Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH - It's back - dedicated server for 12€ a month - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH - It's back - dedicated server for 12€ a month

Comments

• I wish I would have seen this deal earlier. I ended up just getting the mks 2G for now.

• Ok the last email was to say sorry but you will have to pay for it.
    So no ip, just some excuse.

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

me too deadend

• earlearl Member

Well for what ever it's worth it's still a good deal even without the IP, considering that my n2800 feels just a little underpowered this might be just right..

Still waiting for mine to be set up thought this is the second day! they emailed me in the morning saying my server should be set-up in a couple of hours but still no server??

• n0myn0my Member

Hey guys, I have a server with OVH with following specs:
    Kimsufi limited edition
    CPU: Q6600
    RAM: 4GB DDR2
    HDD: 1TB

Cost: £19.99 per month

They don't do this server anymore.
    I wont be needing this anymore so if someone wants it, you can but you will have to tell me how do I transfer it.

Thanks.

• ztecztec Member

@n0my said: Hey guys, I have a server with OVH with following specs:

Kimsufi limited edition
    CPU: Q6600
    RAM: 4GB DDR2
    HDD: 1TB

Cost: £19.99 per month

They don't do this server anymore.

I wont be needing this anymore so if someone wants it, you can but you will have to tell me how do I transfer it.

Thanks.

I also got this one and its tha bomb. I think I have 500GB though but ddr3(not100%sure)

• n0myn0my Member

@ztec said: but ddr3(not100%sure)

I think that CPU don't support DDR3.

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

If anyone is interest to know about their Motherboard at OVH..

The E2180 Pentium:

N2800 Atom:

I wonder what they are going to choose now that Intel stopped making boards..

• earlearl Member

OVH is really frustrating at how slow they are!!

Just ordered a USB Key and a fail over IP and they take so long!! they also don't allow you to order more than 1 fail over IP at a time, so now I have to wait for them to provision my IP before I can order another one!!

• why u need usb?

• earlearl Member

@goexodus said: why u need usb?

They attach a USB Key to your server so you can use as a back up space, or you can install the OS on the USB key..

It's cheap enough, they also offer external drives 2 TB Drives, but I think this cost too much!

USB Disk
    USB Key

• earlearl Member

@Bob_v2 said: want to try some vmware on it.

Were you successful on installing vmware for the E2180? I don't think it will work because it is lacking Intel vt..

• want to try some vmware on it.

you can install XEN for sure. But dont expect much ...

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

Just for fun I installed a CT in my USB Key:

dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -fr iotest
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 364.062 seconds, 2.9 MB/s

It appears to be a Kingston dt 101 g2.

• ranieranie Member

Under Summary in manager v3 for my Les Bons Plans KIMSUFI E2180 it sayes

Traffic: unlimited

In the normal 2G i have it sayes

Monthly traffic: 5.00 TiB per month

Is that normal ?

• Yes.

• earlearl Member

I've been periodically checking Kimsufi to see if they restocked the special or if they have a new offer but it seems it's been completely sold out since the last time I bought it!

Anyone bought the Atom D425 special? curious on how slow it is compared to the n2800?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@earl said: I've been periodically checking Kimsufi to see if they restocked the special or if they have a new offer but it seems it's been completely sold out since the last time I bought it!

My guess is that some weeks/months down the road a new special will appear there, with different specs and maybe a different DC. So someone please keep an eye on that page :D

@earl said: Anyone bought the Atom D425 special? curious on how slow it is compared to the n2800?

Well it is slower, sure.

D425 is single-core + HT (2 virtual cores);
    N2800 is dual-core + HT (4 virtual cores).

Per-core performance should be about the same. So for typical highly parallel tasks like web serving and databases, it's safe to say the D425 will be about 2x slower.

But for 10 EUR/mo for 4GB of RAM and 2TB disk (a great backup server), it is/was an awesome deal no matter what.

• earlearl Member

@rm_ said: But for 10 EUR/mo for 4GB of RAM and 2TB disk (a great backup server), it is/was an awesome deal no matter what.

That's exactly it the 4GB and 2TB is really attractive @10 euro p/m it's the CPU I think is too slow..

while my n2800 is a tad slow I think it's still acceptable considering I only pay 9.99 euro.

I'm anxiously waiting for a new deal to come up! something with at least 4GB of ram :)

• wahyanwahyan Member
    edited March 2013

@earl said: new deal

The new deal is up again! Remember the old "KS24G" ? ha

Processeur Intel Core i7 920 4x 2.66 GHz (8 Mo de cache)
    Architecture 64 bits
    NIC FastEthernet
    Mémoire vive 24 Go
    Disque 2 To

34.99€ HT /Mois
    (SOIT 41.85€ TTC) *

• yeah and you have to commit to 12 months! Which equals 419.88€ HT

@wahyan nicely spotted :)
    But this one is not for me, and tbh does not seem too attractive,
    "what use is 24 GB of RAM for you, Mr.Anderson, when you have just one HDD?" (c)
    and just one IP included, heh.

• vedranvedran Veteran

@rm_ said: when you have just one HDD

Are you sure it's only one HDD? Even 4G has two ...

@vedran what exactly from http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/bons_plans/index.xml makes you think there is more than one HDD?

• vedranvedran Veteran

Nothing makes me think there is one or two, it would make more sense if it was two. They don't even have 2TB disks in their standard offer and everything over 4GB has two.

• earlearl Member

@wahyan, Thanks for sharing.. but it's a bit steep for me, If I prepay a year @ €419.99 and the euro goes up next year I would be SOL!! on top of that I would still have to pay for the IP's!

I think at this price I would rather buy the ovh.ca KS 2 server, you get less ram and cpu but 2x hard drive.

edited March 2013

@earl said: If I prepay a year @ €419.99 and the euro goes up next year I would be SOL!!

If you expect Euro to go up, it makes sense to prepay for as much things as possible in Euro right now, while it's cheaper. -- Or do you mean for the year after that; well, then you could just cancel the server after a year if it becomes no longer cost-effective.
    But I agree there are better offers than this server altogether.

• lbftlbft Member

@vedran said: Nothing makes me think there is one or two, it would make more sense if it was two. They don't even have 2TB disks in their standard offer and everything over 4GB has two.

The previous Kimsufi line only had single disks, with the 16G and 24G both having a single 2TB disk.

• lbftlbft Member

@Toadyus said: yeah and you have to commit to 12 months! Which equals 419.88€ HT

Holy crap, this would be a nice offer if it weren't for that.

• earlearl Member

@rm_ said: Or do you mean for the year after that;

Well I just mean cause euro is not my main currency so I'm always concern about the exchange rate.. I would hate after setting up my server and all is running for over a year I have to move cause euro is too expensive when it comes time to renew..

Also I would rather just buy a new dell server outright and colo it then pay €419.99 to OVH..