Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are there a lot of service providers hate Chinese people? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why are there a lot of service providers hate Chinese people?

Comments

• DigitalOcean flag my account when infosniper.net said my VM located on beijing but senderbase.org said my VM located on Jacksonville.
    Since #Crissic facilities belong to #QuadraNET.
    http://imgur.com/i4PzXRz

• AgaAga Member

dedicados said: because 90% of attacks to my servers are from china?

And that makes a lot of sense, since only chinese people can get a chinese geolocated IP.

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

I have nothing against Chinese people and we do not block any orders from China. With that being said, there is one thing that Chinese clients do more than anybody else in the world for us and I'd like to make an honest recommendation to them:

If your order gets marked as fraud by Maxmind, do not spend the next hour trying to change your address or account information to bypass Maxmind. When you have to change your address 10+ times to get your order to go through, it makes you look really bad and makes the provider not want to believe anything you say. If your order is marked as fraud, open a ticket and start a discussion. A good majority of the time Maxmind is marking your orders as fraud because the distance is so great between your IP and your address which drives the Maxmind score up. If you keep changing your address to something different, then there's a very good chance that when you find an address that does work, the provider won't accept your order anymore because there's an extremely good chance you just lied about your address. Open a ticket, talk to the provider, and if you need to change your address to something 1000 miles away, explain why before you do it a dozen times and lose all faith with your provider.

• @TarZZ92 said:
    when i was in the industry we never had a problem with china based customers it was actually the americans who caused problems (excessive moaning, fraud etc)

Actually, I found that UK based customers moan more. "Sorry to bother you, but do please resolve the hard drive issue. I reckon that an SSD would give me at least 4GB/second..." was the most common complaint among them. Apparently, SSDs on a budget server are supposed to be running at light-speed ._.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

A large portion of our customers are Chinese. I don't think other providers necessarily hate Chinese people - they're just not willing to take the extra time and effort to deal with some things.

• Proxies: they are frequently used in orders. Even our system flags a lot of people for this and they just have to make a ticket to clear it up. Some customers, however, will immediately be offended and think it's only because they're from China. It's not: anyone using a proxy gets flagged, but I guess more people use them in China due to the Great Firewall.
    • Communication: it is harder to communicate, which frustrates the customer and provides a bad experience and more disputes from misunderstandings. We also cannot provide a great level of support if we are not properly understood or cannot understand the customers, in certain cases.
    • Abuse to profit ratio: going off our abuse reports/evidence, the majority are from Chinese customers, and they are on our cheapest plans. The abusers really do almost ruin it for everyone as they will just constantly ask to be unsuspended, refunded, etc, and we have to keep pointing them to our ToS or get a Chinese-language dispute for a few dollars. These disputes could potentially end up costing us way more than the money disputed.
    • Initial support time: we have to dedicate most support time to orders from China, even on super small packages that are a few dollars a year. This is because of more advanced configurations/requirements from Chinese customers. For example, they might want a Chinese Windows ISO, might want to swap around locations for better ping since they're far away, etc. This can get hectic when we post offers.
    • Budget only plans: I don't know how it is for our other providers, but Chinese customers are more in the <$1 per month revenue range. There are some exceptions, but I guess for large providers this all becomes less worth it when they factor in only revenue in per country rather than number of customers. Just one hour of support time could take out your entire profit for the year and one chargeback could put you in a negative. Add in language barrier, and it's hard to make money unless you have very strict policies, which some customers see as anti-Chinese.

All that put aside, Chinese customers are some of our best customers. Once we have the VPS running for them and they're a legitimate customers who abide by our terms of service, we rarely have to provide any further support hours, and rarely have any issues. We also have fairly low usage from our Chinese customers compared to other regions, but that might be because in Europe/North America we're more popular for running intensive programs. Most customers use it for a personal VPN as some others suggested, so it's a really simple thing that won't need any further support and won't spike up usage.

So I definitely don't understand why any business would alienate an entire nation, where over 500 million people could use their service.

KuJoe said: If your order gets marked as fraud by Maxmind, do not spend the next hour trying to change your address or account information to bypass Maxmind. When you have to change your address 10+ times to get your order to go through, it makes you look really bad and makes the provider not want to believe anything you say.

I want to add on to this: if you're ordering, please don't re-order 10 times with different addresses/info, different proxies, and then open several support tickets and constantly reply and say "hello??" because we go through fraud reports in their own queue and properly.

Because then we have to:

1. Verify that you're actually not just fraud because you made yourself look suspicious
    2. Find out your actual address if you've been switching it around willy-nilly
    3. Read/merge all your tickets you created
    4. Remove all your outstanding invoices you caused to be generated
    5. Have to ask you to re-order anyway, in most cases
    6. Have to manually re-apply any discounts and clean up the remainder mess

And #2-6, the fact that you're costing so much support time and causing so much hassle before you even have your service, makes it less likely for the provider to take a risk and approve your order so you can possibly (1) be fraud/chargeback (2) cost further support time like creating several tickets for any little thing (3) abuse the VPS since you lied about your address, all for a few dollars, makes it not worth it.

