Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@DA_Mark said:

@Francisco said:

You could open a facility in West Edmonton Mall, right above the footlocker, and call it DirectCrossing.

Francisco

Already done. There's a Forever 21 next to us that is shutting down. Maybe BuyVM can fill that space. Think of the money you'd save on re-branding. You could be Forever OutOfStock.

:wink:

The memes write themselves!

Francisco

Thanked by 1MikeAtBun
  • Yes LET austerity grade license will be welcomed.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • LET licenses would be a great idea. If the licenses aren't to your liking, we provide the option of suing us for damages and lost revenue. It's a LET license for the people.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

DA_Mark said: I am not denying the truth of that but that sounds like a lot of development for a hobbyist. My brain is hearing "Don't forget that personal servers are used for commercial development" Or do you mean you just have that many personal/hobby projects on the side that you have 30 domains???

maybe I am not clear of defination of domains in terms of DA licensing. If i have a site and it consists of

domain.com - main site
    forum.domain.com - forum subdomain
    blog.domain.com - blog subdomain
    gallery.domain.com - gallery subdomain
    downloads.domain.com - download subdomain
    chat.domain.com - chat subdomain

is that considered 1 domain or 6 domains for DA licensing ?

DA_Mark said: Exactly why the Lite license needs to be crippled enough for a personal user to be happy, and everybody else grumpy. It's not meant to compete with other offerings.

ok if it isn't meant to compete with other offerings then I get it - i thought you'd go after those old cPanel VPS users who have just over 10-30 accounts where their costs on new cPanel licensing prices will jump from US$15/month to now needing a US$30/month cPanel Pro license. DA full license being US$29/month is only 1 dollar less that cPanel Pro license, so those folks wouldn't bother with the move and just probably move up to cPanel Pro instead. Now would be the time to really capture the market though !

yokowasis said: Depends on how cheap it is. If we are talking about "personal" license for personal use, pretty sure most of us don't need any panel. We will just go cli all the way, using some github stack auto installer. There are a lot of them, and centminmod by @eva2000 is one the greatest and it comes for free.

The main reason using panel is for commercial use. Because we need to offer something that's easy to the customer / client. So limiting the license from "personal" and "commercial" point of view simply isn't right. Why would I need a panel for my "personal" vps / project / website, if I can do everything from a cli ? it's not like I need to setup the website everyday.

Indeed - I consult with alot of clients/sites through my paid server optimisation work over the decades and some are using cPanel and some are using my own Centmin Mod LEMP stack. With cPanel licensing changes, these clients are predominantly forums or wordpress sites and some are staying with cPanel as price raise isn't enough to justify the move, some are moving to DirectAdmin and some are moving to my own developed Centmin Mod LEMP stack via an importer I am writing https://github.com/centminmod/cpanel-backup. There's also some that are waiting to see what DirectAdmin Lite license will bring too.

For my forum/wordpress using clients, I usually recommend staging test copies of their sites for major software upgrades and dev work so it's very easy for a single site to end up with many domains/subdomains which have no use beyond testing. Hence, why I put forth the suggestion of 20-30 domains for DA Lite licensing.

Thanked by 2vimalware kkrajk
  • DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited July 2019

@eva2000 Thank you for the response, and the many words you are willing to put into it.

Looks like a confusion in terminology.

domain.com - main site
    no.stock.at.buyvm.com truth subdomain

We would consider this 1 domain. All the others are the subdomain feature, but for measurement purposes, just 1 domain.

This helps me understand why many people want so many domains. In our terminology, it's just one domain. So we are not in disagreement after all.

Thanked by 3eva2000 vimalware lazyt
  • uptimeuptime Member

@DA_Mark said:
    Who is summerhost? Is it a company or group of people? I am asking because I noticed when school gets out for the summer, there are a lot of inquiries about starting a new hosting companies and of course they are asking about control panels. I am really hoping to capitalize on this group. Sounds like the most reliable and trustworthy hosts possible.

https://summerhosting.com will teach you all about it

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited July 2019

@uptime said:

https://summerhosting.com will teach you all about it

Much appreciated, sir. Might be a good opportunity to promote SummerAdmin, our new seasonal control panel. Best for hosts entering the market at the start of summer, and leaving at the end of it. It's unique because it utilizes quantum physics to allow overselling at levels never before possible.

