Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway new server range - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway new server range

Comments

• @sin said:
    That's like almost every VPS I buy...whenever I get a good VPS I think hey I might as well get an upgrade for a little more performance! only for the 2nd VPS with more cores to get stuck on a node thats more overloaded =/.

Seen the same thing happen @ Hetzner. Going from a 2 core to a 4 core. Geekbench on the 2 core was 6k, expected 12k on the 4 core. Ended up with 9k for double the price. That delete server button got pressed fast.

Learned this lesson a long time ago: Only Bare Metal if you want speed ( and the Hetzner Cloud "dedicated" VPNs are expensive compared to their own Bare Meta servers ).

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2019

Benjiro said: Geekbench on the 2 core was 6k, expected 12k on the 4 core. Ended up with 9k for double the price.

Did you try that more than once and was it consistent? 6k on the 2 core is better than I would have expected btw.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited April 2019

@Benjiro said:

Seen the same thing happen @ Hetzner. Going from a 2 core to a 4 core. Geekbench on the 2 core was 6k, expected 12k on the 4 core. Ended up with 9k for double the price.

FWIW, I would have been fine with your 3core bench on 4core vps, especially on a sharedcore vps lineup.

even the host cpus don't scale up benchmarks linearly by core count.

Read VCPU count and do the math of averages
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+Gold+6140+@+2.30GHz&id=3132

Edit: in my previous geekbench linked comments, I was just remarking on the variance in multicore scores(going from 2 to 3). Both the single core and multicore scores behave differently based on host nodes load.

We don't have newly enough data to conclude that scaleway epyc is 'bad'. I'm still happily testing this new arch.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited April 2019

Some Geekbenches for the Scaleway Gen-Purpose (EPYC 7401P ) instances in PAR zone.( gotta use the 70 EURs leftover free credits somehow. :wink: )

16GB Gen-purpose (EPYC 7401P ):
    vm1: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12924087
    vm2: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12924092

32GB Gen-purpose ( EPYC 7401P ):
    bigVM1-run1: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12924103
    bigVM1-run2: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12924154

bigVM2-run1: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/12924174
    (so, probably just a saturated node on bigVM1)

Seems the 16GB gen-purpose instances are the best bang for buck for multi-threaded hourly compute.

These modern EPYCs are capable:
    I see 1.1 GB/sec for 'openssl speed -evp aes128' . i.e line-rate userspace crypto for 10GBit uplinks.

• XeiXei Member

Still not available in Amsterdam. :\

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2019

@Xei said:
    Still not available in Amsterdam. :\

Those might be available for Amsterdam later, because it was sold nicely in Paris; but for now it's not out of stock completely, so I don't think it will worth the effort in other datacenters.

• XeiXei Member
    edited May 2019

They were claiming they're replacing the old line up with these afaik? They said there is no official ETA though for AMS.

• netfliqnetfliq Member

No Paypal payment?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2019

Xei said: They said there is no official ETA though for AMS.

The blog post said:

They will also be available in Amsterdam (AMS1) early May.

Meanwhile you can still get the 1.99 EUR box and then get upgraded to Ryzen for free.

Start Instances will be gradually replaced by Development Instances, which offer a significantly improved performance per vCPU. As of today, they can no longer be created in the console [<- FALSE] and will be deprecated in our API in the coming months.

If you currently run one or several of these instances, they are still fully supported. They can be migrated to our latest hypervisor generation for free. To do so, archive then restart your servers. There will be no change in name or specifications.

Thanked by 2default datanoise
  • defaultdefault Veteran

Bumping... it's May 25th 2019.

According to Scaleway's blog post, their Development instances on AMD EPYC should have been available starting early May. Sure, everybody thought early May 2019 ; but I think they refer to May 2020 or 2021, as this May will soon be gone.

Thanked by 2rm_ uptime
  • mikmakmikmak Member

right, we are a little bit behind schedule, but not that much, just bear with us for a few more days, we are just making sure everything works as it must.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@mikmak said:
    right, we are a little bit behind schedule, but not that much, just bear with us for a few more days, we are just making sure everything works as it must.

So... it's early June now. I can't stop but wondering... what year?

• UKCC1UKCC1 Member

I looked at trying Scaleways a couple of weeks ago as fancied their baremetal ARM for 2.99 euro , but at the time the ONLY instances that were available were the GPU instance which cost 500euro! Nothing else available so I gave up and went elsewhere.

