Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DediDirect $20 Dedicated Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DediDirect $20 Dedicated Server

edanedan Member
edited May 2016 in Reviews

Just snap the $20 box from DediDirect. Advertised specs:

They will upgrade the box free of charge upon request but its based on your luck.

RAM and HDD upgrade:

The memory upgrade is a random available, upgrade depending on the convenience for us. You may make a request and see if we can hook you up prior to ordering.

As for the I/O if you're system comes with a 500GB disk it's just a normal SATAII HDD. You can make a request for a system with a 1TB W.D Enterprise RE4 drive which will have better I/O.

How about my box?

A few hours ago I ask them if willing to upgrade the storage to 2x500GB HDD instead of 16GB RAM, and surprisingly they tell me if I will got an awesome upgrade, I got last stock for this config:

• E3-1230
  • 16GB DDR3 Memory
  • 2 x 1TB RE4 Enterprise Disks
  • 20TB Premium BW
  • 1Gbps Port
  • 5 IP

Actually I want to ask, "with or without power? " but decided to test it later.

And the server deployed a few hours after order. Try login and successful, thanks God its powered... and yes its E3. I feel blessed...

The server deployed as Raid 1.

System Info
-----------
Processor       : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz
CPU Cores       : 8
Frequency       : 1600.000 MHz
Memory          : 15941 MB
Swap            : 8031 MB
Uptime          : 19 min,

OS              : CentOS release 6.7 (Final)
Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
Kernel          : 2.6.32-573.26.1.el6.x86_64
Hostname        : E3-09

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
---------------------
Your public IPv4 is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Location                Provider        Speed
CDN                     Cachefly        6.13MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          39.6MB/s
Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       9.07MB/s
Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       7.37MB/s
San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       7.44MB/s
Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       10.5MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          5.61MB/s
Singapore               Softlayer       5.23MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         3.55MB/s
Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        4.45MB/s

Disk Speed
----------
I/O (1st run)   : 126 MB/s
I/O (2nd run)   : 126 MB/s
I/O (3rd run)   : 127 MB/s
Average I/O     : 126.333 MB/s

Simple ioping:

ioping -c 10 /
4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/mapper/vg-root): request=1 time=160 us
4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/mapper/vg-root): request=2 time=143 us
4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/mapper/vg-root): request=3 time=168 us
4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/mapper/vg-root): request=4 time=143 us
4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/mapper/vg-root): request=5 time=172 us
4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/mapper/vg-root): request=6 time=144 us
4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/mapper/vg-root): request=7 time=116 us
4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/mapper/vg-root): request=8 time=150 us
4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/mapper/vg-root): request=9 time=170 us
4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/mapper/vg-root): request=10 time=170 us

--- / (ext4 /dev/mapper/vg-root) ioping statistics ---
10 requests completed in 9.0 s, 6.5 k iops, 25.4 MiB/s
min/avg/max/mdev = 116 us / 153 us / 172 us / 16 us

HDDs:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Western Digital Caviar Black
Device Model:     WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0
Serial Number:    WD-WCAW31455598
LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee 2b04e8f70
Firmware Version: 05.01D05
User Capacity:    1,000,204,886,016 bytes [1.00 TB]

Hopefully they can add Rescue System sooner.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Everyone says, there Stuff is Premium, "Premium BW"

Can they prove, that its REALY Premium BW ?

Thanked by 2theroyalstudent GCat
  • @edan said:

• E3-1230
    • 16GB DDR3 Memory
    • 2 x 1TB RE4 Enterprise Disks
    • 20TB Premium BW
    • 1Gbps Port
    • 5 IP

I'd probably drop my online.net box in a heart beat for that, you were very lucky indeed.

Thanked by 1edan
  • edanedan Member

@Neoon said:
    Everyone says, there Stuff is Premium, "Premium BW"

Can they prove, that its REALY Premium BW ?

"Premium" according to this https://www.google.com/search?q=premium+dictionary

1. an amount to be paid for an insurance policy.
    2. a sum added to an ordinary price or charge.

So its seem close to "Guaranteed BW".

Umcookies said: I'd probably drop my online.net box in a heart beat for that, you were very lucky indeed.

Perhaps this is the cheapest E3 server in US.

• Lucky you @edan. :D

Thanked by 1edan
  • roronarorona Member

Highly not recommend dedidirect.

The company is a one-man job ran by Vee.
    Support tickets were normally responded in 1-2 weeks time.
    There is NO IPMI and NO REMOTE POWER (at the time I rented these L5420, may be things changed), and reboot ticket takes from 1-14 days.
    The monthly rent was cheap, so I stayed on.

I rented a few servers and BYOD some 4TB drives.
    When I finally cancelled the last server with Dedidirect, and asked for the drive to be ship back, Vee did some sales talk for 2 weeks to try to make me stay.

I decided no, and ask to proceed with shipping, and Vee took 2 weeks to quote me shipping cost. Then another week to generate an invoice.

After I paid $150, there was nothing from him for 5 weeks, which he replied "I had to leave for emergency for a week".

Then 2 more weeks of nothing, I warned him I will dispute with Paypal.
    I waited yet another 2 weeks, and did dispute with Paypal.
    Too bad Paypal say it is not enough proof that it was for "goods" hence denied the dispute.

