Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Reseller apocalypse is coming. Are you affected? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Reseller apocalypse is coming. Are you affected?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@TimboJones said:

@Francisco said:

@Pixels said: And hopefully good for IPv6 adoption too. Imagine the amount of people that have (and depend on) a ton of one-time fee IPv4 addresses. Now they are forced to move to IPv6 or shell out $$$

You can't just "move to ipv6"....

Francisco

The number of people affected decreases all the time. What few use cases can't move to IPv6 in this day and age of DNS? People will manage their IP's better now that there's a meaningful cost. The rest will use Cloudflare or similar to have inbound connectivity as needed.

In terms of residential broadband, modems get replaced every 3-5 years and it looks like they're enabling IPv6 on the replacement these days.

So when do we get rid of V4 then? It's not happening when you think.

https://www.seattleix.net/statistics/
    https://stats.ams-ix.net/sflow/index.html (Ether Type)
    https://portal.linx.net/services/lans-flow

Check how much traffic is V4, and V6.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@MrRadic said:

IPv6 adoption is being limited by local ISPs.

Doesn't make my point any less true :) We're a long way from being able to drop V4 connectivity.

Francisco

Who is "we're" and "long way" in that case?

Thanked by 1xms
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@TimboJones said:

@Francisco said:

@MrRadic said:

Doesn't make my point any less true :) We're a long way from being able to drop V4 connectivity.

Francisco

The internet as a whole?

I mean, you have countries, like Canada, that have more IPV4 than they do citizen's; The UK's the same or close to it. There's many big markets that are in no rush to push things.

Francisco

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Some ISP's do proper dualstack, but ISP's like Vodafone, are full of shit.
    Vodafone gives you native IPv6 and tunnels IPv4 traffic over IPv6 to the translation servers, which are overloaded most of the time, since years.

Pretty neat.

• titustitus Member
    edited June 2022

If I remember correctly, long time ago they started to billing for the extra IPv4's, and when a lot of customer give them back with the used servers also they stopped this practice. This idea now "smarter" from them, because they try to do it gradually for the exist customers.. I'm curious what will be from it..

I think they have enough IPv4, this is only a "hidden/smart" price increasing for bigger customers.. :(

I'm not a reseller. I have an old Singapore ('discovery deal') VPS since 2018 with only one extra IPv4. It probably will be affected :(

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2022

@TimboJones said:

@Francisco said:

@Pixels said: And hopefully good for IPv6 adoption too. Imagine the amount of people that have (and depend on) a ton of one-time fee IPv4 addresses. Now they are forced to move to IPv6 or shell out $$$

Francisco

The number of people affected decreases all the time. What few use cases can't move to IPv6 in this day and age of DNS? People will manage their IP's better now that there's a meaningful cost. The rest will use Cloudflare or similar to have inbound connectivity as needed.

In terms of residential broadband, modems get replaced every 3-5 years and it looks like they're enabling IPv6 on the replacement these days.

lol using a tunnelbroker causes my ISP provided router to crash. no native V6.

(It was only released a year or two ago.)

• Time to cancel OVH servers

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2022

I think this will end the competitiveness of ovh as free Ips were the main attraction for ovh resellers . But with rising inflation, it is not surprise . and ipv4 is not going away anytime soon , I bet like 2050 or more .

• The End is Nigh

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2022

@TimboJones said: In terms of residential broadband, modems get replaced every 3-5 years and it looks like they're enabling IPv6 on the replacement these days.

I didn't see an ONT or even cable modem in the last 10 years not supporting IPv6 here. The problem is the providers which do not enable IPv6 at their end.
    I am not using IPv4 anymore on my KSes, everything is IPv6 including the block devices I use for back-ups.
    That being said, I am not ready to remove the IPv4 as long as it is free, why not have it there, just in case.

One of my IPv6 only Tor exits (with OVH), far cry from IPv4 ones (still with OVH but from random ppl) going at 20-30 times the rate:

Thanked by 2hostdare xms
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@doghouch said:

Why? What has your ISP provided you? Are you using your own gateway? Or just what your provider offered.

I suspect that very few ISP provided gateways will work with a tunnelbroker, they will need to be bypassed.

I'm very curious about the causes it to crash part... lol Crash your ISP's CPE by sending protocol 41 traffic to the IPv4 addresses?

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

It was inevitable, it will definitely change lot of things in Low-end market, as lots of hosts here have exposure to OVH in way or other. However, they will definitely want to keep themselves more lucrative than hetzner. I see even hetzner had to advertise on LET after their IP price increase.

• Time to drop a few idle VPS. Only keep them because of the free Ips

• Is this change coming to OVH customers as well or just resellers? I can’t find any source for this

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited June 2022

OVH, how dare you cleaning up a bit, adapting to the global IP situation, and, to make it worse, even demanding quite reasonable prices, and to top it off, demanding a rather small extra fee from those who actually are most likely to taint IPs/nets by potentially sending spam?

Can't you play nice and just demand €2 or €2.50 from everyone and for every IP like others, you bastards?!

@Francisco said:

Answer: about 95% is IP4.