So order once. If it's fraud, as it's suggested, contact us with one ticket so we can talk about what went wrong.

Thanked by 2dearroy yingchun
  • doghouch said: SSDs on a budget server are supposed to be running at light-speed ._.

SSD Based servers should perform exceptionally no reason for them being slow but they do have speed limits.

• jenokjenok Member, Host Rep

I am so lucky to have bunch of China customer and none of them alleged fraud neither spammer. :D

And nowadays I received bunch of order from India which 90% of them use to send spam. I know India famous with field for outsourcing support. But spam ? eh...

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited October 2015

Because they ate Jimmy. Jimmy was my dog.

Thanked by 2netomx Janevski
  • We rarely focus on Chinese, but none of our current customers were spammers of abusers. Also they're very pleasant to work with.

• @cnbeining said:yes,this is bad feel..
    Cause providers like u had pretty good experience with running off?

P.S: For those who are new and do not know this drama:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/31135/hostqz-3-5-usd-month-core2-2g-20g-hdd-512gb-500gb-america/p2

• cosmicgate said: Because they ate Jimmy. Jimmy was my dog.

They probably hate you because you ate their friend. Fred, the chicken. ;) It's a matter of perspective

Thanked by 1Aga
  • "Why do so many providers hate Chinese people".

Saw one that said it'd hate two Chinese instead of one if you pay yearly.

Like others have said, mitigation against fraud because of the %s.

• @Karina122 said:

The SAME dude... I am a Chinese... :) When I was in my country, I need to do so as well.

• Jar said: They've almost always been friendly, just a language barrier at times.

Which is why my only support person is fluent in English and Mandarin. Chinese make up over 50% of my business, they are very friendly, and very appreciative when you offer them help. Very few tickets I can't handle with Google translate, and those I can't, Nicky can ;)

Thanked by 2jar sunwei922
  • @miTgiB said:
    Which is why my only support person is fluent in English and Mandarin. Chinese make up over 50% of my business, they are very friendly, and very appreciative when you offer them help. Very few tickets I can't handle with Google translate, and those I can't, Nicky can ;)

Thanks for the praise. I would like to say, most people, no matter where are they from, are ordinary beings. A little bit help, a little bit communication and a little bit understanding will make the world better, easy, uh?

Thanked by 2Aga sunwei922
  • Threats of lawsuit / bad posts / harassment if they don't get what they want?

• AgaAga Member

doughmanes said: Threats of lawsuit / bad posts / harassment if they don't get what they want?

Yeah, because only chinese people do that.

• I think that there is something important being left out regarding OVH, not so long ago they didn't sell to American's without making them jump through hoops and sometimes denied them, this was common for a long time with French companies. Once they really pushed into the lower cost market they finally gave in. They also used to only provide support in French. Point being they dont like to provide support in English to begin with, and past that dealing with customers which speak broken english is probably lower in their list (thus why they ask for large down payments, to make sure they have a way to recoup the extra support time (just a guess?)).

Overall they can choose who they want as a customer, they have the cheap supply, you want in, they can make the terms. You may not like it, but it is their right.

The best route is like @Kujoe said, if you have an issue ordering reach out directly and try open communications, dont just keep ordering with different information.

my 2 cents.

Cheers

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @KuJoe said:
    I have nothing against Chinese people and we do not block any orders from China. With that being said, there is one thing that Chinese clients do more than anybody else in the world for us and I'd like to make an honest recommendation to them:

If your order gets marked as fraud by Maxmind, do not spend the next hour trying to change your address or account information to bypass Maxmind. When you have to change your address 10+ times to get your order to go through, it makes you look really bad and makes the provider not want to believe anything you say. If your order is marked as fraud, open a ticket and start a discussion. A good majority of the time Maxmind is marking your orders as fraud because the distance is so great between your IP and your address which drives the Maxmind score up. If you keep changing your address to something different, then there's a very good chance that when you find an address that does work, the provider won't accept your order anymore because there's an extremely good chance you just lied about your address. Open a ticket, talk to the provider, and if you need to change your address to something 1000 miles away, explain why before you do it a dozen times and lose all faith with your provider.