Don't deal with this shit provider.

Thanked by 2edan Stephen
  • GCatGCat Member

This review was sponsored by DediDirect - because when we are getting poorer, we pull a paid review

• @GCat said:
    This review was sponsored by DediDirect - because when we are getting poorer, we pull a paid review

Which one?

• edanedan Member

@budi1413 said:
    Lucky you @edan. :D

But it will idle for sometimes :)

@GCat said:

I am not that poor. Trust me :)

• XenosXenos Member

It would be wise to search Dedidirect on WHT before ordering.

Thanked by 2GCat edan
  • edanedan Member
    edited May 2016

@rorona said:
    Highly not recommend dedidirect.

@Xenos said:
    It would be wise to search Dedidirect on WHT before ordering.

Well its just $20/m anyway and I will not put somethings critical on it.

Everyone has their own experiences, and I just started to use his services so I can not judge whether it is good or bad.

• HWAYSHWAYS Member

So far and I am happy with Dedidirect as well.

Thanked by 1edan
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I suggest everyone to be very careful with this deal.

It is too good to be true and they are renting space from other ISPs, don't own the space or the network.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Will never do any kind of business with Vee. He's sketchy as hell and like others have said here, tickets can take weeks of not months to get handled.

• @Nyr said:
    I suggest everyone to be very careful with this deal.

It is too good to be true and they are renting space from other ISPs, don't own the space or the network.

Haha Dedi "Direct"...direct to what? A reseller?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

agoldenberg said: Will never do any kind of business with Vee. He's sketchy as hell and like others have said here, tickets can take weeks of not months to get handled.

And this man vouches for VolumeDrive, so when he says to stay away from someone you should probably listen ;)

• seraphkzseraphkz Member
    edited May 2016

I've done business with Vee for the past few years. PERSONALLY I really like the guy, and he has worked with me on giving me a few killer deals.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2016

@seraphkz said:
    I've done business with Vee for the past few years. PERSONALLY I really like the guy, and he has worked with me on giving me a few killer deals.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent

@jarland at least @VolumeDrive responds in an hour or so lol! Vee it's weeks.

• @agoldenberg said:

What about uptime and reliability ?

@junkless aside from the one time they went down for a day or so just before Delimiter did they've been solid for me. YMMV

Thanked by 1rdes
  • DediDirectDediDirect Member
    edited May 2016

agoldenberg's was a client for two days. Don't take anything he says serious. The guy ordered a server thinking it was a "trial" and asked for a refund on a service we spent money setting up and was angered when we denied the request. Full chat log available for you guys to read for entertainment :)

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1275252 - I just read through this thread again, nobody agreed with this joke. He's the one no one wants to do business with lol.

Thanked by 1HWAYS
  • Also we do not resell, we own all our servers. Unfortunately we cannot afford to own the datacenters that cost millions and millions to build. Just like 99% of the hosts out there, we rent space inside the datacenters.

Thanked by 1edan
  • @agoldenberg said:

Can't be weeks. You ordered a server once and asked for a refund, ordered another one weeks later and asked for a refund. You were a customer for 2 days and I can prove it, you don't have to lie to be cool or heard.

• edanedan Member
    edited May 2016

Perhaps it was just a misunderstanding from both side so please let the past stay in the past for everyone goodness.

I am more interested in DediDirect 2016 :) like trying to improve the client features.. eg. rescue system.

Thanked by 2HWAYS netomx
  • I agree :) Just defending myself from his false accusations that nobody agreed with him on from the other forum. Hope you enjoy @edan - Perhaps a followup months later to clear things up here for the readers.

Thanked by 1edan
  • hotsnowhotsnow Veteran

that config sounds incredible, you're lucky...

• The customer ordered a Dual Quad L5420 and asked if we can give him a free upgrade to dual disk as he saw some users were getting free upgrades in another thread. I told him I would be able to hook him up with 2 x 1TB. However, after checking I couldn't find an already configureded Dual L5420, I couldn't disappoint my customer after promising so I gave him a free upgrade to the next config machine that met what I promised.

Thanked by 1edan
  • hotsnowhotsnow Veteran

@DediDirect said:
    The customer ordered a Dual Quad L5420 and asked if we can give him a free upgrade to dual disk as he saw some users were getting free upgrades in another thread. I told him I would be able to hook him up with 2 x 1TB. However, after checking I couldn't find an already configureded Dual L5420, I couldn't disappoint my customer after promising so I gave him a free upgrade to the next config machine that met what I promised.

perfect, but seems I always can't get such lucky :(

• edanedan Member

@DediDirect said:
    Hope you enjoy @edan

Yes I will :)

hotsnow said: that config sounds incredible, you're lucky...

Its like when I got KS-1 with fresh 2TB HDD, yes lucky indeed.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@DediDirect said:
    The customer ordered a Dual Quad L5420 and asked if we can give him a free upgrade to dual disk as he saw some users were getting free upgrades in another thread. I told him I would be able to hook him up with 2 x 1TB. However, after checking I couldn't find an already configureded Dual L5420, I couldn't disappoint my customer after promising so I gave him a free upgrade to the next config machine that met what I promised.

If you get any deal like that, I will order!