Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Launches 3 New Datacenters - Page 25
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Launches 3 New Datacenters

Comments

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2017

I wonder how likely they are going to be to help with anything hardware related if they have to pay Equinix staff remote hands rates to get anything done on your server (considering 1 hour of labour is more than 2 months cost of the service)...

Maybe "resourcing problems" means they didn't work out how much it cost to have staff in AU. ;-)

Thanked by 1trewq
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Oliver said:

Spazzly said: Just got an email from OVH

Hello,

At the end of December, we informed you that we were experiencing some challenges in deploying the new VAC infrastructure (the anti-DDoS system) in our Sydney and Singapore datacenters.

We are happy to announce that deployment of these servers has started and we anticipate all servers to be deployed by 1st March 2017.

Unfortunately due to resourcing problems within Sydney, we will be unable to offer any hardware support for the servers until such time as vacancies have been filled. We are hoping to have a full team ready by the end of April 2017.

We apologize for the delay and thank you for the confidence you place in us.

Regards, The OVH team

Is that for real?

I wonder how likely they are going to be to help with anything hardware related if they have to pay Equinix staff remote hands rates to get anything done on your server (considering 1 hour of labour is more than 2 months cost of the service)...

Maybe "resourcing problems" means they didn't work out how much it cost to have staff in AU. ;-)

I don't understand why they don't contract it out to a local company for the time being.

trewq said: I don't understand why they don't contract it out to a local company for the time being.

Why don't you understand it?

Their buying power for hardware probably got them the hardware way cheaper than anyone in AU can get it, so they can offer high spec servers for a great price.

Their buying power for network capacity gave them the ability to have generous bandwidth allowances for a low price because they no doubt pay less per mbit for network capacity than any other company offering dedicated servers in Sydney.

Their buying power/existing relationships with Equinix no doubt got them a great price for a suite in SY1.

Their buying power does not get them cheaper labour in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

The last point is what has led to the almost unbelievable (to me anyway) email that @Spazzly quoted.

• Only SYD servers start shipping? I don't think SG start shipping yet

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited February 2017

time to move to australia and work for ovh ;)

that's kinda scary tbh knowing that if your server fails to power on after a reboot, etc it may be down for even weeks. At least we have full IPMI access for the time being

I'm honestly curious if their reboot system that they have in places like BHS, etc where if you do a hard restart in the manager it cuts off power and then powers back on the server works the same here

edited February 2017

I wonder if that could also be why it took so long for the servers to get up and running as they are now and for deployments as well

@ethancedrik why don't you ask on the mailing list how they expect to deal with remote hands? I would be very interested to hear their reply. :-)

• Oliver said: @ethancedrik why don't you ask on the mailing list how they expect to deal with remote hands? I would be very interested to hear their reply. :-)

I will and

OH MY GOD YESS

• They don't have the USB key or Cisco ASA firewall options, but they do appear to have backup storage avalible on the Sydney servers at least

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

My IPMI wont work either.

• What am i doing wrong here lads. Trying to add the failover ip's into Server2008r2. Added them as normal, subnet mask 255.255.255.255 (as per OVH docs), gateway as .254 in the ip range. Main ip works, all others dont? Do i need to do something else to make them work?

edited February 2017

pbgben said: My IPMI wont work either.

hopefully they are able to get your server online soon

• Also, my comment regarding no hardware support was just a jab at pbgben, its not real :)

• @Spazzly said:
    What am i doing wrong here lads. Trying to add the failover ip's into Server2008r2. Added them as normal, subnet mask 255.255.255.255 (as per OVH docs), gateway as .254 in the ip range. Main ip works, all others dont? Do i need to do something else to make them work?

I'll get you a screenshot of how mine typically look, usually I use 255.255.255.255 as the subnet mask on the main IP and then 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask on the additional IPs or vice versa

edited February 2017

https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C236_C232/X11SSE-F.cfm

These are the motherboards they're using in their discovery servers, I don't know much about how these microcloud boards work but there is the info for anyone that's wanting to know more

https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/files/MicroCloud/f_MicroCloud.pdf

Thanked by 1datanoise
    edited February 2017

I probably will use a Vultr Sydney VPS to install an ISO image over IPMI since it literally takes ages to do so from my main computer over my home internet

• Sorted once i assigned virual mac :)

• Oles actually stated that prices for servers in Sydney would increase, so apparently this is a good price we got them at, around $98 USD

edited February 2017

Not sure if it's just me but my FTP backup is NOT in the Syd datacenter, Ill ask about this too as I believe it was stated earlier that others did have theirs in SYD

• @ethancedrik said:

Oliver said: @ethancedrik why don't you ask on the mailing list how they expect to deal with remote hands? I would be very interested to hear their reply. :-)

I will and

OH MY GOD YESS

Did you just get a server at their SG location? O:

• @K4Y5 said:

@ethancedrik said:

Oliver said: @ethancedrik why don't you ask on the mailing list how they expect to deal with remote hands? I would be very interested to hear their reply. :-)

I will and

OH MY GOD YESS

Did you just get a server at their SG location? O:

Sorry to say this but no, it was in AU

• So it appears that Singapore servers are still under wait, but everything else has been delivered.

Here are what temps look like on a server in AU

and the mechanical hard drives they use are HGST UltraStar 7K RPM enterprise storage hard drives, I'll post the model number here later.

edited March 2017

Speedtest over OVH's internal network from SYD to BHS, not bad

One to Palmerston North

• Anyone have an idea when the US locations will be open? Just says soon on their site.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@GodlyCloud said:
    Anyone have an idea when the US locations will be open? Just says soon on their site.

A while, its still being fitted. Keep an eye on oles' Twitter

Thanked by 1GodlyCloud
  • I wasnt aware that there were so many people from NZ on LET untill this thread.

• @sqamsqam said:
    I wasnt aware that there were so many people from NZ on LET untill this thread.

Us Kiwis value that dollar bro

• @Spazzly said:

@sqamsqam said:

Yeah its nice finally having something well spec'd for a decent price in the region. sucks when the exchange rate goes down tho. would be nice if OVH AU would also add the option to bill in NZD when things are set up properly

• @sqamsqam said:

@Spazzly said:

@sqamsqam said:

Yeah its nice finally having something well spec'd for a decent price in the region. sucks when the exchange rate goes down tho. would be nice if OVH AU would also add the option to bill in NZD when things are set up properly

Yeah I think they mentioned the AU site will serve AU and NZ both

edited March 2017

ExtraVMs KVM VPSs ran off these servers in OVH AU SY1 are now available for order (scroll down to bottom and select "Sydney, AU" on the plan you'd like

https://extravm.com/kvmvps.html

I however don't know about bandwidth usage, or if you'll be able to buy more bandwidth if you use all yours up, etc.