Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH 2016 SSD VPS 1 Review? - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH 2016 SSD VPS 1 Review?

Comments

• wokenwollwokenwoll Member
    edited October 2016

@theblackesthat said:
    https://www.ovh.com/us/cloud/instances/cpu-ssd.xml

I am interested to see how the HG-30-SSD runs. Anyone have benchmarks for this or something real similar? Also what are the chances of me waiting til Black Friday / Cyber Monday and OVH having a sick deal?

Would this be considered KVM? They list Ubuntu 14.04. They must have 16.04 available too I'd assume?

yes we have ubuntu 16.04 :)
    for "sick deals", we launched one for the Openstack community last month ($150 voucher), i'll post here if new deals will come

be aware that you can test thoses instances hourly/monthly, it's pay-as-you-go billing.
    you can try HG-30 SSD for 1h and bench whatever you want, then release it. with flexible instances you can even test the whole portfolio without reinstalling your benchs (hot upsize/downsize)

our public benchs and comparisons :

HG7SSD : http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1604268-GA-1504249DE11
    HG30SSD : http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1604288-GA-OVHPUBLIC58
    and
    VPS-SSD1 : http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1604253-GA-VPSSSD1CP87

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@wokenwoll said:

While we've got you here.. any black friday deals we should be looking out for? :)

• Black Friday for all providers :D

• I currently have namecheap's cheapest hosting package, I am wondering is it worth to move from there to here. btw my site has very little traffics.

• @CUTA said:
    I currently have namecheap's cheapest hosting package, I am wondering is it worth to move from there to here. btw my site has very little traffics.

this mostly depends on your capabilities to manage a vps yourself and set up and maintain the hosting environment on such vps yourself :-)

it most probably can outperform any cheap hosting if you know what you are doing ;-)

• @Falzo said:

@CUTA said:
    I currently have namecheap's cheapest hosting package, I am wondering is it worth to move from there to here. btw my site has very little traffics.

this mostly depends on your capabilities to manage a vps yourself and set up and maintain the hosting environment on such vps yourself :-)

it most probably can outperform any cheap hosting if you know what you are doing ;-)

Thanks for the reply. It says in the first "order" page VPS 2016 SSD 1
    but then in the next page "SSD VPS 2015 installation". Does it mean I will be getting 2015 version? not 2016?

• CUTA said: Thanks for the reply. It says in the first "order" page VPS 2016 SSD 1 but then in the next page "SSD VPS 2015 installation". Does it mean I will be getting 2015 version? not 2016?

I had the same thing with the blackfriday sales but you just get 2016 like it will say on the panel once you receive it.

• CUTACUTA Member
    edited December 2016

@Vinnyletje said:

CUTA said: Thanks for the reply. It says in the first "order" page VPS 2016 SSD 1 but then in the next page "SSD VPS 2015 installation". Does it mean I will be getting 2015 version? not 2016?

I had the same thing with the blackfriday sales but you just get 2016 like it will say on the panel once you receive it.

great. I will try it. thanks. :)

• My OVH SSD VPS keeps humming along! Such a great price for the specs, performance, and uptime.

Thanked by 1mik997
  • ah I hate the verification thing. now have to wait for a couple of hours or days? to be verified. :(

• @CUTA said:
    ah I hate the verification thing. now have to wait for a couple of hours or days? to be verified. :(

As you choose to order unverified on a friday evening, expect no french answer before monday as worse case.

• @sin said:
    My OVH SSD VPS keeps humming along! Such a great price for the specs, performance, and uptime.

+1

2Gb RAM/2.4Ghz vCPU/10Gb SSD/2 IPv4/unmetered b/w all for the princely sum of €3 /mo :)

Thanked by 2sin inthecloudblog
  • CUTACUTA Member
    edited December 2016

@Falzo said:

@CUTA said:
    ah I hate the verification thing. now have to wait for a couple of hours or days? to be verified. :(

As you choose to order unverified on a friday evening, expect no french answer before monday as worse case.

I was verified 5 hours ago, just paid. and tested the speed in speedtest. it looks so good.

I am wondering about this. I just saw some people have complained the canadian server is bad, Is that true? can't I move the server location to somewhere else like france ?

• @Harambe said:

@diegoweb said:
    Can you tell me if OVH is indeed using KVM instead of OpenVZ?
    People were saying OVH take you down if you use high amount of CPU for a long time. Do you know anything about it?

