Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Abusive Customer - Notification to Other Hosts - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Abusive Customer - Notification to Other Hosts

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Thank you @BlueVM.

@Spencer said: Actually, they dont send that info to fraudrecord. It hashes it then is compared to other records. But your actual info is never transmitted. Maybe next time before you get all huffy you should learn2google http://www.fraudrecord.com/security.php

Thank you @Spencer. Personally, I exercise a lot of restraint with FraudRecord. I will ONLY file a report if the issue is not resolved, I have some data that I think they may use again, and the abuse is something that I feel another host should be warned about beforehand. It is an extremely valuable resource, but we all need to be very aware of the weight of responsibility that comes with making a report for the next host. It shouldn't be a reaction out of anger, as I feel it sometimes is for some hosts (no names, no implied targets).

• marcmmarcm Member

@jarland said: Thank you @Spencer. Personally, I exercise a lot of restraint with FraudRecord. I will ONLY file a report if the issue is not resolved,...

@jarland - Most customers don't deserve to be on FraudRecord. We exercise common sense and only report those that send out SPAM (the kind that is dangerous), and generally people who pose a danger when they are allowed access to a server. However those are extremely rare and we document them well before reporting them. Also, I think that hosts should reply to every customer complaint on public forums, because serious customers that have business to run don't purchase hosting based on gossip anyway.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@marcm said: A customer that is not located in the US is cannot be protected by US laws.

I don't think that's completely accurate. If I am a Japanese citizen and I deposit $100,000 in the First Bank of Kansas and fly back to Tokyo, and later the president of the FBOK steals it and says "nyah nyah" to me, it's not as if the FBOK president can't be prosecuted or sued by me. I am not a lawyer, but the question of jurisdiction means the case touches the court with jurisdiction in some way - one of the two parties is in the US, a crime was committed in that court's jurisdiction, etc.

@marcm said: For example I feel that it is my moral obligation to protect the privacy of all of my customers, regardless where they are located.

Yes, I agree - and in this case it seems the ne'er-do-well in question already outed himself.

• marcmmarcm Member

@raindog308 said: I don't think that's completely accurate. If I am a Japanese citizen and I deposit $100,000 in the First Bank of Kansas and fly back to Tokyo, and later the president of the FBOK steals it and says "nyah nyah" to me, it's not as if the FBOK president can't be prosecuted or sued by me. I am not a lawyer, but the question of jurisdiction means the case touches the court with jurisdiction in some way - one of the two parties is in the US, a crime was committed in that court's jurisdiction, etc.

@raindog308 - You are correct, and if you read my comments that's pretty much what I've said:

2) The law is jurisdictional. That means that US laws can only be applied in the US. A customer that is not located in the US is cannot be protected by US laws. If a company breaches their privacy they may have a fighting chance if they come to the US and file a lawsuit.

So when it comes down to it, the law is jurisdictional, so if you are a Japanese citizen and the president of First Bank of Kansas stole your money then you file a police report with the local P.D. and report the theft. At that point the law will take over. If the president of said bank is doing this on a regular basis then one of the federal agencies will get involved.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@RobertClarke said: Sounds like a cock.

This is beyond unprofessional.

• @Nick_A He could have meant a Male Rooster though.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

@Nick_A said: This is beyond unprofessional.

Clarification below.

• marcmmarcm Member

@Liam - Looking at how the comments on this thread are progressing I can't see anything good coming out of it. Maybe the entire thread should just go away. Just my opinion of course :-)

• MunMun Member

/me requests a pic of a rooster, aka cock :P

• As requested.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

Sorry everyone, clarifying my comment regarding cock. (@Nick_A)

• @RobertClarke made my day.

• @Nick_A said: This is beyond unprofessional.

+1 XD

• @marcm Actually, most financial crimes (fraud, robbery, etc.) falls under federal jurisdiction.

Also, while the US has no general law requiring privacy policies, once a privacy policy is put in place by a company, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) can open criminal investigations into those companies that violate their own privacy polices. This can occur whether the customer lives in the US or overseas.

• marcmmarcm Member

@bluebit said: Also, while the US has no general law requiring privacy policies, once a privacy policy is put in place by a company, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) can open criminal investigations into those companies that violate their own privacy polices. This can occur whether the customer lives in the US or overseas.

@bluebit - I hope that you understand that privacy laws cover information that is actually private. Most information like a name, phone number or address that is already available on public web sites such as whitepages.com isn't private anymore so it is not covered. The FTC investigates privacy issues related to personal information leaks such as social security numbers, credit card numbers and financial / credit information. In other words, there is a huge difference between the information that a hosting company collects (which is used for order fulfillment) and information that is collected by a company like Equifax or LifeLock.

