if they wanted.

Guess I'll fill the rest of my slots on the SYS dedis and take advantage of grandfathered prices for a few more years.

Thanked by 4lentro hannes jsg Falzo

@JabJab said:

@Francisco said: Depends what they count as 'new'.

New from client-side point of view.
    If you order additional IP after the cutout date (Sep 2022), it's new.
    If you already have 118757815 IPs (before Sep 2022) - it's old and it will take 3 years to pay full price, but next January you are hit with invoice.

OVH farmed IPs, now gonna cashout, a little.

Thanks, i'm extra smooth brained today.

Still, people running/that ran from hetzner are kinda fucked.

Francisco

• LeeLee Veteran

@Francisco said: Still, people running/that ran from hetzner are kinda fucked.

Indeed. Got fucked over by OVH years ago when they moved from a single one-time Fee for IP's, then they started a regular fee then they made them 'free' again. Said this many times over the last couple of years that this is coming and here we are.

A reasonable way to introduce the fee but still.

• @LordSpock said:
    I think this was inevitable and OVH doing it in a very scaled approach is honestly a very reasonable thing to do.

They could spring 1.49/eur/month on people instantly if they wanted.

Guess I'll fill the rest of my slots on the SYS dedis and take advantage of grandfathered prices for a few more years.

Agree I like the way they are doing this vs Hetzner.

The only issue I have though is the excuse they are using of freeing up IP space. Once they introduce BYOIP and start charging even 0.49e per IP I am sure they will have lots of free IPs. Anything more than that price is for profit nothing else.

But hopefully OVH will change their mind once they start losing their only real advantage over Hetzner.

@Harmony said: The only issue I have though is the excuse they are using of freeing up IP space. Once they introduce BYOIP and start charging even 0.49e per IP I am sure they will have lots of free IPs. Anything more than that price is for profit nothing else.

They're going to charge 0.50EUR/m even for BYOIP?

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@Harmony said: The only issue I have though is the excuse they are using of freeing up IP space. Once they introduce BYOIP and start charging even 0.49e per IP I am sure they will have lots of free IPs. Anything more than that price is for profit nothing else.

They're going to charge 0.50EUR/m even for BYOIP?

Francisco

No I meant once they have that feature enabled plus start charging 0.49eu I am sure a lot of IPs will free up (mainly from the charge).

There is a fee I have heard it's around $50 per subnet min /24 but someone else confirm.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited June 2022

@Francisco said: They're going to charge 0.50EUR/m even for BYOIP?

--

stefeman said: The fight against spam, and therefore the price of 0.99e/ip, concerns all IPv4s on our AS16276 network, including IPv4s that belong directly to customers.

If you send a lot of e-mails, yes.

• PixelsPixels Member
    edited June 2022

@Francisco said:
    Called it?

Francisco

The question wasn't whether they would. It was when they would.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@Pixels said:

@Francisco said:
    Called it?

Francisco

Correct, this will raise prices of the bottom of the barrel resellers / VPS / game / hosting providers and is only good for the industry as a whole.

Thanked by 1HostSlick
  • PixelsPixels Member

@MrRadic said:

@Pixels said:

@Francisco said:
    Called it?

Francisco

Correct, this will raise prices of the bottom of the barrel resellers / VPS / game / hosting providers and is only good for the industry as a whole.

And hopefully good for IPv6 adoption too. Imagine the amount of people that have (and depend on) a ton of one-time fee IPv4 addresses. Now they are forced to move to IPv6 or shell out $$$

@Pixels said: And hopefully good for IPv6 adoption too. Imagine the amount of people that have (and depend on) a ton of one-time fee IPv4 addresses. Now they are forced to move to IPv6 or shell out $$$

You can't just "move to ipv6"....

Francisco

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@Pixels said:

@MrRadic said:

@Pixels said:

@Francisco said:
    Called it?

Francisco

And hopefully good for IPv6 adoption too. Imagine the amount of people that have (and depend on) a ton of one-time fee IPv4 addresses. Now they are forced to move to IPv6 or shell out $$$

IPv6 adoption is being limited by local ISPs.

Thanked by 1szymonp

@MrRadic said:

IPv6 adoption is being limited by local ISPs.

Doesn't make my point any less true :) We're a long way from being able to drop V4 connectivity.

Francisco

• HxxxHxxx Member

If I recall correctly as an end user you can just drop IPV4 , stay with IPV6 as long as you proxy through something like Cloudflare. You will still have IPV4 connectivity.

haven't tested it. At least the other way around works.

Thanked by 2johnnyquestion xms
  • @Francisco said:

@Pixels said: And hopefully good for IPv6 adoption too. Imagine the amount of people that have (and depend on) a ton of one-time fee IPv4 addresses. Now they are forced to move to IPv6 or shell out $$$

You can't just "move to ipv6"....

Francisco

The number of people affected decreases all the time. What few use cases can't move to IPv6 in this day and age of DNS? People will manage their IP's better now that there's a meaningful cost. The rest will use Cloudflare or similar to have inbound connectivity as needed.

In terms of residential broadband, modems get replaced every 3-5 years and it looks like they're enabling IPv6 on the replacement these days.

Thanked by 2Pixels xms