Reason: the general population doesn't listen to the advice of IPv6 evangelists and fails to see that they should want no less than a couple of billion of public IPs e.g. for the billions of nanobots in their body (which they'd refuse anyway) per person.

Damn them as well as all the ISPs not switching to "a billion times more than you and your customers will ever need" IPv6 addresses!

And AMS-IX, how dare you? Haven't you been informed by the IPv6 evangelists that actually about somehow kind of sort of, you know, potentially 30% to 114% IPv6 use? How dare you showing actual real numbers that make the evangelists who tell us "IPv6 will take over and rule by next year or worst case the year after that" since about 20 years look like idiots?

• @jsg said: OVH, how dare you cleaning up a bit, adapting to the global IP situation, and, to make it worse, even demanding quite reasonable prices, and to top it off, demanding a rather small extra fee from those who actually are most likely to taint IPs/nets by potentially sending spam?

I would agree with your sentiment if only ovh didn't deliberately exhaust their IPs by giving them out basically for free, just so they can keep getting more IP subnets because they are "running out of IPs". Companies like ovh which intentionally waste IP space just to obtain more and more IP space contributed to global IPv4 exhaustion.

Thanked by 3jsg ralf Pixels
    edited June 2022

Same as with climate change and the war in Ukraine, people will only take action when they have to. Some future apocalypse fails to move anyone as long as they can still make a saving of 10 cents on a product worth 100 Eur.

As IPv4 prices go up, people will think about it, at this time they are affordable still.
    Same with the fossil fuels, before Russia started cranking up prices in August last year, Germany kept investing in gas power and pipes. Now they have a pile of junk they will have to convert to coal or scrap.
    People keep "investing" in IPv4 further creating scarcity, same as Russia creates scarcity by lowering the volumes delivered to the market at the cost of market share. On the other hand, people find alternative sources and arin ripe et all keep re-allocating their resources, the fight between hoarders and regulators will end badly for the former same as Russia keeps losing market share each day the prices stay up.

IPv4 prices can't go higher than a couple of Eur a month in average because at that price people will free some resources, ARIN and the like will cut the "leasing" business somehow if it goes even higher up, same with oil and gas, the price can't stay higher than 100 USD a barrel, at that price renewables are much cheaper.
    It might take a few years, but the markets will keep adjusting keeping the supply and demand in balance with some help from regulators in case they go way off.

• cadddrcadddr Member

Countries with large allocations of ipv4 have no incentive to move to ipv6, it only increases their costs.
    Most users don't care if it's ipv4/carrier pigeon transporting their tweets/youtube videos.

Thanked by 1hostdare
    edited June 2022

@cadddr said: Countries with large allocations of ipv4 have no incentive to move to ipv6, it only increases their costs.

Nobody asks them to move yet, just add IPv6. I am just happy I don't have to worry about NAT anymore.
    As for the costs, I don't think there is still gear which does not support IPv6 (new) at this time, sooner or later, 10 yo routers and stuff will have to be replaced.
    I can understand DSL is very outdated and people will keep those until the last customer using that or the hardware itself dies, same for cable, but for new deployments of fiber or 5G there is no way it wouldn't support IPv6, everything else is a bit of configuring and paperwork to get a free allocation.

Thanked by 1xms
  • @Francisco said:

@TimboJones said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Francisco

Moving to IPv6 primarily and getting rid of IPv4 are two different things. There's no expectation of getting rid of IPV4 entirely for IPv6 to be used, there's just device obsolescence over time.

There's still Sun and Sparc systems in use, but nothing new is made and once that shit is dead, it's dead.

Anyone deploying IPv4 only networks in 2022 going forward are incompetent and doesn't have a future.

Thanked by 2Pixels rm_
  • @Maounique said:

@cadddr said: Countries with large allocations of ipv4 have no incentive to move to ipv6, it only increases their costs.

Nobody asks them to move yet, just add IPv6. I am just happy I don't have to worry about NAT anymore.
    As for the costs, I don't think there is still gear which does not support IPv6 (new) at this time, sooner or later, 10 yo routers and stuff will have to be replaced.
    I can understand DSL is very outdated and people will keep those until the last customer using that or the hardware itself dies, same for cable, but for new deployments of fiber or 5G there is no way it wouldn't support IPv6, everything else is a bit of configuring and paperwork to get a free allocation.

Modems are just bridges and don't care about IP. The issue is the built in router, which still seems to suck instead of having a well made router OS after this time (bitching because replacement business modem/router missing NAT hairpinning).

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited June 2022

@Francisco said:

@TimboJones said:

@Francisco said:

@MrRadic said:

Francisco

The internet as a whole?

I mean, you have countries, like Canada, that have more IPV4 than they do citizen's; The UK's the same or close to it. There's many big markets that are in no rush to push things.

Francisco

And you don't see how both Shaw and Telus give less IPV4 these days? Telus used to offer 5 IPV4 on the higher residential DSL plans and Shaw 3+. Now they're both one by default and you need to request bridge mode with secondary IP. It's very noticeable vs years ago defaulting to NAT router mode vs bridge mode.

