Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH - It's back - dedicated server for 12€ a month - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH - It's back - dedicated server for 12€ a month

Comments

• It was zero in my case and now i am located in Florida. Where are u located?

I'm in Seattle, Washington - I even tried three times.

• @nickvanw said: I'm in Seattle, Washington - I even tried three times.

You should create a newNic first, and send a support ticket inside the manager. Usually faster than just send an email.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@Bogdacutuu said: I thought the CPU was supposedly fixed on all Kimsufis :)

On regular ones the CPU is specified only vaguely ("Celeron/Atom") or with some variants ("Atom 230/D425, Atom 330/N2800", "1.2+ GHz, 1.6+ GHz"), see http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/
    But here you know the precise model number that you get.

• kalamkalam Member
    edited March 2013

@nickvanw You need to get VAT exempt status before you order. Make an account and open a ticket with them about getting VAT exempt. I've got a VAT exempt account on their .ie and .com sites (the .ie account was needed before they allowed Americans to have accounts on the .com -_- ). Even though the site is in French, they will still communicate in English with you. I also live in Washington State by the way.

• earlearl Member

@rm_ said: now you get less RAM and less disk, but CPU is many times better

For me I would install proxmox on it so I would prefer more ram and disk space compared to the faster processor, I think it is too much sacrifice in the new deal just to have the faster CPU?

• earlearl Member

@nickvanw said: I'm in Seattle, Washington - I even tried three times.

From the time you request support to remove VAT from your account and actually getting your server be prepared to wait 5-7 days. It seems support only answers every other day!!

I signed up in the kimsufi.ie and it seems the branch I'm dealing with is in Ireland so it's in English.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2013

When you do some math, this is a really excellent deal.
    E2180 is a 65W processor. Add a HDD, motherboards, RAM and some power supply conversion loss and it easily gets to at least 90W for the whole system.
    OVH has a very good PUE of 1.1, so it totals to about 100W for the system + cooling.
    100W x 720 hours = 72 kWh per month.
    OVH must be getting some very good electricity price to be able to offer this for 12EUR/month with bandwidth, IP, support, etc. all included.

edited March 2013

@earl said: For me I would install proxmox on it so I would prefer more ram and disk space compared to the faster processor, I think it is too much sacrifice in the new deal just to have the faster CPU?

I do not think so; the CPU is literally about 4 times faster.
    Even if you had gobs of RAM and disk, would you really achieve much with Proxmox on a 1.8 GHz single-core Atom D425 (ok, at least it's with HT)?
    The previous deal was awesome as a backup server, this one is good for many more uses, including Web/DB and game servers.

• @earl said: install proxmox

You can't run kvm as it's don't support Intel VT :(

edited March 2013

So I got one, little bit disappointed that the HDD wasn't new (9575 hours = 398 days).
    What's everyone's HDD-luck if anyone else is getting this?

# smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Power_On
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   090   090   000    Old_age   Always       -       9577
  • @rm_ What's the model of the hdd and a dd test please

thank you

• earlearl Member

@rm_ said: The previous deal was awesome as a backup server, this one is good for many more uses, including Web/DB and game servers.

That is true.. you know I was thinking about buying a server from ebay for about $300 and colo at WII for $40/m, but looking at this deal not sure it's worth doing the colo?

what do you think, $300 for a 2x xeon L5420, 24-32GB ram 4x 74gb sas 15k @$300 + $40/m colo or the kimsufi deal @ $155 USD /yr? it's just for a hobby site maybe a small forum..

@wahyan said: You can't run

kvm as it's don't support Intel VT :(

unless you need windows or BSD, OVZ is much better I think..

