Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Abusive Customer - Notification to Other Hosts - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Abusive Customer - Notification to Other Hosts

Comments

• @superpilesos said: Why is it that in the LEB market you are given a "share" without limits and can abuse it, but when you're paying 15$+ you often have hard limits such as 250MHz, 300MHz, 500MHz, etc.

I hardly see any providers offering dedicated shares like this, apart from BurstNET. IMHO i would much rather have a fair share of a CPU core which i can burst when i need too (Especially 4+).

A guaranteed/set rate of the mentioned numbers would be slowwww, i guess it kind of defeats the object of virtualization also. You would have to charge a lot to give guaranteed CPU cores (Although in this day and age it would probably gain some decent customers).

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

@superpilesos said: but when you're paying 15$+ you often have hard limits such as 250MHz, 300MHz, 500MHz, etc.

We tried doing this when we were young, no one liked it.

@GetKVM_Ash said: You would have to charge a lot to give guaranteed CPU cores (Although in this day and age it would probably gain some decent customers).

We have a reasonable clientbase that pays $50 per month per dedicated CPU core. It's just not easy to advertise.

• @peppr said: Reading the chat logs, I find the mods/fellow chatters equally abusive to the person as well. Virtually chasing him out of your service and chat room. Also I notice that when that person came in and mentioned his grief over the matter politely at that stage, asking for staff of BlueVM, he was rather treated with silence when someone who popped in much later was entertained.

I think kicking him from the room was pretty justified from BlueVM's POV, especially when he's been asked countless times for the ticket number for them to look into it for him where instead, he just continues to complain about his services being suspended.

• skirtTightskirtTight Member
    edited April 2013

I had a tear over this convo.

I'm pretty sure that guy was a troll or something.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited April 2013

@serverian said: I think people should be able to load a 3GB sql dump on any VPS service that is paid. But that's me.

Yes, but it takes TALENT to get that 3GB sql dump to take up that kind of load average. Trust me, I've had some massive DB dumps.

inb4 that's what she said.

@skirtTight said: I'm pretty sure that guy was a troll or something.

Well, when he was asked explicitly for information necessary to investigate the issue and he denies...

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited April 2013

Roads are built by and shared to be used again by people, but that doesn't mean someone should park a big truck on the middle of the road and block or seriously congest it for a noticeable period of time.

• @serverian said: I think people should be able to load a 3GB sql dump on any VPS service that is paid. But that's me.

It's IO bound unless you have a million indexes and triggers on your tables while you load. If you're an idiot and you leave those on when you're loading a database then you deserve everything you get.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2013

@Spencer said: Actually, they dont send that info to fraudrecord. It hashes it then is compared to other records. But your actual info is never transmitted. Maybe next time before you get all huffy you should learn2google http://www.fraudrecord.com/security.php

How do you know that? Do you see into backend?
    Ah, wait, relatively anonymous guy from internet said how his site work and you should take his word as fact and enter your clients private data into his private database... because people on internet never lie!

@raindog308 said: BTW, which privacy laws are you referring to?

I am not familiar with US legislation and I can't answer for him but I am wondering how many of those hosts which use this third party database state in their privacy policy that they will enter/share clients personal data with some third party private site from some relatively anonymous guy from turkey.

• IntcsIntcs Member

I didn't get it how he spent hours and days to attack bluevm out of said anger for his "supposedly" wasted time setting up the deleted abusive VPS! Which was even after warnings! He must be that dumb and ignorant :\
    I'd kick him if I run a company once he runs ~30 CPU repeatedly and after a single warning, that's what I've seen a managed, "expensive" VPS provider did once on an WHT thread.

• superpilesossuperpilesos Member
    edited April 2013

@Spirit said: I am wondering how many of those hosts which use this third party database state in their privacy policy that they will enter/share clients personal data with some third party private site from some relatively anonymous guy from turkey

It's common and probably found in most privacy policy.
    Example:

We may allow access to your personal data by third parties who supply us with a service
    - for the purpose of their service only and in accordance with our instructions. Examples
    include businesses which assist us in undertaking communications or monitoring our site.

