Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EvoBurst/VirtWire Global Review - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EvoBurst/VirtWire Global Review

12346»

Comments

• Customer service is to give customer service , if the customer can not stand not to be done . Poor service , but VPS is fairly stable.

• @jarod said:

Customer service is to give customer service , if the customer can not stand not to be done . Poor service , but VPS is fairly stable.

Word.

• bersybersy Member
    edited August 2016

They are offering 20% OFF now, If anyone's interested. NAT - NAT20OFF, Budget - BUDGET20OFF. Discount will be available till the end of August.

• KobeKobe Member

@bersy said:
    They are offering 20% OFF now, If anyone's interested. NAT - NAT20OFF, Budget - BUDGET20OFF. Discount will be available till the end of August.

Yeah, I have to admit, that's a really great deal for those with a fetish for sexual humiliation and malicious acts being committed against them, everyone else: not so much.

Thanked by 2SpicyPepper K4Y5
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@bersy said:

They'd be better off reducing overselling on their nodes by 20-200% in the longer run to keep their existing customers, as I am sure they aren't getting recommended by those of us stuck with VirtWire.

• I know a fact for sure. I am not renewing my services this year.

• Maintain it's service quality would be costly but don't sacrifice quality for price, even many customers looking for cheap,...
    I've multiple box with them for at least 12 months and still stable,...

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@Catalin said:
    I know a fact for sure. I am not renewing my services this year.

Same here. I'd cut and run sooner, if they'd be up for a pro-rated refund, when it technically should be a full refund, since I didn't change my mind after placing the order, but they sure as hell started to oversell making the VPS unusable.

• JarryJarry Member
    edited August 2016

Sounds like business-plan to me:

1. offer vps for promo-price
    2. over-sell hw badly
    3. wait till customers leave
    4. go to 1.
  • What a shame - back then when I got servers from EvoBurst their Support was great. I believe the owner sold the project a while ago if I'm not mixing things up?

• @JustRefleX said:
    What a shame - back then when I got servers from EvoBurst their Support was great. I believe the owner sold the project a while ago if I'm not mixing things up?

Same owner, the one your referring to is nexhost.

• KobeKobe Member
    edited August 2016

@JustRefleX said:
    What a shame - back then when I got servers from EvoBurst their Support was great. I believe the owner sold the project a while ago if I'm not mixing things up?

Wasn't sold. Ryan turned into a jaded bitter person after the honeymoon period and the excitement of running a web host faded away. Before that, Ryan was marginally okay and efficient, Wesley was always incredibly rude, paranoid and malicious. Nobody really likes Wesley, but he's pretty much front end support for most tickets.

Can't speak for any other Virtwire employees if there are any, but I can't imagine they're bad by association though.

• @Kobe said:

@JustRefleX said:

Wasn't sold. Ryan turned into a jaded bitter person after the honeymoon period and the excitement of running a web host faded away. Before that, Ryan was marginally okay and efficient, Wesley was always incredibly rude, paranoid and malicious. Nobody really likes Wesley, but he's pretty much front end support for most tickets.

Can't speak for any other Virtwire employees if there are any, but I can't imagine they're bad by association though.

Yeah it's ryan that I remember as a nice guy.

• bougarbougar Member
    edited September 2016

Hello,
    I have not used my vps instance for a long time. 4 days ago I decided to set up a minecraft server, which is explicity allowed in ToS.
    The problem:

[root@bougar ~]# java -jar minecraft_server.jar

Killed

No way what OS, no way what java version, no way what minecraft version, I reinstalled the OS ten times, no way. I always get the same annoying "killed" messages with no log.
    I can read I am not the only one with this types of problems in NL01.

I have opened a ticket and it was instantly closed, with no answer but in my opinion is not my setup problem but a node problem.

I apoligise by writing here, but maybe someone listen to me.

I not need SW support, I only wanted to set up my server :(

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@bougar said:
    Hello,
    I have not used my vps instance for a long time. 4 days ago I decided to set up a minecraft server, which is explicity allowed in ToS.
    The problem:

Killed

No way what OS, no way what java version, no way what minecraft version, I reinstalled the OS ten times, no way. I always get the same annoying "killed" messages with no log.

