Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode 128MB plan retirement - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode 128MB plan retirement

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@zafouhar said:
    Its a direct allocation/lease and no dedi is included.

Then the pricing will stay pretty good :) direct allocations are always very cheap especially if you're making the most of your pricing bracket.

If you had provider space then, well...

Francisco

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

CFarence said: Global IPv4 exhaustion unfortunately makes it difficult to continue offering these small VPSs at our current price point.

Oh how ironic...2 years ago it was "a free second IP for every VPS":

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/22433/ramnode-free-second-ip/p1

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • I should get one more for no reason..

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

I was just thinking about that. I shouldn't have cancelled that VPS of mine.

• I'm thinking about getting another one as well

• So how is the shift to IPv6 advancing given it has finally been realized that the IPv4 adresses are finite? Don't all the big providers start working towards IPv6 or is the world not ready yet? :P

• dccdcc Member, Host Rep

@Ympker said:
    So how is the shift to IPv6 advancing given it has finally been realized that the IPv4 adresses are finite? Don't all the big providers start working towards IPv6 or is the world not ready yet? :P

https://www.google.ca/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

Seems like ipv4 exhaustion had no effect on ipv6 adoption whatsoever. IPv6-only internet is still pretty much non-existent, unfortunately.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @dcc said:
    Seems like ipv4 exhaustion had no effect on ipv6 adoption whatsoever. IPv6-only internet is still pretty much non-existent, unfortunately.

IPv6 + IPv4 NAT is the future! Reduces the cost of an IP address, still allows customers with only ipv4 connections to connect, also allowing them to host whatever they want over ipv6, and maybe some ports on ipv4.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • dccdcc Member, Host Rep

@TheOnlyDK unfortunately ipv4 NAT creates a significant problem when it comes to abuse... For example, when someone sends spam, everyone on same IP is affected. Or when you get that IPv4 IP flooded/nullrouted, many users are affected.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • @dcc said:
    TheOnlyDK unfortunately ipv4 NAT creates a significant problem when it comes to abuse... For example, when someone sends spam, everyone on same IP is affected. Or when you get that IPv4 IP flooded/nullrouted, many users are affected.

That is true, but I thought it's possible to find out who actually did the harm and could punish that client. For DDOS and stuff, sure everyone will be affected, but at least they still have ipv6 up and running. I think of it as a IPv6 only VPS with freebie add-on of some ports of IPv4 that is just provided as is.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@dcc said:
    TheOnlyDK unfortunately ipv4 NAT creates a significant problem when it comes to abuse... For example, when someone sends spam, everyone on same IP is affected. Or when you get that IPv4 IP flooded/nullrouted, many users are affected.

Pretty simple, just block V4 mail ports for NAT services. No one is going to hold it against you if you're doing that. As for the DDOS, well, that's a bigger issue than I would give problems/solutions to ;)

Francisco

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited April 2016

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Really wanna get more, but don't know how to use these 128MB servers. Already have plenty... debating...

I'm playing with Pydio ATM. It's nice and works fine on the 128MB plan

Thanked by 2vimalware TheOnlyDK
  • @nocheers said:

ANY10 for cached plans

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Very nice of them to let current customers know beforehand.

I have zero need for a cheap OVZ but still want to buy one... I'll resist this time ;)

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited April 2016

Created a meme to mark the occasion @Nick_A

• As much as I love RamNode, this did cross my mind as well. I still have two 128MBs with a second free IPv4 and one with two additional free IPv4s.

Removing these plans and having people cancel eventually they will get their return on investment :-)

• I agree with this. It had to stop soon.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I'm interested to see if this move will finally topple Ramnode from the top of the providers poll...

Thanked by 2Nick_A linuxthefish
  • PandyPandy Member

nocheers said: Quote

Yeah i got the normal SSD version, but hopefully the ANY10 @hostnoob mentioned works

Anyway server running openvpn, still some ram left and speeds are amazing!

basically the same speed as i normally get, only lil bit higher ping (understandable)

i wonder how long the 500gb bw will last tho, as i watch alot of streams etc :P

• To be honest alot of smaller websites would work well on IPV6 only VPS's using cloudflare.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited April 2016

@TheOnlyDK said:
    IPv6 + IPv4 NAT is the future! Reduces the cost of an IP address, still allows customers with only ipv4 connections to connect, also allowing them to host whatever they want over ipv6, and maybe some ports on ipv4.

DON'T INSULT IPV4 LIKE THAT - IT IS THE BEST AND THE **ONLY** TYPE OF IP THAT WILL EXIST HAHAHA

/professionalism just went down the drain

Thanked by 3TheOnlyDK yomero cassa
  • What about arubacloud?
    1gb ram for 1.5$

• @doghouch said:
    DON'T INSULT IPV4 LIKE THAT - IT IS THE BEST AND THE ONLY TYPE OF IP THAT WILL EXIST HAHAHA

I mean.. you're not completely wrong. IPv6 is still a toy in the scheme of things, serious adoption is a long way out.

• Just grab another one ;)

• Nekki said: I'm interested to see if this move will finally topple Ramnode from the top of the providers poll...

Good point. I think there are a couple of others who are positioned to take their place. Not because they're necessarily better, but because they're fulfilling the LET $15 level slot really well.

I originally bought a 128 from RamNode based on their reputation here. At the time I thought that it was obvious that such a low end (and their lowest) offering would likely get dropped, but decided to take the chance. So here we are then. Here's hoping I'll be able to keep them for as long as I want.

• sinsin Member
    edited April 2016

I use one as a backup VPS and it has worked great! It has already saved me once.

• Added 2 more box, 1 in LA and 1 in NL for future pop usage :-)

RN has been the top-notch provider here for a long time :-)

• Thinking about getting one in LA and putting Guacamole on it.

• @Jack said:

1gb ram, 20 gb ssd, 2tb bw, vmware, intel cpu

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran