Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google is ending my G Suite legacy free edition. What are some good email hosting alternatives? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google is ending my G Suite legacy free edition. What are some good email hosting alternatives?

Comments

• Thanked by 1PandaRain
  • edited February 2022

@DanSummer said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@DanSummer said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@vba said:
    rent web hosting then you can add multiple domains. i use cpanel and host my email account there

I could easily host it on my own webservers but I would sooner stick needles in my eyes.

If you plan to go the Russian route, go with Yandex they're a responsible company (that doesn't mean they'll not share your mails with the government as soon as they ask).

Or there is a war and their internet connections are disrupted. No thanks.

This is a waste of time.

You clearly had a solution in mind before starting this thread.

Good luck with your search.

Why are you pushing that solution and seem upset when anyone says anything bad about Russia?

• edited February 2022

@Astro said:
    @LosPollosHermanos iCloud does support IMAP/SMTP

As far as I can tell you can only connect with Apple applications/devices or via the website. I could not find any mention of IMAP/SMTP connectivity anywhere. I spent quite a bit of time looking.

• @LosPollosHermanos said:

@Astro said:

As far as I can tell you can only connect with Apple applications/devices or via the website. I could not find any mention of IMAP/SMTP connectivity anywhere. I spent quite a bit of time looking.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304

First hit on google

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • edited February 2022

@Shot2 said:

@yoursunny said:
    Travel back to 2006 and sign up for Windows Live Admin Center.
    The product is long gone but all the email accounts can still be used although new ones cannot be created.

This.
    It was great while it lasted...

@Walken said:
    Zoho Mail is the cheapest alternative.

For only one or two email addresses yes. However, I have several, so it's more expensive than other solutions for me. I presume their per-user pricing means per email address yes?

• edited February 2022

@Astro said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@Astro said:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304

First hit on google

I believe that is only for their generic @icloud.com domain. There is no mention of IMAP/SMTP in their custom domain setup instructions.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/guide/icloud/mm0e4339d289/icloud

It also seems to only support one custom domain and is targeted more for home users.

• @Techout said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    It was a good run. I hosted my custom email domains with them since they first started that Gmail service for free way back when. Being grandfathered in to free G Suite was the only reason I still used that service. Now they are forcing me to switch to a paid subscription by July 1. I don't need any features besides email so I may need to move on.

I am looking for good alternatives that can host my email domains with similar storage (15GB). I may even go back to hosting it myself like the good old days. However, I got used to having that all taken care of by Gmail so I think I would prefer to continue using an established cloud service for this. It also avoids potential problems with email servers rejecting my emails when I use an established cloud service.

https://mail.zoho.com, it provides 5 GB of storage for free and I've never had any issues with email delivery, etc. Their paid plans are quite decent as well.

Free doesn't support SMTP/IMAP. So that's definitely not an option for me. I believe paid is per email address. Since I have several that ends up being more expensive than other solutions for me.

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited February 2022

I can't believe people are suggesting yandex... If the fact that it's Russian based isn't a reason NOT to go this way, then you deserve what you get.
    Look for a FOSS solution and host it yourself.

Thanked by 2TimboJones VayVayKa

@Techout said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    It was a good run. I hosted my custom email domains with them since they first started that Gmail service for free way back when. Being grandfathered in to free G Suite was the only reason I still used that service. Now they are forcing me to switch to a paid subscription by July 1. I don't need any features besides email so I may need to move on.

I am looking for good alternatives that can host my email domains with similar storage (15GB). I may even go back to hosting it myself like the good old days. However, I got used to having that all taken care of by Gmail so I think I would prefer to continue using an established cloud service for this. It also avoids potential problems with email servers rejecting my emails when I use an established cloud service.

https://mail.zoho.com, it provides 5 GB of storage for free and I've never had any issues with email delivery, etc. Their paid plans are quite decent as well.

Free doesn't support SMTP/IMAP. So that's definitely not an option for me. I believe paid is per email address. Since I have several that ends up being more expensive than other solutions for me.

Ah I see, you could use aliases if all the emails are only used by you & have a pro plan on just that.