Also, over time, the IP subnet waste adds up, so having more IP's than users (which is a minimum in a properly designed network for decades) is less and less.

We also have the small players who buy wholesale from Shaw and Telus but need to provide their own network.

At minimum, a country really needs 5-7 TIMES the number of users for competition and future capacity planning.

• PixelsPixels Member

@Maounique said:
    One of my IPv6 only Tor exits (with OVH), far cry from IPv4 ones (still with OVH but from random ppl) going at 20-30 times the rate:

I thought IPv6-only relays were not allowed. Last time I looked into it having IPv4 was a requirement.

• PixelsPixels Member

@TimboJones said:

@Francisco said:

@TimboJones said:

@Francisco said:

@MrRadic said:

Francisco

The internet as a whole?

Francisco

And you don't see how both Shaw and Telus give less IPV4 these days? Telus used to offer 5 IPV4 on the higher residential DSL plans and Shaw 3+. Now they're both one by default and you need to request bridge mode with secondary IP. It's very noticeable vs years ago defaulting to NAT router mode vs bridge mode.

Also, over time, the IP subnet waste adds up, so having more IP's than users (which is a minimum in a properly designed network for decades) is less and less.

We also have the small players who buy wholesale from Shaw and Telus but need to provide their own network.

At minimum, a country really needs 5-7 TIMES the number of users for competition and future capacity planning.

Ssshhh, NAT exists for a reason, nobody needs public IP addresses!

/s

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2022

@kevinds said:

@doghouch said:

Why? What has your ISP provided you? Are you using your own gateway? Or just what your provider offered.

I suspect that very few ISP provided gateways will work with a tunnelbroker, they will need to be bypassed.

I'm very curious about the causes it to crash part... lol Crash your ISP's CPE by sending protocol 41 traffic to the IPv4 addresses?

I hope this blob of text answers some of your questions:

• I’m with a Canadian provider called Bell.
    • I use a router/fibre media converter combo (Home Hub 4000).

• It uses XGSPON and the SFP+ module is not removable (it was removable in the 3000 series of the Home Hub).
      • Bypassing the modem is not possible at this time. The SFP+ modules are whitelisted and plugging the fibre into your own SFP+ module will result in no connection. With the aforementioned 3000 series modem, I was able to remove the entire SFP+ module and could plug that into my own switch.
    • IPv6 has been broken for a long time. Given that they just copy and paste the same software/UI between generations (the Home Hub 2000/3000/4000 all have nearly identical interfaces and quirks), tunnelbrokers did not — and still don’t work.

• I don’t use a tunnel broker — I have a VPS in Toronto (<3ms latency) that acts as a gateway for V6 traffic.
    • Even if you’re using another router/computer/whatever you choose to connect to a tunnelbroker, the protocol 41 traffic will instantly crash and hard reboot the “modem.”

• I’m serious here: it commits suicide the MOMENT any tunnelbroker is used lol
    • I can allocate ~10 IPv4s at any one given time (I think the limit set on PPPoE sessions is 14?) — I just run a DDNS CRON job to give me access to my home lab externally.

• szarkaszarka Member

@TimboJones said:

Well, I happened to be looking at the stats on my authoritative DNS servers last night and only about 25% of queries are coming in over IPv6. Granted, recursive name servers are not the same as end-users, but it certainly suggests that we have a long way to go.

I have two "business class" fast broadband connections to my apartment. Both companies are a mixture of great and clueless when it comes to supporting IPv6: AT&T basically works fine, but no frontline tech has any clue what it is; Midco works fine, except when it doesn't, and then odds are about 50-50 that the tech person even knows they support IPv6. Pity the poor residential customers, who surely have it even worse.

@TimboJones said:

Majority of users were not using multiple IPs either, the DHCP pools would have been exhausted if all the users that were allowed 5 IPs decided to take them.. By restricting the number of IPs one is allowed to have, they can force more higher-end customers to business accounts..

Telus for a while (I don't know if they still do or not) was putting all of the lower tiered customers on CG-NAT, then would give them back a public IP if they called in and asked/complained..

@doghouch said:

• Even if you’re using another router/computer/whatever you choose to connect to a tunnelbroker, the protocol 41 traffic will instantly crash and hard reboot the “modem.”

So what happens if someone sends protocol 41 traffic to large groups of Bell's IPs? Will large groups of people's modems reboot?

• @kevinds said:

@doghouch said:

So what happens if someone sends protocol 41 traffic to large groups of Bell's IPs? Will large groups of people's modems reboot?

Nothing. It only seems to do something if you’re going from your network —> a tunnelbroker.

On top of that, the Home Hub is configured by default to not respond to ICMP or any other traffic. You can, however, use a tunnelbroker over another router on it’s own PPPoE connection (which effectively “bypasses” the Home Hub’s issues).

• defaultdefault Veteran

If price of IPv4 keeps going up, solution is obviously IPv6. Google already reports how many requests come from IPv6. If IPv4 keeps getting rare and expensive due to humanity's greed, it makes sense to embrace IPv6 and the evolution of technology.

Thanked by 1xms