Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode 128MB plan retirement - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode 128MB plan retirement

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I think that people suggesting an IPv6-only offer doesn't understand the enormous amount of support workload generated by those services (among other non-desirable things for a business).

Thanked by 1dcc
  • zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited April 2016

@Nyr said:
    I think that people suggesting an IPv6-only offer doesn't understand the enormous amount of support workload generated by those services (among other non-desirable things for a business).

Yeah IPv6 is a mess at the moment, apps don't fully support it yet, documentation is scarce, people will not understand that if their ISP doesn't support IPv6 then they won't be able to view their site. IPv6 is I would say 5-10+ years still before ISP's look at it more seriously and start some serious adoption.

More and more providers will start discontinuing small plans or plans with multiple IP's in order to regain IP's, its the only way they'll survive in this market.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • @hostnoob said:
    I'm playing with Pydio ATM. It's nice and works fine on the 128MB plan

Just installed pydio on my 128MB ramnode with nginx + php fpm + mariadb, works fine but the ram usage is almost 95%. Do you get this or is there some optimisation that I need to do?

• @zafouhar said:
    More and more providers will start discontinuing small plans or plans with multiple IP's in order to regain IP's, its the only way they'll survive in this market.

Cloudflare.

• @Nyr said:

I think that people suggesting further delays of IPv6 adoption have poor disaster planning skills. IPv4 starting to dry up on low-end offers is yet another sign that the piper has to be paid one way or the other. While IPv6-only is not the right option for everyone, providers would be smart to update their plans to something future-proof (e.g., resource pools) so that a VPS is not necessarily tied to an IPv4 address.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • @TheOnlyDK said:
    Just installed pydio on my 128MB ramnode with nginx + php fpm + mariadb, works fine but the ram usage is almost 95%. Do you get this or is there some optimisation that I need to do?

I replace my.cnf with the my-small.cnf from the mysql-server docs

cd /etc/mysql/ && mv my.cnf my.cnf.bk && cp /usr/share/doc/mysql-server-5.5/examples/my-small.cnf my.cnf && /etc/init.d/mysql restart

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited April 2016

@hostnoob said:
    cd /etc/mysql/ && mv my.cnf my.cnf.bk && cp /usr/share/doc/mysql-server-5.5/examples/my-small.cnf my.cnf && /etc/init.d/mysql restart

Will give this a try once I get home, what's your free ram? Mine currently is 5MB, swap all used up. By the way, where do I get the my-small.cnf for mariadb 10.0?

impossiblystupid said: I think that people suggesting further delays of IPv6 adoption have poor disaster planning skills. IPv4 starting to dry up on low-end offers is yet another sign that the piper has to be paid one way or the other. While IPv6-only is not the right option for everyone, providers would be smart to update their plans to something future-proof (e.g., resource pools) so that a VPS is not necessarily tied to an IPv4 address.

I am not suggesting any delay on IPv6 adoption, quite the opposite. Still, I don't think that lacking IPv6 support is waiting for a disaster to happen. Hoarding/buying IPv4 is way more important at this time, like it or not.

Oh, and I don't think RamNode is interested in the low-end market anymore. Which is reasonable since their service has nothing to do with most of the crap which is usually offered here nowadays.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • @TheOnlyDK said:
    Will give this a try once I get home, what's your free ram? Mine currently is 5MB, swap all used up. By the way, where do I get the my-small.cnf for mariadb 10.0?

I think MariaDB uses the same folder

• @hostnoob said:
    I think MariaDB uses the same folder

I did this on my phone, but I do believe I didn't miss anything.. There's only mysql-common directory and the rest starts mariadb and none of them have a examples directory in there. I will need to check further once I get home to see if it's in a different directory.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    I did this on my phone, but I do believe I didn't miss anything.. There's only mysql-common directory and the rest starts mariadb and none of them have a examples directory in there. I will need to check further once I get home to see if it's in a different directory.

Ah I'm sorry I don't know, I don't use mariadb

But to answer your other question it's using 7MB RAM and 51MB Swap

The only problem so far is the Pydio Android app doesn't allow uploading multiple files (unless there's an option for it somewhere)

• @Nyr said:
    Hoarding/buying IPv4 is way more important at this time, like it or not.

