Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is OVH production ready? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is OVH production ready?

Comments

• @BlazingServers said:
    Which SyS server provides ECC RAM?

they used to show it but they have hidden it in their source code:

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

century1stop said: this thread title sounds defamatory....

Opinions are not defamatory.

I think people who buy General Motors products are insane and GM products are crap. There's no lawsuit potential in that sentence.

agonyzt said: Is the 3rd largest hosting company in the world production ready? Hum...

Just because they're big doesn't mean they're fit for all purposes. McDonald's is the largest restaurant chain in the world, but it doesn't mean they're suitable for all meals.

"Production" is not universally defined. You have specify what you expect and see if OVH fits your needs.

Would I run a seedbox on OVH? Sure.

Would I run something I care about on OVH? Hell no...but then, quick response and quality of response are important to me, and OVH does not enjoy a good reputation in that regard. I've never used them (directly) so I go on reputation.

Would I run production for my employer on OVH? Career suicide, so no.

• HeKazHeKaz Member

The problem with OVH is not OVH, it's all the people thinking that they offer managed hosting for some reason.

• I don't see anything wrong with OVH as they provide IPMI/KVM access for you to resolve your issue. Other than that, the fiber cut was out of everybody's control.

Let's compare it to the LET provider who packed up my E3 server from Chicago and moved it to LA after making a Chicago offer where the hard drive got damaged which caused data loss. I don't see OVH making "snatch and grabs" in the middle of the night like that.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@doughmanes said:
    I don't see anything wrong with OVH as they provide IPMI/KVM access for you to resolve your issue. Other than that, the fiber cut was out of everybody's control.

Let's compare it to the LET provider who packed up my E3 server from Chicago and moved it to LA after making a Chicago offer where the hard drive got damaged which caused data loss. I don't see OVH making "snatch and grabs" in the middle of the night like that.

To also be fair their IPMI access is very bad for the new dedi range. Basically they give you a Java console and that's it. No access to a real IPMI system.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @jarland said:
    To also be fair their IPMI access is very bad for the new dedi range. Basically they give you a Java console and that's it. No access to a real IPMI system.

Does the java console at least have a remote iso / boot option?

• FuslFusl Member

hostingwizard_net said: The key point is: unsold electricity is lost.

It is not. You use it to get water up in a lake to use in a power plant later for peak load that nuclear or other cannot provide. This is very common in western europe: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speicherkraftwerk&edit-text=&act=url

• @Fusl said:
    It is not. You use it to get water up in a lake to use in a power plant later for peak load that nuclear or other cannot provide. This is very common in western europe: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speicherkraftwerk&edit-text=&act=url

They is not a unlimited amount of storage.

• FuslFusl Member
    edited March 2016

They never asked about unlimited anywhere, just stated it is lost which is not true. A true water pump plant is also only limited by available space.

• many people had problems with them, including myself then the answer is no they are not good for production but they might be good for seedboxes.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ManofServer said:
    Does the java console at least have a remote iso / boot option?

Nope :(

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2016

Sure they can be production ready. From the hosting-gooroos here, what are they missing, other than quick support?

If any plan is built for resilience, there'd be a fallback on a totally separate provider anyway, surely... which of course is still subject to any of the permutation of cluster**** that OVH is subject to.

As an aside, anyone here spend 5K a month with OVH? Perhaps, money talks like with many other companies and it gets you preferred treatment or perhaps a point of contact in the company.

• frzfrz Member

Horrible support.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited March 2016

Do ovh use hp/dell/supermicro?

I've read that HP ipmi/ilo has that remote-mount ISO feature; that is a godsend for those stuck on 1mbps uplinks.

• @vimalware said:
    Do ovh use hp/dell/supermicro?

I've read that HP ipmi/ilo has that remote mount iso featur; that is a godsend for those stuck on 1mbps uplinks.

As far as I know, they use custom chassis etc...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @ricardo said:
    As an aside, anyone here spend 5K a month with OVH? Perhaps, money talks like with many other companies and it gets you preferred treatment or perhaps a point of contact in the company.

My employer is spending around this amount (more or less), and we have the VIP support (which means that we can call them 24/7).

We've always been happy with the hardware OVH provides, however I have serious concerns about their ability to run their network. They believed to have adequate filtering for BGP leaks when they didn't, when routers crash they manage to restart them with wrong or outdated configurations, etc.

We will probably stay with OVH because the value-for-money they provide is very good. Their shortcomings are managed as a business risk, exactly as it should be for any other supplier.

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@HeKaz said:
    The problem with OVH is not OVH, it's all the people thinking that they offer managed hosting for some reason.

Some people expecting even for $15 per year fully proactive service. The OVH is ready for production if you do have plenty system administration experience but without it don't rely on the OVH as it's unmanaged service provider.

I can say exactly the same about BT - number one Internet provider in UK, they do charge extra money for investigate the issue and if the fault at your end - computer or tablet.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

How do people feel now about OVH being suitable for production?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Holy Nerco Mamma.

• Been very happy running production on OVH.

• I have used OVH in the past for lower-end production stuff, but that is about it.

• @experttechit said:

Not sure if i feel happy interlaced with feelings of sadness or sad with feelings of happiness.
    All i can say for sure is that i feel angry, filled with mad rage of insanity, which twists and inverts my mental fabric from time to tiem. Thus in all that horror i search for goodness and niceness.
    Also sometimes my hip joint gets out of it's socket, but enough about me, how are you? How do you feel?

Thanked by 2eol datanoise
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@experttechit said:

The hole discussion is bullshit, just stop it.
    Why do you even grab up that shit, you should be ashamed.

OVH takes hardware, puts it together, calls it server, plugs it into network & power, how the fuck is that not production ready?

Thanked by 2Letzien datanoise
  • It is. I'm using it for production, not even a single issue so far.

• I’m using it as a potato, I plan on eating it soon.

• Server itself is good and stable, but support... meh

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Who needs support when everything is cheap, and it works?

• @muffin said:
    I’m using it as a potato, I plan on eating it soon.

You are a wise person, @muffin.
    Don't forget to cherish your potatoe for it's sacrifice, becoming a food, providing you life.

Thanked by 2eol dahartigan
  • @Janevski said:

@muffin said:

Don't forget to cherish your potatoe for it's sacrifice, becoming a food, providing you life.

Yes, I like vegetables

Thanked by 2eol dahartigan
  • @muffin said:

@Janevski said:

@muffin said:

Yes, I like vegetables

Let there be no discrimination in this world, all vegetables are just various sorts of potatoes, all birds are just various sorts of chickens and the rest is just various sorts of 'other'.