Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Donation Based VPS Organization - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Donation Based VPS Organization

Comments

• @goexodus said: Whats wrong with that !!!

Depends where you come from ;-)

• DestroyeRCoDestroyeRCo Member
    edited March 2013

If the price to get "upgrades" is lower than the 7 bucks to get 4GB here in the "LET - BATTLE OF PRICES" I'll give it a try :)

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@shovenose I appreciate that. Working on setting up Vanilla and a domain for this idea. Also setting up a North Carolina Node.

• hyaohyao Member

@agoldenberg: Good idea. I'm glad to offer some tech support.

So here we go: http://eastcoastvps.org/

Feel free to register and start putting in requests.

I called it EastCoastVPS because that's where all my nodes are at the moment.

As things grow, I will likely register a new domain and expand nodes outward.

I also made them all east coast so that I and any staff I bring on can support you in our time zone.

I'll be online for the rest of the day setting up VPS requests, so let me know if you have any questions.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited March 2013

I think this is a noble idea, but I have to agree that you're using the word "donations" to mean something it isn't supposed to mean and so things are coming across as slightly dishonest -- even though I know that isn't your intention.

I would suggest you call it what it is -- a not-for-profit service -- and just say that people can upgrade from the free tier by paying for resources at-cost. I suspect you'd get a better reception that way.

@Dylan that is exactly what I meant lol! I just phrased it wrong hehe.

Updated main post to reflect.

• Depends where you come from ;-)

CANADA hey

Yup! Ottawa <--- The Capital.

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

anyway good luck

will send a request ,,,

• Vancouver here

Went with EastCoastVPS.org because it's accurate as to the locations of the servers, and it's a Not for Profit Organization.

@DestroyeRCo You're welcome to :D

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    To make a request please post the following in a new thread:

Your Full Name:
    Your E-Mail Address:

Why? Just have people open a WHMCS (or whatever support system you use) ticket.

Posting my full legal name and email address (hello spam!) in a public forum...no.

You can PM it if that's an issue. I'm not setting up WHMCS because I'm not automating this in any way. I don't want people to be able to register without any form of verification.

• @agoldenberg said: I'm not setting up WHMCS because I'm not automating this in any way. I don't want people to be able to register without any form of verification.

You can still setup WHMCS?

• @raindog308 said: Posting my full legal name and email address (hello spam!) in a public forum...no.

^ Yep.

@concerto49 I'm trying to keep costs as far down as I can. I'm not going to add a monthly expense for a billing system for free servers.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2013

So I am just curious, are you going to be a legally registered not for profit business with a privacy policy? So I know when I register and send you money that 1. I can take a tax deduction based on my donations and 2. you will keep my private information private?

I am not saying that your intention is to take advantage of people, but often times these types of situations sound like information mining. You get my personal information, I get a free server, and I never know what exactly you are doing with my information. Maybe you are reselling my name, address, email etc to other businesses for spam purposes to make money on the side? Without you being some type of registered entity with the correct legal privacy policy in place, who can I hold accountable if my information does end up in the hands of spammers/scammers... even if by 'accident'?

I know you are coming at this like you want to help the community, and this may well be the case, but with some people you just never know and with no legal documents backing this up..... it just seems shady. Maybe if I was your high school buddy and we were good friend, sure I would donate a few bucks for a mutual server and not really be concerned but you are asking complete strangers to do this. As well you are asking them for their personal information and have no explanation of how you are storing it, hell your not even going to use WHMCS.

In reality I wish you good luck, but I can tell you that most of the people you are going to get are going to be teenagers with little to no money who don't care about their privacy and likely will provide you fake information. These types usually are abusive as they will claim to not know what they are doing.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

• IshaqIshaq Member

I don't like the idea of posting your info in public.

I understand your concerns, and if this is a legitimate concern of yours then don't sign up.

I'm sorry but I'm not interested in stealing people's information or selling it. I'm a pretty charitible person and as I've said over and over, I'm not using WHMCS because I don't want your personal information.

The information requested is simply to create the VPS client account. That is all.

I really don't care who signs up in terms of age demographic. As I already stated I'm not looking to make a ton of money.

This is simply a community driven shared set of servers as I've seen people do on here before. The server will be split between users.

If you don't like that, then nobody is forcing you. This is simply for people to trust me and get something that they would normally have to pay for.

In canada, not for profits are not tax deductible. I'm not running a charity (which is tax deductible.)

Again if you don't like the idea, you're not forced to use the services.

@ishaq you can PM it to me on the EastCoastVPS.org forums if you like.

• @TheLinuxBug said: So I am just curious, are you going to be a legally registered not for profit business with a privacy policy? So I know when I register and send you money that 1. I can take a tax deduction based on my donations

I think you're confusing not-for-profit with charitable. There are thousands of not-for-profit organizations, very few are registered charities. Only a registered charity can issue you a receipt for tax purposes.

• @agoldenberg

What I do for the requests is tell MyBB to only show threads in the requests section to the owner of the thread and admins/moderators. (using the "Can only view own threads" option in the permissions settings for user groups other than admins/moderators)

• IshaqIshaq Member

@agoldenberg said: @ishaq you can PM it to me on the EastCoastVPS.org forums if you like.

I personally don't need one. Just an idea. Nothing against you personally. But you have to know others might watch your forums, and don't have the same mind as you.

• @agoldenberg said: Ottawa <--- The Capital.

No comment.

@ishaq fair enough, but as I said it can be sent via PM as well. Will add that notation to the thread for interested parties.

• @agoldenberd in the site config, in the title, can you add <script>alert('menono');</script>

kthanks