Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2019 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ KVM ★ Check inside for offers! - Page 123
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2019 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ KVM ★ Check inside for offers!

Comments

• MasonR said: Right, and I get that. I don't trust me either. I'm more commenting on the fact that the user-base that has the biggest issue with the ID requirement are the same users that have their government cataloging them, tracking them though cameras/other biometrics, and has a social credit system scoring them on those public and private actions.

It seems to not be uncommon for the majority of citizens to trust their own government, no matter what type of government they have.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited December 2019

@FrankZ said:

MasonR said: Right, and I get that. I don't trust me either. I'm more commenting on the fact that the user-base that has the biggest issue with the ID requirement are the same users that have their government cataloging them, tracking them though cameras/other biometrics, and has a social credit system scoring them on those public and private actions.

It seems to not be uncommon for the majority of citizens to trust their own government, no matter what type of government they have.

Very true. I'm sure the threat of being shipped off to the gulag plays into it as well.

• @TimboJones said:
    .> @MasonR said:

@webdev said:

MasonR said: As an ignorant Westerner, it's interesting seeing the Chinese community's uproar over the picture ID requirement for transfers "for privacy reasons". Like mate... you live in China, what privacy are you talking about?

Those VPS provider could be another Chinese or even China Gov, "for privacy reasons" means they don't trust you...

Right, and I get that. I don't trust me either. I'm more commenting on the fact that the user-base that has the biggest issue with the ID requirement are the same users that have their government cataloging them, tracking them though cameras/other biometrics, and has a social credit system scoring them on those public and private actions.

Not saying you should roll over and accept it, just pointing out the irony.

I'm guessing that Chinese citizens don't get HBO and Vice to see their recent reporting on Chinese surveillance. That's mostly why it's fall out of chair funny to me. Not sure if they are just so unaware, or the capitalist propaganda.

I'm all for a Chinese Revolution. We don't need 1/7th of the planet convinced human rights are bad.

It is presumptuous for people who are as ignorant as you are not to take up the work of a herdsman.

From Explanations of the Ninety-Five Theses, pg. 183 of Luther's Works, Vol. 31

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@alilet said:

@VirMach said:
    For your enjoyment, our very well thought out essay response:

I only opened this image to see if there is any hidden egg.

The easter egg was the IP address but @FAT32 removed it. Wait I'm kidding it's not actually a coupon code don't go looking for it. I have at least several hundred angry people who would want it right now.

VirMach said: They don't realize that some of these resellers are breaching our ToS when purchasing these, and if they transfer the account improperly there's no protection from that. Yes, I could just look the other way and process the e-mail requests and make those people happy.

This is already happening, a lot. Some of these people that did the mass account registers are really dumb. It's so obvious. Please don't trust them. I only said this as a possible bad hypothetical but this is definitely the majority. You have a high likelihood of ending up linked to a bunch of other accounts. I just saw one guy, he's stuck in a really bad situation. Now his main account is flagged by our system (automatically) and the other new account he's now linked to is linked to 12 other accounts that are not in good standing. We definitely can't do an e-mail change there. We have to verify all those 12 accounts and see what's going on before we can just put everyone at risk. We can't be doing that for every e-mail request, it will get rejected.

This also kind of ruins the transfer process too. We can't do that much extra work to clean it up on our systems for just $3. If you request a transfer and you're linked to 12 other accounts, consider that at least +$2 per account we have to look at and clear. Then we have to write a bypass for our detection systems or clear logs (we can't just selectively clear logs like that, it will take forever manually.) Consider that another $20-40. Congratulations, you played yourself.

It's everywhere, they did such a bad job. I thought they would at least somewhat try to breach our Terms of Service without getting caught but they were extremely careless.

Please, if you are trying to get a deal, go through the actual transfer process so we can catch the issue and let you know what you'll be dealing with that could negatively affect you in the future. This advisory goes for anyone not involved who might just be interested in picking up a deal. If the aftermath of this gets worse, we will actually have to just lock off transfers/lock down BF-only accounts (lock down as in prevent changes, not close.)

If you are legitimately looking for a good deal, just grab an existing non-flash special. Yes it might cost like $2-3 more a year on average and you might not get some inflated specifications you may not even use. If I could think of a better way to get flash deals to the actual people that want to use them then maybe we could do that but that sounds like we'd have to code an entire new system and we do not have time for that. Maybe we could somehow sell a copy, in the same quantity, to anyone who wants to grab one so they don't have to go to a shady dealer. I'll try to think of something we can do to help everyone out.

