Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net - Guaranteed bandwidth server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net - Guaranteed bandwidth server

I got an email around 3 hours ago from online.net stating the below, what do you guys think? I'm pretty sure I signed up for unmetered bandwidth on 1gig port with 100mbps guaranteed bandwidth, nothing stated I can not exceed 100mbps of bandwidth as it states unmetered traffic.

The server is a Dedibox kidéchire. I have another two of them which I aint even using, just sitting idle, so technically I have 300mbps of guaranteed bandwidth. I guess if they get funny about it I can split it across the 3 servers and most likely end up using even more bandwidth.

Hello,

I contact you to alert you of the way that your using your bandwidth.

If you look your Graph, you will see that your bandwidth are always on the top of it.

Your bandwidth guarantee is 100 mbps you have exceed it 1563 times about server *****.

And we can't allow you to stay at this level, so we have two solutions for you :

1/ You stop to use your bandwidth at this level and come back to the normal with different tools example Wondershaper on Debian

2/ You take the service Higher bandwidth.

Server > Server List > Manage > Service Level & Options > Higher bandwidth

The higher bandwidth option allows you to use more than your server's guaranteed bandwidth and thus benefit from the maximum amount of technically achievable bandwidth.
This functionality is subject to technical constraints of our infrastructure.
This service is made for servers with high bandwidth usage.

Higher bandwidth - 79.99 € pre-tax /month

If you don't choose any of this possibilities, we will have to slow down your server in the next 24 hours.

At your service,

Regards,

Redacted

I have not replied to it yet, just wanted to get some feedback to see if they can do this before i reply. Thanks.

Comments

• Nice, this might finally stop the people who bought them all just to waste bandwidth on Tor.

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

The way I see it is that you get 30TB for the month.. They give you a 1Gbit port so you can burst to those speeds but not constant.

Have you passed 30TB?

• Unmetered doesn't mean unlimited, and unlimited doesn't mean unlimited also. It's just a marketing term IMO after trying many unmetered or unlimited providers.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited April 2015

comXyz said: Unmetered doesn't mean unlimited, and unlimited doesn't mean unlimited also

Yes but unmetered/unlimited 1gbps is limited by "1gbps", so...

• comXyzcomXyz Member
    edited April 2015

@4n0nx said:

In my personal experience, it's unmetered/unlimited as long as you use < 10% of "1gbps", then it's limited at 10Mbs ~..,~

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

comXyz said: In my personal experience, it's unmetered/unlimited as long as you use < 10% of "1gbps", then it's limited at 10Mbs ~..,~

I wonder if online.net un-throttles servers at the beginning of the next month?

• @4n0nx said:
    I wonder if online.net un-throttles servers at the beginning of the next month?

Yup

Thanked by 24n0nx inthecloudblog
  • With the avotons I could not pass the 10 tb barrier per month

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited April 2015

What offers do you have? The basic is usually "premium 200Mb/s".

I guess they might throttle you to 100Mb/s if that's really what you've signed up for.

• blackblack Member

How much bandwidth are you actually using?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

r0t3n said: nothing stated I can not exceed 100mbps of bandwidth as it states unmetered traffic.

Only 100 mbps are guaranteed, and that's what they want to let you use. Not very unfair for 2€/month, if you ask me.

hostnoob said: Nice, this might finally stop the people who bought them all just to waste bandwidth on Tor.

I doubt anyone can do more than 100 mbps up and down with Tor on that processor.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

hostnoob said: Nice, this might finally stop the people who bought them all just to waste bandwidth on Tor.

That's hardly "wasting" bandwidth.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2015

Thanks for posting this, it's useful to know their policy regarding the b/w use.
    (And I think it's entirely reasonable).

• How much did you use in TB?

• So good !

This can stop the miners (XunLei ShuiJing, 迅雷水晶)

Thanked by 2rm_ MikePT
  • You can always use your guaranteed bandwidth on each server and burst up to 1GBit/s.
    The guaranteed bandwidth is displayed next to each offer.

Thanked by 24n0nx iKeyZ
  • So essentially, don't take the piss?

• joepie91 said: That's hardly "wasting" bandwidth.

it sure is. if they want to use BW on that sorta crap then they should pay more.

Thanked by 2jacobhere iKeyZ
  • I think we should see some bandwidth graphs. Also is there anyway to change your application so you can use 3 servers

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

TarZZ92 said: it sure is. if they want to use BW on that sorta crap then they should pay more.

I don't see the difference between a TOR node and someone who downloads 30TB of pr0n every month.

Thanked by 2deadbeef korobkov
  • They want you to pay a extra €79.99 on a €2 server?

What the fuck do they smoke in the morning

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    They want you to pay a extra €79.99 on a €2 server?

No, they just want you to stay within the guaranteed bandwidth in most time.

