Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is OVH production ready? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is OVH production ready?

Comments

• GulfGulf Member

People want budget prices, top support and outstanding reliability.
    OVH has budget prices, but do they generate money from the air?
    I think they provide services at the lowest possible prices making it unprofitable for them.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2016

Gulf said: but do they generate money from the air?

Yes, actually. It's called government grants and debt. They're building the next thing that's "too big to fail" ;)

Disclaimer: I have no facts to back up what I just said.

• GulfGulf Member

"too big to fail" like burst.net

Thanked by 1jar
  • pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited March 2016

I prefer OVH hardware over many other dedicated server providers but I hate their bug infested control panels. Looks like they hire only dirt cheap hackers to program the software and don't spend a penny on QA.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • FalzoFalzo Member

LET is definitely the place someone should ask this vague question.

I'd say it always depends on what you are expecting for the money you are willing to spend. there is no global yes or no for sure.

personally I go with @MrGeneral:

I use OVH for production, for sure. And I do love OVH products.

but that is only under the horizon of my own expectations, which are not exactly "pay less than $7 for full managed high availability instant automatic setup free failover never going down blabla"

• I would say there higher cost hardware IS, their vRack IS NOT. There network depending on which rack you end up in again is or is not.

The core they offer is good, however there playing mega catch up to add internal capacity within their DC's. Currently is a bit of pot luck if you end up in a good rack.

• edited March 2016

jarland said: Disclaimer: I have no facts to back up what I just said.

Exactly. Do your homework.

jarland said: Yes, actually. It's called government grants and debt. They're building the next thing that's "too big to fail" ;)

OVH never got any government grant and has no debt.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2016

jarland said: They're building the next thing that's "too big to fail" ;)

It's called government grants and debt. This is a common practice to stabilize a fast growing company. Didn't DO follow the same practice with huge funds and tons of free services to all of new clients for a long period of time?

• hostingwizard_net said: Do your homework.

Yes. You should do your homework. Banks are funding (lending) OVH for every expansion and French government subsidizes electrical costs to the big French players (not only companies in hosting industry) because of the nuclear power plants.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • GulfGulf Member
    edited March 2016

I had to switch to online.net because SYS does not provide ECC memory and flagship OVH range is too powerfull for my needs. If OVH introduces ~45$ ssd servers with ECC, I will definitely switch back for production.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, at my side Yes. My Dedicated Atom in Gravelines (old 2014 Offer) is solid.

But we had issues with there VPS, the Cluster where its running on fucked up once at least.

• @Gulf I'm well aware of this.

@jvnadr Lending is not funding. Every (big) company, even Google, has loans because they are usual financial instruments. It doesn't mean debt. The fact that the cost of electricity is low in France and in Canada is not related to OVH.

• hostingwizard_net said: Lending is not funding. Every (big) company, even Google, has loans because they are usual financial instruments. It doesn't mean debt. The fact that the cost of electricity is low in France and in Canada is not related to OVH.

For OVH is funding and lending. There are loans from Banks for their daily capital needs and there are huge funds from funding trusts (Eu and US companies) that exceeds 500 million euros for the last 6 years.
    And lowering electricity costs for big companies (not for households) is a policy France follows to give a boost to the companies that are being taxed in the country.

• if this sentence is still true ("The main advantage of the operation is to insure the independence of the group and keep its 100% familial stock ownership."), then it's not funding (strictly speaking).

French electricy cost policy is quite complicated, due to some old choices/mistakes resulting in a too high production (which can not be easily reduced because of its nuclear nature). But it is certainly not here to boost companies. The key point is: unsold electricity is lost.

• tommytommy Member

Yes, if not lunanode has been on deadpool.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@tommy said:
    Yes, if not lunanode has been on deadpool.

you should have asked something like 'is lunanode production ready' on a separate thread beforehand. the outcome would probably had been interesting ;-)

Thanked by 1tommy
  • agonyztagonyzt Member
    edited March 2016

Is the 3rd largest hosting company in the world production ready? Hum...

According to Netcraft, Amazon > Digital Ocean > OVH. I don't see any of these 3 disappearing tomorrow morning. Are they production ready? Definitely. All companies have pros and cons, just pick whatever works for you.

