Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digitalocean New Plan Pricing - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digitalocean New Plan Pricing

1234568»

Comments

• Thanks Jarland, there's no hurry. I like this many-droplet idea but I'd have to write and test a bunch of code to orchestrate them before I can use them, which probably won't be very soon due to RL. So right now I'm mostly checking into what's possible.

• I'm having a hard time getting an account set up for the company I work for. We're a large library system in OKC and are planning to switch to DO from MediaTemple. I have a personal account with DO that I recently set up and loved it, moved my personal sites from a shared hosting plan with hostgator that I had the last 10 years and have loved DO so much that I recommended we switch our corporate website and intranet, both running drupal with very large databases and a lot of files. My boss approved it, but now I can't seem to get our company credit card verified.

The credit card was put in by a purchasing clerk in our business office, she came down to my desk and I logged into the DO account that I created for the company and she put the card in. She put her name on the card because her name and our company name is on the credit card. After I did that, I was able to create a Team for our company so that I could have her log in later if she ever needs to update the credit card or so I could add other IT members that can help with server admin stuff.

I am able to purchase the 32GB RAM server at $160/mo. But we are wanting the 48GB server at $250/mo because of the larger storage space were going to need for a new archives website that we are going to be launching later this year with lots of historic audio, video and image files. The 48GB RAM droplet requires extra verification.

They are wanting the driver's license number of our purchasing agent, which she's not willing to do. We have a multi-million dollar budget and she said this is the first time in the 25 years she's worked in the business office this has ever been asked.

The first response on the support ticket said they base ownership of the account by the name on the credit card. We don't want the purchasing clerk from our business office to be the owner, we want our company to be. If she quits or retires or transfers to a non-purchasing position, that would't be ideal for her to be the owner. We want it to be in the company name. I've told them that in my last reply to the ticket and said we can provide any sort of legal notarize documentation regarding our company, but haven't heard a peep now in 3 hours.

We were hoping to have this thing fired up yesterday so we don't have too much billing overlap between our old web host and the new one.

Has anyone else ever dealt with anything like this?

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

@raneman yeah when we verify , it is usually based on the purchaser identity . not sure how DO will proceed in this case

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2018

@raneman It's a sensitive situation because from an objective third party perspective, who you have on file is the only person you can know for sure to be authorized to make changes to an account. Not knowing anything about the internal workings of any other particular company, it may even be true that a company who has service with us also has employees that want access to their account but should not, by their internal structure of delegation/permission, actually have access to it.

Basically to say, it's impossible for someone outside of your company to know and verify the structure of authority within your company, the only thing they can know objectively is that the name they have on file is authorized.

For an example: As an employee of DigitalOcean, I should be denied access to a company bank account if I were to walk into a bank today and request to make any change to it or for assistance in accessing it. I can prove that I work there, but if I need access then someone with access is going to have to come down to the bank, show their ID, and add my name to the account. In a lot of ways, your DO account could be as important to you as that bank account. One mistake on our part could cost you a lot of money, and we value your security highly.

I hope that makes some sense. Anyway, feel free to send me a private message here and I'll be very happy to take over this case for you. All I need is the email on the account or a ticket ID.

Thanked by 1raneman
  • Has anyone else ever dealt with anything like this?

What we did was register the account under the CEO's name, after all - he's the responsible party at the end of the day.

Q: I need to open multiple accounts for business and personal use. How do I do that?

A: Prior to opening a second account please open a ticket with our support team. This will help us quickly verify your new account.

• @jarland said:
    @raneman It's a sensitive situation because from an objective third party perspective, who you have on file is the only person you can know for sure to be authorized to make changes to an account. Not knowing anything about the internal workings of any other particular company, it may even be true that a company who has service with us also has employees that want access to their account but should not, by their internal structure of delegation/permission, actually have access to it.

Basically to say, it's impossible for someone outside of your company to know and verify the structure of authority within your company, the only thing they can know objectively is that the name they have on file is authorized.

For an example: As an employee of DigitalOcean, I should be denied access to a company bank account if I were to walk into a bank today and request to make any change to it or for assistance in accessing it. I can prove that I work there, but if I need access then someone with access is going to have to come down to the bank, show their ID, and add my name to the account. In a lot of ways, your DO account could be as important to you as that bank account. One mistake on our part could cost you a lot of money, and we value your security highly.

I hope that makes some sense. Anyway, feel free to send me a private message here and I'll be very happy to take over this case for you. All I need is the email on the account or a ticket ID.

Thanks, I've sent you a message with all my info.

Thanked by 1jar
  • ranemanraneman Member
    edited January 2018

@Aidan said:

Has anyone else ever dealt with anything like this?

What we did was register the account under the CEO's name, after all - he's the responsible party at the end of the day.

Q: I need to open multiple accounts for business and personal use. How do I do that?

A: Prior to opening a second account please open a ticket with our support team. This will help us quickly verify your new account.

