Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google is ending my G Suite legacy free edition. What are some good email hosting alternatives? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google is ending my G Suite legacy free edition. What are some good email hosting alternatives?

124»

Comments

• sanvitsanvit Member

@_cece said:
    Maybe racknerds shared hosting is of interest? Haven’t used it for mail up to now but why not…

Unless they have some kind of email relay in front, I wouldn't recommend sending emails using shared hosting as an email service. They most likely end up on blacklists, as they are likely to send random emails (knowingly or unknowingly) due to unsecured PHP scripts, etc.

Thanked by 2_cece ElonBezos
  • ralfralf Member

Can echo that. My LA racknerd instance is on colocrossing, and it appears on lots of blacklists. I raised a ticket asking if they could apply for my IP to be delisted from the blacklist (the list requires to IP owner to apply) or for my IP to be changed, the support person pissed around for weeks with lame excuses like "oh, the lists take time to update, blah blah" before eventually admitting that there was nothing they could do because their upstream wasn't going to do anything about it. They did offer to move my VM to another datacentre that I already had another node in, but there didn't seem any point, so I've just been using that VM for other things for now.

• @ralf said:
    Can echo that. My LA racknerd instance is on colocrossing, and it appears on lots of blacklists. I raised a ticket asking if they could apply for my IP to be delisted from the blacklist (the list requires to IP owner to apply) or for my IP to be changed, the support person pissed around for weeks with lame excuses like "oh, the lists take time to update, blah blah" before eventually admitting that there was nothing they could do because their upstream wasn't going to do anything about it. They did offer to move my VM to another datacentre that I already had another node in, but there didn't seem any point, so I've just been using that VM for other things for now.

Never put an email server on anything at colocrossing.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2022

@sanvit said:
    Some might not like how they advertise, but MyW is also great when it comes to emails.

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/178316/we-need-your-help-shared-reseller-da-mailchannels-cl-litespeed-de-usa-sg-lifetimes/p1

They relay all emails via MailBaby (which should fall back to Mailchannels if there's any issue), and considering it being lifetime, I think it's a pretty good price as well.

The only downside I can think of is spam filtering (iirc @jar actively checks incoming emails and make custom filters when he sees any spam), and the email sending limit (iirc sth like 300/day/email acc while MXroute is 300/hr/email acc)

We're considering to increase the outbound limit, thank you for the kind words mate :)

There's also a very strong possibility we'll launch a 5€/mo email service that'll include a full suite, etc. Also fully clustered.

• killer23dkiller23d Member
    edited May 2022

@sanvit said:

@Nyr said: it is something which Gmail allows

Doesn't GMail require SMTP server to use send-as feature?

They offer send as alias with the use of app password, it doesn't have DKIM or SPF as far as I know, only for Workspace users, so I am not sure deliverability. Anyone know?

Postmark doesn't seem to have a free tier anymore.

• DazzleDazzle Member

@MikePT said:

There's also a very strong possibility we'll launch a 5€/mo email service that'll include a full suite, etc. Also fully clustered.

A MXRoute alternative? Great!

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@killer23d said:

@sanvit said:

@Nyr said: it is something which Gmail allows

Doesn't GMail require SMTP server to use send-as feature?

They offer send as alias with the use of app password, it doesn't have DKIM or SPF as far as I know, only for Workspace users, so I am not sure deliverability. Anyone know?

Postmark doesn't seem to have a free tier anymore.

I think you can just add include:_spf.google.com on your existing SPF record.

For Postmark, iirc you can just sign up for the free trial, and you'll automatically get into the free 100/m plan. Never tried, as I'm in the grandfathered PAYG plan, but should work I guess.

You could also sign up for Mailbaby, but I'd rather go with SES in that case, just because there's no monthly fee.

• zedzed Member

if you're ok using gmail, didn't they offer you a deal? they offered me $3/mo/user or something iirc (for a year, then $6/ after). i passed cuz been moving away from google for years already, and this was a good reminder to move my domains emails off too.