Even if they had other instances in stock there were a few things regarding billing that made me a bit reluctant to take them on. They only allow billing in euros and only accept debit/credit cards with no option to prepay in advance.
    My bank charges me 2.9% plus £2 for card payments not in GBP which means I am paying almost twice as much per month in bank fees to buy from Scaleways. If I could prepay with card or paypal then this would be better but they don't offer this.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2019

UKCC1 said: the ONLY instances that were available were the GPU instance which cost 500euro! Nothing else available

Or you could have switched the tab to AMS. Paris is sometimes out of stock on this and that, but AMS has plenty available and that BOTH were out of stock on EVERYTHING, sorry that's a fairy tale.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited May 2019

@Benjiro said:
    Seen the same thing happen @ Hetzner. Going from a 2 core to a 4 core. Geekbench on the 2 core was 6k, expected 12k on the 4 core. Ended up with 9k for double the price. That delete server button got pressed fast.

No surprise there. Doubling the cores does only rarely get you double performance. Increasing performance by 50% to 65% is quite normal unless you have a somewhat exotic workload.

@vimalware said:
    These modern EPYCs are capable:
    I see 1.1 GB/sec for 'openssl speed -evp aes128' . i.e line-rate userspace crypto for 10GBit uplinks.

Nice but not really surprising. Note though that in normal use cases (e.g. web server) I'd expect that to drop very considerably, but hey, even 1 to 3 Gb/s (plus lots of connections http/fastcgi served) are plenty for most servers. Also note that AES (or, more generally sym. crypto) isn't the problem since quite some years. TLS setup/handshake is the killer. I mention that because at least until very recently large register IMUL was one of the few things where intel was better (AMD had only half the vector width).

Thanked by 2uptime vimalware
  • defaultdefault Veteran

Netherlands now has the new server range; early May 2019 became late June 2019, but let's look on the bright side: they finally kept their promise. Development Instances are now running on AMD EPYC shared vCPUs in Amsterdam datacenters.

• Bummer no PayPal

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • mikmakmikmak Member

@default said:
    Netherlands now has the new server range; early May 2019 became late June 2019, but let's look on the bright side: they finally kept their promise. Development Instances are now running on AMD EPYC shared vCPUs in Amsterdam datacenters.

yes, we took some time to confirm our testing (and actually found 1 issue so that was a usefull precaution),
    we also had 2 major migration on the lower layers (network+hypervisors) to prepare some new features (coming soon) that we decided to schedule before pushing these in general availability

but we are all good now , sorry for the delay, enjoy the new servers ;)

Mik

• @mikmak said:

@default said:

yes, we took some time to confirm our testing (and actually found 1 issue so that was a usefull precaution),
    we also had 2 major migration on the lower layers (network+hypervisors) to prepare some new features (coming soon) that we decided to schedule before pushing these in general availability

Mik

Any plans for paypal ever?

• LeviLevi Member

cybertech said: Any plans for paypal ever?

Why PayPal? It's a poison in payment gateway industry. Today you can generate vCards from your phone with 2 button clicks and be safe. PayPal is outdated, expensive and in general - crap for providers. Direct CC processing is way better and more secure.

Thanked by 3rm_ ITLabs ViridWeb
  • @LTniger said:

cybertech said: Any plans for paypal ever?

Why PayPal? It's a poison in payment gateway industry. Today you can generate vCards from your phone with 2 button clicks and be safe. PayPal is outdated, expensive and in general - crap for providers. Direct CC processing is way better and more secure.

PayPal has some buyer protection.

• williewillie Member
    edited June 2019

I don't understand the difference between the DEV and GP instances. They are on the same platform and DEV is just smaller?

GP pricing in the bigger instances would be more attractive if the cpu was dedicated. The 32GB with 8 vcores being just a little bit faster than the 4-vcore 16GB wasn't so great. Is it the case that with the 256GB instance you're really getting the whole box? If yes, that is pretty nice. Brand H doesn't currently have an instance that big ;). But their smaller ones (up to 128GB) with dedicated cores are still less expensive than these non-dedicated ones. And in practice I've gotten good utilization even on the non-dedicated (16GB and 32GB) H instances.

Depending on throttling etc., the small DEV instances do seem pretty nice. I might run some tests on them.

I liked the old offers of hourly bare-metal dedis, except that they were Atoms. If you can do that with Ryzens that will be great.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2019

LTniger said: Why PayPal? It's a poison in payment gateway industry. Today you can generate vCards from your phone with 2 button clicks and be safe. PayPal is outdated, expensive and in general - crap for providers. Direct CC processing is way better and more secure.

This was actually answered in good detail above by @UKCC1, it is because they insist on payment in EURO and people with bank cards that operate under different currencies often have to pay a conversion fee and possibly a service fee for that conversion. This is something PayPal usually handles for you for a much lower rate and usually a single fee. So while PayPal sucks for overhead on the seller side, there are a lot of use cases where for the buyer its much more convenient and even cheaper.