• @rm_ said: 9575 hours

mine is 9064 :(

edited March 2013

@camarg

What's the model of the hdd and a dd test please

ST1000DM003-9YN162

dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/zerofile bs=1M count=1024 conv=fdatasync
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 7.10078 s, 151 MB/s
  • earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Power_On
    9 Power_On_Hours 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 38

Does that mean mine is a new HD?

dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -fr iotest
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 11.0867 s, 96.8 MB/s

dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/zerofile bs=1M count=1024 conv=fdatasync
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 10.4462 s, 103 MB/s

• @rm_ this is a good disk, fast. You can check the remaining warranty on www.seagate.com

• lbftlbft Member
    edited March 2013

Crap, they've changed the page to remove the mention of 3 free additional IPv4, now it says:

IP Failover en option *
    * : 1.00 € HT /mois/ IP (soit 1.20 € TTC)(dans la limite de 3 IP supplémentaires)

• damn

Very nice offer, with a decent cpu
    But I'm bored as hell to transfer my n2800 based mKS 2G

edited March 2013

@earl said: what do you think, $300 for a 2x xeon L5420, 24-32GB ram 4x 74gb sas 15k @$300 + $40/m colo or the kimsufi deal @ $155 USD /yr? it's just for a hobby site maybe a small forum..

This sounds like something that can be easily run on a $15/year VPS :)
    But certainly $40/mo for Colo only seems too expensive. There are whole dedicated server offers for about that price, or less.

@earl said: 9 Power_On_Hours 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 38
    Does that mean mine is a new HD?

Yes it's got only 38 hours powered on, so a fresh HDD. Seems to be a bit slower than mine, but that might be due to us running the test differently (try my command-line). Also check what is your HDD model (smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Model), maybe it's different.

• earlearl Member

smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Model
    Device Model: TOSHIBA DT01ACA050

I did both DD test in my previous post, still seems your seagate is better I have seagate in my current server from WII and it's pretty fast!

@rm_ said: But certainly $40/mo for Colo only seems too expensive to me.

There are whole dedicated server offers for about that price, or less.

Yeah the only issue with colo is I'm pretty much stuck paying for the server, renting a dedi I can cancel anytime, but it has 24-32GB of RAM!! also 15k SAS with HW RAID controller

• earlearl Member

@lbft said: Crap, they've changed the page to remove the mention of 3 free additional IPv4, now it says:

you're right.. that was the reason I was going to sign up for this! now not sure it's worth it...

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited March 2013

i guess it's how one value the location. ovh's oversea capability is not really the best, compare to where I used to live(which is 2 hours drive from BHS) I am be all over it... too bad somehow I missed it :(

• So I got one, little bit disappointed that the HDD wasn't new (9575 hours = 398 days).

your hard drive is fairly new when you compare it to the HD's on the 12GB RAM i7-930 I picked up from a Hetzner auction earlier this week (37 euros excluding VAT)

smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Power_On

9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 074 074 000 Old_age Always - 23145
    smartctl -a /dev/sdb | grep Power_On
    9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 074 074 000 Old_age Always - 23145

• twaintwain Member

If by any chance they are using desktop grade HDD's, then I'd MUCH rather have a ~10000 hr proven HDD with no SMART errors or pending/reallocated sectors, than a new one.

• As a side note, because some people mentioned it.
    You can run KVM despite don't having VT instructions, you just need to disable the feature in the proxmox panel.

• twaintwain Member

@yomero said: You can run KVM despite don't having VT instructions, you just need to disable the feature in the proxmox panel.

I think you mean you can still run Proxmox -> OpenVZ (you will not be able to run KVM without VT extensions)

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

@twain said: you will not be able to run KVM without VT extensions

Oh yes you can, it will use QEMU which is full emulation of the CPU, this more overhead thus slower. The KVM CPU extensions were made for KVM to run on native speed (64-bit)

As the saying is about KVM: if it's slow, hardware will make it fast

• Sorry as this might seem a very easy question... I just can't seem to find an answer...

If I purchased such a dedicated server: how could I install Windows server on it? Can I mount an iso somewhere ? Can I use my own license ?

Thank you

• hyaohyao Member

@earl: I've always have my doubts about colocation. If your requirements could be met by renting a dedi, that seems like the route to take.

And if you're thinking of hosting forums etc., I agree with @rm_'s suggestion: buy some vps and craft some HA solutions. :-)

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

If I purchased such a dedicated server: how could I install Windows server on it? Can I mount an iso somewhere ? Can I use my own license ?

Open Manager v3 or MoM app then:
    dedicated servers > services > reinstall > windows > basic > ...