Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review: New Wave NetConnect - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review: New Wave NetConnect

Comments

• @superpilesos said: Hate speech is illegal in Canada and Sweden

The topic was about someone's view-point (opinion) on how people of The Muslims / Islamic faith believe things should be (the poster disagrees)

Ironically, if I stood in Iran and said woman were equals and had the same rights as men, in Iran that would be hate speech (Seriously, look it up)

The thing about calling something "hate speech" is it varies and just about anything could be called, hate speech.

• You can reply to more than one quote in a single post.

• @mojeda said: You can reply to more than one quote in a single post.

I'm still learning how this site works. I generally like to divide them though for easier reading. Sorry about that.

• @Socially_Uncensored said: I'm still learning how this site works. I generally like to divide them though for easier reading. Sorry about that.

Because the quotes themselves are styled they act as separators from other quotes.

• edited April 2013

@AnthonySmith said: You might want to look at the screen shots here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1255380 he asked for that on 11th march?

Or did I miss something?

You're not missing anything. I actually canceled the service (Direct Admin) on February 20, was billed March 1, requested a refund on March 11, and no one took any action to resolve it until March 13 when they issued me a credit (not a refund).

I officially put a notice to cancel all remaining service "immediately" today (April 9). Still waiting on them to cancel that service. Kind of worried that it will be another "issue" and will get billed again. "Immediately" seem to not be immediately.

• mojedamojeda Member
    edited April 2013

@Socially_Uncensored said: when they issued me a credit (not a refund).

Most if not all companies/hosts will give account credit, not a refund back to your bank/credit card.

1.7 Refunds

1.7.1 Refunds are subject to approval by ChicagoVPS on a case by case basis. If a refund is deemed appropriate, then ChicagoVPS will credit your account or refund through PayPal.
    1.7.2 Refunds on Credit Card's are subject to a $25 administrative fee for processing.

https://billing.chicagovps.net/terms_of_service.php

• @Socially_Uncensored

10 minutes for a OpenVZ template to install? And you waited over an hour. That is NOT good.

Templates should take no more than a minute really.

• @mojeda said: Most if not all companies/hosts will give account credit, not a refund back to your bank/credit card.

When authorized to charge you for products and services, I can see this. But when not authorized, I have a problem with it (and I would imagine so would anyone else).

@mojeda said: .7.1 Refunds are subject to approval by ChicagoVPS on a case by case basis. If a refund is deemed appropriate, then ChicagoVPS will credit your account or refund through PayPal.

They even outline it in their TOS (terms of service), as you pointed out. As it wasn't an authorized charge, I would assume a credit isn't good enough.

• @Jack said: Depends on the disk speeds really, one's with cpanel or something like that around the 5GB mark will take longer too.

Debian Linux without a control panel ?

• I really wish I could upload photo's here. A fresh install of Debian 6 (64 bit) using Chicago VPS's image was 529.42 MB (about 1/2 GB)

• This honestly sounds like a miscommunication between @Socially_Uncensored and ChicagoVPS staff. Frankly, I find it hard to believe that someone would go to this length to disparage a company that has a decent (admittedly not great) reputation around here. Additionally, I think it's highly unlikely that ChicagoVPS would risk its professional reputation to rip you out of the small sum of five dollars, and from what I can see above, @CVPS_Kevin is happy to refund that money to you.

Additionally, just because the disk image came with CSF pre-installed does not mean that the defaults suit everyone's needs. Those were up to you to change, hence "unmanaged."

Regardless, I hope you get this worked out! Just my 2cents.

• edited April 2013

@davester said: from what I can see above, @CVPS_Kevin is happy to refund that money to you.

And if they do, we'll follow up saying so. So far, nothing.

@davester said: Additionally, just because the disk image came with CSF pre-installed does not mean that the defaults suit everyone's needs. Those were up to you to change, hence "unmanaged."

You seem to be ignoring that CSF is not the issue. Or maybe I didn't explain it clearly enough (or enough times).

We had this issue before, during, and after CSF..... ie... It was not installed, let alone configured, the majority of the time. In fact it was installed for only 2 days and then we switched images (linux distros).

