Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digitalocean New Plan Pricing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digitalocean New Plan Pricing

danninovdanninov Member
edited January 2018 in General

Finally Digitalocean slash their price to match with Linode/Vultr. Now their lowest plan has 1GB RAM and 25GB SSD.

DO also introduce new plan at $15 with variable core (1-3 cores) and RAM (1-3 GB).

https://blog.digitalocean.com/new-droplet-plans/

Comments

• DO feeling the heat

• caracalcaracal Member
    edited January 2018

Per-Second billing! I can trash instances after 39 seconds now.

Thanked by 2willie sanvit
  • RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR
    edited January 2018

Awesome. Now my student credit will last a little longer ($10 -> $5/mo @ 1GB RAM) :)

YES: You can simply "resize" the droplet, so no data loss involved whatsoever. Good job DO :)

• Finally.

By the way, does anyone really use and prefer per-second billing? What am I missing?

• It can be useful for short lived bursts and jobs if the pricing is right.

• I upgraded from 512MB -> 1GB RAM. Simply only "resize" the droplet.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rm_ said: Still no $2.5 plan!

If they post a $2.50 plan but then later say it's unavailable, @rm_ is going to go completely insane...

• Still no $2.5 plan!

Miami only? That would be interesting.

• bapbap Member

awesome!

• Yeah first thing I thought was "heh no $2.5 plan, they saw when Vultr tried that". I wonder the clock speed of the "optimized" plans and how they compare with OVH's.

• Never understood the appeal with digitalocean when the other 2 competitors like vultr,linode was cheaper. More like they shoved alot of money on marketting and free credits. It's probably cheaper at this point to have the same prices as their competitor while offering more storage.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

@needavps said:
    Never understood the appeal with digitalocean when the other 2 competitors like vultr,linode was cheaper. More like they shoved alot of money on marketting and free credits. It's probably cheaper at this point to have the same prices as their competitor while offering more storage.

DigitalOcean used to be cheaper than Linode when they've launched.

• needavpsneedavps Member
    edited January 2018

@intovps said:

@needavps said:
    Never understood the appeal with digitalocean when the other 2 competitors like vultr,linode was cheaper. More like they shoved alot of money on marketting and free credits. It's probably cheaper at this point to have the same prices as their competitor while offering more storage.

DigitalOcean used to be cheaper than Linode when they've launched.

kinda proved my point. thanks!

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2018

needavps said: Never understood the appeal with digitalocean when the other 2 competitors like vultr,linode was cheaper.

It's only price sensitive people that see it that way. There is more to a good service that the lowest price, plenty of recent threads prove that.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

DigitalOcean is frickin amazing. Sure, Vultr and Linode have their pros and cons too, but for me personally I just go back to DO when I need that type of service. Started working on a project for a client that might grow nicely, I am building the whole thing on DO instead of Vultr or Linode for several reasons and am confident with that choice.

Thanked by 2Lee jar
  • @Lee said:

needavps said: Never understood the appeal with digitalocean when the other 2 competitors like vultr,linode was cheaper.

It's only price sensitive people that see it that way. The is more to a good service that the lowest price, plenty of recent threads prove that.

here you are again replying nonsense. I had linode before digitalocean came to be and saw no need to try digitalocean when I was evaluating alternatives every so often.

• Not everything is a race to the bottom.

If you want the cheapest price out there, then go with VortexNode - oh wait...

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @shovenose said:
    DigitalOcean is frickin amazing. Sure, Vultr and Linode have their pros and cons too, but for me personally I just go back to DO when I need that type of service. Started working on a project for a client that might grow nicely, I am building the whole thing on DO instead of Vultr or Linode for several reasons and am confident with that choice.

Not to say it isn't but the current trend is always through reference and research. Not everyone will try all the competitors if there is enough people will say they all do the same thing (performance,uptime) is same. Obvious people in leb will have many alternatives but than I still know people who use mediatemple and I hate that company.

• What CPU models are they using in most locations in the meantime?