The bottom line is that since @BlueVM panicked and started this thread I commented saying something along the lines of "why don't you publish the rest of the info". He has to decide where he draws the line. We never share any kind of private information with anyone, neither do we collect more than the bare minimum of personal information from our customers in order to fulfill their orders.

Regardless of what the law says, it's bad PR to share private customer information with the general public on a forum.

• @marcm said: He has to decide where he draws the line.

And he did. He drew the line at information said customer posts publicly in an easily accessible unrestricted location.

• since reading the original post of op, i knew privacy will be big issue and will be discussed heavily

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@marcm said: In other words, there is a huge difference between the information that a hosting company collects (which is used for order fulfillment) and information that is collected by a company like Equifax or LifeLock.

Yes exactly. I'm really wondering what "privacy laws" people are quoting so furiously here. I don't think there are any that would cover something like a provider saying "Bob Smith at 123 Main Street in West Podunk, Kentucky is our customer".

I could be wrong. Credit cards, payment info, PCI/etc., social security numbers, are all a different realm.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited April 2013

Reading the chat logs, I find the mods/fellow chatters equally abusive to the person as well. Virtually chasing him out of your service and chat room. Also I notice that when that person came in and mentioned his grief over the matter politely at that stage, asking for staff of BlueVM, he was rather treated with silence when someone who popped in much later was entertained.

On another note, someone who is using your services ( why not a linode? ) is cheap in your own opinion and it is a waste of time for the client and provider to even talk about abuse / issues / watever? A provider could instantly terminate the services when he finds abuse ( intentional or not) and the client must always remember this is a cheap service and walk off with empty hands?? The client shouldn't have balls to confront if he isn't spending $20/m.

Note : I really have/had no issues with BlueVM nor i dont care who is that guy, however by just following the chat log I got the above impression.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Apr 20 18:28:36 Johnston   well your waisting my time on a $2 vps

^ with an attitude like that, you shouldn't sell LEBs.

• @rm - I think you're taking that out of context. He was refusing to give me any information at that time to identify his account with. Thus he was in fact wasting my time by having me ask him for something he wasn't going to give me.

It's a matter of perspective. If I didn't feel selling $2 LEBs was worth my time I wouldn't be in the industry, but sometimes helping every single client (especially when they aren't trying to actually get help, just start an argument) makes a HUGE difference.

• MunMun Member

@peppr said: Reading the chat logs, I find the mods/fellow chatters equally abusive to the person as well. Virtually chasing him out of your service and chat room. Also I notice that when that person came in and mentioned his grief over the matter politely at that stage, asking for staff of BlueVM, he was rather treated with silence when someone who popped in much later was entertained.

On another note, someone who is using your services ( why not a linode? ) is cheap in your own opinion and it is a waste of time for the client and provider to even talk about abuse / issues / watever? A provider could instantly terminate the services when he finds abuse ( intentional or not) and the client must always remember this is a cheap service and walk off with empty hands?? The client shouldn't have balls to confront if he isn't spending $20/m.

Note : I really have/had no issues with BlueVM nor i dont care who is that guy, however by just following the chat log I got the above impression.

As a person who tried to help him and getting constantly ignored, he was simply there to vent. He never had the intention of resolving the issue.

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited April 2013

Confused. You can't allocate resources for a VM for predictable resource usage on the node? Really? But...Really?
    I guess I need to learn some thing here. And I hope it isn't learning how to oversell.
    Wahhahahhh..Ehh. -.-

@BlueVM that guy must've pissed you off brother. I didn't read the chats Just, may be he didn't know better (?)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@natestamm said: You can't allocate resources for a VM for predictable resource usage on the node?

Not for a load average of 65. If I see someone hit that I assume malicious activity almost immediately. No one needs to hit a load like that in a shared environment.

• @natestamm said: @BlueVM that guy must've pissed you off brother. I didn't read the chats Just, may be he didn't know better (?)

Well the way he was "tooting his own horn" I highly doubt he didn't know better.

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited April 2013

@jarland do you mean 65% like in a top -s for the VM? And continuous right cus I've seen that type of spike installing some thing
    Or do you mean for the node itself, And if so how is a properly allocated VM doing that to a node.
    Good stuff just trying to understand this.

I thought the nature of virtualization should prevent that happening to the node..No?

• MunMun Member
    edited April 2013

@natestamm load as in 1 unit ~=~ 1 cpu core. So in his case he tried to use 65 full cores on a node with 8? i.e. abuse.

• @natestamm said: @jarland do you mean 65% like in a top -s for the VM? And continuous right cus I've seen that type of spike installing some thing

Or do you mean for the node itself, And if so how is a properly allocated VM doing that to a node.
    Good stuff just trying to understand this.

Constantly using it is bad (like you said), but spiking here and there is perfectly fine (hell you're using the service you paid for).

Just read this for better understanding: http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2009/07/31/understanding-load-averages