So let's get over the "CSF" quote which seems to have been tossed out there as a distraction or deference (in my opinion).

• @Socially_Uncensored said: So let's get over the "CSF" quote which seems to have been tossed out there as a distraction or deference (in my opinion).

I've personally had similar issues with CSF and believe this to be true. Now you unknowingly could have thought CSF was not installed, who knows.

But while I was monitoring my CVPS Buffalo node, I haven't had packetloss in a long time (and that's over 3 months). Which node are you on?

• @HalfEatenPie said: I've personally had similar issues with CSF and believe this to be true. Now you unknowingly could have thought CSF was not installed, who knows

We checked. It was not installed (Debian or Ubuntu Linux)

• NightNight Member

I agree that packetloss has never been an issue over at ChicagoVPS... The only issues you might have are overloaded nodes, which they may be addressing as of late (don't use them any longer). Are you sure that the templates were bad? It would be best to describe more specifically how these templates were tainted, because I doubt this is true without proof.

• @Night said: I agree that packetloss has never been an issue over at ChicagoVPS... The only issues you might have are overloaded nodes, which they may be addressing as of late (don't use them any longer). Are you sure that the templates were bad? It would be best to describe more specifically how these templates were tainted, because I doubt this is true without proof.

Yeah... I don't understand the "tainted templates" either. Because personally I find that highly unlikely.

• @CVPS_Kevin said: First and foremost thanks for taking the time to write this, I would like the opportunity to clarify a few things as you are obviously one-sided on this and deliberately trying to post slanderous claims about our company online due to a $5 charge which was made in MISTAKE automatically by our billing system. You have not made a single attempt to contact us to get that refunded yet besides publicly posting a biased review designed to attempt to tarnish our reputation.

You lost me here, sorry. He posted a screenshot of him asking for a refund.

Besides, getting all offensive here towards the OP? That's not the way to handle PR man :) I completely agree with you that the OP's side is just one side of the story, but you could have started with:

"We're very sorry your experience with us was this problematic. We've refunded you the $5 we (accidentally) charged after you cancelled your service with us. We've also opened a ticket in your account if you wish to discuss this further with us."

You could have even added:

"We've also given you a $5 credit in your account, as a means to compensate for the inconvenience caused."

And you would have started of with a new tone for CVPS, made some friends and solved that problem really quickly. People usually don't care and/or don't (want to) understand you're having issues with your billing system. They just want a solution to their problem. Solve first, explain later usually works better than the other way around.

About the rest of the OP's claims: these are up for discussion, if you ask me. I've read his other thread about you guys and it seems there was lots of config issues probably not due to CVPS. However, attacking the OP on this hardly ever makes you look good. You could have simply stated you think some of the issues may have been caused by configuration (and specifically mentioned which configuration you think) and such and that you would have been glad to give some pointers to the OP. Again, you would be the friendly guy here and you would add good to the CVPS name (and trust me, it could use it around here).

• op said "Host nwnx.net is unprofessional"

cvps rep said "Very untrue"

Belittling one of your customers on a public forum would qualify as unprofessional.

CVPS_Kevin said "deliberately trying to post slanderous claims about our company online"

Not to be an ass but if people are going to use words like slander it would be nice if they actually took some time to learn the definition of the word before they posted it. :)

slan·der [slan-der]

noun
    3. Law. defamation by oral utterance rather than by writing, pictures, etc.

li·bel [lahy-buhl]

noun
    1. Law. a. defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures.

ok, carry on, this grammar nazi is going to bed... :P

• @DomainBop said: Belittling one of your customers on a public forum would qualify as unprofessional.

I don't get how he's belitting a client...

• laaevlaaev Member

I had some further time to investigate this matter further tonight, I am currently working remote as I am away from the office until later this week, so I do apologize if my initial response lacked further detail as the post was done off my iPad earlier this afternoon. I hope you forgive me for my brevity earlier but I am on a laptop now and was able to investigate this further to provide a better understanding into the situation.

