Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digitalocean New Plan Pricing - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digitalocean New Plan Pricing

Comments

• I am surprised.

• @jarland said:

needavps said: Is this a price decrease. You tell us and @lee ! thanks :D

Rather than settle a dispute about the proper use of a particular word, I'd rather ask you if there's any confusion over the changes today themselves. If you can see the prices clearly and understand what you are getting and how much you're paying, that's pretty much the end of the story for me. I'm not interested in whether it's an increase or decrease, so much as whether it meets the continued needs of my customers :)

Well, I'm an economist, and I'm happy to settle the dispute: it's a price decrease. ;)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Anyone care to do benchmark comparing with vultr / linode?

• DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2018

The only surprise is that it took them this long to catch up! I'm glad they did though (and then some with the interesting $15 plans) because price being equal I'd generally pick DO over Linode or Vultr.

• @jarland any chance you guys are planning on expanding to AU any time soon?
    Vultr is the only 'droplet' host with AU locations.

• Hey @jarland

I have student credit from github but I couldn't use it since my CC was rejected by your billing system.
    is there a way to verify my account? it's a Visa Electron card issued by Libyan bank. (physical not virtual and can use it with ATMs)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@bohdans said:
    @jarland any chance you guys are planning on expanding to AU any time soon?
    Vultr is the only 'droplet' host with AU locations.

I think there's a lot to be gained by such an expansion, and I'd certainly like to see us do it, but I don't have any news to share on that.

@ikkoup said:
    Hey @jarland

I have student credit from github but I couldn't use it since my CC was rejected by your billing system.
    is there a way to verify my account? it's a Visa Electron card issued by Libyan bank. (physical not virtual and can use it with ATMs)

Yeah DM me your account email and I'll get it handled when I wake, as I'm about to let my head hit the pillow.

• @Lee said:

needavps said: Never understood the appeal with digitalocean when the other 2 competitors like vultr,linode was cheaper.

It's only price sensitive people that see it that way. There is more to a good service that the lowest price, plenty of recent threads prove that.

You're right, but DO was and is neither the cheapest nor the best hourly-billed provider — my pet peeve is of course their utterly broken IPv6 (more broken than online.net, if that's even possible), but there's a bunch of other customer suggestions that DO just keeps postponing again and again for years.
    Really, who do they think they're kidding? When you can't muster more than a copy-pasted "It's on our roadmap" once per year, it's clear you don't give a rat's arse about your customers' requirements as long as that sweet money keeps pouring in.
    This is why I recommend against DO, Bitbucket, the N26 bank and probably a bunch more: it's ok to take time to consider, implement, or even decline a feature, but it's unacceptable to take your customers for idiots.

• XeiXei Member

@Dylan said:
    The only surprise is that it took them this long to catch up! I'm glad they did though (and then some with the interesting $15 plans) because price being equal I'd generally pick DO over Linode or Vultr.

Now cost to performance DO is competitive with the other big guys (Linode, Vultr). What really sets them apart is no bandwidth overages. Props to DO for offering equivalent specifications. I would go with Vultr in large part for that reason before, only thing Vultr has over DO now is the 10gbit port.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Linode and DigitalOcean booth have 40gbit

• XeiXei Member
    edited January 2018

@v3ng said:

Vultr VPS are deployed 10gbit port, DO 1gbit. Not sure about Linode though. Not talking about the host node, I mean the VPS has speed of 10gbit on Vultr, DO has speed of 1gbit.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

With my Linode Frankfurt I often have speeds of around 2-3 gbit.
    Afaik also DO has more than 1gbit.

• @Xei said:

@v3ng said:

Vultr VPS are deployed 10gbit port, DO 1gbit. Not sure about Linode though. Not talking about the host node, I mean the VPS has speed of 10gbit on Vultr, DO has speed of 1gbit.

DO is 2gbit per droplet or at least thats what their Jan 17 update said. more than enough for me tbh

• XeiXei Member

@elofty said:

@Xei said:

@v3ng said:

DO is 2gbit per droplet or at least thats what their Jan 17 update said. more than enough for me tbh

You realize today is Jan 17th not everyone would know. You have a link?

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

Would be nice to see DO expanding in more locations.

• @Xei said:

@elofty said:

@Xei said:

@v3ng said:

You realize today is Jan 17th not everyone would know. You have a link?

No I mean Jan 2017 12 months ago.

• Some arguments earlier on in the thread as to whether this is a price decrease or a spec boost... Easily solved :D Thanks Physics!

Thanked by 2MasonR Aidan
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2018

szarka said: Well, I'm an economist, and I'm happy to settle the dispute: it's a price decrease. ;)

Ok, so you will understand this then.

Yesterday I was on a plan where I paid $5 for 512MB of ram, today I pay $5 for 1GB of ram.

There is no price decrease, however, the value of what I receive for my $5 has changed, the provider is giving more value for the same price.

Remember that the provider is increasing the value of all plans. Not the price (other than introducing new plans).

If I were on the $10 plan yesterday getting 1GB ram, today I am still paying $10 but get 2GB ram. However, I could now change to the $5 plan and stick with 1GB ram. My price has decreased however the actual value remains the same as I had yesterday.

Just saying.

• Is this benchmark result normal for DO? https://serverscope.io/trials/N0E1

It seems underwhelming...

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

You can see it both ways, a price decrease (because you can downgrade to have the same resources) or you can take the additional resource at the same price.

I am not sure if the definition is important, the sure thing is that it is good for the customers.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Looks like those new $5 droplets are a little too popular...

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Rodney said:

Looks like those new $5 droplets are a little too popular...

SCAM! Ban @jarland for bait & switch.

• LeeLee Veteran

There are going to be a lot of people downgrading plans right now.

• DO is on my list of services to one day try. I have used their documentation from time to time :)

Used to use Slicehost before swapping to Linode, and then a dedi with Online.net. Haven't really had an excuse yet to give them a try.

• @Lee said:

jarland said: you can't tell me that smile doesn't melt your heart:

Have started on your speech for the first boyfriend to come around. Best you start early to perfect it and also get your pitch and tone just right. Work on the deranged stare as well.

Reminds me of:

• @tarasis said:
    DO is on my list of services to one day try. I have used their documentation from time to time :)

Used to use Slicehost before swapping to Linode, and then a dedi with Online.net. Haven't really had an excuse yet to give them a try.

Well recommended, I don't go anywhere else for production machines these days.

Thanked by 1tarasis
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Rodney said:

Sorry about that. Heather just put up a status page for us: http://status.digitalocean.com/incidents/hchmsf1fc20q

Thanked by 1szarka
  • Almost half of their previous prices, new prices are fair to stay in the market. :)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@jarland said:

@Rodney said:

Sorry about that. Heather just put up a status page for us: http://status.digitalocean.com/incidents/hchmsf1fc20q

Let’s trigger @rm_