We don't have a CEO since we are a library. We HAD an executive director, but he was fired in August and we are currently in the middle of the search. The issue with the credit card is there are only two or three names that are authorized to use it, all of them work in our Business Office department and are just purchasing agents. They aren't any sort of authoritative positions. Even when the Executive Director or our Deputy Executive Directors make purchases that require the company card, the purchase has to be made through our Business Office by our purchasers. Being an entity that is funded by the tax payers of Oklahoma County, we are very careful about purchasing accountability. But it sure is a headache to get things purchased at times.

Oh, and my personal account is completely separate from the work account I set up. I used my personal email to create my personal DO account, and my work email to set up the one for my company. There wasn't any issues getting the account created, just getting it verified to a point to allow me to purchase the $240/mo package. I can only purchase the packages that are just below the exact tier we want.

Thanked by 2Aidan jar

raneman said: We HAD an executive director, but he was fired in August

How does one get fired as executive director of a library? Throw too many parties with tax dollars or post on a forum during work hours like I'm... I should get back :)

Thanked by 1raneman
  • @jarland said:

How does one get fired as executive director of a library? Throw too many parties with tax dollars or post on a forum during work hours like I'm... I should get back :)

Well, good thing you're not the executive director of a library then.

• @jarland said:

He was horrible. He ran so many good people off who had worked here for 20+ years. It's one of the best places I've ever worked, but that two years he was here was having me thinking about other employment.

Horrible micromanager. I'd get emails at 9:30 or 10pm at night from him asking ridiculous stuff about IT matters, and he was very aggressive in the emails. So I wouldn't sleep much that night wondering what I'm going to have to deal with the next day.

I have to have my notifications turned on my emails because if one of our data closets at one of our 19 libraries spread across the county starts getting hot or power goes out at one of our locations, I get emails from the UPS's and temp sensors and need to be able to dispatch the IT Tech on call or a maintenance tech before much damage is done to the equipment.

I finally said screw it and turned off notifications and just kept my fingers crossed that nothing bad would happen. As bad as it was for me with him here, it was 10 fold for many people in the organization.

He just started as the Library Director for a large library system in Florida. They apparently didn't google him before they hired him, otherwise they'd seen the articles that said he was fired in several Oklahoma publications.

Thanked by 2Aidan jar
  • So, no my next important question. Should I choose one of the New York datacenters or the San Francisco one? I'm in downtown OKC, looks like NY is about 150 miles closer, but is one location newer / better than the other?

@raneman said:
    So, no my next important question. Should I choose one of the New York datacenters or the San Francisco one? I'm in downtown OKC, looks like NY is about 150 miles closer, but is one location newer / better than the other?

I like NYC3 myself. Personal favorite right now. Take that as you will :)

Thanked by 1raneman
  • @raneman said:
    So, no my next important question. Should I choose one of the New York datacenters or the San Francisco one? I'm in downtown OKC, looks like NY is about 150 miles closer, but is one location newer / better than the other?

If you intend on using spaces(s3 compatible storage) then stick to NY3. I agree with @jarland, NY3 is my personal favorite one.

• @raneman said:

Yes, NYC3 is currently my preferred data center as well and I haven’t had any issues there at all. However, speaking of being in the middle of the country, any chance DO creates a location in the Midwest, @jarland? I know many would appreciate the lower latency.

@jlchandler said:

@raneman said:

Yes, NYC3 is currently my preferred data center as well and I haven’t had any issues there at all. However, speaking of being in the middle of the country, any chance DO creates a location in the Midwest, @jarland? I know many would appreciate the lower latency.

I vote Dallas. I may be biased ;)

Thanked by 1jlchandler
  • @jarland said:

@jlchandler said:

@raneman said:

I vote Dallas. I may be biased ;)

Dallas, Kansas City or even Chicago would be great!

Thanked by 1jar
  • While we are dreaming of locations.... Sydney or Melbourne looks good :)
    Think of the beautiful Aussie holiday, and the dozens on Aussies on LET who would love a job at DO ;)

• Anyone else resize they droplets to bigger disk quota plans and not actually get the new bigger disk quotas ?

Resized my old SFO1 2GB 40GB droplet $20/m to new flexible $15/m 2GB 60GB plan but after resize, the disk is still 40GB. Submitted a ticket so waiting on word back from DO support.

Also are DO snapshot/backups still this slow 26GB used out of 40GB took ~21 minutes to complete ! Linode does 48GB snapshot in 1.5-4.5 minutes !

@jarland any plans to improve backup/snapshot speeds ?

• IGN 10/10

• DO spaces derping as usual.

( AMS3 )

@eva2000 said:
    Anyone else resize they droplets to bigger disk quota plans and not actually get the new bigger disk quotas ?

Resized my old SFO1 2GB 40GB droplet $20/m to new flexible $15/m 2GB 60GB plan but after resize, the disk is still 40GB. Submitted a ticket so waiting on word back from DO support.