Reviewing the screenshots posted on the WHT thread at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1255380 and looking at ticket RSL-230697 - it seems like @Socially_Uncensored intentionally left out many ticket replies, and the $5 overcharge was refunded already, he only showed HALF of the ticket... and left out the last 2 replies where we refunded this to his account credit (per his approval)

Below is a screenshot of the FULL ticket where we already refunded this back in March. For privacy I blacked out the client's IP Address and client name, here is a screenshot of the entire ticket fully unedited besides the name/IP, since @Socially_Uncensored decided to leave out the essential replies in order to generate a one-sided review.

http://i.imgur.com/VHssNme.png

Again I cannot stress this enough, the intents of @Socially_Uncensored is quite clear and he left out many evidence/details in his review.

Regards,

Kevin

• @CVPS_Kevin: Thanks for the update. Do you have any "proof" though of him being offensive to the techs?

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited April 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: Thanks for the update. Do you have any "proof" though of him being offensive to the techs?

Yes I do however he did not post a screenshot of this ticket on WHT nor did he mention it, therefore I don't want to violate any client privacy policy... I posted ticket RSL-230697 in my previous reply only because he mentioned this and posted a PARTIAL screenshot on WHT and I wanted to show the full story.

Upon the client's approval I will happily share the ticket where he was abusive towards our staff and continued to blame the issue on us despite it being a CSF config issue.

I am not here to play the pointing fingers game and those who worked with me should know this, so I don't want anyone to have that impression so please don't get me wrong... I am only trying to explain the full story as the OP left out alot of key details and I didn't exactly like the way he maneuvered this review that way as its quite unfair...
    I am not sure what his motives behind this are as he was all taken care of as far as I see in reviewing his account... his $5 overcharge he mentioned was a mistake we admitted to (due to gateway problems with our CC processor), and this refunded about a month ago per ticket RSL-230697.

• As explained before.... Some of the tickets have been edited, updated, or removed.

My fault is not taking screen shots sooner, rather than later.... I'll leave you with this thought in mind.....

Logic would suggest though... Why on earth would I want a credit or need credit when I'm leaving a host and would never need or use that credit? This from a charge on my card that was not authorized.

Draw your own conclusions.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Socially_Uncensored said: Logic would suggest though... Why on earth would I want a credit or need credit when I'm leaving a host and would never need or use that credit? This from a charge on my card that was not authorized.

Are saying ChicagoVPS support changed your ticket response and you never actually stated you'd accept account credit?

• @Nekki said: Are saying ChicagoVPS support changed your ticket response and you never actually stated you'd accept account credit?

I'm saying there are A LOT of tickets and replies missing. I'm also saying there are A LOT of new tickets and replies that I don't recall.

And I'll leave you with that question.... If you were leaving a host and found an unauthorized charge, would you be asking or wanting or needing a credit?

If @CVPS_Kevin honestly does not know about anything of this.... I would be concerned if I was him. And personally, I would be very surprised to learn that.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2013

Sounds like A LOT of work to mug you for $5.

• @Nekki said: Sounds like A LOT of work to mug you for $5.

Would it surprise you that I actually agree with this statement?!

And I do not pretend to understand their reasoning. I can only "guess" that it cost more to refund it (depending on their merchant account).

Even if we forget about the unauthorized charge, it does not undo the level of poor service and support we received.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well there is an easy solution as much as I hate to say this, if it was a CC charge which they admit to making in error and did not refund you you can charge it back... simple really.

Giving credit is by no means a substitute for a refund if you have charged someone's card in error unless the customer agrees to this.

Either way, my best guess is that we will never know what has honestly happened here as it has been Socially Censored by both the client and the company.

• @AnthonySmith said: Well there is an easy solution as much as I hate to say this, if it was a CC charge which they admit to making in error and did not refund you you can charge it back... simple really.

Giving credit is by no means a substitute for a refund if you have charged someone's card in error unless the customer agrees to this.

I've not ruled it out. Although I'm going to hate all the paperwork needed to do that. I've clearly not ruled it out.

@AnthonySmith said: it has been Socially Censored by both the client and the company.

funny.... I've been open about it. censorship not found (not on my end).

• FreekFreek Member
    edited April 2013

I would not want to have this on my servers. This is pure racism/hate spreading.
    Uncensored or not, that shit could get you into trouble... legally.