Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hukot.net and BitNinja.IO - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hukot.net and BitNinja.IO

Comments

• bitninja_george said: Please send me one such IP, and let's find out why you can not see the same traffic. Why would we send fake incidents? It just makes no sense!

You have a score of 0 so far, I took November's reports prior to blocking them:

Not one of the corresponds to the traffic you mention. They are all http (80) requests, there is no port 80/443 traffic coming from those servers for the day prior, the day alleged or the day after. In fact the IPs are being used by a customer to run a MongoDB cluster and he has shown us that he has all ports other than SSH firewalled on the public interface.

And of course there are cases, when you can not see the traffic with netflow, like in case of https.

Seriously, please tell me that was a typo or you were just overtired.

You're running a security company and you make comments like that? That's inexcusable statement.

Thanked by 3AshleyUk GM2015 netomx
  • agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@bitninja_George the original complaint against the IP in question did not go to the abuse contact. You sent it to @qps and then the one you sent on 12-05-2015 was sent to me. So I think your system is seriously fucked.

• He said somewhere they spammail the tech contact.

agoldenberg said: @bitninja_George the original complaint against the IP in question did not go to the abuse contact. You sent it to @qps and then the one you sent on 12-05-2015 was sent to me. So I think your system is seriously fucked.

That's where you're wrong Mark. It's more like an advertising company.

MarkTurner said: You're running a security company and you make comments like that?

Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten
  • agoldenberg said: You said the last incident you saw on that IP was in october yet you sent me a report in december on the same ip?

The last incident was at 2015-12-05 14:51:55. We send one report per week, if there was new incidents about an IP. I think we have sent 3 reports to you:

• 2015-10-30
    • 2015-11-09
    • 2015-11-18
    • 2015-11-29

But I am not sure about it, as we have already rotated the mail sending logs.. I changed the rotation frequency so next time I can tell you more precise information about report sendings.

• tr1cky said: I mean, all they know in their little world is apache and wordpress, what do you expect from such a company?

Why do you think we only know apache and wp? BitNinja is compatible with any http server and of course any CMS systems. There are a lot of attack against WP-s that's all.
    All of our modules were designed to be compatible with any server technology. Greylisting, log analyzer, DoS detection or the bitninja WAF they are all compatible with any server side technology.

Then 90% of what they do with their application can be done with fail2ban and some rulesets.

Yes, you can use fail2ban, and it is a clever script. But it has limitations too. In case of distributed scan or scan against more servers fail2ban is useless. Also banning an IP for a specific time and then simply releasing it has a lot of drawbacks.

Fail2ban limitations:

• If for any reason it does a false positive ban, you have to face angry, frustrated customers and visitors. There is nothing they can do about the blacklisting.
    • It ban for a specific time and attackers can simply come back later, and go on with the attack or scan.
    • Fail2Ban has some design limitations, and it will open your log files for every rule you have and use memory for new log lines. So if you have many rules and many log files it can cause problems..
    • you have to manually maintain fail2ban rules.. you know but I tink time is money
    • you can not specify any complex log analysis logic, only what you can do with regex

So fail2ban is a good tool, we also used it before bitninja, but it has limitations, and I think is not enough against modern botnets.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

You're also using a "botnet" as "honey pots" to spamvertise to DCs and hosting companies, so go home.

bitninja_george said: So fail2ban is a good tool, we also used it before bitninja, but it has limitations, and I think is not enough against modern botnets.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • MarkTurner said: Not one of the corresponds to the traffic you mention. They are all http (80) requests, there is no port 80/443 traffic coming from those servers for the day prior, the day alleged or the day after. In fact the IPs are being used by a customer to run a MongoDB cluster and he has shown us that he has all ports other than SSH firewalled on the public interface.

If you send the IP I can tell you more.

And of course there are cases, when you can not see the traffic with netflow, like in case of https.
    Seriously, please tell me that was a typo or you were just overtired.
    You're running a security company and you make comments like that? That's inexcusable statement.

Correct me if you think I'm wrong, but you can't see in the https datastream, unless you have the cert to decode it. I assume, you do not have it, so all you can see is 0-s an 1-s. But, ok I see your point, there was no traffic on port 80 and 443. So let's find out what happened. Send me the IP!

• agoldenberg said: the original complaint against the IP in question did not go to the abuse contact. You sent it to @qps and then the one you sent on 12-05-2015 was sent to me. So I think your system is seriously fucked.

