Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digitalocean New Plan Pricing - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digitalocean New Plan Pricing

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2018

@eva2000 said:

jarland said: You can't actually charge fractions of a cent though so that's kind of the thought process there as I understand it. It's either rounded to that or every droplet is free for X hours (with how we currently calculate), which kind of adds a new abuse angle or the removal of further function on accounts for abuse prevention. I get the annoyance though, I would like to see a better balance to this as well.

maybe tally the differences for end of month billing adjustments ?

so if person uses droplet for 1hr per day for 30 days

• expected billing = 30x 0.007 = 0.21
    • actual billing = 30x 0.01 = 0.30
    • end of month adjustment difference = 0.21 - 0.30 = -0.09

Yeah, certainly not impossible, just a bit more work on the backend logic than might be assumed in this particular case. Good things coming on this front though, not using any excuses, just priorities and dev time :)

(Take my words with a grain of salt in that I'm not involved in that kind of development, nor technically able to make promises for anyone who is, but you've seen that we're working hard on improvements lately and as noted in the pricing blog post, billing related improvements are on the list)

• Someone on Twitter did some tests on the new offerings and compared them.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@partymonger said:
    Someone on Twitter did some tests on the new offerings and compared them.

And it seems like @vmhaus won the battle

• LeeLee Veteran

FAT32 said: And it seems like @vmhaus won the battle

Based on time to compile PHP at a single point in time. I guess so.

• @Lee said:

Yep

• WSSWSS Member

@partymonger said:

@Lee said:

Yep

This really is an odd metric to use.. @angstrom

• @WSS said:

@partymonger said:

@Lee said:

Yep

Honestly, I couldn't figure out what those guys were talking about!

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2018

WSS said: This really is an odd metric to use.. @angstrom

Not to the person carrying out the tests I guess. What else would he in particular use to carry out a test. His version of the usual LET speed test that is as irrelevant.

But still, even Rasmus must realise it's hardly a task you are going to carry out so often that it will impact a PHP application. I will put it down to he was bored and wanted something to do...

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited January 2018

@Lee said:

WSS said: This really is an odd metric to use.. @angstrom

Not to the person carrying out the tests I guess. What else would he in particular use to carry out a test. His version of the usual LET speed test that is as irrelevant.

But still, even Rasmus must realise it's hardly a task you are going to carry out so often that it will impact a PHP application. I will put it down to he was bored and wanted something to do...

As a test, I suggest trying to compile gcc49 instead. :-)

• Lee said: But still, even Rasmus must realise it's hardly a task you are going to carry out so often that it will impact a PHP application. I will put it down to he was bored and wanted something to do...

No compilation speed matters if you do compile stuff frequently. Centmin Mod compiles Nginx and PHP-FPM to leverage better performance via compile flags/choice of compilers and via Profile Guided Optimisations in PHP 7. So you generally want servers that can compile faster to obtain those faster built binaries https://community.centminmod.com/threads/how-to-boost-centmin-mod-lemp-stack-performance.13776/ ^_^

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited January 2018

@WSS said:
    Wow. Flashbacks to PGCC.

though these days AMD EPYC is in the running too

Hence, why my Centmin Mod has support for GCC 4.8, 5.3, 6.3, 7.2, 8.0 and Clang 3.4/4/5 and 6 so you can pick and choose a pairing with particular cpu the server has :)

• idrasidras Member
    edited January 2018

there are many user use DO github coupon to get $50 credit and create many VPS for mining

• WSSWSS Member

@idras said:
    there are many user use DO github coupon to get $50 credit and create many VPS for mining

Burn forever in a fire of devilsemen.

edited January 2018

@idras said:

Will neither confirm nor deny.

But can confirm that if true... will deny something :)

• If the competition continues, DO will enter Low End Market.

• @WSS said:

@partymonger said:

@Lee said:

Yep

Probably a bad way to compare, but provides some amount of comparison, none the less.

• Interesting to see how cloudways dealt with the DO changes. When they started, they offered the cheapest droplet for $5. They bumped this to $7 last year I believe. I just got an email where they say they are "pleased to announce that we have passed on the savings to you."

They now charge $10 (was $7) for the cheapest $5 droplet and $22 (was $17) for the $10 droplet. Raise prices if you want, but don't try to pass it off as a price drop, asshats.

• I think this market has just been disrupted by Hetzner.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@willie not so sure there. Apart from being a little cheaper why would DigitalOcean feel pressure from a low price OpenVZ offer with less features?

Maybe some migration from the LEB market, but I doubt that's a big part of DigitalOceans market anyway.

• SplitIce said: Apart from being a little cheaper why would DigitalOcean feel pressure from a low price OpenVZ offer with less features?

What?

• LeeLee Veteran

SplitIce said: OpenVZ

Where did you get OpenVZ from?

• Hetzner's cloud range is KVM, no idea why anyone would think it's OpenVZ.

• LeeLee Veteran

SplitIce said: Apart from being a little cheaper

Each offer has their own benefits, I won't be leaving DO for Hetzner but I will be leaving a few others in the LET market for sure.

Remember also that for that little cheaper you get 20TB traffic alone compared to 1TB with DO at the lowest point. Twice the ram and so on.

Now for some things, I will stick with DO and pay a bit more for less resource however you can't dismiss the full offering from Hetzner as 'a little cheaper'.

• SplitIce said: @willie not so sure there. Apart from being a little cheaper why would DigitalOcean feel pressure from a low price OpenVZ offer with less features?

1) it's KVM;

2) it's not "a little" cheaper, it's more like 4x cheaper comparing straight across.

edited January 2018

Chasing the lowest cost is something that some people do, it's not a bad thing or something to be thought less of, but it's still not something everyone does :)

Xvmlabs, the original market shakeup, everyone over $2/year is overpriced. Always has been, always will be cheaper options than everyone but the provider at the absolute bottom of the cost chain.

• @jarland said:
    Chasing the lowest cost is something that some people do, it's not a bad thing or something to be thought less of, but it's still not something everyone does :)

Xvmlabs, the original market shakeup, everyone over $2/year is overpriced.

comforting words only among competitors ;P

If you say so :)

• jarland said:

In fact, a lot of DO users are doing precisely that, using DO to escape the high cost of AWS. They are not cost insensitive. So I think DO should take this development seriously.

• LeeLee Veteran

willie said: In fact, a lot of DO users are doing precisely that, using DO to escape the high cost of AWS.

Actually, a lot also moved from Linode to DO for the price benefit when their cheapest price point was $20. Getting a Droplet for $5 and SSD was a no-brainer for many.

Thanked by 1MikePT