Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Reseller apocalypse is coming. Are you affected? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Reseller apocalypse is coming. Are you affected?

124»

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jbiloh said:
    The solution was so easy... Reallocate the IPv4 not in use and reserved.

Instead commercial interests took over and invented v6 to push forward a hardware upgrade super cycle.

That's not a solution though, that just frees up a bit more space. Instead of ARIN running out in 2015/2016, they would run out a few years later, if that.

Making things backwards/forwards compatible between them would've been great, or, push something new before the internet really took off.

Francisco

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@elliotc said: Economically speaking, ipv6 network construction also includes internal network construction for railroads, banks and the military, and regardless of which network transformation, it requires huge costs, very huge even for a country.

I would differentiate between an organizations' private and public network. I don't think many big organizations are planning to go all-IPv6, at least not any time in the remote future. The number of organizations that are going to burn through 16 million IPs on their internal network is pretty small. Their IPv4 is all setup and configured...and there's no payback on switching to IPv4 for a private network.

@jbiloh said: Instead commercial interests took over and invented v6 to push forward a hardware upgrade super cycle.

Is it really going to drive a super cycle? I think the rollout has been soooooo slow that by the time people are ready to do IPv6, everything has already supported it for decades so there's no sales bump.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@raindog308 said: Is it really going to drive a super cycle? I think the rollout has been soooooo slow that by the time people are ready to do IPv6, everything has already supported it for decades so there's no sales bump.

I definitely think that V6 prompted the earlier than planned retirement on a vast amount of Cisco core routing great (and also accelerated the shift of many enterprises away from Cisco to other, more cost effective and powerful alternatives).

About 7-8 years ago in the ISP and mid sized host realm there was a rush to retire 6500 series gear for just that reason.

• wii747wii747 Member

How does one return the IP address that are not used

• Only the coloncrossing owner could see such conspiracy, for obvious reasons.
    As I've said elsewhere, a quick look at the IPv6 RFCs would show why it's needed. However, logic isn't needed for wishful denialism :smile:

• cloudservercloudserver Member, Patron Provider

makes it very tough in a hosting environment with many IPs on a single node, I will be moving to a different reseller in locations that I can.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited June 2022

@jbiloh said:

@raindog308 said:

@default said: If price of IPv4 keeps going up, solution is obviously IPv6. Google already reports how many requests come from IPv6. If IPv4 keeps getting rare and expensive due to humanity's greed, it makes sense to embrace IPv6 and the evolution of technology.

If only IPv6 didn't suck so much...

The solution was so easy... Reallocate the IPv4 not in use and reserved.

Instead commercial interests took over and invented v6 to push forward a hardware upgrade super cycle.

NAT is not a solution. But this explains ColoCrossing in a nutshell. You'd have to be braindead to not foresee a need for an IPV4 replacement when thinking about all the possibilities for the future back decades ago, well before the NAT band-aid.

• @jbiloh said:

@raindog308 said: Is it really going to drive a super cycle? I think the rollout has been soooooo slow that by the time people are ready to do IPv6, everything has already supported it for decades so there's no sales bump.

I definitely think that V6 prompted the earlier than planned retirement on a vast amount of Cisco core routing great (and also accelerated the shift of many enterprises away from Cisco to other, more cost effective and powerful alternatives).

About 7-8 years ago in the ISP and mid sized host realm there was a rush to retire 6500 series gear for just that reason.

Jon,

I was taught IPv6 in college, in the year 2000. You're complaining about retiring obsolete shit in 2015. You're behind the curve.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • People, there's many reasons why IPv6 would be good for all but things don't always go as visioned.

Many of us thought we'd replace our landlines with VOIP, which IPv6 kills IPv4 in every way. But instead, society went to mobile networks where bandwidth is a premium and inbound server use is highly discouraged and mobile providers have incentive to not give IPv6 addresses or make inbound connectivity or voip easier.

But online gaming and software defined networks greatly benefit from IPv6 vs IPv4.

So VOIP wasn't the killer app, and gaming isn't turning out to be the killer app others hoped, so now software defined networking and VPN's/security is the next hope for the "killer app" that increases the IPv6 adoption.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@TimboJones said:

@jbiloh said:

Jon,

I was taught IPv6 in college, in the year 2000. You're complaining about retiring obsolete shit in 2015. You're behind the curve.

Never owned a 6500.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

@jbiloh said:

@TimboJones said:

@jbiloh said:

Jon,

Never owned a 6500.

6500 can do IPv6 just fine ;)
    I have some running still. Reliable devices. Again more then 2 year Uptime without problems or anything. They never die unlike they accidently fall out of the Rack.
    But in about a year or less will also go for new Routers.

• ralfralf Member
    edited June 2022

@TimboJones said:

You say, that but I remember in 2008 trying out he.net to get myself an IPv6 tunnel to see what all the fuss was about. Spent ages messing around setting it up, only to discover that the main reason nothing seemed to be working was that there was basically nobody else using IPv6 and so after a few days I stopped trying to use it.

