Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Purchased from VirMach and didn't read the ToS - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Purchased from VirMach and didn't read the ToS

Comments

• ratherbak3dratherbak3d Member
    edited January 2016

This should have really been as simple as "Your hammering the CPU/IO, please fix it or if that's not an option, find a new provider as the service your on is not suitable for your usage."

You don't have to prove anything other than them hammering the CPU/IO which could be done without ever entering the container. I've not used OVZ for a while but I'd assume VZTOP is still around?

Other than that, the OP is the sort of customer you don't want to be providing services too. My responses would have stopped as soon as the bad language started.

Thanked by 2GM2015 linuxthefish
  • Francisco said: @virmach - Don't pull a GVH Jonny by going through peoples CT's for a reason to ban them.

Francisco

Oh no he didn't :P

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2016

Corey said: Why couldn't you just run a ps command and find the abusive process PID and run vzpid instead of entering his container.

This was done as a second measure. First, the 10 services were suspended for extremely high usage through monitors. Then, after customer's explanation kept changing, processes were checked and Firefox was found - this is where we did what you just mentioned. This was explained to the customer, and the customer was given another chance to clarify his explanation, but there was still a disagreement and the abuse continued. The third measure is what there's a disagreement over - but it was still justified under our terms.

We do see the concerns, though, and we have changed our policy as a result of the feedback we've received in this thread. If anyone believes that, as @Francisco mentioned, we went around accessing containers just to suspend them, please do contact me and I'll ensure proper protocol was followed and provide logs.

Corey said: You didn't need to enter his container at all to suspend him for abuse. You don't have to 'prove' anything to the client past the point of the CPU and IO abuse.

ratherbak3d said: This should have really been as simple as "Your hammering the CPU/IO, please fix it or if that's not an option, find a new provider as the service your on is not suitable for your usage."

Correct. The customer's other services continued to break this abuse policy and could have just been terminated, but Syed just wanted to give him one last chance and he made the choice to follow protocol/terms to possibly see if it was something else where we could, out of courtesy, assist the customer in reducing usage and keeping his services and to gather more data in case of a dispute.

Once again, though, we do see the possible concern with this policy so we have changed it. We do still want to be able to help customers, out of courtesy, to avoid losing 90 services in situations where they did not intentionally mean to abuse - so the customer may now opt in for a check to verify that it's a misunderstanding.

We do also do already usually ask for permission, even in cases of abuse, to access the VPS to verify what the customer stated he was running if that can get them out of being suspended, but Syed did not do that in this case. Yes, it could have been handled better. Almost all the other situations similar to this, the customer was cooperative and allowed us to access the VPS on abuse to prove that they were running some program that they did not know would intentionally use that much IO/CPU, we reviewed it, unsuspended, and had no further issues with the customer. The policy was there as a last resort, but it has been changed. The policy wasn't there to screw over customers and was not intended as a breach of privacy.

Corey said: If he had 100-200 containers, couldn't he be on a node entirely by himself, how can he cause himself IO abuse? What's the issue with him using 100 percent of everything on that node?

I believe he had 90, and they were spread across multiple nodes. Our nodes are extremely large and can properly hold a large number of containers without issue if everyone follows our policies. We would not have approved this order if the customer stated what was going to actually run on it, instead of telling us something else before he received the quote.

If anyone has further concerns regarding this incident, has questions about our old policy and new policy in regards to accessing customer's services, please contact me. I know I've typed a lot in this thread so I'll summarize/clarify/bring attention to anything you missed.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Peroni said: Your behavior is disgusting for a provider, I'll be sure never to purchase services from you now.

really dont need :)

• cociucociu Member
    edited January 2016

@jane98211 what about now ??? the provider post the proof ... do you have more inquiries ? Really like now your topic title :) hahaha

Thanked by 1netomx
  • VirMach said: Per our terms, since customer was not providing truthful details, we accessed the VPS (we're allowed on privacy policy in cases of suspected abuse) and customer was running traffic exchange Portion of privacy policy allowing access:

Amazing, that's something I would like to say as criminal!!

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • Nic_20TBSSDNic_20TBSSD Member
    edited January 2016

@jane98211 how long were the VM's running for? I guess you can politely ask for a refund if its only been like 3-5 days I mean how much did you spend on $100 VM's I doubt they will just keep all the money you spend without offering you any kind of service or partial refund.

Add: or perhaps this could of been before this thread was started maybe to late now that its public and everyone has input their personal opinions I doubt @virmach is going to hand out anything now, which is why you always consult with your hosting provider before bringing thing public.

• @Nic_20TBSSD said:
    jane98211 how long were the VM's running for? I guess you can politely ask for a refund if its only been like 3-5 days I mean how much did you spend on $100 VM's I doubt they will just keep all the money you spend without offering you any kind of service or partial refund.

So I'm allowed to buy $200 service off you. Abuse it and ask for a partial refund? Get a fucking grip

• Nic_20TBSSDNic_20TBSSD Member
    edited January 2016

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    So I'm allowed to buy $200 service off you. Abuse it and ask for a partial refund? Get a fucking grip

To my knowledge the client was said to of abused 10 of the VM's out of 100 or so right? I'm not saying people should go around abusing providers hardware not by any means, but what I am saying the client paid for 100 and 10 were said to be abused what about the other 90?

This is just what I have taken from the whole thread I could be wrong is so many aspects but this is what was brought to the light. @virmach can handle the situation however he pleases. Its his hardware, his T.O.S so the client has to play by his rules.

