Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway new server range
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway new server range

Renamed few of the plan names, increased price and reduced core count (as usual)

https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/

Thanked by 1Janevski

Comments

• "Development Instances are running on AMD EPYC shared cores and are designed to support websites and applications as well as development and staging environments. " - thats why.. No more atoms, finally..

https://blog.scaleway.com/2019/introducing-development-cloud-instances/

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2019

You can still lock in START-1-XS for 1.99 EUR in AMS, which is being removed in the new lineup (cheapest will be 2.99 EUR). ACT NOW :D

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

So a double price increase, interesting.
    Bloody french.

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

online.net sucks anyways

• LeviLevi Member

Hetzner winning this.

Thanked by 1eol
  • XeiXei Member
    edited March 2019

The 2 core START1-S is €3.99, the 2 core DEV1-S is €2.99. If anything they've gone back to their old pricing for 2 core instances (which were €2.99) but with a significant storage and speed reduction. It sounds like these DEV instances have better CPUs than the START instances?

START1-S
    cores 2 x86-64 2 GB 50 GB
    NVMe 200 Mbit/s €3.99/mo
    €0.008/hr

DEV1-S
    cores 2 x86-64 2 GB 20 GB
    NVMe 100 Mbits/s €2.99/mo
    €0.006/hr

• XeiXei Member

@LTniger said:
    Hetzner winning this.

In what ways is Hetzner winning? Just curious. I think I had tested Scaleway vs Hetzner and Scaleway CPU performance was better. Also 2 core VPS are still cheaper at Scaleway, cheapest at Hetzner is €4.90, cheapest at Scaleway is €2.99 now.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2019

This is all i care about:
    C1 4 ARMv7 2 GB 50 GB 200 Mbits/s 1 Gbit/s €2.99/mo €0.006/hr

Woow, look at that:
    RENDER-S New 10 cores 1 GPU 45 GB 400 GB NVMe 1 Gbit/s €500.00/mo €1.00/hr

GPU A spawned GPU Instance is yours for as long as you like. They cannot be pre-empted within the next 30 seconds, even if their prices are very attractive. Billing is stable and predictable so you can let your tasks run with peace of mind. We propose you the best price-performance ratio.
    This server is more worthy than me.

edited March 2019

Janevski said: This is all i care about:
    C1 4 ARMv7

The ARM dedi is sadly too limited, can't run own kernel easily, slow and weird network-based storage, doesn't have and will not have IPv6. Even their own ARM VPSes are honestly a smoother product (not to mention the CPU being multiple times faster).

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • XeiXei Member
    edited March 2019

The VC1-> Start lineup had a 60% CPU performance increase from independent benchmarks people posted. And these newer CPUs for the DEV instances apparently will be a step up from the Start CPUs so again we will have processing speed improvements while returning to the prior price point for 2 cores. If anything, they keep improving their offerings even if we are losing storage/speed as a result, CPU performance keeps improving. It's too bad they couldn't keep it at 200mbit with 50g though. The fact they did away with the 1 core plan maybe it wasn't a long term viable option to offer. Hetzner wins hand downs when it comes to network speed at least, since it is 10gbit (though Scaleway may have more preferential routing).

• They do not offer PayPal so I am not interested.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2019

@rm_ said:

Janevski said: This is all i care about:
    C1 4 ARMv7

The ARM dedi is sadly too limited, can't run own kernel easily, slow and weird network-based storage, doesn't have and will not have IPv6. Even their own ARM VPSes are honestly a smoother product (not to mention the CPU being multiple times faster).

Not that i've run an objective benchmark or something, but when i tried thread and network intensive tasks on Commercial (baremetal) vs VirtualCommercial (VPS), i got way better results on the baremetal.
    Their VC1 are CPU and I/O limited, thus practically weaker than the C1.

• AIOAIO Member

@rm_ said:
    You can still lock in START-1-XS for 1.99 EUR in AMS, which is being removed in the new lineup (cheapest will be 2.99 EUR). ACT NOW :D

If you want to idle those machines, you can remove the IPv4 address (reserved), and it will only be 0.99 EUR per month. You can add an IPv4 when you want to actually use it for something.

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2019

Network port speed doesn't mean much unless there's fast peering to go with it. Hetzner beats everyone for local hardware resources, but I've found OVH's network to be somewhat better than Hetzner's at least for transatlantic traffic. I haven't directly compared Online/Scaleway's though I still have a couple of dedis with them. Hetzner in EU is good but I suspect the 10gbps ports on their cloud VPS to be of most usefulness if both ends of the connection are inside Hetzner.

That's interesting if Scaleway has ditched the Atom and D-15xx stuff completely and migrated to Epyc. I wonder how loaded the cores are. The higher end "general purpose" Epyc stuff is way too expensive per month for my tastes. But it gives an easy way to try out Epyc for a few hours so I might do that.

They also seem to be deprecating the ARM stuff. I still have a Scaleway C1 dedi (one of the two dedis I mentioned above) and have kept it around because it's a somewhat unique product and it's cheap, and I felt like if I cancelled it I wouldn't be able to get another one. I occasionally used it for ARM dev purposes. But I'd be better off just using my Beaglebone or getting a Raspberry Pi or something.

• athanathan Member
    edited March 2019

No user iso, no *BSD, only those scaleway modded linux distros, practically non existent support and prices that increase every while...
    Being an Online's loyal customer years ago I wonder where this company is really going today...

Thanked by 1quicksilver03
  • XeiXei Member

I wonder down the road what happens to those us with the original VC and Start plans. I imagine at some point they will phase out the older hardware since they don't offer new instances on them?

• That could eventually happen but it looks like they will continue to support the old stuff for a while longer.

