Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google is ending my G Suite legacy free edition. What are some good email hosting alternatives?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google is ending my G Suite legacy free edition. What are some good email hosting alternatives?

edited January 2022 in General

It was a good run. I hosted my custom email domains with them since they first started that Gmail service for free way back when. Being grandfathered in to free G Suite was the only reason I still used that service. Now they are forcing me to switch to a paid subscription by July 1. I don't need any features besides email so I may need to move on.

I am looking for good alternatives that can host my email domains with similar storage (15GB). I may even go back to hosting it myself like the good old days. However, I got used to having that all taken care of by Gmail so I think I would prefer to continue using an established cloud service for this. It also avoids potential problems with email servers rejecting my emails when I use an established cloud service.

Comments

• +1 for Yandex, using it a few years so far for personal email (multiple custom domains).

Works very good no issues with deliveries or spam mail.

• Mxroute

@jar

Thanked by 1jar
  • Not in Russia, it's unsafe!

Thanked by 2Kebab greentea
  • edited January 2022

No obvious alternatives in that other thread. The iCloud+ option would have been good if they offered IMAP/SMTP. That is absolutely essential for me.

Russian servers are not an option for me.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2022

@Flash said:

Not in Russia, it's unsafe!

Why? My personal email is hosted there, so I'd like to hear all possible feedback.

Thanked by 2kkrajk greentea
  • Mxroute or Family Office 365 - those were my two considerations

Thanked by 1jar
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Travel back to 2006 and sign up for Windows Live Admin Center.
    The product is long gone but all the email accounts can still be used although new ones cannot be created.

Thanked by 3Shot2 the_doctor netomx
  • edited January 2022

@kendid said:
    Mxroute or Family Office 365 - those were my two considerations

Family Office 365 is about the same price as Google. Also, I have 2 domains and don't want to have to pay double just for that. I think a service that supports multiple domains per account is what I need. Mxroute medium plan could probably work.

• @LosPollosHermanos said:

Family Office 365 is about the same price as Google. Also, I have 2 domains and don't want to have to pay double just for that. I think a service that supports multiple domains per account is what I need. Mxroute medium plan could probably work.

Depends how many mail accounts in each domain I guess. For our family we have 5 email accounts. With Google it would be almost $400, with office family 365 $99.99 plus we get office.

That being said, Mxroute is probably where I'll end up

Thanked by 2kkrajk netomx
  • go to yandex

• edited January 2022

@kendid said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

Depends how many mail accounts in each domain I guess. For our family we have 5 email accounts. With Google it would be almost $400, with office family 365 $99.99 plus we get office.

That being said, Mxroute is probably where I'll end up

I don't need the office license. Even if I could do 2 domains for $99 it is still too much for what I would use it for, so 365 is not an option.

• vbavba Member

rent web hosting then you can add multiple domains. i use cpanel and host my email account there

• edited January 2022

@vba said:
    rent web hosting then you can add multiple domains. i use cpanel and host my email account there

I could easily host it on my own webservers but I don't want to.

@vba said:

I could easily host it on my own webservers but I would sooner stick needles in my eyes.

If you plan to go the Russian route, go with Yandex they're a responsible company (that doesn't mean they'll not share your mails with the government as soon as they ask).

• edited January 2022

@DanSummer said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@vba said:

I could easily host it on my own webservers but I would sooner stick needles in my eyes.

If you plan to go the Russian route, go with Yandex they're a responsible company (that doesn't mean they'll not share your mails with the government as soon as they ask).

Or there is a war and their internet connections are disrupted. No thanks.

• Zoho Mail is the cheapest alternative.

@DanSummer said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@vba said:

This is a waste of time.

You clearly had a solution in mind before starting this thread.

Good luck with your search.

• @DanSummer said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@DanSummer said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@vba said:

This is a waste of time.

Yeah, just +1 then..

• @yoursunny said:
    Travel back to 2006 and sign up for Windows Live Admin Center.
    The product is long gone but all the email accounts can still be used although new ones cannot be created.

This.
    It was great while it lasted...

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited January 2022

MXRoute is a good option. Maybe @jar can come up with some offers, in light of Google kicking consumers. This is a market just waiting to be absorbed.

Thanked by 2sanmax88 netomx
  • @DanSummer said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@DanSummer said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@vba said:

This is a waste of time.

Saying Russia isn't an option for several valid reasons is no where near "This is a waste of time". If anything, it shows you have hidden agenda, not OP. Don't act like you suggested a perfect solution and then pissy when he didn't like it.

Thanked by 3VayVayKa ralf foxtare
    It was a good run. I hosted my custom email domains with them since they first started that Gmail service for free way back when. Being grandfathered in to free G Suite was the only reason I still used that service. Now they are forcing me to switch to a paid subscription by July 1. I don't need any features besides email so I may need to move on.

I am looking for good alternatives that can host my email domains with similar storage (15GB). I may even go back to hosting it myself like the good old days. However, I got used to having that all taken care of by Gmail so I think I would prefer to continue using an established cloud service for this. It also avoids potential problems with email servers rejecting my emails when I use an established cloud service.

https://mail.zoho.com, it provides 5 GB of storage for free and I've never had any issues with email delivery, etc. Their paid plans are quite decent as well.

Thanked by 1DediRock
  • MXroute.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Nullroute

• Good old selfhosted email with mailcow
    mailcow.email

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • There is the more expensive Protonmail and Tutanota if you are into stricter privacy and security.

• @LosPollosHermanos iCloud does support IMAP/SMTP

Thanked by 1sanmax88
  • @Flash said: Not in Russia, it's unsafe!

Period.

This discussion has been closed.