Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net new limited offers 3815 & 3915 - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net new limited offers 3815 & 3915

12346»

Comments

• It's an OEM version of HGST HUS724020ALA640, so basically a HP sticker on the disk makes such a difference in price. :)
    http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-HGST-HUS724020ALA640-0F14690/dp/B00D1C7CSM

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • i'm struggling with hard drive partition and installing more than one operating system...

Can someone please give me simple, step by step, instructions (create a new partition) thank you in advance

• @adil04 said:
    i'm struggling with hard drive partition and installing more than one operating system...

You have some replies in your thread.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited October 2015

deadbeef said: @coolice said:

So what's the one-liner (or similar) you suggest?

rm_ said: deadbeef said: So what's the one-liner (or similar) you suggest?

Just use a higher value for dd, like 4G or so, it will negate the effect of these small 128-256 MB caches.

>

I'm just pointing that the test is stupid ... to have some result which is accurate providers should not adopt any new technology....

To prove my point here some test results from inside 3815 KVM CentOS 7 Virtual Machine with XFS

[root@test ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1,1 GB) copied, 1,06337 s, 1,0 GB/s
    [root@test ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest1 bs=64k count=64k conv=fdatasync
    65536+0 records in
    65536+0 records out
    4294967296 bytes (4,3 GB) copied, 3,83612 s, 1,1 GB/s
    [root@test ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest1 bs=64k count=128k conv=fdatasync
    131072+0 records in
    131072+0 records out
    8589934592 bytes (8,6 GB) copied, 5,70858 s, 1,5 GB/s
    [root@test ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest1 bs=64k count=256k conv=fdatasync
    262144+0 records in
    262144+0 records out
    17179869184 bytes (17 GB) copied, 10,1684 s, 1,7 GB/s
    [root@test ~]# dd bs=1M count=4096 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync 
    4096+0 records in
    4096+0 records out
    4294967296 bytes (4,3 GB) copied, 4,05143 s, 1,1 GB/s
    [root@test ~]# dd bs=1M count=10240 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync
    10240+0 records in
    10240+0 records out
    10737418240 bytes (11 GB) copied, 6,88879 s, 1,6 GB/s
    [root@test ~]# dd bs=1M count=51200 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync
    51200+0 records in
    51200+0 records out
    53687091200 bytes (54 GB) copied, 23,2135 s, 2,3 GB/s

Same will happened with vz with ploop (ok I know ploop is bit fragile but it is the future both VZO and Virtuozzo are defaulting to that)

So choices are drop dd testing or drop new technology...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

coolice said: I'm just pointing that the test is stupid

To prove my point here some test results from inside 3815 KVM

The only thing that is stupid here is your failure to correctly set up write barrier handling on KVM.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited October 2015

@rm_ this is the default install...

It is the "stupid" default choice of all of the developers of Centos7, Proxmox, Online or stupid dd :)

Proxmox, (default from online image)

/dev/mapper/system-root on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,barrier=1,stripe=16,data=ordered) 

(Only change on hypervisor level is to choose Virtio than IDE when creating VM , Nocache stays)

VM is also using default all just xfs is chosen for the partitions then done// done

edit all default mounts (no nobarrier)

/dev/vda1 on / type xfs (rw,relatime,seclabel,attr2,inode64,noquota)
  • Any new feedbacks on 3915 SSD?
    I'm going to replace an old ovh server with this one.

I've compared results above with ovh, looks like online.net has better connection to the US.

• @Gulf said:
    Any new feedbacks on 3915 SSD?

I've compared results above with ovh, looks like online.net has better connection to the US.

me too

• RolterRolter Member
    edited November 2015

@Gulf said:
    Any new feedbacks on 3915 SSD?

Been using it for a month now , speeds are awesome (both Network and Server).

I am hosting one high traffic website on a LNMP stack with around 6M impressions/day and the server is barely getting past 10% of its resource usage (except the storage , which is around 80% used)

I wish i had grabbed a few 2X2TB servers when they were in stock .

Thanked by 1hawkjohn7
  • promotion ended 2 hours ago there were 25 in stock and after 10 minutes there was no one

• @chdesign said:
    promotion ended 2 hours ago there were 25 in stock and after 10 minutes there was no one

they were back again?

