Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google is ending my G Suite legacy free edition. What are some good email hosting alternatives? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google is ending my G Suite legacy free edition. What are some good email hosting alternatives?

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@jar cmon man, they need you

Thanked by 2jar fan
  • zedzed Member

google gave me a reason to finally use my 2 or 3 year old mxroute account, thanks google \o/

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@zed said:
    google gave me a reason to finally use my 2 or 3 year old mxroute account, thanks google \o/

Same here. :D And it's doing pretty well so far.

• kendidkendid Veteran

@brueggus said:

@zed said:

Lol, same!

• zedzed Member

@kendid said:

@brueggus said:

@zed said:

Lol, same!

i did have a few minor issues cuz google allowed me to get away with some lazy behaviors that mxroute forced me to correct, net positive for all involved though!

• killer23dkiller23d Member
    edited May 2022

My exit strategy is to get free email forwarding by renewing with Google Domains to forward to a new gmail account. It will then allow me to send email from that alias. It's cheaper anyways when I set the currency to TRY.
    https://support.google.com/domains/answer/9437157

I also have setup Sendgrid in case this fails and my mails end up in junk on the other end.

• ralfralf Member
    edited May 2022

It's not especially ideal, but I just set up exim and dovecot on my machine, and use POP3 on gmail to fetch my mail from that. I mostly only did it this way as I have years of other mail on gmail and I kind of like the interface now. Setting up DKIM is kind of a PITA, but I've not had any mail rejected yet as far as I know.

The only downside is that it only checks POP3 periodically, and they made the way to force sync kind of annoying since they disabled labs and stopped you being able to just have a button.

• the_doctorthe_doctor Member
    edited May 2022

@killer23d said:
    My exit strategy is to get free email forwarding by renewing with Google Domains to forward to a new gmail account. It will then allow me to send email from that alias. It's cheaper anyways when I set the currency to TRY.

I also have setup Sendgrid in case this fails and my mails end up in junk on the other end.

Did you notice that Cloudflare offers this for free as well? They also sell domains at cost.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/migrating-to-cloudflare-email-routing/

• fanfan Veteran

I anticipate a massive gsuite refugee deal is being made over at MXroute, if not, please do. B)

• I went with Migadu since their $19/yr plan is good enough for what I was doing with GSuite.

• @fan said:
    I anticipate a massive gsuite refugee deal is being made over at MXroute, if not, please do. B)

They already said they don't need the extra business, can barely keep up with the current demand.

• nick_nick_ Member

I've been using Purelymail since last year. Only $10/year, and no issues so far. I can recommend them.

https://purelymail.com

• i've no doubt with the highly praised mxroute can do with email sending even tho i haven't use it,
    but for now i just use my webhosting provider's feature for sending emails, it use mailbaby/mailchannels btw, no complaint for delivery until now, as a bonus it also has spamfilter for inbound..

otherwise, i'll use mxroute, wether directly or from their reseller..

• sanvitsanvit Member

Some might not like how they advertise, but MyW is also great when it comes to emails.

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/178316/we-need-your-help-shared-reseller-da-mailchannels-cl-litespeed-de-usa-sg-lifetimes/p1

They relay all emails via MailBaby (which should fall back to Mailchannels if there's any issue), and considering it being lifetime, I think it's a pretty good price as well.

The only downside I can think of is spam filtering (iirc @jar actively checks incoming emails and make custom filters when he sees any spam), and the email sending limit (iirc sth like 300/day/email acc while MXroute is 300/hr/email acc)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @the_doctor said:

@killer23d said:

Did you notice that Cloudflare offers this for free as well? They also sell domains at cost.

Yes, but CF doesn't offer send from alias.

• the_doctorthe_doctor Member
    edited May 2022

@killer23d said:

@the_doctor said:

@killer23d said:

Well you need to use a Gmail with it. It allows a catch-all to an address at Gmail. (or whatever mail service you like) :)

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Anyone tried Lark Suite? I am curious if they support catch-all email address.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@killer23d said: Sendgrid

Please don't. Sendgrid is nothing but junk. Their IPs are in multiple blacklists, and a lot of mails were marked as spam on my testing. Contacted their support regarding the blacklists, and their reply was to get a dedicated IP.

If you don't send much, you can try Postmark's free account (100/m). SES was also reasonable both in terms of pricing and IP reputation ($0.1/1K).

• ndbiawndbiaw Member

forwardemail.net
    they provide email forwarding to your email, you can forward to gmail. They also support sending mail from alias, all for free

• dragon1993dragon1993 Member
    edited May 2022

@Radi said:
    Anyone tried Lark Suite? I am curious if they support catch-all email address.

I tried, it's a gmail copy, but I didn't find catch-all option.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@sanvit said:

If you don't send much, you can try Postmark's free account (100/m). SES was also reasonable both in terms of pricing and IP reputation ($0.1/1K).

Postmark and SES are for transactional email, so at least officially, they do not support this use case.

Postmark, while having excellent deliverability, is trigger heavy regarding account suspension. This along with the fact that they have recently been recently acquired by another company would make me think twice before considering them.

But they are both still better than Sendgrid, of course.

@killer23d said:

@ndbiaw said:
    They also support sending mail from alias, all for free

That is not something that the forwarding service needs to support, it is something which Gmail allows, but comes with bad deliverability and other shortcomings as the emails will not be properly authenticated.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@Nyr said:

@sanvit said:

Postmark and SES are for transactional email, so at least officially, they do not support this use case.

Postmark, while having excellent deliverability, is trigger heavy regarding account suspension. This along with the fact that they have recently been recently acquired by another company would make me think twice before considering them.

I can't say for SES, but for Postmark, it's actually OK to use it as a personal email relay. I personally got in touch with their support team regarding this usage, and they told me it's allowed.

I am worried about the acquisition, however I'm pretty confident their deliverability would be good enough for the foreseeable future.

@sanvit said:

@Nyr said:

@sanvit said:

I can't say for SES, but for Postmark, it's actually OK to use it as a personal email relay. I personally got in touch with their support team regarding this usage, and they told me it's allowed.

I am worried about the acquisition, however I'm pretty confident their deliverability would be good enough for the foreseeable future.

Oh, interesting info, then Postmark is a good option given their excellent deliverability, likely better than SES.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@Nyr said: it is something which Gmail allows

Doesn't GMail require SMTP server to use send-as feature?

@sanvit said:

Yes, but people does input the Gmail SMTP server there, which apparently allows to send using arbitrarily domains (with no DKIM and usually the user does not configure SPF either).

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@Nyr said:

@sanvit said:

@Nyr said:

@sanvit said:

Oh, interesting info, then Postmark is a good option given their excellent deliverability, likely better than SES.

I'd say a magnitude better (although 10x the price). Every time I have problems with SES (emails being delayed), just changing the relay to Postmarks fixes everything

• _cece_cece Member

Maybe racknerds shared hosting is of interest? Haven’t used it for mail up to now but why not…

• sanvitsanvit Member

@Nyr said:

@sanvit said:

Yes, but people does input the Gmail SMTP server there, which apparently allows to send using arbitrarily domains (with no DKIM and usually the user does not configure SPF either).

Huh, didn't know that worked. TIL :)

• sanvitsanvit Member

Anyway, can't believe nobody mentioned Lunanode.

https://www.lunanode.com/features/email

Their deliverability is OKish I guess (never had any problems, but they only have one outgoing address), but their pricing is PAYG and pretty reasonable ($0.2/GB storage and $0.1/1K mail sent). They also sync the Maildir on two different locations (Canada and France), so you've got redundancy as well

This discussion has been closed.