Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode 128MB plan retirement - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode 128MB plan retirement

Comments

• @david_W said:
    Just checked, $15/y plan no longer available on Ramnode's site.

:( I was going to buy one with the old discount just for the sake of having a Ramnode VPS, but got completely sidetracked with work.

• kaflokaflo Member

it was good while it lasted

• I've got three and plan to hang on to them as long as I can.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Meant to get one in NL, forgot.

Farewell, 128MB plan, we'll all remember you.

Farewell, top spot in providers poll??????

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul lbft
  • sinsin Member

hugs my Ramnode 128mb

Thanked by 1sandro
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

Bought one in NL just in time!

Farewell, $15/Yr 128MB plan. You will be missed.

• SadySady Member

I feel bad now for not being a RamNode customer.

Thanked by 1sandro
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Sady said:

You can start right now, I'm sure they've got room for you.

• SadySady Member

@Nekki said:

@Sady said:

You can start right now, I'm sure they've got room for you.

I know but have no need of any new invoices.

Thanked by 1sandro
  • laticlatic Member, Host Rep

Sad to see these 64/128 plans going away now. When HTTPZoom originally brought these to the market I thought the idea was kinda stupid and wouldn't work, now they are pretty much the staple LET product.

IPV6 + Nat'd IPV4 probably is the way to go.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@latic said:
    Sad to see these 64/128 plans going away now. When HTTPZoom originally brought these to the market I thought the idea was kinda stupid and wouldn't work, now they are pretty much the staple LET product.

IPV6 + Nat'd IPV4 probably is the way to go.

Httpzoom did what?

Thanked by 2lbft rm_
  • I doubt this will push RamNode off the top of the Top Provider poll. They're still a very good provider and those who still have 128MB plans with them will likely hold on to them for a long time, given that that is the reason they're on top.

I also think this will just be the first of many discontinuations of 128MB plans. They're becoming less and less of this time, especially with RAM being so cheap and OS and software requiring increased amounts of resources. The original LowEnd, started about 8 years ago, was about 32/64MB VPS IIRC. If you look at the progress other providers have made RAM-wise since that time, you'd be ending up with about 256MB being that bottom right now.

• laticlatic Member, Host Rep

@Nekki, introduced ultra low budget. 64/128 etc. its how we started up

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2016

@latic said:
    @Nekki, introduced ultra low budget. 64/128 etc. its how we started up

You sure bro?

Edit: I just way backed and looks httpzoom was originally flogging 128MB plans for a couple quid a month in 2012, that what you mean?

• @TheOnlyDK said:

@hostnoob said:
    I think MariaDB uses the same folder

I did this on my phone, but I do believe I didn't miss anything.. There's only mysql-common directory and the rest starts mariadb and none of them have a examples directory in there. I will need to check further once I get home to see if it's in a different directory.

check this out https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/mysqld-configuration-files-and-groups/

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • Oh no! So that's what happened. I needed one of these servers this week!

What alternatives are there that's equivalent to their 128MB SSD-Cached servers in the US?

• @onedosfan said:
    Oh no! So that's what happened. I needed one of these servers this week!

What alternatives are there that's equivalent to their 128MB SSD-Cached servers in the US?

Not at that price point.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• onedosfan said: What alternatives are there that's equivalent to their 128MB SSD-Cached servers in the US?

Here's what you can get for $10. I've got an older deal from them which has been running fine for a long time.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

latic said: introduced ultra low budget. 64/128 etc. its how we started up

Who are "we", are you from HttpZoom? Seems like you only "used them for a while"?

If you mean LET/LEB, then don't get ahead of yourself, your "HttpZoom" in this scheme of things are just a random nobody, floating a few crappy offers in 2013, and if you want to find how it all started, then it'd be someone like VPSVillage with their 64 MB plan posted on the website -- on February 9, 2008, mere 8 days after lowendbox.com itself has been registered.

Thanked by 2Nekki lbft
  • akbakb Member
    edited April 2016

rm_ said: VPSVillage with their 64 MB plan posted on the website

Ah VPSVillage. You made me nostalgic. I was with them for a couple of years and Eric who ran the show is a wonderful chap. Unfortunately they changed course & I had to switch. There was lowend before lowendbox.com too. My first VPS in 2006-2007 was a $5/m 16MB UML instance which I later upgraded to 32MB for $7.50/m :-)

• lbftlbft Member

rm_ said: If you mean LET/LEB, then don't get ahead of yourself, your "HttpZoom" in this scheme of things are just a random nobody, floating a few crappy offers in 2013

And if he means cheap yearlies, they'd been around since at least 2010.

• akbakb Member

rm_ said: your "HttpZoom" in this scheme of things are just a random nobody, floating a few crappy offers in 2013

I have a VPS there too since 2013 or before and they have been ok as far as VPS uptime & price/spec ratio is concerned. I later upgraded my £8/yr 96mb plan to $15/yr 256mb special posted by @rmlhhd which was much sweeter. Support was quiet friendly & fast when James was behind it. Later for sometime I saw @rmlhhd answering my queries. But it has changed a little now after company changed hands (haven't had to contact much lately so can't really say for sure). VPS itself has been running smooth w/o any downtime at all.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

BuyVM were doing the 128mb/$15 year plan from August 2010, not sure if they were the first at that price point but they were certainly the first I remember.

Cheap yearly 64MBs weren't as common, but certainly they existed before HTTPZoom.

Thanked by 2lbft rm_
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2016

@Nekki said:
    BuyVM were doing the 128mb/$15 year plan from August 2010, not sure if they were the first at that price point but they were certainly the first I remember.

Cheap yearly 64MBs weren't as common, but certainly they existed before HTTPZoom.

We were the first to do it and last > 6 months. Most of the hosts that were doing plans that cheap were doing it as their death rattle and usually a desperate plea for funding to cover bills.

I'm sure you can go through the list of all the providers in 2010 doing the 128MB's and 99% are deadpooled.

For what it's worth we sent an email out to people last year documenting IP costs as well as what our plans are for plan availability. TL;DR - We aren't discontinuing anything unless it's to introduce something better priced (like the new KVM's). IP space is also price locked for all active customers for 2 - 3 years.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul user123
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Francisco said: For what it's worth we sent an email out to people last year documenting IP costs as well as what our plans are for plan availability. TL;DR - We aren't discontinuing anything unless it's to introduce something better priced (like the new KVM's). IP space is also price locked for all active customers for 2 - 3 years.

Slick Fran, nicely done.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Seems they restocked that 128M plan in NYC / ATL / SEA / LA one more time lol

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

kingpin said: Seems they restocked that 128M plan in NYC / ATL / SEA / LA one more time lol

It's been available for a while: https://clientarea.ramnode.com/announcements.php?id=407

• yomeroyomero Member

@Nick_A said:

kingpin said: Seems they restocked that 128M plan in NYC / ATL / SEA / LA one more time lol

It's been available for a while: https://clientarea.ramnode.com/announcements.php?id=407

But not the massive plans =(