Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is OVH production ready?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is OVH production ready?

So I am not talking about kimisurf or soyoustart but the actual OVH servers. I was at a presentation last week with nothing to do with OVH and the company uses them with 5000+ euro a month for QA and Production and have never seen problems.

So we have dipped our toes in the OVH arena and got a FR and BHX host for QA and demo sites. The boss likes the prices but as the ops manager want to know people feeling about production stuff, would you host stuff with them? If not who you would host with in north America?

I know I have posted before and people said softlayer but looking for a price point in the middle if it exists?

Comments

• OVH is a budget provider so don't expect to get more than that.

• Love me some OVH :) Would definitely trust them with production stuff. I just picked up a server from their main OVH-branded lineup and am grabbing another.

Whether or not they'll work for you completely depends on who you're trying to reach and what you're hosting. Definitely higher quality networks, etc - but comparing specs + network to price, hard to beat OVH on higher end gear.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

zafouhar said: OVH is a budget provider so don't expect to get more than that.

This.

I wouldn't ever host any production stuff with OVH, some do...

• @Nyr said:

Me neither, for me OVH is much worse than some other budget providers, but this is just my opinion.

Thanked by 1Alt
  • The last company I worked for used the OVH Private Cloud service for our entire infrastructure (with daily backups offsite). We had no issues at all other than slow support during the first couple years when OVH.ca was new - their Canadian staff is not as knowledgable as their France team.

I'm no longer working for the same company but I heard from my previous boss that they did experience downtime for that recent cable cut issue.

• They are generally very reliable and well suited to operate services in production. Most negative experiences with OVH seem to relate to their "poor" support who, generally expect you to know what you're doing, and take care of most of the heavy lifting. In my experience the staff have been knowledgeable, but operate in a limited role compared to a "managed" service. For somebody comfortable managing their own systems, OVH is a great deal. Personally, I've been very happy with their services both in my day job and for some personal projects.

Thanked by 1Gatto
  • @Nyr said:

@zafouhar said:
    Me neither, for me OVH is much worse than some other budget providers, but this is just my opinion.

What are you guys basing your opinions off of? Experience with budget lineup stuff like KS/SYS? (genuinely curious)

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • this thread title sounds defamatory....

• I use them for production, haven't had much (any) problems, but then again I'm not a very successful man so there's that

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I use OVH for production, for sure. And I do love OVH products.

• iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited March 2016

Peering leaves something to be desired. Everything else is tops. People complaining about support with OVH are mad that their $2 Kimsufi HDD isn't replaced with DEFCON 5 urgency. We've had various boxes with them and will most likely be spinning up a medium sized spark cluster soon.

Thanked by 2Dylan MikePT
  • ehabehab Member
    edited March 2016
    • wasn't ovh at top in previous poll? or was it online.net
    • ovh is not a small team at all, even if support is not in favour of all but its a company
    • i didn't see any beat their dedicated prices in EU
    • i can't imagine the word deadpool to be near their name
    • as of production quality, what is production quality? are we looking for highest quality in LET, are we looking for the best offers ever.

redundancy is key, if one goes down the other should be up substituting.. my eggs are never in one bag.

Thanked by 2doghouch Rolter
  • lazytlazyt Member

Quite a few hosts use them for production.

• It won't be a single site or single provider, we run Azure in EU but we have predictable workloads hence looking at dedi options

• @mikeyur said:
    What are you guys basing your opinions off of? Experience with budget lineup stuff like KS/SYS? (genuinely curious)

No I had three normal OVH servers from https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/ - not sure if i'm a unique case but the hardware and network was worse than most of the budget providers advertising at LET.