OVH Canada has proven to be very reliable, minus that major fiber cut a few months ago. Contrary to most companies who would just fix the problem until it happens again, they added redundant fibers from a different direction on top of it so it doesn't happen again. That's what production ready companies do in my opinion. They keep improving instead of just making it work.

Thanked by 1Hd89
  • sinsin Member

production for LET is running disk tests so yes they are production ready!

• Some interesting and wildly assumed comments in this thread.

Dollar for dollar, I find OVH is leagues above almost all providers here. Also many of the better providers here such as MyCustomHosting and Lunanode utilize OVH infrastructure for their businesses and so for anyone to say that OVH is not production ready -that is patently false. I have VPS's with both the aforementioned providers and would recommend to anyone.

I also use OVH Public Cloud and their standard VPS lines for production systems and for my clients with zero issues. With the exception of Ramnode and DO, can't say the same for many other providers I have tried here in the past.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @agonyzt said:
    According to Netcraft, Amazon > Digital Ocean > OVH. I don't see any of these 3 disappearing tomorrow morning.

This not quite an accurate comparison as Netcraft is just counting "websites". Amazon is huge of course, but DO as a cloud-only provider will by definition have a higher website/server ratio. I don't know what DO's server footprint is, but my guess is it's much small than OVH.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2016

@hostingwizard_net said:
    Exactly. Do your homework.
    OVH never got any government grant and has no debt.

Bank lending = debt. In your own rude words: Do your homework. I'll help you:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=OVH+debt

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OVH

I actually do know a thing or two I'm just not writing a scientific journal here. I'll make off hand comments and cite my lack of desire to source them (because I'm free to engage in light conversation). But if you want to be rude, I suggest you target less intelligent people :)

@jvnadr said:
    It's called government grants and debt. This is a common practice to stabilize a fast growing company. Didn't DO follow the same practice with huge funds and tons of free services to all of new clients for a long period of time?

Never said it wasn't, not a thread about DO :)

Thanked by 2xaoc jvnadr
  • @Gulf said:
    I had to switch to online.net because SYS does not provide ECC memory and flagship OVH range is too powerfull for my needs. If OVH introduces ~45$ ssd servers with ECC, I will definitely switch back for production.

My dedicated servers with sys has ecc ram and e3-1225v2 processor with 2x2tb disks and they have been running 3months+ so they are very much production ready they was even online the whole time during the delimiter outage running my fail over dns server and mail server among other things

• jarland said: Never said it wasn't, not a thread about DO :)

Just wanted to say that this is common practice and it works! :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • Is anything production ready? Life is such a mystery you know ;)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Falzo said:
    LET is definitely the place someone should ask this vague question.

I'd say it always depends on what you are expecting for the money you are willing to spend. there is no global yes or no for sure.

personally I go with MrGeneral:
    but that is only under the horizon of my own expectations, which are not exactly "pay less than $7 for full managed high availability instant automatic setup free failover never going down blabla"

Indeed. I got two servers there, and I couldn't be happier. It serves my purpose. I never needed their support, though. Even if I do, I'll just call to the portuguese OVH branch and they'll help me out.

• Yes we use them for our VPS nodes, no probelmo

• DylanDylan Member
    edited March 2016

Debt is not inherently bad. Apple has $63 billion in oustanding debt. Microsoft has $45 billion. Yet both are flush with cash ($200+ and $100+ billion, respectively).

Often it's cheaper long-term to fund something through debt.

• @jarland Nou you're just trolling so I'm out. I wasn't rude: "do your homwork" just meant "research your topic". I also wouldn't target anyone (no time for that), even if in your case, that would be easy :P

Anyway, OVH is the biggest provider of dedicated servers in the world, far away from the second one. But it may or not be the right choice, depending on your project and/or budget.

• BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

@timnboys said:
    My dedicated servers with sys has ecc ram and e3-1225v2 processor with 2x2tb disks and they have been running 3months+ so they are very much production ready they was even online the whole time during the delimiter outage running my fail over dns server and mail server among other things

Which SyS server provides ECC RAM?