Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone ever colo? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone ever colo?

Comments

• hyaohyao Member
    edited February 2013

I see @earl's "renting a dedi from wholesaleinternet", but thanks for the Dacentec link. As some VPS providers on LET is using Dacentec and seem to be happy with services, it should be enough for me to sell VPS from.

@pubcrawler: thanks for the advice on DC locations. Yes, I suppose I'll also be serving customers from Asia, so I'm looking for dedicated servers from US west coast.

From my limited experience, as long as you're using an Ok DC in the US (or even Canada), the ping time is usually < 100ms?

@MonsteR said: After all that has been said here still trying to sell Dacentec :), I give up good luck to whom ever is looking for a budget server with 20/Kb/s port speeds

I've been reading LET for quite a while though I only joined recently, but Dacentec is definitely not a 20/Kb/s provider; and actually I don't understand what you mean.

Is @earl a Dacentec reseller? I think he's just trying to help fellow LET readers.

• @hyao, ping of 100ms from where?

Not too rare in the US to see 100ms pings from West to East Coast locations. Should be much lower.. Like 60ms.

But total backbone chaos, congestion and poor routing in the US.

100ms from Asaia? No way. Don't think you can server Asian customers from California with 100ms latency. Probably more like 140ms+

• BTW @hyao, I get 200ms+ currently from Singapore to Fiberhub in Las Vegas (BuyVM).

• @pubcrawler: ping of < 100ms from two locations within US; like you said: 60ms

• from US to Asia, 200ms is what I expect

• I wouldn't bank on 60ms between say California and New York or California and Miami. It is hit or miss and depends on upstream providers and routing.

Before selecting any provider for colo or dedicated, poke around at provider looking glass testing various end points on different networks.

• @pubcrawler: You're right. Any dedicated server offers from Singapore you know of?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@MonsteR said: After all that has been said here still trying to sell Dacentec :), I give up good luck to whom ever is looking for a budget server with 20/Kb/s port speeds, Slow drives and bad support.

• Never waited more than 15 minutes for a support ticket that mattered.
    • 20Kbps port speed is a lie. The network isn't as good as it was when we started there, but it's far from terrible. Work with your datacenter, don't just up and run away.
    • Slow disks? Not the 1TB drives.

Obviously there's some conversation to be had about network but it was better, it'll be better again.

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5420 @ 2.50GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency : 2003.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 15914 MB
    Total amount of swap : 15999 MB
    System uptime : 108 days, 13:46,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 5.72MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 7.97MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 5.95MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.15MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 3.70MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 2.50MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 857KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 11.8MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 7.51MB/s
    I/O speed : 232 MB/s

And to answer your question before you ask it, yes I resell out of Dacentec.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

@jarland For some it is better to learn while doing instead of reading, I understand this but when you post about their network and hardware don't expect any sympathy. Also 20Kb/s is what I got from a CDN when I was testing there network after issue after issue with their network speeds.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

In fact this was from there support with there exact words

Yes I explained the issues with port speed and they have issued a full refund.

Thank You,

edited February 2013

@MonsteR said: For some it is better to learn while doing instead of reading, I understand this but when you post about their network and hardware don't expect any sympathy. Also 20Kb/s is what I got from a CDN when I was testing there network after issue after issue with their network speeds.

Well I just ran that. I'm sorry about your experience with 20kb/s results, but I have never had that result from my server there. The clients on this server are very happy with the performance of the hardware and the network. Keep in mind that no matter where you go, someone has a bad story to tell about it.

Just ran cachefly again and got 25mb/s. Could be better, I'll bring this up with them.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

@jarland said: Just ran cachefly again and got 25mb/s.

from my experience from catchefly it should be at least 60Mb/s on a 1Gbit port, even though cachefly isn't very reliable.

@MonsteR said: Alone from m experience from catchefly it should be at least 60Mb/s on a 1Gbit port, even though cachefly is unreliable.

I agree. However, pricing is a factor as well. There's a reason my overhead in Dallas is 6x what it is in Lenoir.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

@jarland said: There's a reason my overhead in Dallas is 6x what it is in Lenoir.

Well incero does have a nice network, But yet again corexchanges bandwidth isn't bad either. ;)

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@MonsteR said: Umm ...

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/7780/your-dacentec-disk-speed
    about 60+ comments on there.

That discussion is based on a bad drive or just old hardware which I think it was wrong of Dacentec to use since it's probably not worth the time it did seem that Dacentec was complying with the clients request and in the end after all the time wasted on replacement drives and testing ,the client did receive a full refund!

While I'm not disputing the fact that you may have had a bad experience with Dacentec to say your experience should be reflective of all Dacentec current and future clients is somewhat unfair, all budget / lowend provider will have their fare share of bad reviews some is based on unreal expectations of what a client expects from a budget host, but I think in this respect Dacentec have always made an effort to help with their clients request it's not like they are blatantly ignoring support tickets and they seem to gladly give you a refund if your not satisfied. While I do agree that network may not be the greatest it's was never as bad as 20kb/s. If it was truly that bad for everyone I'm sure a lot of clients will leaving in Drones..

