Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone ever colo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone ever colo?

earlearl Member
edited February 2013 in General

Hey, saw a colo deal from Dacentec seems pretty decent. While I have never done colo before nor am I looking to colo anytime soon I find it may be an interesting option down the line if we could do something like a group buy. It would be around $21.5 to colo a 1U with 1amp and 1 IP.. , while a full cab may end up being cheaper per U I think the quarter cab is a safer bet based on the lower monthly cost..

here is the deal

Quarter Rack Colo $150.00/month
9U
5 Amp / 120V
100 Mbps bandwidth on 1 Gig port
or
10TB Bandwidth on Gigabit Port
5 IPv4 address
Free IP KVM loan on request
Free basic hands and eyes including reboots and hot-swap drive changes.
Free racking and installation.
NO LOCK IN - Month-to-Month Contract - Cancel anytime
BUY NOW

Extras:
IPv4 IP (w/ justification) - $1/IP
115V Power - $10/amp
208V Power - $20/amp
Redundant power 115V - - $20/month
Extra U of space - $25/month

Total:
Quarter Rack ($150 ) + 4 amp ($40) + 4 IP's ($4) = $194 / 9 =$21.5 per 1U

What do you guys think anyone ever done group buys in colo?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I never did and I think others didnt either.
    But there can be better offers:
    http://www.limehost.ro/colo/dedicated-models.html

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Would not recommend doing that... somebody right run off with all of your equipment :( nice deal htough

• @earl said: What do you guys think anyone ever done group buys in colo?

It's going to be hard. Only do it with close friends. It'll be a cat fight as you'll be putting equipment in. If there are any issues or arguments it could blow up.

What about bandwidth and how do you share bandwidth? You never calculated that.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Maounique
    That 450 euros installation fee is killing the deal

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@shovenose said: Would not recommend doing that... somebody right run off with all of your equipment

Yeah just thought about that.. but maybe if you only do with known members from LET/LEB could be safer?

@Maounique said: But there can be better offers:

Unfortunately malwarebytes blocked the site so I can't see the deal..

@concerto49 said: What about bandwidth and how do you share bandwidth? You never calculated that.

I might be wrong but I thought 100 Mbps bandwidth on 1 Gig port means they limit the 1gbit port to 100mbit but it's unmetered?
    the other way you would get 10 TB/ 1U which would be 1.1 TB per 1U or they charge $30 for an additional 10 TB so for 2.2 TB per 1U @ $24.83..

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

I would contribute towards the price of 1/2U Space.

• Dacentec is alright. Nothing great though. Upstream bandwidth leave a lot to be desired.

As far as the gigabit. You aren't going to see that throughput. More like 200Mbps... At least on single threaded requests.

Support is acceptable on ticket times. Suspect you can pay for faster response time. Feels that way.

Support competence varies greatly. They haven't proven knowledgeable on hardware they've been selling (see various disk IO related issues and the people getting drives replaced or leaving the facility).

Group buys total can work. Know who you are dealing with (ideally your customers) --- their needs, their intended use, etc. One bad apple in the bunch and whole rack could be taken offline. Bandwidth regulation and overages are a concern too. As is support. Who fields the problems and interfaces with the facility.

• @Jacob said: I would contribute towards the price of 1/2U Space.

Hmm.. I wonder how you would charge for a 2U space?? cause at 2x $21.5 = $43 I think you could probably colo direct with WII, datashcak, Joe's datacentre..

@pubcrawler said: One bad apple in the bunch and whole rack could be taken offline. Bandwidth regulation and overages are a concern too

Yeah I can see that.. it maybe more of a headache more then anything, but the price is tempting.. not sure thought would 1 amp be enough for something like a Dell PE 1950 with like a dual Xeon L5420 and 3 drives?

• 1A is never enough.

They sell power addons... They are affordable in that datacenter.

• Additional 1A = + $10/mo

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@pubcrawler
    so you think 1.5 amp is enough or more like 2 amp per server?