We are fine with people using their services and trading them properly, but this is DEFCON5 right now.

We have hundreds of requests and if all of them start looking like this there's nothing we can do. At least if the people doing the bulk purchases just for resale (already shitty thing to do) did it even close to being passable as not outright fraudulent then maybe we could do something about it, but it's not looking good.

Even if we somehow got through these, it will have lasting implications.

This is the system we use to find mass abusers, if a person in a cluster abuses they might end up getting flagged as a mass abuser and have their account closed.

edited December 2019

If you bought any accounts through a third party I recommend just coming forward and telling us, then maybe we can help you if you did it up to this point (December 12th) but please stop doing it, after this final courtesy you're on your own. It's better than having to deal with all these weird requests where people are pretending to be in some forgotten password forgot e-mail forgot everything amnesia state.

Open a ticket stating "ToS Breach Exception" and I'll have the team flag it to management and go through them.

In the message include one short relevant sentence to your situation that includes your actual account(s) and e-mail(s) and how you obtained the account.

@FAT32 please pass this along if you feel up to it.

(edit) And please don't try to be smart. If you're the mass abusers and making the requests we can just easily tell and close all the accounts. We'll only try to honor this for individuals affected by purchasing one service, and only if they did it before December 12th.

• Oh boy, it's really that bad already? :disappointed:

• @vimslim said:

@TimboJones said:
    .> @MasonR said:

@webdev said:

MasonR said: As an ignorant Westerner, it's interesting seeing the Chinese community's uproar over the picture ID requirement for transfers "for privacy reasons". Like mate... you live in China, what privacy are you talking about?

Those VPS provider could be another Chinese or even China Gov, "for privacy reasons" means they don't trust you...

Right, and I get that. I don't trust me either. I'm more commenting on the fact that the user-base that has the biggest issue with the ID requirement are the same users that have their government cataloging them, tracking them though cameras/other biometrics, and has a social credit system scoring them on those public and private actions.

Not saying you should roll over and accept it, just pointing out the irony.

I'm guessing that Chinese citizens don't get HBO and Vice to see their recent reporting on Chinese surveillance. That's mostly why it's fall out of chair funny to me. Not sure if they are just so unaware, or the capitalist propaganda.

I'm all for a Chinese Revolution. We don't need 1/7th of the planet convinced human rights are bad.

It is presumptuous for people who are as ignorant as you are not to take up the work of a herdsman.

From Explanations of the Ninety-Five Theses, pg. 183 of Luther's Works, Vol. 31

Herdsmen? 2019 is the year I'm currently living in. What about you? (Expecting to get Chinese calender answer). Lost in translation.

Next time, say what exactly is ignorant, because responding with some religious shit is pretty fucking ignorant not to mention telling me what I can or cannot do. Otherwise, it just sounds like you don't believe you deserve human rights, if that's what you're disagreeing with. Who knows, not me.

Thanked by 1tetech
  • @VirMach said:

@alilet said:

@VirMach said:
    For your enjoyment, our very well thought out essay response:

I only opened this image to see if there is any hidden egg.

The easter egg was the IP address but @FAT32 removed it. Wait I'm kidding it's not actually a coupon code don't go looking for it. I have at least several hundred angry people who would want it right now.

VirMach said: They don't realize that some of these resellers are breaching our ToS when purchasing these, and if they transfer the account improperly there's no protection from that. Yes, I could just look the other way and process the e-mail requests and make those people happy.

This is already happening, a lot. Some of these people that did the mass account registers are really dumb. It's so obvious. Please don't trust them. I only said this as a possible bad hypothetical but this is definitely the majority. You have a high likelihood of ending up linked to a bunch of other accounts. I just saw one guy, he's stuck in a really bad situation. Now his main account is flagged by our system (automatically) and the other new account he's now linked to is linked to 12 other accounts that are not in good standing. We definitely can't do an e-mail change there. We have to verify all those 12 accounts and see what's going on before we can just put everyone at risk. We can't be doing that for every e-mail request, it will get rejected.

This also kind of ruins the transfer process too. We can't do that much extra work to clean it up on our systems for just $3. If you request a transfer and you're linked to 12 other accounts, consider that at least +$2 per account we have to look at and clear. Then we have to write a bypass for our detection systems or clear logs (we can't just selectively clear logs like that, it will take forever manually.) Consider that another $20-40. Congratulations, you played yourself.