(Interesting, I just checked and my account is still active, although my tunnel seems to have long since been deleted).

Also, back then, my ISP was giving out a /29 to anyone who asked for it, so this whole IPv4 address exhaustion thing didn't really seem that pressing.

In any case, it's disingenuous to make out it was a big thing in 2000, when almost a decade later there was still very little point using IPv6.

EDIT: I actually signed up to he.net in April 2008. Just found this amusing email from November 2008: "Hurricane Electric is happy to announce our IPv6 Certification service. This service provides you with something entertaining to do after you have established IPv6 connectivity, as well as a way to test your IPv6 readiness and your ability to host services on IPv6. The service is free."

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

@ralf said: You say, that but I remember in 2008 trying out he.net to get myself an IPv6 tunnel

How?

• @ralf said:

@TimboJones said:

You say, that but I remember in 2008 trying out he.net to get myself an IPv6 tunnel to see what all the fuss was about. Spent ages messing around setting it up, only to discover that the main reason nothing seemed to be working was that there was basically nobody else using IPv6 and so after a few days I stopped trying to use it.

I remember messing around with teredo in 2009's "Global IPv6 day", and I remember having successfully enabled it (with IPv6 support confirmed to be working as per some IPv6 test websites). So I'm not sure what didn't exactly work in your case, but functional IPv6 was certainly a thing back then.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2022

@Calin said: How?

That was just a marketing date for "let's just all enable it for real now", it was available and working for many years before that.

@TimboJones said: mobile providers have incentive to not give IPv6 addresses

On the contrary, the mobile providers have the incentive to deploy it, instead of having to maintain an enormous amount of IPv4 NAT machines. All the major traffic sources are on v6 (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube), so deploying that greatly lessens the share of traffic that the ISP's IPv4 NAT has to process. In the US the carriers also largely control the client devices (smartphones), so they can even get away with going IPv6-only.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • ralfralf Member
    edited June 2022

@stevewatson301 said:

I remember messing around with teredo in 2009's "Global IPv6 day", and I remember having successfully enabled it (with IPv6 support confirmed to be working as per some IPv6 test websites). So I'm not sure what didn't exactly work in your case, but functional IPv6 was certainly a thing back then.

Firstly, as I said this was in April 2008, so a year before you tried using it.

And I never said it didn't work, just that there was basically nothing on the internet that I wanted to connect to that had IPv6 support. I guess Google probably did, but given that I was going through a tunnel, it might well have been slower than using IPv4, but in any case I decided it wasn't worth moving my tunnel setup from my desktop linux box to the router so that it could be shared with my other machines.

• ralfralf Member

@Calin said:

@ralf said: You say, that but I remember in 2008 trying out he.net to get myself an IPv6 tunnel

How?

How what? I used he.net's tunnel. It's still available.

• kasodkkasodk Barred
    edited June 2022

@Calin said:

How?

Read:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_deployment

• xx00xxxx00xx Member

octava is still monitored by french gendarmerie and the C3N digital crime unit. there are some really big fishs out there, who normaly like to spend their holidays in marbella and some of them are forced to live now in dubai.

octava better puts an enormous amount of cash/gold/bitcoins to the side. because a lot of them still think, that the hack of encrochat could only happen, due to the fact that ovh helped the police more then they should. the day will come where he gets some visitors who want to talk...

• @rm_ said:

@Calin said: How?

That was just a marketing date for "let's just all enable it for real now", it was available and working for many years before that.

@TimboJones said: mobile providers have incentive to not give IPv6 addresses

On the contrary, the mobile providers have the incentive to deploy it, instead of having to maintain an enormous amount of IPv4 NAT machines. All the major traffic sources are on v6 (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube), so deploying that greatly lessens the share of traffic that the ISP's IPv4 NAT has to process. In the US the carriers also largely control the client devices (smartphones), so they can even get away with going IPv6-only.

Think more people running bit torrent and other things on "unlimited plans". You're just talking overhead traffic, I'm talking about more file serving additional traffic.

• @ralf said:

@TimboJones said:

(Interesting, I just checked and my account is still active, although my tunnel seems to have long since been deleted).

Also, back then, my ISP was giving out a /29 to anyone who asked for it, so this whole IPv4 address exhaustion thing didn't really seem that pressing.

In any case, it's disingenuous to make out it was a big thing in 2000, when almost a decade later there was still very little point using IPv6.

EDIT: I actually signed up to he.net in April 2008. Just found this amusing email from November 2008: "Hurricane Electric is happy to announce our IPv6 Certification service. This service provides you with something entertaining to do after you have established IPv6 connectivity, as well as a way to test your IPv6 readiness and your ability to host services on IPv6. The service is free."

It's an "if you build it, they will come" Field of Dreams thing.