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@pubcrawler said: As far as the gigabit. You aren't going to see that throughput. More like 200Mbps.

Yes I've noticed this that you never even get close to the full 1 Gbit port no matter what time I tried, but should be enough for just 5-9 servers..

• You can't buy half amps @earl. You need at least 2..

$25 Kill-a-watt device should be in your hand to measure real draw of your server.

If at, near or above 240 watts, most places being honest would say 3A is what you need.

@Voss said: I wouldn't advice doing that at all.

Thank you for your trust :)

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@pubcrawler said: You can't buy half amps

I was thinking about buying 9 amp extra if 1.5 amp per 1U was enough 14 amp/ 9U = 1.56 amp per 1U, but if that's not enough then I would have to buy 13 amp extra which would be 2amp per 1U.. then this would bring the total to $31.55 per 1U not sure if it's worth it anymore..

@Voss said: I wouldn't advice doing that at all.

Yes I know your probably right.. just talking that's all.

@earl said: 1.56 amp per 1U

Hum, at 110 v this would mean 750 w for 230 v, my 1u uses below 350 w so i guess it should be enough for most servers.

• Well @earl, 1A = 120 watts, 2A = 240 watts.... etc...

Drives + addon cards add up. The L5420's are pretty low power draw. Under load could balloon. Should be around 2A for that though.

1.5 A = 180 watts at 120V power....

I'd look and see who has what that might be interested in sharing space and do it cautiously.

• Actually Just dug up the conversation I had with William from Dacentec and according to his calculations to hold 16-20 HP SE1101(2x L5420 1x1TB Drive) it would take 20-25 amps of power.. that would be about 1.25 amp of power per server..

• @earl said: I might be wrong but I thought 100 Mbps bandwidth on 1 Gig port means they limit the 1gbit port to 100mbit but it's unmetered?

No? It's likely 95% on 100mbps burstable to 1gbit. Meaning overages will have to be paid.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@concerto49 said: No? It's likely 95% on 100mbps burstable to 1gbit. Meaning overages will have to be paid.

Ah Ok that makes sense.. when I asked them about this they never replied..

But I still think 10TB is still enough for 5-9 users I don't think I would be offering VPS or anything like that..I also recalled in the conversation I had with dacentec that they can cap your bandwidth for you so before they start charging for overages they will likely tell you to upgrade an extra 10 TB for $30

• Yuck. Be wary of hidden fees with limehost.

• @unused said: Yuck. Be wary of hidden fees with limehost.

Yeah must be a pretty shady site even MBAM blocks it..

• @earl said: Yeah must be a pretty shady site even MBAM blocks it..

MBAM blocks all of Voxility's ranges, it looks like. http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=114959

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@ihatetonyy said: MBAM blocks all of Voxility's ranges, it looks like

"They may be a "top Romanian company", but they're also a very criminal friendly company."

Funny comment from the forum.. yeah there must be something bad going on for MBAM to block the whole range, I don't think I want to associate with that even if it's cheap, who knows they might raid my house lol.

• @earl said: Funny comment from the forum.. yeah there must be something bad going on for MBAM to block the whole range, I don't think I want to associate with that even if it's cheap, who knows they might raid my house lol.

I think it was for a dumb reason. I think @Jack has a forum link for the reason

• @spencer

It could be a false positive. MBAM seem to block Volumedrive.com as well not sure if there is anything malicious on their website or not

• @earl: I'm interested in purchasing 1U or 2U colo space. But I'm planning to offer VPS hosting, would it still be ok?

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

I was considering colloing there, But ever since there horrible support, phoneline always busy, Bad network from there dedicated server range, and I figured it was a odd place to build a data center as it is in a disaster zone....

• Also random offer, But we have some space left in Dallas, TX on our network at corexchange, If anyone is interested drop me a pm.

• Lenoir is NOT a disaster zone @MonsterR. It's close though. 30 miles roughly.

Take it the earthquake risk is based on Atlantic coastline plate running into Appalachian mountains. Hasn't been any real quakes there though in forever.

Other points are realllllllll valid though.