Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone ever colo? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone ever colo?

Comments

• @MonsterR

You do realize that Google has a big datacenter in Lenoir too?

• Maybe an earthquake centers in Lenoir would be a good thing :)

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

@NateN34 said: You do realize that Google has a big datacenter in Lenoir too?

Yes, but please tell me your only referring to the disaster zone oppose to the crap network/support/speeds/quality etc etc, As I am sure google spent a few bill more on there data center in terms of Quality and service and built a new data center for it, Not using an old warehouse. So if a earthquake did happen Ill put my money on Google's Lenoir data center staying up.

• Good point @MonsteR. Wondering if North Carolina actually has specific building code enhancements for engineering buildings for earthquake survivability.

I posted a bit back about at least Lenoir not having anything within 30 mile range and those were 3.x quakes.

Should note Apple has a datacenter < 30 miles away heading towards coast.

Think all three get labeled Lenoir, but only Dacentec is technically in Lenoir.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

@Pubcrawler Was looking up some reviews and seen this where they compared themselves to Facebook/Apple data centers :|
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1166209

This is painful just to see.

• Yeah basic comparisons there @MonsteR ... take those with grain of salt included.

• @hyao said: @earl: I'm interested in purchasing 1U or 2U colo space. But I'm planning to offer VPS hosting, would it still be ok?

I was not actually going to get colo just listing the deal thinking it was pretty cheap.. but I would think if you did colo yourself here that selling VPS's should be ok I know a few folks on LET who resell VPS's from this datacentre

@MonsteR said: I was considering colloing there, But ever since there horrible support, phoneline always busy, Bad network from there dedicated server range

While I was with them only a short time they were pretty helpful with my Dedi, they seem very accommodating overall I did not think they were that bad..

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited February 2013

Support has been iffy in my experience. Don't seem to know about the most common thing they are likely selling on the RTO.

Problem resolution for the common IO lack is to swap drives and/or server.

Seem pretty willing to at least try to remedy when lacking real solution and info.

I am rather indifferent about them so far.

If you are going to consider colo'ing there, need to inquire about parts storage for spares for your gear or in lieu of such, what they stock and can install/swap as needed. Fans, drives, PSUs are the main stock needs in my experience.

Determine what hands on cost for that work there will be too.

• Thanks @earl

@MonsteR: you have your own dc? maybe some basic info? thanks

• @pubcrawler said: Determine what hands on cost for that work there will be too.

I think it's $50 p/hour

• $50/hr is fine. Low in the industry.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@pubcrawler said: $50/hr is fine. Low in the industry.

Well that was when I inquired regarding adding an extra drive in the RTO dedi but they mention normally for something simple like that they normally don't charge..

this is what they said:

"Our remote hands is $50 per hour billed in quarter hour increments. Honestly though we're not charging to add HD's to servers right now"

• @pubcrawler said: $50/hr is fine. Low in the industry.

Internap charges $300+/hour :p

• So they charge admin time for a RTO drive? Was that buying the drive from them or sending in your own drive?

• @concerto49, Internap is really high end comparatively.

$300/hr is obscene though. Unsure why customers allow that.

• @pubcrawler said: $300/hr is obscene though. Unsure why customers allow that.

If "customers" are government organisations...

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

@hyao said: you have your own dc? maybe some basic info? thanks

Hi, We have our own network at Corexchange Dallas, Texas

@pubcrawler said: Support has been iffy in my experience. Don't seem to know about the most common

Will agree with this 100%

• @pubcrawler said: Was that buying the drive from them or sending in your own drive?

That would be after I own the Dedi and if I choose to continue to colo in their facility I would need to ship them my own drive

• @concerto49 said: Internap charges $300+/hour :p

That's insane!! I would get out of there quick!!

• @MonsteR: pm'ed you

@pubcrawler: which dc do you recommend for colo?

@earl: which dc are you using now?

• DC depends on real needs and your location / users location.

Me on the cheap, in the United States, quite fond of Wholesale in Kansas City and their affiliated companies lesser so. 1U colo @ $40-50/mo typically there for one-off units. HE+Cogent there, but it's insanely good.

• @hyao, the other facility to consider, ideally through a lesser cost reseller (do they exist?) is Corexchange in Dallas.

Very solid more premium network.

• hyaohyao Member
    edited February 2013

@pubcrawler: I'm looking at budget dedicated servers / colo, preferably US west coast to start with

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@hyao said: @earl: which dc are you using now?

I 've contemplated doing colo I'm in Canada there was a company close to me called 3z.ca they had a special for $40 for 1u but now it seems they raised the price to $50 so not really worth it in my opinion

At the moment I'm just renting a dedi from wholesaleinternet but I have been with datashack before so it's pretty much the same company..

If you are interested in Dacentec a couple of member here on LET used this particular deal to resell VPS.. you would probably have to add more drives and do some kind of raid but here is the basic plan and it's rent to own so after 12 payment it's yours..

Unmanaged HP Dedicated $65.00/month
    Used HP SE1101 2x L5420 Xeon Quad Core 2.5GHz 16GB ECC RAM 1TB Enpterise SATA
    HW RAID / SAS Upgrades available.
    Gigabit Port
    10 TB monthly transfer.
    1 Free IP
    Free Lantronix IP KVM loan on request
    NO LOCK IN - Month-to-Month Contract - Cancel anytime
    Rent To Own - Pay for 12 months and the server is yours, continue colo or take the server.
    Hardware replacement including disk is free during the rental period.
    Remote Reboot
    Automated OS Installs
    Bandwidth Graph
    UNMANAGED

Link to WHT AD

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

@earl After all that has been said here still trying to sell Dacentec :), I give up good luck to whom ever is looking for a budget server with 20/Kb/s port speeds, Slow drives and bad support.

• I wouldn't recommend Lenoir since they backhaul to Atlanta. Bandwidth provider mix is blah.

It's just like I won't typically recommend anything in California, unless your market is Asia (in which case you might want to look in Asia for providers).

Covering the US with low latency is achieved by:

1. Placing servers in center of US (Chicago, Dallas, or Kansas City); or

2. Getting a provider with own private network and peering in mid country and coastal peering points who backhauls own traffic (see OVH and Peer1).

Nothing too wrong at Dacentec truly. It's no worse than average providers out there. Better than quite a few.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@MonsteR said: @earl After all that has been said here still trying to sell Dacentec :), I give up good luck to whom ever is looking for a budget server with 20/Kb/s port speeds

I was just saying that there is a couple of folks on LET reselling this exact plan into VPS's have not really heard any bad reviews about them so far.. but you are welcome to recommend others..

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

@earl said: I was just saying that there is a couple of folks on LET reselling this exact plan into VPS's have not really heard any bad reviews about them so far..

Umm ...

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/7780/your-dacentec-disk-speed
    about 60+ comments on there.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1166209

But never know, These could be nice for some people, As some people seem to have a good experience and other bad.

• Right disk speeds seem to be there the result of the controller(s) in the HP L5420's they infamously sell.

In that thread a member posted the solution to the problem. lsiutil and adjusting the write caching to enable it then rebooting.

Dacentec should have long ago documented the issue and told new buyers in their introduction email package about the tweak.

I am certain Dacentec lost a good amount of business and tarnished their reputation with the still ongoing drive snafu.