Still, I wouldn't use such addons.

• @superpilesos yeah, but that's not a registered business or anything like that but private project of some releatively anonmyous guy on internet. He's not legaly responsible for entered data. All we have is his explanation on his site how things work.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Still, I wouldn't use such addons.

Yeah, I hate knowing when a spammer signs up and being able to refund them on the spot.

I need to update my privacy policy to "Spam or DOS nullifies this entire agreement."

• superpilesossuperpilesos Member
    edited April 2013

@jarland said: Yeah, I hate knowing when a spammer signs up and being able to refund them on the spot.

You're just taking someone else's word that they're a spammer. ok, maybe they are a spammer, and maybe they're going to use your services to host their personal blog and not spam anything. You don't know what they're going to do, if it's going to be something completely legal and in your terms or not. It's why spamhaus is annoying, if they find someone on their ROKSO list hosted with a provider they blacklist the IPs and start whining, even if they're not doing anything wrong.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2013

@jarland said: I need to update my privacy policy to "Spam or DOS nullifies this entire agreement."

Or write something like that in your privacy policy: "You private data will be shared with some unknown guy from Turkey".

@superpilesos Right but if I personally know the one reporting it and know that they don't take such a report lightly, it's great info. I just got out of it the other day thanks to fraud record. He immediately requested rdns after order, as they all do (but its a legit request, not proof), then I see a report from someone I respect. Of course you have to consider the source, but this situation was positive for me and negative for the spammer. That's the intent, that's a happy ending.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Spirit said: Or write something like that "You data private data will be shared with some unknown guy from Turkey".

Why would be the country important ? Share with some unknown third party.

edited April 2013

@Spirit Data is not shared by default. Abuse of terms is a breach of contract in my eyes. I'm not going to go waving it around, but if the situation warrants I will submit the hash to FraudRecord. I've only done it once.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2013

@Maounique location is not important but that's more or less we know. Or maybe... I am actually wrong. Loction is important when you share your clients data with citizen of other jurisdiction. How many hosts here are familiar with turkish legislation and know what this guy is allowed and what not.. with entered data. All what we know is that this is his private hobby project.

@jarland said: Data is not shared by default.

?

@Spirit Data is not streaming back and forth. I choose whether or not I submit the hash to FraudRecord.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2013

@jarland said: I choose whether or not I submit the hash to FraudRecord.

You don't submit hash to FraudRecord. You submit your clients private data. Don't mix website backed process with data you personally enter. So far you have only word of anonymous guy over internet how his private site work and what data are stored.

edited April 2013

@Spirit Do I? What do I submit and when? Are you certain that you know what is happening on both sides of the fence? You're making a lot of assumptions.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2013

@jarland said: Are you certain that you know what is happening on both sides of the fence?

No I don't! Do you? Do you see in his site backend? Oh, wait, he kindly explained how his site work. Enough to enter your clients private data into his site, correct?

edited April 2013

@Spirit There's two sides of this, you are assuming what is happening on my side of the fence. Are you certain that I am not comparing hashes and that I am sending client data over? Do you understand how these hashes work and how they are decoded?

• @superpilesos said: You're just taking someone else's word that they're a spammer. ok, maybe they are a spammer, and maybe they're going to use your services to host their personal blog and not spam anything.

That's great. But look into Risk Management. Its making sure that we prioritize and/or reduce our risks and sometimes that client could be more trouble for the money.

• @Spirit said: You don't submit hash to FraudRecord. You submit your clients private data.

The data is hashed on the client side.