• LeeLee Veteran

intovps said: DigitalOcean used to be cheaper than Linode when they've launched.

Yes, they launched with a cheaper, more competitive product.

needavps said: kinda proved my point. thanks!

DO have not changed their droplet pricing since launch. Lindode, when DO started, was charging $20 for their cheapest droplet, then reduced to $15, then $10 and now $5.

Linode lost their prime spot and had to stop clients leaving because they were not competitive.

How does that prove your point?

needavps said: here you are again replying nonsense. I had linode before digitalocean came to be and saw no need to try digitalocean when I was evaluating alternatives every so often.

Good for you, the world is a bigger place than the goldfish bowl you live in. If you have never tried DO then you are not in a position to comment.

Thanked by 1Aidan
    edited January 2018

@Lee said:

intovps said: DigitalOcean used to be cheaper than Linode when they've launched.

Yes, they launched with a cheaper, more competitive product.

needavps said: kinda proved my point. thanks!

DO have not changed their droplet pricing since launch. Lindode, when DO started, was charging $20 for their cheapest droplet, then reduced to $15, then $10 and now $5.

Linode lost their prime spot and had to stop clients leaving because they were not competitive.

How does that prove your point?

needavps said: here you are again replying nonsense. I had linode before digitalocean came to be and saw no need to try digitalocean when I was evaluating alternatives every so often.

Good for you, the world is a bigger place than the goldfish bowl you live in. If you have never tried DO then you are not in a position to comment.

How absurb are you? You do live in a goldfish bowl because this thread is about DO price decrease. Why can't anyone comment. How childish are you?

• @Amitz said:
    What CPU models are they using in most locations in the meantime?

I spun up one of the new flexible $15 Droplets (2GB RAM & 2 CPU) in NYC3 and got a (2) E5-2695 v4 @ 2.10GHz.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2018

needavps said: How absurb are you? You do live in a goldfish bowl because this thread is about DO price decrease. Why can't anyone comment. How childish are you?

You might step out for a cigarette and come back to compare the tone of your words as opposed to those you're conversing with. With a bit of objectivity, you might see it in a different light.

But anyway:

needavps said: Never understood the appeal with digitalocean

Because you love me and think my beautiful daughters deserve to have the world? Certainly that's one potential reason to use DO :)

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2018

@Amitz said:
    What CPU models are they using in most locations in the meantime?

I've seen A LOT of E5-2650L v3's (1.8GHz)

Thanked by 2Amitz v3ng
  • @jarland said:

needavps said: How absurb are you? You do live in a goldfish bowl because this thread is about DO price decrease. Why can't anyone comment. How childish are you?

You might step out for a cigarette and come back to compare the tone of your words as opposed to those you're conversing with. With a bit of objectivity, you might see it in a different light.

Meh. So i'm less passive agressive than the other guy. At least you are an administrator who can comment about administration right? I'll certainly try DO eventually. Competitive prices allow that.

• LeeLee Veteran

needavps said: because this thread is about DO price decrease

They have not reduced their current pricing, they have increased the resource for the same price.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Do any of the big players have DDoS protection included?

Looks like Vultr offers it for +$10, but don't see any mentioning from Linode or DO. @jarland is that something on the roadmap, even as an add-on feature?

edited January 2018

@Lee said:

needavps said: because this thread is about DO price decrease

They have not reduced their current pricing, they have increased the resource for the same price.

Seriously why do you quoting and replying to me. Do you not read the OP. if they increase the resource than the prices is decreased with the relative value of the competitors. simple concept. @jarland. how is this guy not trolling.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

MasonR said: Do any of the big players have DDoS protection included?

Looks like Vultr offers it for +$10, but don't see any mentioning from Linode or DO. @jarland is that something on the roadmap, even as an add-on feature?

We do have DDOS protection. It's not going to be the thing that tanks that 20Gbit attack against your Minecraft server, but should protect your website from being knocked off by average attacks.

Thanked by 2MasonR marrco