I'm worried about moving from a company that is working great, and after some days realize that I made a horrible choice.

They only use KVM but not sure about the CPU question. I haven't pushed it and maxed it out 24/7.

I did ;).

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@CUTA said:

@Falzo said:

@CUTA said:

I was verified 5 hours ago, just paid. and tested the speed in speedtest. it looks so good.

I am wondering about this. I just saw some people have complained the canadian server is bad, Is that true? can't I move the server location to somewhere else like france ?

I have a few small VPS with them for panels and backend software, I can say as a client it's great for the price.

• @CUTA said:

@Falzo said:

@CUTA said:

Not sure if you can but France has cream of the crop network

• CUTACUTA Member
    edited December 2016

edit: I guess I will keep the OVH one.

• CUTA said: I am wondering about this. I just saw some people have complained the canadian server is bad, Is that true?

I have all my OVH VPSes in their BHS location and the network rocks. It basically comes down to what you're doing with the server and if you need to serve US visitors or primarily European visitors. I always choose their Cananda location because most of my visitors are in the US.

The only time I have ever had trouble with BHS is with their Kimsufi sales where some people get terrible connections on their Kimsufi's.

• I have a Kimsufi server in BHS and it's connection to my home is just fine, I can max the 100Mbps port on it without any issues. It's running a Plex server, works fine in combination with an Xbox One plus the plex app. No problems so far, been stable like a champ.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

mik997 said: of €3 /mo

Or 1.5 EUR/mo if you got it on the Black Friday for a year.

Thanked by 1mik997
  • If someone is wondering about the latest benchmark results. I posted it in here
    https://www.petabyet.com/result/2016-12-10-b421396881a7d4631ec6de4559f720e3/
    note that, I did this benchmark while having Apache,MySQL,PHP, Wordpress are installed and running.

• I get 1 complete minute downtime yesterday, after 1 year 1 month.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@joodle said:
    I have a Kimsufi server in BHS and it's connection to my home is just fine, I can max the 100Mbps port on it without any issues.

Then it's likely your box isn't in BHS2. I have 2 identical spec i3's at BHS, one in DC1 other in DC2 - night and day between them. One in DC2 isn't getting renewed

Thanked by 1BlazeMuis
  • williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

I got one at BHS (black friday special) and it's great, cpu and network are fast, disk is fast, snappiest VPS that I've ever had. There's something in the TOS about not being allowed to max the CPU for more than (iirc) a few hours, and even that seems near-abusive to me. I did a large software build that ran about 30 minutes cpu-maxed and had no problem. For really cpu-intensive stuff though, you want a dedi, or dedicated-resource vps like the OVH Public Cloud (not even the "cloud vps" line).

I'm having some buyers remorse about the vps that I got, mostly because it's another vps that I don't really have a use for (my heavy computation is mostly done on a Hetzner dedi). I might toss it up for sale here at some point.

The one grumble I have about the VPS-SSD is that the 10GB SSD space is on the small side. But I also got an i-83 250GB storage plan that's at BHS, so I should be able to sshfs it with good throughput. I haven't tried that at BHS yet but it works great at Hetzner FLK.

• Any use over 10TB in BHS on these?

Any impressive vnstats to share.

• ramonwapramonwap Member
    edited December 2016

@vimalware Yes
    Edit: failed saving to imgur

• CUTACUTA Member
    edited December 2016

@mtoledoce said:
    I get 1 complete minute downtime yesterday, after 1 year 1 month.

Mine has been working fine, but It's only monitored for less than 24 hours. that 99.95% is the record of my current server in namecheap. despite their promise with 100% uptime, it's not exactly 100%.

willie said: There's something in the TOS about not being allowed to max the CPU for more than (iirc) a few hours

Would you quote that and post the URL to which TOS that's from?

• rm_ said: Would you quote that and post the URL to which TOS that's from?

I could go and look for it, but you can do the same.

edited December 2016

willie said: I could go and look for it, but you can do the same.

Nope, the burden of proof lies on the one who posts weird and unconventional claims, not on others to contest those. I personally have used 100% CPU 24x7 on VPS SSD for months and never had any problem. Others have mentioned having a similar experience in the forums. My current OVH TOS mentions "CPU" exactly once, and it's not about any time-based limits. So either don't post vague rumours about "there's something in the TOS", or be prepared to provide the exact quote.