I love your services but until recent times you rejectes Argentinian orders ( that being publicly said by you in a thread I made in wht)

• KuJoe said: If your order gets marked as fraud by Maxmind, do not spend the next hour trying to change your address or account information to bypass Maxmind. When you have to change your address 10+ times to get your order to go through, it makes you look really bad and makes the provider not want to believe anything you say. If your order is marked as fraud, open a ticket and start a discussion. A good majority of the time Maxmind is marking your orders as fraud because the distance is so great between your IP and your address which drives the Maxmind score up. If you keep changing your address to something different, then there's a very good chance that when you find an address that does work, the provider won't accept your order anymore because there's an extremely good chance you just lied about your address. Open a ticket, talk to the provider, and if you need to change your address to something 1000 miles away, explain why before you do it a dozen times and lose all faith with your provider.

I think this is mostly a cultural thing. Many are using false info for fear of their government. That and those that have no English skills will use template directions someone else made in Hostloc, not understanding what they are putting in. I prefer they just write in their language, MaxMind will score based on the postal code

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • colingptcolingpt Member
    edited October 2015

@Aga said:
    Yeah, because only chinese people do that.

Dude, that is definitely ABUSE and PREJUDICE!!!

Where are your from? What if I say your people are also doing the same?? Feel good, uh?

How many Chinese have you ever met through your life?? We have 1.3 billion there, how many do you know among them? SO DON‘T SAY LIKE THAT!!!

We have a proverb in Chinese, if I translate directly, meaning that, "If forest is big enough, then you can find any kinds of birds." I hope that can give you another view about that.

@doughmanes said:
    Threats of lawsuit / bad posts / harassment if they don't get what they want?

Have to admit Chinese web environment is not as good as here, that's why I would like to discuss more with people here. but what you said happens everywhere.

Try to be open and kind. Prejudice and Pride will only make people foolish.

• AgaAga Member

colingpt said: Dude, that is definitely ABUSE and PREJUDICE!!!

No, that's sarcasm.

• Yes, if the forest is big enough, you can find any kinds of birds inside.

But we are so unfortunate to see that someone is blocking all people from my country.

• We have no problem with Chinese users. Most of our Chinese users are very nice, forgiving and appreciative. In rare cases their language might be ambiguous, but it's not really a problem in the communication. In fact, without Chinese users, our business probably is not sustainable. So far we have zero abuse from Chinese users.

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@miTgiB said:
    I think this is mostly a cultural thing. Many are using false info for fear of their government. That and those that have no English skills will use template directions someone else made in Hostloc, not understanding what they are putting in. I prefer they just write in their language, MaxMind will score based on the postal code

Maxmind's pointless in China. Personally we're working on a change to ponymind to only monitor for CC/Paypal payments and let Alipay/BTC through without flagging.

Francisco

• @Francisco 你是一个伟大的黑神驹! :)

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • colingptcolingpt Member
    edited October 2015

Looks like you already know a lot about your Chinese customers...

@VirMach said:

• Proxies:

• Budget only plans:

We also have fairly low usage from our Chinese customers compared to other regions

That is the main reason or the reason for majority of your Chinese customers due to the GFW. So they don't need higher plan.... and most of them, I believe, will only use personally.

• Communication:

• Abuse to profit ratio:

• Initial support time:

these may change someday when Chinese involve more in the western business world, but problems because of culture or language are related to two sides, both of sides should make effort.

If it's fraud, as it's suggested, contact us with one ticket so we can talk about what went wrong.

I am now in US as a visiting scholar, when I ordered one in university from you, it takes me around 30 mins to prove I am not a fraud. Include providing my university ID and using a edu account to mail that to you, which just make me feel frustrated. After passing the "censorship", I didn't pay the invoice and explained to your support.

I don't think all your customer can do this with fluent English, to order again may be the only Choice. However, after reading what you talk here, I'd like to go business with you someday, although I may also just buy your low level plans :P, but relax, no abuse hopefully. (I guess my previous invoice is not available now any more)

@KuJoe said:
    A good majority of the time Maxmind is marking your orders as fraud because the distance is so great between your IP and your address which drives the Maxmind score up. ....... if you need to change your address to something 1000 miles away, explain why before you do it a dozen times and lose all faith with your provider.

@miTgiB said:
    I prefer they just write in their language, MaxMind will score based on the postal code

That is the Maxmind problem. Its GeoIP system is not good enough to find correct address in China. I don't know why, but probably, GeoIP doesn't have detail data about China as what it does in US or other places. GeoIP can find my US zip code from my ip, but it is impossible in China (Just tried on their website). But, I do agree, most provider will accept explanation based on my experience.

• @Francisco said: Maxmind's pointless in China. Personally we're working on a change to ponymind to only monitor for CC/Paypal payments and let Alipay/BTC through without flagging.

How did you accept Alipay? Do you have a have a company in China?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@elgs said:

No, we're just amazing like that.

Francisco

Thanked by 3netomx Jonchun Pwner
  • @elgs said:

http://global.alipay.com/ospay/home.htm

Thanked by 3elgs netomx Pwner