• @Techout said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@Techout said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

Ah I see, you could use aliases if all the emails are only used by you & have a pro plan on just that.

Aliases might work for me. I signed up for the free trial to test it out. So far I am really liking their UI and features.

• @Arkas said: Look for a FOSS solution and host it yourself.

If you're a masochist. Sure.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@debaser said: If you're a masochist. Sure.

Is that what people call others with basic linux knowldge these day?

• @Arkas said:

Managing a mail server should not be an issue. However, it does take time and time is money. Getting your mails reliably delivered is hard these days. And, nah, I don't believe in using a transactional mail service for my personal mails. That's a workaround, not a solution.

Just pay @jar some money and outsource it. Or just pay Google some money.

Thanked by 1VayVayKa
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@debaser said: Just pay @jar some money and outsource it. Or just pay Google some money.

I use MXRoute, so it's not a problem for me, as well as MailChannels.

@Techout said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@Techout said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

Aliases might work for me. I signed up for the free trial to test it out. So far I am really liking their UI and features.

Yeah, it's quite great and they offer some neat features.

• edited February 2022

I found another one not often mentioned.
    https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/email/?trial-plans

They don't mention domains anywhere so I have a feeling they need to be your provider for those domains.

• As i'm more privacy enthusiast, i've made the choice to move on SimpleLogin or Anonaddy. Both providers are well reputed and provide "aliases" services with nice features, really helpful to host multiple domains mail without bothering with mailboxes.
    I only have small teams i don't need more than that and my team can still use their own workflows on the side.

If you are really into mailboxes, check Infomaniak Mail which is cheap af and state to be privacy oriented. MXRoute could be a nice friend as well.

• @Arkas said:
    I can't believe people are suggesting yandex... If the fact that it's Russian based isn't a reason NOT to go this way, then you deserve what you get.
    Look for a FOSS solution and host it yourself.

Google is Murican, y'know...

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited February 2022

@Shot2 said: Google is Murican, y'know...

So I the rest of the 'free World'. You get what you pay for. You want it free, YOU are the product.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Better than Rushin :wink:

• There's also Lark https://www.larksuite.com/ which does email and comes as a collaboration suite

From Bytedance so take from that what you will

• Can anyone ELI5 ? What's the difference between g suite free legacy and their regular gmail.com service? Sorry I have been out of touch with some of google service

• edited February 2022

@Liso said:
    Can anyone ELI5 ? What's the difference between g suite free legacy and their regular gmail.com service? Sorry I have been out of touch with some of google service

You can use your own domain with g suite, now called workspace, so [email protected]. It also had an admin console where you could manage multiple email addresses for that domain. Other than that, you can access and configure it exactly the same as you do a free [email protected] account.

• DediRockDediRock Member, Patron Provider

Zoho has historically been pretty good

@Techout said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

• @feeed said:
    There's also Lark https://www.larksuite.com/ which does email and comes as a collaboration suite

From Bytedance so take from that what you will

Note that Lark's CalDav is one way sync only so better use with a standalone CalDav service like Nextcloud.

• @Arkas said:

It doesn't have anything to do with that. Setting up an email server on linux is easy. That's not the problem. Maybe someday you will gain enough experience to understand.

• edited February 2022

@AtlasCloud said:
    Zoho has historically been pretty good

@Techout said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

The only bad thing I am reading about Zoho is the SPAM filtering is not very good. I won't know how much of a problem that will be until I actually switch. I get very little SPAM in my GSuite SPAM folders so I think it will be ok.

So far I am liking the features and UI of Zoho. It's pretty much designed to be a drop in replacement for G Suite/Gmail.

• @Arkas said:

It's a fucking hassle, don't act like it's "set and forget". Otherwise, you look like you don't use email in practice.

• LeifurGunnarssonLeifurGunnarsson Member, Host Rep

Try using something like Zoho, been with them for a bit now.

• @LeifurGunnarsson said:
    Try using something like Zoho, been with them for a bit now.

I've been using Zoho for a couple months now. They are not bad. I was worried about SPAM filtering but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Maybe a few more get through but not much. I probably didn't get much to begin with.

This discussion has been closed.