• @zed said:
    if you're ok using gmail, didn't they offer you a deal? they offered me $3/mo/user or something iirc (for a year, then $6/ after). i passed cuz been moving away from google for years already, and this was a good reminder to move my domains emails off too.

They offered everyone the discount.

One of my friends said he connected to a VPN in India and the prices changed to local Indian pricing which was even cheaper, think he said it was $1 with discount and $3 with the normal Indian pricing. Not sure if that could be a way forward, I also want to free myself of Google/Spyware.

• jcarlo9jcarlo9 Barred

@ralf said:

Are you sure it's LA? or San Jose ? I have LA vps from Racknerd and it's on MultaCom not Colocrossing.

• @MikePT said: There's also a very strong possibility we'll launch a 5€/mo email service that'll include a full suite, etc. Also fully clustered.

long live @MikePT 👊🏻👊🏻

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @sanvit said:

@_cece said:
    Maybe racknerds shared hosting is of interest? Haven’t used it for mail up to now but why not…

Unless they have some kind of email relay in front, I wouldn't recommend sending emails using shared hosting as an email service. They most likely end up on blacklists, as they are likely to send random emails (knowingly or unknowingly) due to unsecured PHP scripts, etc.

if we're talking bout Racknerd shared hosting, don't they use mailchannels as outbond?

Thanked by 1SirNeo
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@biangkerok said:

@sanvit said:

@_cece said:

if we're talking bout Racknerd shared hosting, don't they use mailchannels as outbond?

Huh, I was talking about web hosting in general, but never knew RN provided MailChannels, especially for that price.

RackNerd’s shared hosting platform is now leveraging MailChannels to improve email delivery rates to specific email services if and as needed.

They did mention specific, so I guess major mail provider should be routed via MC, which IMO is reasonable considering their pricing.

• killer23dkiller23d Member
    edited May 2022

@the_doctor said:

@zed said:

They offered everyone the discount.

One of my friends said he connected to a VPN in India and the prices changed to local Indian pricing which was even cheaper, think he said it was $1 with discount and $3 with the normal Indian pricing. Not sure if that could be a way forward, I also want to free myself of Google/Spyware.

I tried to get India pricing just like how I did with YouTube, but it just won't take the payment.

I will consider @MikePT offering when my hosting is done with Hostmantis, but it won't happen for another 2 years. lol.

In the mean time, getting my domain email moved is the first. As per you guys' recommendation, I just setup an account with Postmark and waiting for approval.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • edited April 2023

Old thread but I have been on Zoho Mail for over a year now and it's been working well for me. Only thing is that their IP's get blacklisted once in awhile. They always get removed within hours, so they stay on top of that. That can happen to anyone besides super massive providers like MS/Gmail who probably get special treatment from the blacklist maintainers.

• kendidkendid Veteran

I moved some to mxroute , also no problems ! I was thinking about going back to my free gapps but this is working fine

• @kendid said:
    I moved some to mxroute , also no problems ! I was thinking about going back to my free gapps but this is working fine

What free gapps? The whole reason for this thread is because it's not free anymore so not sure what you are talking about.

• kendidkendid Veteran
    edited April 2023

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@kendid said:

What free gapps? The whole reason for this thread is because it's not free anymore so not sure what you are talking about.

For personal domains, it's still free (not for a business)

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited April 2023

@LosPollosHermanos said: The whole reason for this thread is because it's not free anymore so not sure what you are talking about.

They weren't discontinued as google announced at first. They changed their mind back then and allowed up 10 account licenses for free for personal usage.

For individuals and families that used your account for non-commercial purposes, you can identify as a personal user and revert to a no-cost subscription by clicking the button below* (requires a super administrator account). You can continue using your custom domain(s) with Gmail, retain access to no-cost Google services such as Google Drive and Google Meet, and keep your purchases and data.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/2855120?hl=en

• Fuck you for necro'ing (not really, but still) old topic and making me think I need to move my shit again as they changed their mind again.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

Necro...

This discussion has been closed.