• LeviLevi Member

Xei said: In what ways is Hetzner winning?

In the way being less dicks with "surprise price change".

• HaxHax Member

@Xei said:

@LTniger said:
    Hetzner winning this.

In what ways is Hetzner winning? Just curious. I think I had tested Scaleway vs Hetzner and Scaleway CPU performance was better. Also 2 core VPS are still cheaper at Scaleway, cheapest at Hetzner is €4.90, cheapest at Scaleway is €2.99 now.

Do you have benchmark results like Unixbench and or Geekbench?

• I like that there's a 256GB instance. It's expensive, but Hetzner doesn't have one at all. I wonder if the CPU threads on that "general purpose" series are dedicated. If they are, the pricing is in the same general league as Hetzner's dedicated-cpu cloud instances.

I notice looking at ovh.com they are offering a $35 coupon for cloud services, good for 1 month, if anyone cares: https://www.ovh.com/world/public-cloud/instances/

I'm not that excited by the OVH offer but could imagine using it for a few free hours on a huge machine, if I had a use for that.

• DEV1-XL will fullfill my hungry memory ansible.

edited March 2019

Janevski said: Not that i've run an objective benchmark or something, but when i tried thread and network intensive tasks on Commercial (baremetal) vs VirtualCommercial (VPS), i got way better results on the baremetal.
    Their VC1 are CPU and I/O limited, thus practically weaker than the C1.

VC1 is not offered anymore, it was using an old 8-core Atom with CPU heavily oversold (lots of "steal%" in top). The current START-XS doesn't seem to have this issue, and the ARM VPS is a different thing entirely, with even the 3 EUR VPS providing 4 cores which also do not seem oversold: the Cavium ThunderX CPU has 48 cores, and supposedly there are more than one of these in a server.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • XeiXei Member

@Doutei said:

@Xei said:

@LTniger said:
    Hetzner winning this.

Do you have benchmark results like Unixbench and or Geekbench?

Dunno if I saved them. Takes a penny to spin up one and test. :P

• AIOAIO Member

rm_ said: 3 EUR VPS providing 4 cores which also do not seem oversold:

It's a dedicated ARM machine. There is no ARM VPS. It is an actual server with a tiny motherboard and everything.

• AIO said: There is no ARM VPS. It is an actual server with a tiny motherboard and everything.

That's the C1, which is 32-bit ARM. There is also a series of ARM VPS with up to 64 cores. They are 64-bit ARM and the 4-core one was also 3 EUR/m and somewhat faster than the C1, though not dedicated.

I did a gcc 7.2 build on the 8-core, 32gb version a while back, that took 689 minutes of cpu time, 136 minutes real time (the build script doesn't always keep all the cores busy). That's much longer than a reasonable 8-core x86 would take.

edited March 2019

AIO said: There is no ARM VPS.

You are so, so dumb, this is sad.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • Jona4sJona4s Member
    edited April 2019

@willie said:
    I did a gcc 7.2 build on the 8-core, 32gb version a while back, that took 689 minutes of cpu time, 136 minutes real time (the build script doesn't always keep all the cores busy). That's much longer than a reasonable 8-core x86 would take.

Obviously x86 is order of magnitudes faster, but for specific use cases, for example (an HTTP server) I usually check the exact instruction that takes most CPU time with perf.

perf annotate --stdio

Percent    Source code Disassembly of naive

------------------------------------------------
         :  Disassembly of section .text:
         :
         :  00008c10 :
    0.58 :    8c10:       vldr    s14, [r2]
    1.07 :    8c14:       vldr    s13, [r1]
    1.67 :    8c18:       add     r3, r3, #1
    54.13 :   8c1c:       cmp     r3, #500        ; 0x1f4
    2.39 :    8c20:       mov     r9, r1
    36.60 :   8c24:       vmla.f32        s15, s13, s14
    1.34 :    8c28:       add     r2, r2, #2000   ; 0x7d0
    0.00 :    8c2c:       bne     8c0c 
    0.01 :    8c30:       vmov    r3, s15

arch : armv6l
    cpudesc : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l) 

And Golang for example has a buildin objdump, that let's trace the ARM opcode to the source-level function.

So optimizing those instructions will make some routines on ARM have roughly the same performance of x86

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited April 2019

Spun up a base model 2Core/2GB Development EPYC vm.

Geekbench4: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12662939

and cpuinfo:

processor   : 1
    vendor_id   : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family  : 23
    model       : 1
    model name  : AMD EPYC 7281 16-Core Processor
    stepping    : 2
    microcode   : 0x1000065
    cpu MHz     : 2096.056
    cache size  : 512 KB
    physical id : 1
    siblings    : 1
    core id     : 0
    cpu cores   : 1
    apicid      : 1
    initial apicid  : 1
    fpu     : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level : 13
    wp      : yes
    flags       : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm rep_good nopl cpuid extd_apicid pni pclmulqdq ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ssbd ibpb vmmcall fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 rdseed adx smap clflushopt sha_ni xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 virt_ssbd arat npt nrip_save
    bugs        : fxsave_leak sysret_ss_attrs null_seg spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass
    bogomips    : 4192.11
    TLB size    : 1024 4K pages
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited April 2019

The 3core/4GB Dev vm doesn't really scale up multi-core performance like one would think : https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12663198

• sinsin Member
    edited April 2019

@vimalware said:
    The 3core/4GB Dev vm doesn't really scale up multi-core performance like one would think : https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12663198

That's like almost every VPS I buy...whenever I get a good VPS I think hey I might as well get an upgrade for a little more performance! only for the 2nd VPS with more cores to get stuck on a node thats more overloaded =/.

Thanked by 1vimalware