// no errors?
                            if(empty($frc_error))
                            {
                                    // define fields
                                    $fields = array(
                                            '_api' => $apicode,
                                            '_action' => 'report',
                                            '_text' => $_POST['text'],
                                            '_type' => strtolower($_POST['type']),
                                            '_value' => (int) $_POST['value'],
                                    );

// add hashed fields
                                    foreach($client as $k => $v)
                                            if(isset($_POST[$k.'_check']) && prepare_value($v) != "")
                                                    $fields[$k] = fraudrecord_hash(prepare_value($v));

// add some more fields if the admin adds them manually
                                    $extra = array();
                                    foreach($_POST as $k => $v)
                                    {
                                            if(!empty($v) && prepare_value($v) != "" && substr($k,0,3) == "key")
                                            {
                                                    $n = substr($k,3);
                                                    // trim any whitespace and underscore from "key".
                                                    $extra[] = array(trim(trim($_POST['key'.$n]),"_"),$_POST['value'.$n]);
                                            }
                                    }
                                    foreach($extra as $x)
                                    {
                                            if(!empty($x[1]) && trim($x[1]) != "")
                                            {
                                                    // make sure each field is unique. if email and email1 is defined alread, make sure we add email2.
                                                    $c = '';
                                                    while(isset($fields[$x[0].$c]))
                                                            $c = ((int)$c)+1;
                                                    if($c)
                                                            $x[0] = $x[0].$c;

// still make sure not to overwrite
                                                    if(empty($fields[$x[0]]))
                                                            $fields[$x[0]] = fraudrecord_hash(prepare_value($x[1]));
                                            }
                                    }

//open connection
                                    $ch = curl_init();

//open connection
                                    $ch = curl_init();

//set the url, number of POST vars, POST data
                                    curl_setopt($ch,CURLOPT_URL,"https://www.fraudrecord.com/api/");
                                    curl_setopt($ch,CURLOPT_POST,count($fields));
                                    curl_setopt($ch,CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS,$fields);
                                    curl_setopt($ch,CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER,1);
                                    curl_setopt($ch,CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER,0);

//execute post
                                    $result = curl_exec($ch);

//close connection
                                    curl_close($ch);

• @Spirit said: You don't submit hash to FraudRecord. You submit your clients private data.

Specifically:

// add hashed fields
                                            if(isset($_POST[$k.'_check']) && prepare_value($v) != "")

Which is:

function fraudrecord_hash($value) {
        for($i = 0; $i < 32000; $i++)
            $value = sha1("fraudrecord-".$value);
        return $value;
    }

$fields is the array sent:

• When querying data, it's still not sent plaintext, but is also hashed:

if(!empty($checked))
                    {
                            foreach($checked as $clientid)
                            {
                                    $client = frc_get_client_details($clientid);

// define fields
                                    $fields = array(
                                            '_api' => $apicode,
                                            '_action' => 'query',
                                    );

// add hashed fields

//open connection
                                    $ch = curl_init();

curl_setopt($ch,CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER,1);
                                    curl_setopt($ch,CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER,0);

//execute post
                                    $result = curl_exec($ch);

//close connection
                                    curl_close($ch);

preg_match("~\([0-9.\-a-f]+)\~",$result,$matches);

• Vanilla limits the number of characters I can put in a post... if you're thinking i'm hiding something, take a look at the source for yourself; it's not encrypted.

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited April 2013

@Spirit, you didn't even try to understand how FraudRecord RECEIVES data, have you? You do not submit any private data, you only submit the hash. You don't have to know anything about the backend, you only need to have a little IQ in your brain and some ability to read.
    http://www.fraudrecord.com/how-it-works.php

The data is hashed and encoded before reaching FraudRecord. Only those hashes are compared when a query is made. There is no "word of an anonymous guy" in action, there is no villanous backend, everything is done using open source modules on the hosts' side. Not even the server admin of FraudRecord can read any info in the database, this is what HASHING is for, and this is why hashing is done on the hosts' side, not FraudRecord's.

I've seen your libel against FraudRecord on multiple occasions. Please at least understand the system before accusing people of leaking private info.

• The hash method is SHA1, which is believed to be reasonably durable to decryption without hash, and reasonably free from collisions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-1

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3174.html