Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway new server range - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway new server range

13»

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2019

lebidule said: my 2 servers (in Paris and Amsterdam)

Actually just after this I realized I need to do this myself. While I have a couple of them saved up in Amsterdam, I did not have any in Paris.

One trick: if you delete the attached IPv4, unlink and delete the boot volume, the powered-off instance with no IPs or volumes attached will become free to keep. The hard part here will be restoring it back, as you will need to create a clean volume, attach it to this instance, then use the rescue system to restore the OS manually (either from a previously saved "dd" image, or some other way). Because there is no built in (re)install function in the panel.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • Just backup the image, and then create a new instance and reuse the snapshot

Example from documentation:
    scw create $(scw tag my-snapshot my-image)

lebidule said: Just backup the image, and then create a new instance and reuse the snapshot

Keeping a snapshot costs "€0.00004 per gigabyte-hour or a monthly fixed price of €0.02 per gigabyte-month.". So a 25 GB snapshot will be 0.5 EUR/month.

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs
  • Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited July 2019

@lebidule said:
    Hi
    I just registered to write you thank you !
    I'm enjoying my 2 servers (in Paris and Amsterdam) at 2€/m

Fixing your command:
    scw login
    scw --region="ams1" run--boot-type=local --commercial-type=START1-XS debian-stretch

Thanks - I did not investigate the many, many commands of the scw CLI tool, but only posted the one that (in my case) succeeded in creating a new instance. After that I fiddled with it in their control panel :D

And yes, the lack of a reinstall function (or even of a reliable serial console) is remarkably stupid.

• defaultdefault Veteran

Indeed. It's very weird that one can not reinstall the damn operating system. This is very stupid. You have to delete and recreate the instance, or hold snapshot and create volumes from it. It is extremely weird.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited July 2019

@rm_ said:
    One trick: if you delete the attached IPv4, unlink and delete the boot volume, the powered-off instance with no IPs or volumes attached will become free to keep. The hard part here will be restoring it back, as you will need to create a clean volume, attach it to this instance, then use the rescue system to restore the OS manually (either from a previously saved "dd" image, or some other way). Because there is no built in (re)install function in the panel.

And still, dd or other way, thanks to their tortuous system (DHCP + unstable IPs + poor console + cloud-init + in-house scripts etc.) restoring to a blank volume is likely to prove a study in horror...

• @rm_ said:

Can I delete IPv4 and use IPv6 only on this server?

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@l2o88j said:
    Renamed few of the plan names, increased price and reduced core count (as usual)

https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/

Hetzner cloud is far more better than Scaleway (My personal opinion)

edited August 2019

supick said: Can I delete IPv4 and use IPv6 only on this server?

Yes you can. It makes the server cheaper by 1 Euro. (2 -> 1 EUR for START, 3 -> 2 EUR for DEV)

Thanked by 1supick