PayPal is like gonads, they are useful for their purpose but no substitute for a brain (using commonsense). Use it where it's applicable, otherwise make the best choice for you. The best combination is to offer both options but push customers to use CC when they can, not just force direct use of CC.

To be honest, the fact they only use CC is one of the main reason I stopped using them, it made it difficult to control and understand the usage, as in I can't prepay and use my balance and then come back and add credit as I need, no, instead it just auto deducts from your card. I have dealt with enough places that have done shady things like actually charging extra or charging you unexpectedly that I HATE to place a credit card on file and much prefer to add credit or pay bills as they are due. My main reasoning doesn't even have to do with conversion rates, though this is something to consider as PayPal was even providing me better conversion rates than my card in some cases.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug said:

LTniger said: Why PayPal? It's a poison in payment gateway industry. Today you can generate vCards from your phone with 2 button clicks and be safe. PayPal is outdated, expensive and in general - crap for providers. Direct CC processing is way better and more secure.

This was actually answered in good detail above by @UKCC1, it is because they insist on payment in EURO and people with bank cards that operate under different currencies often have to pay a conversion fee and possibly a service fee for that conversion. This is something PayPal usually handles for you for a much lower rate and usually a single fee. So while PayPal sucks for overhead on the seller side, there are a lot of use cases where for the buyer its much more convenient and even cheaper.

PayPal is like gonads, they are useful for their purpose but no substitute for a brain (using commonsense). Use it where its applicable, otherwise make the best choice for you. The best combination is to offer both options but push customers to use CC when they can, not just force direct use of CC.

To be honest, the fact they only use CC is one of the main reason I stopped using them, it made it difficult to control and understand the usage, as in I can't prepay and use my balance and then come back and add credit as I need, no, instead it just auto deducts from your card. I have dealt with enough places that have done shady things like actually charging extra or charging you unexpectedly that I HATE to place a credit card on file and much prefer to add credit or pay bills as they are due. My main reasoning doesn't even have to do with conversion rates, though this is something to consider as PayPal was even providing me better conversion rates than my card in some cases.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

My reason too

Cheers!

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited June 2019
    -------------------------------------------------
     nench.sh v2019.03.01 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2019-06-21 09:11:38 UTC

Processor:    AMD EPYC 7281 16-Core Processor
    CPU cores:    1
    Frequency:    2096.056 MHz
    RAM:          993M
    Swap:         -
    Kernel:       Linux 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
    vda   23.3G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        3.231 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        6.785 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        1.430 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 41.0 us / 65.6 us / 5.72 ms / 46.2 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 33.1 k requests in 5.00 s, 8.08 GiB, 6.62 k iops, 1.62 GiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    389.10 MiB/s
        2nd run:    357.63 MiB/s
        3rd run:    378.61 MiB/s
        average:    375.11 MiB/s

No IPv4 connectivity detected

IPv6 speedtests
        your IPv6:    2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx

Leaseweb (NL):        87.95 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   0.00 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      148.30 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         1.54 MiB/s

• mikmakmikmak Member

@cybertech said:

@mikmak said:

@default said:

Mik

yes ;)

Mik

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited June 2019

@mikmak said:

@cybertech said:

@mikmak said:

@default said:

Mik

yes ;)

Mik

Awesome. My lunch funds lie in wait.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited July 2019

@rm_ said:
    You can still lock in START-1-XS for 1.99 EUR in AMS, which is being removed in the new lineup (cheapest will be 2.99 EUR). ACT NOW :D

Just to confirm the START-1-XS (1.99€, AMS or PAR) is still there. Not to be ordered through the website, but available via their scw command line utility. It has the same specs as before (1CPU, 1GB RAM, 25GB SSD) but coming now with AMD EPYC 7281.

Example:

scw login
    scw --region="ams1" create --boot-type=local --commercial-type=START1-XS debian-stretch

(if needed, replace ams1 with par1 for Paris, and debian-stretch with other OS image e.g. ubuntu-bionic)

• Hi
    I just registered to write you thank you !
    I'm enjoying my 2 servers (in Paris and Amsterdam) at 2€/m

Fixing your command:
    scw login
    scw --region="ams1" run--boot-type=local --commercial-type=START1-XS debian-stretch

Thanked by 3Shot2 ITLabs xms
  • And how to use scw command:
    https://www.scaleway.com/en/docs/manage-cloud-servers-with-scaleway-cli/

It's only a .exe file if you are using Windows