Apologies for ticket delays, trying to get a fair number of customers sorted and prepared for reboots. Most likely you'll need the recovery ISO so you can boot from that and extend your partition. It sounds like the resize was unable to do so for whatever reason, but should have still resized the virtual disk at least.

Also are DO snapshot/backups still this slow 26GB used out of 40GB took ~21 minutes to complete ! Linode does 48GB snapshot in 1.5-4.5 minutes !

I think this may have to do with the same reason for the ticket delay, NAS boxes being hit pretty heavy with snapshots taken for good measure. Though I don't know that I've routinely seen our snapshots move as fast as you're proposing there. Could be that they function differently.

@jarland any plans to improve backup/snapshot speeds ?

Surely, but one thing we did on this note not too terribly long ago (or maybe it was, I apparently have no understanding of time) was to utilize overlays so that the snapshot did not interfere with the droplet continuing to function during the snapshot, as well as increasing the consistency of the data in the snapshot. In this way it is expected that taking a little longer may not impact you.

@Roxanne said:
    DO spaces derping as usual.

( AMS3 )

Yayyyy

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited January 2018

jarland said: Apologies for ticket delays, trying to get a fair number of customers sorted and prepared for reboots. Most likely you'll need the recovery ISO so you can boot from that and extend your partition. It sounds like the resize was unable to do so for whatever reason, but should have still resized the virtual disk at least.

ah meltdown/spectre !!! yeah still waiting on ticket reply but i'm off to bed anyway

jarland said: Though I don't know that I've routinely seen our snapshots move as fast as you're proposing there. Could be that they function differently.

yeah no idea how linode does snapshots but I routinely see reported speeds of between 150-200MB/s i.e. 800GB data snapshot takes around 70-80 minutes to complete.

any DO snapshot/backup speed improvements from what you have now would be very much welcomed !

Thanked by 1jar
  • XeiXei Member
    edited February 2018

@jarland

While doing repeated performance benchmarks I found droplets are no longer full duplex gbit. Is that correct or am I mistaken?

@Xei said:
    @jarland

While doing repeated performance benchmarks I found droplets are no longer full duplex gbit. Is that correct or am I mistaken?

To the best of my knowledge everything should be 40G now. I say "to the best of my knowledge" because I can't honestly recall if there is still a subset of a region holding out on this, could very well be.

Thanked by 1Xei
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

jarland said: To the best of my knowledge everything should be 40G now. I say "to the best of my knowledge" because I can't honestly recall if there is still a subset of a region holding out on this, could very well be.

i do not think it will be in India :D we have hard time getting 100 mbps in DC even

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited February 2018

@jarland said:
    If you're unaware, as your reply to me implies to me that you might be, I'm a team lead for our support team at DigitalOcean...

Knew you were with DO, but not your job description, so thanks for this tidbit. Too bad I'd forgotten about you when DO blocked port 25 of my 3 year old account, out of the blue with no notification whatsoever, never mind justification! Your (support) guy elevated the issue to DO's "Security Department". When I got their email in due course, asking me to provide everything except my dick size, again with no explanation or justification, I elected to ignore them and move my business elsewhere.

Remember, your money at DO also helps fund a wealth of tutorials that admins all over the world use to make their lives a little easier. There's a lot more to say about a company than X resources for Y dollars...

Couldn't agree more. My sentiments exactly. Love and appreciate all those DO tuts! This is why I'd kept running my little email server at DO, as opposed to moving it to my SMTP enabled Vultr account's $2.50 droplet. I guess I owe your "Security" morons a vote of thanks for pushing me to save a few bucks monthly ;)

My day job is helping open or reinstate company bank accounts in HK, amongst other things. This means I deal with banks' security and compliance departments on a daily basis. My clients need a bank account to do business and pay well for my, well, trouble. It's a complicated, secretive world, but while a challenge to work with, the people staffing bank security/compliance are incredibly well paid and highly intelligent. Judging from the email I received from DO's "Security Department", DO needs to really up the ante there and pay much better to attract some talent. Might be a good idea to tone down their arrogance quotient while at it. What you have now is not worth the effort to reply to... IMO... YMMV.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited February 2018

aglodek said: Judging from the email I received from DO's "Security Department", DO needs to really up the ante there and pay much better to attract some talent. Might be a good idea to tone down their arrogance quotient while at it. What you have now is not worth the effort to reply to... IMO... YMMV.

Sorry you had to go through that. We're not perfect and we've been through some growing pains. I know our trajectory though and I'm really excited about the future. Sometimes today isn't what you want it to be, so that tomorrow can be. There's a lot packed into that sentence, of course.

Never hesitate to reach out. I'm not perfect either, I make mistakes, but I take the weight of DO on my shoulders. It's my responsibility to see to it that we do right by others. I'll have to be fired to not feel that way ;)

Thanked by 2Kris aglodek