Review: New Wave NetConnect
------------ Host nwnx.net is unprofessional
------ Also known as:
And the list keeps growing... This seems to be (from my opinion) one of those companies that keeps adding or changing names. So you end up switching, only to realize you've been dealing with the same people. :eek:
Key Points of Host:
- Poor up time
- Poor ping on IP address (see screen shot)
- Poor ping on NODE address (see screen shot)
- High packet loss (see screen shot)
- Corrupt distro images *
- Poorly configured pre-made images *
- Un-authroized billing for services (see screen shot)
- Rude customer service
- Reasonable server load (not perfect, but reasonable)
- Easy access to control panel (and / or SSH)
- Quick and friendly customer service
- Customer service which will resolve issues (or at least make a valid attempt & not brush me off with a "script" response)
- An agreeable Terms of Service for possible mild adult content (limited, not porn)
- An acceptable budget
- Able to save small attachments on file server, rather then having them be stored in PHP. Thus improving site load time, back ups, and less server resources.
**My current resources:
- 1 Database (MySQL) (1 more is optional for test site)
- Space currently using: -- 1 GB
- Current monthly bandwidth: -- 15 GB
- XenForo with only 50 active members
- Optimizer to prevent & lower resource use on MySQL & PHP (over all lower server resources) & improve load time.
- Manually backing up using FTP & MySQL Dumper
Full Commentary Review:
We're an uncensored community (forum), with about 50 active members. So we're not that large and typically people are not all online at once.
I've never had such a strange experience with a hosting service provider....
We originally ordered services on February 1, 2013 and by February 20th, 2013 we were already shopping for a new provider.
Well for starters their "distro images" (see screen shot) were a lot like gambling... You never knew what you were going to get. It took sometime for us to realize this, but the images sometimes were "pre-used". This was very concerning as we ended up having old data from past customers or past installs.
And selecting an pre-configured image didn't yield the best configuration. In fact, when we kept complaining about the poor ping time, their support tried to blame us for the configuration.... It was their pre-made configuration with nothing changed by us (we hadn't even uploaded anything).
We couldn't successfully run a hardware check (seems some how we were blocked from doing so). But upon doing a few fresh install; we noticed the system would be corrupt (setting would not always save).
As we said, we ordered service on February 1 and by the 20th, we were already moving to a new host (or so we thought). We canceled our services for Direct Admin, but were still billed for it... Counting as an un-authorized charge on our account.
A refund request was ignored for over a week and finally we were issues a credit (we wanted a refund).
Turns out that our new host was the same as our old host, because it was the same host under a different name (but still billed under New Wave NetConnect).
Support was very rude and when we called them on it, they deleted their comments, but still made a point to tell us to be respectful.
I'll be honest.... This is one of those times when things were so bad... You kind of don't know where to start explaining and you feel drained to the point of... "Why bother?". So you'll excuse me if my comments are short.
See screen shots
I think my summery about covers most of everything, but I'll be willing to answer questions upon request
edit: can't seem to upload photos... So.... Also fixed all those bb codes.