Thanked by 2mike0000 Alt
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

mikeyur said: What are you guys basing your opinions off of? Experience with budget lineup stuff like KS/SYS? (genuinely curious)

I had been a customer since 2008. Over the years I have used from them:

• Domain registration
    • Virtualization (both budget and professional lines)
    • Budget dedicated servers (KS)
    • Dedicated servers from the old OVH brand (when they only had KS and OVH)

Services generally weren't bad overall, but there were some unacceptable problems over the years and I don't want to risk the trouble any longer. Examples of what I experienced included: problems with routing, one server suspended for a single DMCA, billing issues, bad support, asking for snail mail to be sent for some arrangements...

Thanked by 1mike0000
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@ollietrex said:
    It won't be a single site or single provider, we run Azure in EU but we have predictable workloads hence looking at dedi options

I have managed a company with more than 100 servers being migrated to Azure. I did benchmark it, and I must say that Azure's performance is shit, unless you're paying them a bunch of money. Stills shit, though.

• ollietrexollietrex Member
    edited March 2016

Very much in agreement, Azure stays up (100% for us so far) and trundles along but it is slow. Hence looking at options for other markets.

• OVH supports its network don't expect much help if its not concerning that.

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited March 2016

OVH might suspend or terminate ALL your servers just because of spam/hack issues with a single server. Not my own experience, but I've read multiple horror stories before on WHT.

• I had 14 hours downtime with them when they replaced a failed disk in RAID5 and also disconnected SATA cable from proper drive. Since this was a 4-drive server I've ended with 2 working disks, one blank and one disconnected. The support told me the drive they disconnected probably failed and want to replace it too (I've checked SMART the previous day and it was perfectly fine). Finally after 14 hours the've connected the drive again and I was able to resync. Horrible support. No more OVH !

Thanked by 1Alt
  • With a good setup (redundancy, above all) is production ready, no doubt.
    BTW: OVH support is getting better, lately.

• blackblack Member

Redundancy can also be built in the software level. If a node / cluster goes down, traffic should be redirected to another node / cluster. Never put your eggs in one basket. If you don't do that with software, why do it with hardware?

• No, but they do like to play great jokes on customers!

Thanked by 1MacPac
  • nepsneps Member

Depends on what you define as "production ready" which, while lots of varying opinions differ, mostly boils down to "what the client wants." By that definition, OVH is fine for a lot of projects. My only sadface is that routing is pretty bad.

ollietrex said: I know I have posted before and people said softlayer but looking for a price point in the middle if it exists?

An area between OVH and Softlayer pricing definitely exists. Its population is the size of a small country.

• I've got a server with them since June 2015, no issues here, but it's just shared hosting and mail. No abuse issues.

I had a double payment go through (1st attempt said error, try again and 2nd went through) and support said they couldn't refund it. I called and in less than 10 minutes, phone support moved my ticket over to have it fixed with my explanation which was no different than the support ticket. I found it weird about the two different responses you get via support ticket and phone support.

• edanedan Member
    edited March 2016

howardsl2 said: OVH might suspend or terminate ALL your servers just because of spam/hack issues with a single server. Not my own experience, but I've read multiple horror stories before on WHT.

That's old stories.

I have around 10 IP blocked so far (on SYS) because of the user send email spam (already cleaned up) and they only block you to get more IPs (seems current limit are 10 IPs in backlist). And if its email spam they already block it on network level automatically (current situation) so even though the user send email spam the effect is very minimal and to clean it is very fast (sometimes under 5 minutes). They point it using this http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

Thanked by 2howardsl2 dgprasetya
  • We have a few servers in their Canadian DC and have no problems with them - though I think they are the slightly newer hardware given the specs we have. Only pain point is the delivery time for things that really should be automated (IP addresses, VPS, etc).

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

For the folks saying it's a budget provider, their hardware is quite good/premium, just their support is utterly trash/budget. Their intervention team for hardware failures is quite fast/efficient as well. So basically if you don't need their support, like ever, you'll be just fine, and yes I believe it's production ready.

Needless to say, that no production environment should ever exist without off-site regular backups.

• NeganNegan Member

Is anything production ready? I've seen as many outages in the $5 range as I have the $1000 range. Shit happens, networks go down, never put all of your eggs in one basket.