Thanked by 2uptime vovler
  • uptimeuptime Member

Yup - our admins are like our servers: summer here, summer there, summer on vacation right now, should be back to handle your tickets in a few weeks or so.

Thanked by 2DA_Mark vimalware
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

DA_Mark said: We would consider this 1 domain. All the others are the subdomain feature, but for measurement purposes, just 1 domain.

This helps me understand why many people want so many domains. In our terminology, it's just one domain. So we are not in disagreement after all.

would be good to clarify that on licensing/faqs on your web site :)

• akhfaakhfa Member

I personally happy with 1 account limit, 5 domain, no support, with price no more than the cheapest hetzner cloud pricing :wink:

If I rent server 2.5 euro/month, I will be happy to buy quality panel in 1 euro pricing. I also think that server with 2 GB RAM with 5 domain is "just enough" for personal use.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • donlidonli Member

@akhfa said:
    I personally happy with 1 account limit, 5 domain, no support, with price no more than the cheapest hetzner cloud pricing :wink:

1 account, 5 domain limit, no support would be great for a cheap "personal" option.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark the domain limit in a license is applicable for sub-domains too?

Suppose I create 3 DA accounts (3 separate panels for each) as follows:
    1. EXAMPLE.COM
    2. BLOG.EXAMPLE.COM
    3. HOSTING.ORG

then does DA counts them as 3 domains or 2 in a license?

-- update: It seems its already answered in above comment.

@Francisco does cPanel (new pricing) counts sub-domains (in reseller account) as each additional cpanel account or its the same like DA above? In example above: Will cPanel bill you (and thus me) for 3 accounts or 2?

Sofia_K said: @Francisco does cPanel (new pricing) counts sub-domains (in reseller account) as each additional cpanel account or its the same like DA above? In example above: Will cPanel bill you (and thus me) for 3 accounts or 2?

If it's all under the same primary account, it's 1 account.

If you make multiple accounts, each being a sub domain, then you're paying for each account then.

cPanel is counting how many system users exists, nothing more.

Francisco

• Francisco said: If you make multiple accounts, each being a sub domain, then you're paying for each account then.

then DA seems a better option for cpanel resellers to migrate.

• donlidonli Member

@Sofia_K said:

Francisco said: If you make multiple accounts, each being a sub domain, then you're paying for each account then.

Cheaper, yes. Better, maybe.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K

@Sofia_K said:

Francisco said: If you make multiple accounts, each being a sub domain, then you're paying for each account then.

cPanel is fine if:

• You have deep pockets and don't care
    • Have a small handful of accounts
    • Are perfectly happy passing the cost through to your end users

For BuyVM users it's worth it to move to a Slice + DA if you have more than 30 - 40 active accounts on a reseller.

Francisco

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • nfnnfn Veteran
    edited July 2019

Lite should be 1 user up to 5 domains for free with community support only.
    Eventually a "Professional" for $29/year for 1 user up to 25 domains.

Now we just need to ask Litespeed to match the free licence to allow those 5 domains :smile:

• Also the sooner it is released the better. Because cPanel hoster already increasing their price, all of us need something to move.

• emreemre Member, LIR

who thinks @DA_Mark was such a talkative nice person who knows all the jargon of let and with great humor.

in all my years dealing with directadmin the longest mail I get from him is "done"

• donlidonli Member

@yokowasis said:
    Also the sooner it is released the better. Because cPanel hoster already increasing their price, all of us need something to move.