We will review this part tomorrow but the system picks up the e-mail address at the first time it sends a report, so it should not change it, but our programmers are do improvements on it currently, so maybe that's the reason.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@glent1 has Hukot rectified yet?

• https://bitninja.io/team/

I don't see a George on that page.. Who are you really?

• LET accounts are cheap nowadays.

ATHK said: I don't see a George on that page.. Who are you really?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

ATHK said: Who are you really?

Profile photo clearly matches Zsolt Egri unless I'm blind. Maybe George is a nickname or something?

Either way this company is 100% bull shit and a waste of time to talk to.

• @jarland said:
    Profile photo clearly matches Zsolt Egri unless I'm blind. Maybe George is a nickname or something?

I didn't see the resemblance, I looked a few times (they all look like stock photos anyway) its kind of early in the morning maybe that's it....

Where was I, oh yea. Down with Bitninja and their false reports that cause innocent people to lose money!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

BitNinja is essentially a ransomeware scheme pretending to be a blacklist however that aside, if your choosing to run Windows XP on a VPS (illegal) on a public IP and XP has been end of life for about a year now you have to expect LOTS of issues.

Thanked by 3ATHK GM2015 Nyr
  • ATHK said: I don't see a George on that page.. Who are you really?

As my original name, Zsolt is a Hungarian name, and no one knows how to pronounce, I have choosen George, as this is the nearest to Zsolt.

• You don't pronounce on a forum..

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • edited December 2015

@ATHK said:
    You don't pronounce on a forum..

Yeah, but you know, I think people are more convenient with a name they can pronounce and also we are exhibiting regularly. We exhibited on HostingCon Global in San Diego, and we attended the HostingCon Europe too and plan to exhibit next year on WHD. George is easy to remember, and there is even no such sound in english like Zs, the sound my name starts with. But you can call me Zsolt too, if you like it better :-) And what is your name? What ATHK stands for?

• My name doesn't matter, I'm not representing a scam company...

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • edited December 2015

ATHK said: My name doesn't matter, I'm not representing a scam company...

Me neither.. Honestly, have you even tried bitninja before judging it?

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

Man, George when are you going to understand you are not going to win! Just stop and let it be. It has been proven your service is a joke. But you might find some person to buy your service. Hahaha it wont be any REAL hosting company!

Thanked by 2ATHK inthecloudblog
  • @PieNotEvenEaten said:
    Man, George when are you going to understand you are not going to win! Just stop and let it be. It has been proven your service is a joke. But you might find some person to buy your service. Hahaha it wont be any REAL hosting company!

No, thank you. I will keep defending our service.

We have users like Arvixe.com and Canadian Web Hosting
    http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/canadian-web-hosting-partners-with-bitninja-for-security and many others. Since we launched more than 100 hosting companies have trusted bitninja to protect their servers.

• bitninja_george said: Since we launched more than 100 hosting companies have trusted bitninja to protect their servers.

Just because many use snakeoil, doesn't make it less snakeoil-y.

Thx for telling us who to stay away from ;)

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@4n0nx said:
    Thx for telling us who to stay away from ;)

Exactly my thought.

Thanked by 24n0nx GM2015

Canadian Webhosting is a joke. They're not even Canadian. It's American hosting billed in CAD.... More snakeoil

• Bitninja does not provide any evidence on "attacks" and has caused trouble to my upstream provider. They never reveal ip addresses of their "clients"

• edited December 2015

@inthecloudblog said:
    Bitninja does not provide any evidence on "attacks" and has caused trouble to my upstream provider. They never reveal ip addresses of their "clients"

We always reveal the ip addresses if we are asked for it by e-mail.

• @bitninja_george said:
    We always reveal the ip addresses if we are asked for it by e-mail.

You should send it with your initial email.. A company with over a 1000 VMs isn't going to waste time trawling through each one for your complaint.

In fact, any abuse email should include you know the relevant information..

• ATHK said: You should send it with your initial email.. A company with over a 1000 VMs isn't going to waste time trawling through each one for your complaint.

We will discuss this question with my team, and maybe change the reports to include the IP too if it does not comes with further security risk. Thank you for the idea!

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • ATHKATHK Member
    edited December 2015

If you're seeing malicious requests you should always send the report to the provider anyway.. I doubt they'll use the IP against you.

Unless it's Jonny Nuggets, that twat would have.