I have opened a ticket and it was instantly closed, with no answer but in my opinion is not my setup problem but a node problem.

Good luck. They probably have a script running that kills anything resource intensive.

• bougarbougar Member
    edited September 2016

@trewq said:

@bougar said:
    Hello,
    The problem:

Killed

Good luck. They probably have a script running that kills anything resource intensive.

They worked 2 month ago :(
    Anyway, the above command does not start the server, just download the files to set up thes server. I guest is not resource intesive. I can run that on my rpi2.

Teorically I have contrated 4 vCores a 4G Ram server, I think that is enougth to download minecraft server files.

Thanks by answer :D

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@bougar They may just be killing Java. What exit code is it giving you?

Thanked by 1bougar
  • bougarbougar Member
    edited September 2016

@trewq said:

I am grateful for your preoccupation.

The exit code is "137":

This is that some other process has sent a signal 9 (SIGKILL)

• @bougar: Have you seen this more recent discussion?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/91478/issues-with-virtwire-evoburst-since-yesterday

It won't answer your question, but I fear that there are bigger issues in the background -- you may not have a server in a few days.

Thanked by 1bougar
  • @angstrom said:
    @bougar: Have you seen this more recent discussion?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/91478/issues-with-virtwire-evoburst-since-yesterday

It won't answer your question, but I fear that there are bigger issues in the background -- you may not have a server in a few days.

Problems on NL server was marked as solved in their annouces webpage, but maybe you are right, and we may not have our server fully availiable for a few days.
    Thanks by the information

• bougar said: Problems on NL server was marked as solved in their annouces webpage, but maybe you are right, and we may not have our server fully availiable for a few days.

The signs are actually worse than that: we may very well lose our servers in a few days!

At the moment, though, NL01 is okay, so your question is legitimate, but it looks like VirtWire is about to deadpool, so I doubt that replying to tickets is their top priority ...

Thanked by 1bougar
  • @bougar said:

@trewq said:

I am grateful for your preoccupation.

The exit code is "137":

This is that some other process has sent a signal 9 (SIGKILL)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11801783/resolving-java-result-137

The exit code 137 then resolves to 128 + 9, whereas Signal 9 is SIGKILL, i.e. the process was forcefully killed.

Thanked by 1trewq
  • bougarbougar Member
    edited September 2016

@angstrom said:

bougar said: Problems on NL server was marked as solved in their annouces webpage, but maybe you are right, and we may not have our server fully availiable for a few days.

The signs are actually worse than that: we may very well lose our servers in a few days!

At the moment, though, NL01 is okay, so your question is legitimate, but it looks like VirtWire is about to deadpool, so I doubt that replying to tickets is their top priority ...

I paid my server for a year, so it can be a problem. My server expires on march, so 25 dollars to the trash. I would be more calm, if at least they give us some information.

• bougar said: I paid my server for a year, so it can be a problem. My server expires on march, so 25 dollars to the trash. I would be more calm, if at least they give us some information.

I'm in a similar situation, so I sympathize. I was hopeful until today, but the signs have become very negative. :-(

• @bougar said
    The problem:

Create a symlink to Java, run using that. I did that to get Jenkins running (it's also Java based).

I also filed a support ticket and got it fixed, because this was a few months back.

• bougarbougar Member
    edited September 2016

@ajgarett said:

@bougar said
    The problem:

Create a symlink to Java, run using that. I did that to get Jenkins running (it's also Java based).

I also filed a support ticket and got it fixed, because this was a few months back.

First of all, Thank you by your help :D

I did and it works perfectly, but I would like to know why we need to use this "procedure", I mind this is not normal, is It?

Note: If the symlink name is java, jva, jv it does not work, but with "aaa" yes, this is weird. I dont know If i migth close the ticket or not.

• @bougar said:

Instead of killing processes when they hit limits, Java is just preemptively killed. Probably a script that runs every second looking for processes starting with 'j' and killing them. Under OpenVZ the admin has full visibility into what's running, so they can kill arbitrary processes freely.

Considering Virtwire is shutting down, doesn't make any sense having the ticket open (if it's not already closed).