It's everywhere, they did such a bad job. I thought they would at least somewhat try to breach our Terms of Service without getting caught but they were extremely careless.

Please, if you are trying to get a deal, go through the actual transfer process so we can catch the issue and let you know what you'll be dealing with that could negatively affect you in the future. This advisory goes for anyone not involved who might just be interested in picking up a deal. If the aftermath of this gets worse, we will actually have to just lock off transfers/lock down BF-only accounts (lock down as in prevent changes, not close.)

This is why we can't have nice things.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited December 2019

@VirMach - will migrations started before Black Friday continue? I received a notification about migration on 27th and I have my data backed-up ever since (in case something goes wrong). However, migration never happened in the past 2 weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I am aware that all this delay happened because of Black Friday & Cyber Monday, therefore I totally respect your offers and hype you created. :smiley:

So now the question would be: will migrations carry on? or may I rely on using the servers with OVZ (as they are)?

• Will ever Windows Server 2016 or 2019 be available as choice?

• @Robotex said:
    Will ever Windows Server 2016 or 2019 be available as choice?

2016 is available upon request in some places. Last I heard 2019 is probably in pipeline. No eta yet.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • lowendclientlowendclient Member
    edited December 2019

@MasonR said:

I have to say it is not the fact. I used to worked in one of the TOP 10 image recognition company in China, most of our product originate from GitHub (Like OpenCV). Once we show our vehicle license plate recognition product to a government customer of a small town, tested 20 plates and only 3 passed the test. The engineers did't even know how to adjust the source parameter from white backround to blue. These town's government just chose which companies can give them most rebate, so they can apply money from the Nation government, buy our product and then earn rebate by themselves. That's the most common situation, not even a vehicle license plate recognition. I can't imagine the technologies you said being used in our daily life.

What kind of 'revolution' you think can happens in China? Like Hongkong? We all know what happened, people just believe in 'Say nothing is the best', keep far from things what can brought dangerous to themselves. Moreover, what's the effects of Hongkong protest? People yelling, crying, fighting, hurt themselves, commit suicide? What change happened to the government? Nothing. The government just sit in the other side and make fun by seeing them destroy Hongkong, if needed, they can easily send an army then end the incident. They just don't, because Hongkong is not so useful to them. People can do nothing when facing the armed forces, they can just kill themself and leave the space.

The only way to deal with our government is to be an asshole. They want to monitor us, so people find ways to hide. They asks for our identities, so we give them fake one. It is an culture originated from our local internet, not only a handful of people can do this, but a huge amount of transactions are processing with fake identities. Because of the identity check technology is very poor, even if you use a fake identity, it is very easy to pass. You can find personal identities being traded above board in technical websites, people buy and use them to batch transactions with multi fake identities. Only the stupidest people submit their real identity to the internet, exposure himself to the government like a nude man. According to our culture, asking for personal identity means the provider wants to monitor our usage regardless of their privacy guarantees. We don't believe in anyone, not only Virmach, means... everyone.

You are a Chinese webmaster:
    1. You are a honest man.
    2. You want your personal blog.
    3. You bought VPS in a Chinese provider, provided your personal ID.
    4. You post a blog about your daily life, complaint the administration.
    5. You caught by the police.
    6. You swear you'll never use your real identity online.

That happens frequently.

• @lowendclient said:

@MasonR said:

I have to say it is not the fact. I used to worked in one of the TOP 10 image recognition company in China, most of our product originate from GitHub (Like OpenCV). Once we show our vehicle license plate recognition product to a government customer of a small town, tested 20 plates and only 3 passed the test. The engineers did't even know how to adjust the source parameter from white backround to blue. These town's government just chose which companies can give them most rebate, so they can apply money from the Nation government, buy our product and then earn rebate by themselves. That's the most common situation, not even a vehicle license plate recognition. I can't imagine the technologies you said being used in our daily life.

What kind of 'revolution' you think can happens in China? Like Hongkong? We all know what happened, people just believe in 'Say nothing is the best', keep far from things what can brought dangerous to themselves. Moreover, what's the effects of Hongkong protest? People yelling, crying, fighting, hurt themselves, commit suicide? What change happened to the government? Nothing. The government just sit in the other side and make fun by seeing them destroy Hongkong, if needed, they can easily send an army then end the incident. They just don't, because Hongkong is not so useful to them. People can do nothing when facing the armed forces, they can just kill themself and leave the space.