Has been explain by @virmach

Also you don't have to be rude to get your point across just saying!

Thanked by 1roykem
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Nic_20TBSSD said: @jane98211 how long were the VM's running for? I guess you can politely ask for a refund if its only been like 3-5 days I mean how much did you spend on $100 VM's I doubt they will just keep all the money you spend without offering you any kind of service or partial refund.

Add: or perhaps this could of been before this thread was started maybe to late now that its public and everyone has input their personal opinions I doubt @virmach is going to hand out anything now, which is why you always consult with your hosting provider before bringing thing public.

In any case the customer immediately opened a dispute on PayPal claiming he did not even receive the services (lying), so it will be handled accordingly on PayPal.

Nic_20TBSSD said: To my knowledge the client was said to of abused 10 of the VM's out of 100 or so right?

I just want to clarify that it was not just 10 services abusing the node. These approximately 10 services were about to crash the server. The others were still high load and were going to be powered off or suspended if the customer did not reply in a certain amount of time after the warning or did not rectify the situation.

The customer briefly reduced his load and then continued to abuse on the other services he had left.

Thanked by 1Nic_20TBSSD
  • colingptcolingpt Member
    edited January 2016

@GIANT_CRAB said: VirMach said: If we suspend when there's sufficient proof of high I/O and CPU, and customer constantly tells us he didn't do anything, we have to gather more information.

You can just suspend and terminate. You do not need to invade their privacy.

Who are you? The police?

GIANT_CRAB said: TinyTunnel_Tom said: That's why you read the ToS. By signing up you agree to them accessing it.

ToS does not have greater power than laws.

VirMach said: If we suspend when there's sufficient proof of high I/O and CPU, and customer constantly tells us he didn't do anything, we have to gather more information.

You can just suspend and terminate. You do not need to invade their privacy.

Who are you? The police?

iKeyZ said: I do not see where the provider did wrong here? They asked multiple times and got lied to with excuses over and over again, when they investigated the load (which is stated in their terms) they saw the OP was lying and suspended the account as they should.

Again, they can un-suspend and suspend/terminate again if the high load continues. They DO NOT NEED TO ACCESS THE VPS. Why should they PROBE into the VPS itself?

I'm not sure if the provider themselves have violated data protection laws just by accessing client's private data without any warrant or permission. You guys are insane. Has privacy became non-existent to all of you?

Also, by DIRECTLY accessing the VPS itself, you already MIGHT have all the client's login data. How can you prove otherwise since you already violated privacy laws?

Make no mistake, I'm not protecting the client either. Both of them are clearly in the wrongs.

You did say what I would like to say. Furthermore, even GOVERNMENT shall not access citizen's data without permission from Judge. That's why when Edward Joseph Snowden told us the story, most people should feel angry (As you may know, in China, personal privacy is just a joke, which is not even a problem under majority thinking. However even though, no any company commits they are censoring client's data without GOV permission).

Just curious why there is someone here still support and agree with this kind of offense .

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

Anger issues?!? ^^

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@dedicados said:

Quería seguir la corriente con los ataques racistas :P

• @Nic_20TBSSD said:
    Also you don't have to be rude to get your point across just saying!

Understood. However please do carefully read as much as possible before posting. :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

"Keep my money and feed your children!"

• @raindog308 said:
    "Keep my money and feed your children!"

He changed his mind on that, and opened a dispute. In humane.

Thanked by 2Nic_20TBSSD netomx
  • @Anna_Parker said:
    That's why KVM is better than OVZ. ;-)))

Better buy dedis :)

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • That poll pmsl

• Edited the post...

• Thank @virmach for getting rid of @jane98211 I

• Another Drama thread. Lets get popcorn.

• Traffic exchange folks are the scum of the earth like cryptocurrency miners

Thanked by 2Kris kspll7
  • time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

<...> they will invade your privacy, may send lusty messages to your ex girlfriend on facebook, tell your bos that you go to strip clubs and hire a hitman to kill your family and burn your house. They are criminals in disguise.

Condolences to @VirMach.

• @Server said:
    I would rather they suspend/offer a grace period to generate backup before termination.

The OP did give written permission at 15.04 to access the servers.

Thanked by 1wwabbit
  • data privacy laws are quite specific and in many countries you could access a VM and investigate what programs are running and not access data in any way and not violate data protection or privacy laws.
    in some cases it will come down to having a clearly defined and documented process and in others it will come down to whose lawyer is better, and some countries will exempt you from some or all obligations based on the organisations size/revenue, and in others you might just lose outright but it is far from cut and dried.

• seaeagle said: The OP did give written permission at 15.04 to access the servers.

Good spot. Pretty clear there that permission was granted to check the servers for abuse.

• @wwabbit said:

Checking servers doesn't means invading into my servers and stealing my email and other accounts. If I say I have to check your bank account, does it mean that you need to give me password for your account so that I can invade your privacy? Checking simply means monitoring and not stealing my accounts.

• You're overly dramatic and not winning people over. You edited your initial post to mention something about your ex-hosting provider and killing your family.

Just walk away and go infest another hosting provider with your traffic exchange cancer just like the spammers and other undesirables do but watch out for FraudRecord

• @doughmanes said:
    You're overly dramatic and not winning people over. You edited your initial post to mention something about your ex-hosting provider and killing your family.

Just walk away and go infest another hosting provider with your traffic exchange cancer just like the spammers and other undesirables do but watch out for FraudRecord

I edited my post to provide the proof. If you ever bothered to check, tuberculosis everywhere!

• Tittle changed again?