• @Rolter said:
    I wish i had grabbed a few 2X2TB servers when they were in stock .

Very good server. I got SSD version. It is fully HP, even SSD by HP.

Thanked by 2netomx Rolter
  • @arpanjot said:

Yes they were , and i again grabbed a few of them -- Pretty nice servers and deal (no gauranteed BW though , will have to avoid using the servers for anything BW intensive )

• I wish online.net was a bit more precise about their bandwidth policy. Does 200 mbit/s mean they will ask to reduce usage at 200.01 mbit/s average? Does "no guaranteed bandwidth" mean they won't even accept 50 mbit/s average use?

Thanked by 1Rolter
  • @Rolter said:
    (no gauranteed BW though , will have to avoid using the servers for anything BW intensive )

it was confirmed to be 200Mbps.

Thanked by 24n0nx Rolter
  • @IThinkUFailed said:

Support said 300

Thanked by 1Rolter
  • RolterRolter Member
    edited November 2015

@IThinkUFailed said:

Can you please link me to the source of that info ?

• IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited November 2015

@Rolter said:
    Can you please link me to the source of that info ?

It's in a ticket to me. I ordered it and then was experiencing slow downloads. This has since sorted itself out. I was a bit pissed off as they were all giving us the run around in terms of information that day.

• RolterRolter Member
    edited November 2015

I like how Online.net's support is always so polite , even after you bash them . This is some good customer support.

Thank you for the picture.

Thanked by 24n0nx rm_
  • @Rolter said:
    I like how Online.net's support is always so polite , even after you bash them . This is some good customer support.

I bashed them after we had been waiting 6+ hours for a simple response to our questions. All of us were ignored by staff.

• @Rolter said:

They said 300 to me. The same question....

• wychwych Member
    edited November 2015

The bandwidth varies between specific offers.

@IThinkUFailed said:
    I bashed them after we had been waiting 6+ hours for a simple response to our questions. All of us were ignored by staff.

Seems some get A* support and others not so much...

• zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited November 2015

I think one reason for the whole bandwidth vs. guaranteed bandwidth confusion is language-related. For example, have a look here:

http://documentation.online.net/fr/serveur-dedie/offres/serveur-dedibox-limited-edition-1115/start

It says: "Bande passante: 200 Mbit/s"

Then go to the English page:

http://documentation.online.net/en/serveur-dedie/offres/serveur-dedibox-limited-edition-1115/server-dedibox-limited-edition-1115

It says: "Internet bandwidth guaranteed: 200 Mbit/s"

In other words, they translated "Bande passante" with guaranteed bandwidth. Now, if you go to the 3815-3915 page: http://documentation.online.net/fr/serveur-dedie/offres/serveur-dedibox-limited-edition-3815-3915/start

It says: "Bande Passante : 200 Mbps"

There is no English language available for this offer. Obviously, given how they translated the French page for the 1115, you'd think that the same "Bande Passante : 200 Mbps" passage would translate into the same "bandwidth guaranteed".

Thanked by 2Gulf 4n0nx
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2015

wrong thread, sorry

• Amitz said: wrong thread, sorry

np I forgive you

• 4n0nx said: np I forgive you

Thanks! :-)

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @wych said:
    The bandwidth varies between specific offers.

Seems some get A* support and others not so much...

Yup. The other day I asked for a server I cancelled to be un-cancelled as I found a use for it. Less than 60 seconds from sending the ticket in it was responded to and un-cancelled. That was the best support I've had from Online...

The time in which the image was took I was incredibly stressed as I was getting less than 2MB/s to the US and such so I was like "Oh god. We've all been screwed." and I needed to know if there was a guaranteed bandwidth or not. The next day the connection was back to how it should be but the worry was they were going to turn round and just be like "Nope! NO guarantees" sort of deal.

Basically they have good and bad days on this day it was incredibly bad. About 20 people waiting on a confirmation and nobody responding so everyone was stressed.

• GulfGulf Member
    edited November 2015

I moved one website from ovh to online.net and after 2 weeks I feel ovh network is better. However ping are the same.

online.net pros

• fast support (sales questions)

• HP hardware, ECC memory

ovh pros

• better network

• better control panel

• better connectivity for mena region

I will move back this website to the ovh next year.