Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Los Angeles NVMe + Block Storage 3TB $7 limited time! - Page 20
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Los Angeles NVMe + Block Storage 3TB $7 limited time!

Comments

• @thedp said:
    @dahartigan If that's what you got from him then I feel sorry for @key900 :joy:

Exactly my thoughts. This is the shit providers deal with on the daily.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@key900 Be strong! :smiley:

"You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it."

The quote above goes out to you and every other provider out there :joy:

• @dahartigan said:

@r1z said:
    anybody would like to sell or combined to me ? please pm

@r1z you PM'd me thinking I was letbox. I'm going to post it here.

LOL, now your a dickhead... so if i mistake by thinking you own this you post here like a kid... seriously grew up!

• out of stock :(

• @r1z said:
    LOL, now your a dickhead... so if i mistake by thinking you own this you post here like a kid... seriously grew up!

How about a sorry first? 你有过在先

Thanked by 2dahartigan nulldev
  • 暂时错误, 不值得

• @r1z said:
    暂时错误, 不值得

Sorry mate, you are on your own. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Thanked by 3h1z1 dahartigan nulldev
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited November 2019

@r1z said: LOL, now your a dickhead... so if i mistake by thinking you own this you post here like a kid... seriously grew up!

What kind of reply is

so add another stock bro; i need it.

to a presumed provider?

Thanked by 2dahartigan nulldev
  • he admitted it was a mistake which happens with humans,no big deal.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @samm said:
    he admitted it was a mistake which happens with humans,no big deal.

He admitted that he made a mistake in taking @dahartigan to be the provider LetBox

I asked him what kind of reply the quoted reply was to a presumed provider

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • bruh

• @angstrom said:

@samm said:

He admitted that he made a mistake in taking @dahartigan to be the provider LetBox

It is a cultural and language barrier. I rewrite a lot of Chinglish for PRC classmates and they often express themselves in weirdly because of weakness in English language and culture. When I mentally reverse translate into Mandarin Chinese, often it actually doesn't sound as offensive as it appeared to be.

• @poisson - subleties and nuances are all well and good, but in this case dudebro seems to me to be just a wee bit pushy ... to the point of being obnoxious. Is this something you've found a way to translate as well? Or is perhaps this bro just ... I dunno ... not cool, bro.

• @poisson said:

@angstrom said:

@samm said:

It is a cultural and language barrier. I rewrite a lot of Chinglish for PRC classmates and they often express themselves in weirdly because of weakness in English language and culture. When I mentally reverse translate into Mandarin Chinese, often it actually doesn't sound as offensive as it appeared to be.

I understand this.

Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to point out that the formulation of his reply is unacceptable when writing to any provider, and I wonder whether the equivalent formulation in this instance really sounds more acceptable in Mandarin.

In any case, I (perhaps mistakenly) took the formulation of his reply to be at least partly intentional (i.e., that his intention was to be informal and "funny"), and that he wasn't completely a linguistic victim in this respect.

Thanked by 2dahartigan uptime
  • Brief explanation: they don't know or are confused about how to use modal verbs such as may/might, can/could, shall/should and will/would to express their intentions appropriately.

• poissonpoisson Member
    edited November 2019

@angstrom said:
    I understand this.

Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to point out that the formulation of his reply is unacceptable when writing to any provider, and I wonder whether the equivalent formulation in this instance really sounds more acceptable in Mandarin.

In any case, I (perhaps mistakenly) took the formulation of his reply to be at least partly intentional (i.e., that his intention was to be informal and "funny"), and that he wasn't completely a linguistic victim in this respect.

Let me act as a bridge and explain in greater detail (and betray a part of my professional life outside let).

The offending sentence seems to be "so add another stock bro". I would reverse translate into "那就再加一个吧"

The proper translation should be "In that case, could you add another?"

The trouble is the Mandarin character 吧, which in linguistics is called a discourse particle that imparts tonal properties. Without that particle, even in Mandarin, the sentence will sound rude. The 吧 softens the tone to that of a polite request.

In English, instead of relying on discourse particles to convey tones, modal verbs (see my previous comment ) are used instead. However, I think @r1z doesn't have the linguistic capability to translate the tone properly, and tried to do that via adding the word "bro", which had the unintended and unfortunate consequence of further inflammation of the perceived rudeness.

This is indeed a language and cultural faux pax, so let's all live and let live, ya?

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

So they might want to write something more like:

"Dearest Provider - if you could be so kind as to please let me know if you might be able to add more stock for this offer, it would be very helpful for my immediate needs. My gratitude for your consideration would be most profound." :smiley:

okay, tbh I'm not sure that's all that much better ... bro.

• @uptime said:
    So they might want to write something more like:

"Dearest Provider - if you could be so kind as to please let me know if you might be able to add more stock for this offer, it would be very helpful for my immediate needs. My gratitude for your consideration would be most profound." :smiley:

okay, tbh I'm not sure that's all that much better ... bro.

All that’s missing is the name of a Nigerian Bank.

• @poisson maybe you could add this valuable piece of information about discourse particles that impart tonal properties to our award winning bestseller "Chinese Crash Course".

Thanked by 2dahartigan uptime
  • @ITLabs said:
    @poisson maybe you could add this valuable piece of information about discourse particles that impart tonal properties to our award winning bestseller "Chinese Crash Course".

Oh dear lord. That was a painful memory.

• @poisson said:

@angstrom said:
    I understand this.

Let me act as a bridge and explain in greater detail (and betray a part of my professional life outside let).

The offending sentence seems to be "so add another stock bro". I would reverse translate into "那就再加一个吧"

The proper translation should be "In that case, could you add another?"

The trouble is the Mandarin character 吧, which in linguistics is called a discourse particle that impart tonal properties. Without that particle, even in Mandarin, the sentence will also sound rude. The 吧 softens the tone to that of a polite request.

In English, instead of relying on discourse particles to convey tones, modal verbs (see my previous comment ) are used instead. However, I think @r1z doesn't have the linguistic capability to translate the tone properly, and tried to do that via adding the word "bro", which had the unintended and unfortunate consequence of further inflammation of the perceived rudeness.

This is indeed a language and cultural faux pax, so let's all live and let live, ya?

We're good :smile:

• @dahartigan said:

@r1z said:
    anybody would like to sell or combined to me ? please pm

@r1z you PM'd me thinking I was letbox. I'm going to post it here.

My man, your unchecked notifications giving me anxiety.

• These linguistic intricacies are very interesting, but the main question remains: @dahartigan when you add another stock, bro?

• @seriesn said:
    My man, your unchecked notifications giving me anxiety.

Haha I understand completely. I am training myself by not clearing it. The inbox notifications trigger that for me, I can't deal with an "unread" message lol

Thanked by 2seriesn Trav
  • @ITLabs said:
    These linguistic intricacies are very interesting, but the main question remains: @dahartigan when you add another stock, bro?

Stock added bro :-) I added another 19 units.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @key900: add another stock bro; we need it.

• @dahartigan said:

@ITLabs said:
    These linguistic intricacies are very interesting, but the main question remains: @dahartigan when you add another stock, bro?

Stock added bro :-) I added another 19 units.

Thanked by 2uptime dahartigan