The only way to deal with our government is to be an asshole. They want to monitor us, so people find ways to hide. They asks for our identities, so we give them fake one. It is an culture originated from our local internet, not only a handful of people can do this, but a huge amount of transactions are processing with fake identities. Because of the identity check technology is very poor, even if you use a fake identity, it is very easy to pass. You can find personal identities being traded above board in technical websites, people buy and use them to batch transactions with multi fake identities. Only the stupidest people submit their real identity to the internet, exposure himself to the government like a nude man. According to our culture, asking for personal identity means the provider wants to monitor our usage regardless of their privacy guarantees. We don't believe in anyone, not only Virmach, means... everyone.

1. You are a honest man.

That happens frequently.

Then don't transfer a virmach VPS

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • lowendclientlowendclient Member
    edited December 2019

@cybertech said:
    Then don't transfer a virmach VPS

That's a new circle in Chinese community:
    1. Virmach gave amazing offers.
    2. Both scalpers and normal customers hoard VPSes.
    3. They sell to the others in a good price.
    4. Their account being suspended.
    5. They complaint Virmach on Hostloc, reduced Virmach's reputation.
    6. FAT32 went to Hostloc and explain the rule.

One thing I can ensure is a lot of people understand scalpers and hoarding, even accept it, but don't understand why can't they transfer a VPS like a good.
    If Virmach suspended their account (Whatever they sell VPS or bought from others), they will not consider it as a behaviour promote fair, but injure the customers' benefits.

'Why can't I transfer / deal my VPS' is the ideological differences from the root between China and Western. I don't think there is a way to solve it perfectly.
    On day Virmach's restrictions exists and still want to be in Chinese market, there will continue appear new complaints about it on Chinese forums, some of them even flow into English websites - They really felt angry about their account being suspended, want more people know the 'heinous behavior'.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@lowendclient said:
    ... [snip] ...

Not going to comment on the tracking stuff. I'll bet I'm just as misinformed by Western propaganda as you are by Chinese propaganda.

I'd be in favor of completely disallowing transfers of VirMach services all together. I'd be a win-win if they did, too. There'd be much less abuse and scalping, VirMach wouldn't be losing money by wasting time and resources to handle these transfers, and the people that want these servers might actually have a chance at buying them instead of the free for all bum-rush that we all experienced this year. Only downside for VirMach is that the people that purchase the servers might actually use them instead of idling them :P

Thanked by 2tetech lowendclient
  • @MasonR said:

@lowendclient said:
    ... [snip] ...

Not going to comment on the tracking stuff. I'll bet I'm just as misinformed by Western propaganda as you are by Chinese propaganda.

I'd be in favor of completely disallowing transfers of VirMach services all together. I'd be a win-win if they did, too. There'd be much less abuse and scalping, VirMach wouldn't be losing money by wasting time and resources to handle these transfers, and the people that want these servers might actually have a chance at buying them instead of the free for all bum-rush that we all experienced this year. Only downside for VirMach is that the people that purchase the servers might actually use them instead of idling them :P

Yeah, I have the same feelings. A page or two back I also listed some compromises to a total ban, like only being allowed to transfer one service in or out every six months. That would at least limit industrial-scale resale and affect the economics of writing a purchase bot. Ultimately though it is up to VirMach.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2019

@lowendclient said:

@MasonR said:

I'm sorry to say, reading license plates is a decade(s) solved problem and fairly trivial at this point. They're long past license plates and onto facial recognition. China's going to have an easier time than a country with 3+ skin types. You can go to security conferences with security camera demos and it's a basic feature of the lowest commercial models.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_asia/article/597975/chinas-got-a-new-surveillance-camera-that-can-spy-on-you-even-if-youre-45km-awa

Vice is good media, please watch their show on Chinese Surveillance Dystopia.

Unfortunately, a violent one, but needs to happen to prevent Black Mirror future. It starts with changing hearts and minds, really the high up military to not want to kill their own freedom seeking country men and women.

The only way to deal with our government is to be an asshole.

I agree with that.

They want to monitor us, so people find ways to hide. They asks for our identities, so we give them fake one. It is an culture originated from our local internet, not only a handful of people can do this, but a huge amount of transactions are processing with fake identities. Because of the identity check technology is very poor, even if you use a fake identity, it is very easy to pass. You can find personal identities being traded above board in technical websites, people buy and use them to batch transactions with multi fake identities. Only the stupidest people submit their real identity to the internet, exposure himself to the government like a nude man. According to our culture, asking for personal identity means the provider wants to monitor our usage regardless of their privacy guarantees. We don't believe in anyone, not only Virmach, means... everyone.