@Jarland

Thanks for Chiming in I knew some was happy with Dacentec!

@hyao said: I see @earl's "renting a dedi from wholesaleinternet", but thanks for the Dacentec link. As some VPS providers on LET is using Dacentec and seem to be happy with services, it should be enough for me to sell VPS from.

Actually Datashack and WII is also a good budget host, not sure if anyone have used their services to sell VPS's or not but I know a LET member on here who did sell Shared hosting of a Datashack Dedi cause they do include a free Directadmin license with your server.. anyhow good luck to you let us know who you went with when you do find a provider.

edited February 2013

@earl said: Thanks for Chiming in I knew some was happy with Dacentec!

I ticketed today about the route to Seattle. You can see from my speed test that it's horrible. It goes to Atlanta, straight hop to Dallas, to Denver, straight hop to Seattle. This was the reply I got.

We are in the process of upgrading our infrastructure and adding another layer of networking to correct this issue internally. We are working in the background via an internal ticket.

So yeah, I'm happy with Dacentec. Dallas nodes are still better and it's a big internal discussion topic. However, dacentec node is lower capacity.

• @jarland said: So yeah, I'm happy with Dacentec.

Well I think as long as they are making an effort to improve and not making false promise there is still hope!!

So you ever plan on doing Colo?

edited February 2013

@earl said: So you ever plan on doing Colo?

I can think of a couple racks I'd like to colo something in, but I won't give any potential spoilers ;)

• Dallas is superior location and facility. Much better network.

Been on both networks, Dallas for 2 years and Lenoir for 2 months.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@jarland said: I can think of a couple racks I'd like to colo something in, but I won't give any potential spoilers ;)

Interesting!! :)

Hey your server with qps did you get the Xeon in Vegas or the C2Quad in Atlanta?

@pubcrawler said: Dallas for 2 years and Lenoir for 2 months.

You were with Corexchange in Dallas?

I got the dual 5420 in Atlanta with 8GB/1TB HD

• @jarland said: I got the dual 5420 in Atlanta with 8GB/1TB HD

Hmm.. he did not mention you can get the Xeon in Atlanta or maybe it was sold out already.

• @earl, had colo in Dallas.

@jarland, how is the network in your opinion in Atlanta? Did some testing, but nothing too significant, yet. Overloaded here with testing.

• @pubcrawler said: BTW @hyao, I get 200ms+ currently from Singapore to Fiberhub in Las Vegas (BuyVM).

~170ms from Los Angeles to Singapore here :)

@pubcrawler said: Dallas is superior location and facility. Much better network.

Apparently Los Angeles is more premium. Internap charges more for colo.

@earl said: That's insane!! I would get out of there quick!!

The quality of the data center and the network is also insane. Do you want to know how many providers there are in their bandwidth mix? 10? more?

• @concerto49 said: there are in their bandwidth mix? 10? more?

Wow!! I guess in this case you get what you pay for :)

@pubcrawler Above average at the least.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited February 2013

@MonsteR said: @earl After all that has been said here still trying to sell Dacentec :), I give up good luck to whom ever is looking for a budget server with 20/Kb/s port speeds, Slow drives and bad support.

Slow support? Dacentec honestly has the best support I have ever seen...and I have been though many hosts before. Heck, they even burned Debian to a disc and setup a DVD drive and KVM TWICE, so that I could reinstall the server. Sure, their replies may be slow replies here and there, but that is obviously because they are becoming loaded down with noobs.

Drives. Yep, this varies a lot. At the beginning (~4 months ago) they used to hand out brand new RE4s, etc...although now they seem to be giving out whatever they can find in stock. I personally got 4 brand new Hitatchi Ultrastars with mine, which is not bad.

As far as the network...yeah not the best at the moment. Hopefully that improves, like they're saying it will.

• @NateN34

Thanks for the input..
    I do agree that while support maybe slow to respond at times I really think they go out of their way to accommodate your request this is something which I fell they should be commended for.

On another note I'm contemplating on just getting high speed DSL to the house I can get 25down/25 up to the house for around $60.. I already have a whole lot of 1U/2U servers that I've been wanting to setup but just looking to find a 22U server Rack.. I would not need redundancy like a generator it's just for a hobby.. Probably the cheapest route I think

Thinking about doing something like this when time permits..

• @earl, the home rack is the route to go to get up to speed. Especially where you have bandwidth options with decent speeds.

• @pubcrawler said: @earl, the home rack is the route to go to get up to speed

It sure is.. but I'm currently thinking about moving soon so maybe have to hold off on the server room at least for the time being. My servers / computers is already taking up too much space it's going to be an awful pain to move them all!