CPanel hinted at an announcement today so best to wait until after their announcement (and any possible change in their pricing/terms) before any such decisions are made.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • akhfaakhfa Member

@emre said:
    who thinks @DA_Mark was such a talkative nice person who knows all the jargon of let and with great humor.

in all my years dealing with directadmin the longest mail I get from him is "done"

He always spying LET :wink:

• kp93kp93 Member

@DA_Mark

For Lite version I suggest :-

One Admin
    One User
    10 Domains
    No Reseller Option

For personal or any hobby project this is maximum most of the users will have.

Or Second option.

Make best VPS providers from LET your partners , and include license itself with their VPS,
    it will benefit both who comes here to search for best provider , low cost panel license.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • williewillie Member

@DA_Mark my feedback about lite license: I'm speaking only for myself and I'm probably not typical, but for me it would have to be VERY cheap, like the $7 annual that someone mentioned. $0 with community-support-only would be even better. And (ok, I don't know how the software works) a 10-20 domain limit could be ok but I'd want to be able to control many physical servers with it (like most LET members I have idlers all over the world).

I've used shared hosting plans with cpanel and VestaCP plus a few homegrown VPS panels like Scaleway's and DO's, and so far I've only cared about the simplest functionality. So I don't need anything as fancy as cpanel or probably DA. Particularly, VestaCP satisfied me. And on the other hand, I was for a while into LowEndSpirit VPS which start around $3 a year (lowendspirit.com: they are small OpenVZ servers with NAT ipv4 instead of a dedicated v4 address). So if a nice web panel was much more expensive than a LES container or two, I'd probably use a free panel instead, and just live without whatever its missing functionality was, or possibly try to code it myself.

Also, on VPS, I haven't cared about panels at all so far. I just use Ansible for all my routine installations and apt-get for non-routine ones, etc. But I can imagine that a gui could be nicer for some things, so nothing against the concept.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited July 2019

my Lite plan feedback:

• Domain limit : 5 (I understand subdomains would not be counted , for us avid self-hosters)
    • Price : as cheap yearly-only as you can go, for access to the security update CDN.
      I wouldn't be able to spare more than $12/yr because that's all I can afford for hobby tools.

• Support: community-only is the way to go like willie said.
      Highlight that fact in multiple places in the order process, to let it sink in properly to the skulls of some of our friends.
      (you'll get an active forum. Please make search work well.)

Edit: +No reseller features. The feature set should be targeted at PHP self-hosters.
    Some security features like jailing to a home directory per PHP app would be great.

• LeviLevi Member

Imagine: Hetzner cloud/dedicated servers with FREE DirectAdmin... Holy hell...

• lazytlazyt Member

Lite 10 to 15 domains.

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • @lazyt said:
    Lite 10 to 15 domains.

I'd vote for 15 ;-)

• Francisco said: Have a small handful of accounts

yup less than 19 accounts! Many of them are just sub-domains for my main domain!

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited July 2019

@DA_Mark said:
    @eva2000 Thank you for the response, and the many words you are willing to put into it.

Looks like a confusion in terminology.

domain.com - main site
    no.stock.at.buyvm.com truth subdomain

We would consider this 1 domain. All the others are the subdomain feature, but for measurement purposes, just 1 domain.

on cPanel VPS people put those in separate cPanel accounts (counted for the limit or +.20/mo now) for insulation purposes as when wp got comrpomised some scripts stuff in any available folder ... I also has a developer client and she made different dev.domain.com account again for insulation and development purposes* so i do not know what will be right as account numbers ...

btw trough the last 4 years I also visited buyvm several times when on couple occasions I needed something close to the westcoast it was always out of stock :) and cause it was for something LEB size and only temporary project i always decided to not border Francisco in the forums

@nfn said:
    Lite should be 1 user up to 5 domains for free with community support only.
    Eventually a "Professional" for $29/year for 1 user up to 25 domains.

Now we just need to ask Litespeed to match the free licence to allow those 5 domains :smile:

You can run Open Lite Speed with .haccess support on DA (with reloads from user panel or when you edit htaccess from file manager or trough cron - just read the docs :)

• lazytlazyt Member

I'm really looking forward to the lite personal version. It would be great for the testing server. As long as DA doesn't mind it getting reinstalled every few days.