I strongly disagree. That kind of market speculation is what ruins it for everyone. A better technical strategy is to have a plan in place to minimize your IPv4 footprint. That's essentially what RamNode is pressuring their customers to do, but I don't yet see them offering a product to do it (other than simply expecting them to buy a bigger server).

Oh, and I don't think RamNode is interested in the low-end market anymore. Which is reasonable since their service has nothing to do with most of the crap which is usually offered here nowadays.

You may be right. If the true story is less about IPv4 exhaustion and more about support overhead for their cheapest VPSes, though, I think the better approach would be to say so and adjust prices/resources accordingly. I'd much rather the price of a IPv4 address were broken out as a separate item (or, again, part of a resource pool package) rather than simply making it impossible to run a 128MB server.

impossiblystupid said: I strongly disagree.

You do because you don't have a business which depends on IPv4 availability. Neither do I, but if I did, I would be hoarding subnets while costs are still reasonable.

What I don't understand is why Nick doesn't just up $10 the price of those yearly plans. That could subsidize some new IP space and still bring in new customers.

impossiblystupid said: If the true story is less about IPv4 exhaustion and more about support overhead for their cheapest VPSes

I didn't mean this. What I wanted to say, is that cheap IPv6-only products usually create a higher support workload (for example, for users who don't even understand what did they just buy).

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

IPv4 is the issue, not support.

Nyr said: What I don't understand is why Nick doesn't just up $10 the price of those yearly plans. That could subsidize some new IP space and still bring in new customers.

You'd pay $25/yr for our 128MB plans?

• JustAMacUserJustAMacUser Member
    edited April 2016

@Nick_A said:

Even though this isn't directed at me... I would, yes. Your service is worth it.

(Mind you, I already have machines from you and I don't need anymore at the moment, but on princple I would certainly be willing to pay that if I needed another instance.)

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited April 2016

@JustAMacUser said:
    (Mind you, I already have machines from you and I don't need anymore at the moment, but on princple I would certainly be willing to pay that if I needed another instance.)

Even when the 256 MB VPS costs $28.80 per year?

• I guess what I'm saying that I would be okay if Nick adjusted his prices accordingly because I think the prices are low for the quality of service. Obviously if 128 MB was $3 less than 256 MB I would take the plan that provides more. I'm not completely insane. ;-)

Nick_A said: You'd pay $25/yr for our 128MB plans?

I wasn't aware that this is nearly what the 256MB plan costs.

I would still pay $20 for the 128MB though.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Nyr said: I would still pay $20 for the 128MB though.

I just did. Canadian dollar is low right now.

Thanked by 1Nick_A

Ole_Juul said: I just did. Canadian dollar is low right now.

No need to tell me! Got some CAD and AUD years ago which I never spent or exchange and they are now worth like half of what they were.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • @Nick_A said:

The only real question is what the cost of the IPv4 address is. You seem to list them as "extras" for $1.50/month currently. Is that price going to go up soon, too, or has it already been adjusted? Just make it a separate line item for all plans and everybody will know what they're getting. Nobody should fault you if the main cost for a 128MB VPS is the market price of an IPv4 address, but we would still like to see you offer your great services via only IPv6.

• stabstab Member

Ramnode is my personal #1, but I don't use any of their 128MB boxes. I do run my most crucial production servers with them however.

Thanked by 2Nick_A sandro
  • XeiXei Member
    edited April 2016

@Nick_A i need the cut off date please :P i wanna order one at the last minute cause i have nothing to use it for. to idle with my other two :"p though one has nginx the other has znc.. so that's something!

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • XeiXei Member

@Nyr said:
    I would still pay $20 for the 128MB though.

I'd love to get the 256MB one for $25. That would be such a slick deal... can I get a personal lifetime coupon? :P lol

• BradBrad Member

@Xei said:

$25.92 USD Annually with coupon SSD10

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited April 2016

@Brad said:
    $25.92 USD Annually with coupon SSD10

Or with coupon any10 for all plans.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@impossiblystupid - We seldom assign extra IPs anymore. That price is there for the rare occasion someone has a true technical need for a second IP. The 128MB's do have a certain support / abuse overhead to factor in, but the main reason we will discontinue the product is the price.

• kaflokaflo Member

Got to hold on to my lone 128 then hehe.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • NihimNihim Member

As will I :p Though I actively use it so there wouldn't be any reason to drop it anyhow.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Just checked, $15/y plan no longer available on Ramnode's site.