Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH - It's back - dedicated server for 12€ a month - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH - It's back - dedicated server for 12€ a month

Comments

• @yomero said: you just need to disable the feature in the proxmox panel.

Can you tell me how to disable the feature in the proxmox panel? Thanks

• @goexodus said: reinstall > windows > basic

You need to key in your licence before doing that. As it will tell you you don't have an SPLA licence

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@yomero said: You can run KVM despite don't having VT instructions, you just need to disable the feature in the proxmox panel.

This will be QEMU and not KVM, and you don't even begin to imagine how horrendously slow this will be :) Basically emulating a whole CPU and machine completely in software. Better off using the OpenVZ support of Proxmox.

@hyao said: And if you're thinking of hosting forums etc., I agree with @rm_'s suggestion: buy some vps and craft some HA solutions. :-)

I wouldn't recommend a VPS over this offer, I just meant that the usage he described seemed like very light load that one wouldn't need a 32 GB of RAM Xeon to run, and that this OVH dedi or even any Atom dedi would handle it more than perfectly.

• @rm_ said: This will be QEMU and not KVM, and you don't even begin to imagine how horrendously slow this will be :) Basically emulating a whole CPU and machine completely in software. Better off using the OpenVZ support of Proxmox.

Whatever, you can.

• Did you guys got 3+1 Free IPs?

• pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited March 2013

Does anyone have a screenshot of the 3+1 included IPs for the new Bon Plan? A screenshot of the offer on OVH's site.

Are you slow or what, at the top of this very page people posted that 3 free IPs have been removed from the offer and are not provided.

• It's yearly plan.Better if can pay monthly.

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

can someone who bought the yearly plan from .fr site confirm the 1+3 Free IPs

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Model
    ST1000DM003-9YN162

smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Power_On
    9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 096 096 000 Old_age Always - 4193

dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -fr iotest
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.39741 s, 168 MB/s

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/03/07/krFzn1VksIlT3iLW
    UnixBench score: 1468.0
    I/O rate: 158.0 MB/second
    Bandwidth rate: 11.3 MB/second

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

@wahyan said: Can you tell me how to disable the feature in the proxmox panel? Thanks

VM->options->KVM hardware Virtualization-> uncheck enabled
    imageimage

• earlearl Member

@hyao said: If your requirements could be met by renting a dedi, that seems like the route to take.

Yeah you guys are right, having hardware in the DC means I have a commitment with them, and if I need any work done then remote hands get's very expensive.

I have been very impressed with OVH I'm thinking about cancelling all my other servers and just go with OVH for all my dedi.

For the same price it would cost me to colo I can get an i3 which would be newer hardware and free replacements if something breaks..

Did you guys notice that USB feature in OVH manager? I think it's pretty neat, thinking about getting the16GB USB stick for 1euro p/m to store my data, the external HD option looks good but I think the price p/m is too expensive!

• lbftlbft Member

Confirmation from OVH support:

It does not include 3 IP failiovers.

Pretty shitty to advertise it that way, then change it after people have bought it.

• earlearl Member

@lbft said: Pretty shitty to advertise it that way, then change it after people have bought it.

That would royally piss me off!! I would have bought the deal just because of the 3 IP's being included..

edited March 2013

@lbft said: Pretty shitty to advertise it that way, then change it after people have bought it.

Likely it was a copypasta error from the previous BHS special. Personally I wasn't even going to use the IPs, and I think it's still an awesome deal even without them.

• @goexodus said: who bought the yearly plan from .fr site confirm the 1+3 Free IPs

I sent a email and still waiting for a reply. I have a print of the offer but no screen shot.

• herbyscrubherbyscrub Member
    edited March 2013

Super off topic, but did anyone else get into the dedicated cloud beta? I got the email yesterday and got it provisioned. Pretty beastly setup they give out. Two hosts(2x8 core AMD 4284+32GB ram), 2x600GB datastores and a /28. Local datastores are Intel X25M 120GB SSD with 70GB free. Low, low price of $700 per month!

• earlearl Member

@herbyscrub said: Super off topic, but did anyone else get into the dedicated cloud beta?

I saw that at the ovh.ca site.. I was going to sign up but not sure what to do with that much power!!lol

• @herbyscrub said: Intel X25M

Are these still sold? It's a very old model.

• Do they offer a money-back guarantee ? It seems they are rather slow in responding to presales questions and I would hate to miss this opportunity. Thanks all !

• @wlambrechts said: Do they offer a money-back guarantee ? It seems they are rather slow in responding to presales questions and I would hate to miss this opportunity. Thanks all !

No

• earlearl Member

Just found put that OVH Canada, the price is inclusive of the 3 fail over IP..

edited March 2013

@earl said: that OVH Canada, the price is inclusive of the 3 fail over IP..

You mean... these? Sure, seems that is correct, but they are no 9.99 EUR/mo, too.
    Not a bad deal at $39 for "Intel Core i3 2130 3.4GHz, 8 GB RAM, 2x 1TB SATA2" though.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited March 2013

Did I just beat the record for having the oldest drive here?

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   088   088   000    Old_age   Always       -       10827

dd seems to be OK though

dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/zerofile bs=1M count=1024 conv=fdatasync
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.36497 s, 115 MB/s

And model:

Device Model:     ST31000524AS

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

@rm_ said: You mean... these?

Yup..

Also the KS servers are limited to just 4 IP's, the SP servers are limited to 36 total IP's and the EG and MG servers are limited to 132 IP's

In order to purchase the "ARIN IP Failover block" you need to subscribe to the extended features option which cost you $20 p/m, and the IP has a setup fee of $1/IP but after that the IP's are your to keep there is no more monthly fee associated except for the $20 p/m regardless of how many IP's you own.

@rm_ said: but they are no 9.99 EUR/mo, too

Unfortunately they don't have the kimsufi brand in Canada, they are trying to position themselves as a premium host compared to a budget one, so it's strictly OVH only offerings.

On the good side they have 24/7 telephone support I called them this morning and someone actually answered the phone!!

@earl said: they don't have the kimsufi brand in Canada

Not entirely true, look at the URL I linked to; also it's called "KS", pretty transparent.

• earlearl Member

@rm_ said: Not entirely true, look at the URL I linked to; also it's called "KS", pretty transparent.

haha.. yes that's true!

Actually i was so impressed with all the bells and whistles that my mks2g came with, that I was thinking about singing up for the ks1/ks2, I think this is a better route than doing the colo for sure..

• swsnyderswsnyder Member
    edited March 2013

@zhuanyi

No, I've got you beat. From the offer that this thread is discussing:

9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 087 087 000 Old_age Always - 11758

Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
    Device Model: ST31000524AS

• My UnixBench on the N2800 Kimsufi is around 740, on the E2180 around 1350. That's a nice speed bump considering it's the same price and even includes an extra 500 GB of disk space.

• Model Family: Seagate Barracuda (SATA 3Gb/s, 4K Sectors)
    Device Model: ST1000DM003-9YN162
    Power_On_Hours 0x0032 089 089 000 Old_age Always - 9646

Drive is faster too, age is OK.