1gbps is burstable speed, and occasionally pass the limit seems to be reasonable. Exceeding thousand times seems to be not that reasonable on that price.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited April 2015

Given that unmetered gigabit is often $700+ and I've used over 70tb for months at a time on my dedibox XC I think this is a fair policy.

I wonder how much it's enforced for their normal lineup (not specials) of servers?

Imagine the bandwidth for this 70 MB/s tor relay on online.net! https://globe.torproject.org/#/relay/1C90D3AEADFF3BCD079810632C8B85637924A58E

• @msg7086 said:
    1gbps is burstable speed, and occasionally pass the limit seems to be reasonable. Exceeding thousand times seems to be not that reasonable on that price.

Have you read what I wrote? and what they have wrote? and what this €79.99 upgrade entitles you to?

It gives you a extra 75mbit(or could be 150 now) of bandwidth (from previous experience)

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

My graphs show i've used 40TB last month, and on average 10TB weekly.

I do not see anywhere where it states that you can not go over your guaranteed bandwidth, nor what their meaning of guaranteed bandwidth is, they say its unmetered but you can only use 100mbps of bandwidth before they start charging you basically an overage charge? I don't see anything stating that in their TOS...

I'm not going to be an arse and carry on eating lots of bandwidth but considering I could be using 300mbps over my 3 machines... Can we stay on topic on whether they CAN do this please, not on the morals of its a 2euro machine...

@beno_online can you explain what your guaranteed bandwidth means, and is it really a cap?

Thanked by 1korobkov
  • @r0t3n said:
    I got an email around 3 hours ago from online.net stating the below, what do you guys think? I'm pretty sure I signed up for unmetered bandwidth on 1gig port with 100mbps guaranteed bandwidth, nothing stated I can not exceed 100mbps of bandwidth as it states unmetered traffic.

The server is a Dedibox kidéchire. I have another two of them which I aint even using, just sitting idle, so technically I have 300mbps of guaranteed bandwidth. I guess if they get funny about it I can split it across the 3 servers and most likely end up using even more bandwidth.

I have not replied to it yet, just wanted to get some feedback to see if they can do this before i reply. Thanks.

Be nice to a provider which gives you almost unbelievable deals, idea is not to squeeze them to the max or basing on to provider, cause if everybody doing this there will be not enough for everybody and in some moment we do not have this deals any more...

I think online.net is more than fear with their offer what they provide in the end if you constntantlly is over the limits

P.S do you ever got the idea to compress your traffic or just waste it raw ? just few cpu cycles on which i cannot see the difrence can lead to several time chage if that is possible (LiteSpeed compression enable to 1) on and I do not peak over 70 mgbits with combined 10 000+ online users reading news sites

P.S.S. WHT stile of answer will be (from trolls) blah blah... it is not decent get an offer with decent provider blah blah cheap is always expensive do not buy cheap blah blah decent provider in offers section will no to do that (actually guy is mean to look at his signature) blah blah you can listen to them and buy 30-50 times more expensive server they will grantee your happiness

• r0t3n said: what their meaning of guaranteed bandwidth is, they say its unmetered but you can only use 100mbps of bandwidth before they start charging you basically an overage charge?

when they are saying unmetered, they are actually metering it

Thanked by 1chrisp
  • coolicecoolice Member
    edited April 2015

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    It gives you a extra 75mbit(or could be 150 now) of bandwidth (from previous experience)

It is written on Network on the proudc page of the page

Our network provides native support for IPV6. We assign a /48 size block to each Online account. In order to meet your current and future needs, each server is delivered with a high bandwidth capacity—from 200Mbit/sec to 750Mbit/sec—and with unlimited volume.
    **Choose our PATATE option to benefit from the greatest possible throughput on your server for only €79/month.**
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

r0t3n said: I do not see anywhere where it states that you can not go over your guaranteed bandwidth, nor what their meaning of guaranteed bandwidth is, they say its unmetered but you can only use 100mbps of bandwidth before they start charging you basically an overage charge?

The key comment is 'slow down your server' - what does that actually mean? If it means they're going to port limit you to a strict 100mb then I'd say they're perfectly within their rights to do so. That would imply that they're trusting customers to be sensible and only burst above 100mb occasionally, and that where that priviledge is abused, they take appropriate action to ensure no futher abuse takes place.

Reply to the ticket and ask what the 'slowdown' actually means, get a full picture of what they're proposing.

Thanked by 3MikePT coolice comXyz
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

linuxthefish said: Imagine the bandwidth for this 70 MB/s tor relay on online.net! https://globe.torproject.org/#/relay/1C90D3AEADFF3BCD079810632C8B85637924A58E

If it's 70/70 MB/s (not 35/35), it would cost about 250€ @ Hetzner I think.