1. You are a honest man.

That happens frequently.

I think you're entitled to getting a virmach server, and the advice to just not transfer is a good one.

Good luck with your country.

Thanked by 1lowendclient

default said: @VirMach - will migrations started before Black Friday continue? I received a notification about migration on 27th and I have my data backed-up ever since (in case something goes wrong). However, migration never happened in the past 2 weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I am aware that all this delay happened because of Black Friday & Cyber Monday, therefore I totally respect your offers and hype you created.

So now the question would be: will migrations carry on? or may I rely on using the servers with OVZ (as they are)?

This isn't delayed because of Black Friday. We're just out of space in those areas, and out of time. So we figured we could try to wait along for Phoenix and Amsterdam to try to avoid moving people to other locations. We'll announce a new date soon though if there's no sight of the servers being ready.

lowendclient said: 4. Their account being suspended.

Not sure where that rumor's coming from but we're trying to be as graceful as possible in the matter. I don't think anyone's been suspended unless it's related to other abuse. Most of these I just tell the person we can't process an e-mail change maybe, or that they need to clear up their multi-account issue so far.

I think maybe one person may have had a payment returned or something and as a result the service suspended?

Thanked by 2lowendclient Edmond
  • @plumberg said:

@Robotex said:
    Will ever Windows Server 2016 or 2019 be available as choice?

2016 is available upon request in some places. Last I heard 2019 is probably in pipeline. No eta yet.

For CW deals too? The locations are Bufalo and Piscataway, just trying to be sure before opening a ticket.

• the quality of their customer support (tech support) is "awesomely incredible"
    NOT
    smh....

• @armanr said:
    the quality of their customer support (tech support) is "awesomely incredible"
    NOT
    smh....

Please, explain

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • armanr said: the quality of their customer support (tech support) is "awesomely incredible"
    NOT
    smh....

Without any context or backup this comment is totally meaningless.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • I'd say VirMach provides one of the best customer service in the industry. Especially considering my tickets are all for BF promos.

https://imgp.sanvit.me/lgtf38.jpg
    https://imgp.sanvit.me/1jgci0.jpg

Thanked by 3imok Trav FAT32
  • haynhathaynhat Member
    edited December 2019

Currently I have 28 VPSs with Virmach. My first VPSs with them are from 2016 and I am happy with their service and support so far. Just my true review.

Thanked by 1VirMach
  • @sanvit said:
    I'd say VirMach provides one of the best customer service in the industry. Especially considering my tickets are all for BF promos.

https://imgp.sanvit.me/lgtf38.jpg
    https://imgp.sanvit.me/1jgci0.jpg

They’re quite reasonable and amazing to work with. I had a free service from BF 2018 (now cancelled after the year was up) but I wasn’t paying attention to the CPU usage (did say dedicated but then it was free so it was my fault anyway) so they sent me a ticket. No termination, suspension, shutdown. Just a ticket. I noticed it just over a hour and replied within a few hours and the ticket went away and I kept the service.

Kudos to Virmach and their team!

Thanked by 1VirMach
  • I personally have nothing but good experience with Virmach and the team. Have been using them for over an year now and am very pleased with the service and support I receive.

Thanked by 1VirMach
  • So turns out I won't be needing this one I got and I don't mind it idling, however if someone may want it pm me!

$64 yr VIRTUALIZATION KVM – Powerful WINDOWS WINDOWS AVAILABLE RAM 7040MB RAM CPU 4 vCORE HDD 105GB SSD (RAID 10) BANDWIDTH 6500GB BANDWIDTH LOCATION LOS ANGELES, CA LOCATION IPs 1 DEDICATED IPv4

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@lowendclient said:
    1. You are a honest man.

I used to have a Chinese Internet Content Provider (ICP) licence "沪ICP备05055172号". I never ran into any trouble over the years.
    A few years ago I'm informed that my ICP licence has been revoked because my hosting is not in China.

Either way, I proudly display my real identity on my website and in WHOIS information.

• @yoursunny said:
    I used to have a Chinese Internet Content Provider (ICP) licence "沪ICP备05055172号". I never ran into any trouble over the years.
    Either way, I proudly display my real identity on my website and in WHOIS information.

Seems your personal blog don't have comment function.
    Now if you build your blog in China and turn on comment, you'll called by the management department and tell you to turn it off.
    Neither do forum. But community based website is the type I wish to build, so I can only choose abroad.