Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net new limited offers 3815 & 3915 - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net new limited offers 3815 & 3915

Comments

• @Falzo said:

prices tend to rise everywhere, even on hetzner auction you wont be able to get one of those 2x3TB servers anything below 30 € (excl. VAT) anymore.

Hetzner auction is NL type of auction, price drops with 1 euro when time end if nobody take the server, so just more people want these 2x3TB and take action before it drops to 30 eur limit...

As my professors told me when I was study MBA, supply and demand meet in purest example you can find...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @coolice said:
    As my professors told me when I was study MBA, supply and demand meet in purest example you can find...

exactly. and thats why those new 'limited offers' stays longer. there is not that much demand at this price (but probably enough to get rid in an acceptable matter of time).

most people are probably looking for cheap storage in addition to a hell of BW - which makes 2x2TB at 19.99 a clearly better offer than the new ones ;-)

Thanked by 1coolice
  • Hm..
    Stuck on "System configuration". Weird

• @myhken said:
    How do I get KVM over IP to work, I have installed Debian (was told that I had to have a OS before KVM over IP option got there).

And/or - how to install Joodles Windows image on the server?

After installing any OS, you will also see rescue mode option right above ILO/KVM over IP. Activate rescue mode, login via ssh and rest of the process are as per Joodle's site...

Thanked by 3BlazeMuis myhken netomx
  • You are right about the price. €19.90 would have been better for me. But want to test online.net this time, and see how the server works with Windows and Hyper-V.
    But with Hetzner I can get 2 x 3 TB for €30.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Anyone using Proxmox on this machine or any machine at online.net? Did the install via their panel work?

• @amarc said:
    Anyone can tell me how many failover IP's you can add on this one ?

• @SpeedBus said:
    Anyone using Proxmox on this machine or any machine at online.net? Did the install via their panel work?

keep trying, yesterday I had to try 3 times before it actually worked once...... :)

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited September 2015

RAID0 2TB (Hardware RAID btw)

root@sd-59222:~# dd bs=1M count=256 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync
    256+0 records in
    256+0 records out
    268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 0.216667 s, 1.2 GB/s
    root@sd-59222:~# dd bs=1M count=1024 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.67337 s, 292 MB/s
    root@sd-59222:~# dd bs=1M count=8192 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync
    8192+0 records in
    8192+0 records out
    8589934592 bytes (8.6 GB) copied, 29.9785 s, 287 MB/s

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited September 2015

@amarc said:
    Also.. anyone got these with SSD's ? What type/manufacturer they use?

SECOND.

Always been curious about online.net SSD.

• Falzo said: auction you wont be able to get one of those 2x3TB servers anything below 30 € (excl. VAT) anymore.

There are still plenty of good deals, for €38 I got an E3 with 4x 1 TB drives and 24GB Ram last week.

• @hawc said:
    Online, why u do dis when I am poor

Online, why u do dis when I renewed OVH again at the end of the month :(
    Hope the stock will be alive till the next billing!

• @linuxthefish said:
    RAID0 2TB (Hardware RAID btw)

root@sd-59222:~# dd bs=1M count=256 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync
    256+0 records in
    256+0 records out
    268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 0.216667 s, 1.2 GB/s
    root@sd-59222:~# dd bs=1M count=1024 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.67337 s, 292 MB/s
    root@sd-59222:~# dd bs=1M count=8192 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync
    8192+0 records in
    8192+0 records out
    8589934592 bytes (8.6 GB) copied, 29.9785 s, 287 MB/s

good speeds except if there is no bandwidth gaurentee whats the point if we only get 1mbit...

lol

• @SpeedBus said:

If it matters, I'm trying to install exsi and it's not moving on 'System Configuration'

• The NAS server with all the images on might be getting slammed.

I used to have a box with them that the proxmox installer was used for, but that was installed ~2 years ago and was retired this month.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

emdad said: keep trying, yesterday I had to try 3 times before it actually worked once...... :)

Yeah :/ I'm trying to login with all possible combinations but it just doesn't seem to login.

@Yoda said:
    If it matters, I'm trying to install exsi and it's not moving on 'System Configuration'

Yeah ESXi took a while to install but worked at the end.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited September 2015

@SpeedBus said:

I got 2 proxmox installation with Online... Installer works I suppose they sell a lot new servers and a lot of people installing at the moment .... happens after a promo ... I'll wait till tomorrow before install

@vimalware said:
    Always been curious about online.net SSD.

If i remember correct they was Intel 320 (i have a xc with one ssd last year)

• zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited September 2015

@myhken said:
    You are right about the price. €19.90 would have been better for me. But want to test online.net this time, and see how the server works with Windows and Hyper-V.
    But with Hetzner I can get 2 x 3 TB for €30.

Did you compare the other specs? I may be wrong but I thought the low-entry Hetzner products is more or less "no-name" non-server grade hardware. Online.net on the other hand seem to employ server hardware, mainly from HP and Dell.

• @SpeedBus said:
    Yeah ESXi took a while to install but worked at the end.

More than 3 hours for me at the moment.

• @SpeedBus said:

I have, some times their installation system hangs in middle of installation and it cannot proceed until you contact support, this happened to me twice with the 1115 and they mentioned it to me, but first you can try 2 times if installation time is more than 1 hour contact support and they will fix it.
    and it's not proxmox only by the way, it happens randomly on random OS's

• @boernd said:
    Yes, 200mbit/s

This offer is strange. They are experimenting to see what they can sell and how fast. Sure many people would buy the 20 Eur servers and quite some of those who buy might use it and eat quite some bandwidth. With the new offer things are better for them.

How many servers share a Gbit on that kind of offers with no bandwidth guaranteed?

• scyscy Member
    edited September 2015

linuxthefish said: With 1TB USB drive makes a nice torrenting box

Why not use a TB from the 2x2TB SATA HDD?

The 1TB USB HDD option would be great with the kidechire or their low cost line! And people who paid that much setup fee might not want to leave before quite some time...

• does their CC billing show up as a foreign charge or do they do the exchange themselves? I only get CC billin goption.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

None has shared Network Benchmark Yet. Curious to see FreeVPS Benchmark at least ! More Nice Benchmark, better always !

• @scy said:

You need business level to get this +1TB USB thing... which is 20 eur/mo

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    None has shared Network Benchmark Yet. Curious to see FreeVPS Benchmark at least ! More Nice Benchmark, better always !

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency :  835.570 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 32077 MB
    Total amount of swap : 3906 MB
    System uptime :   11 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 71.0MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 20.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 12.1MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.28MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 71.4MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 92.4MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 8.99MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 12.5MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 10.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 9.68MB/s
    I/O speed :  196 MB/s

It's the 2x2TB model.

Thanked by 1scy
  • [root@sd-57360 ~]# ./bench.sh
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency :  800.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 31941 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1023 MB
    System uptime :   7 min,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 73.8MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 1.10MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 1.87MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6.49MB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 85.7MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 85.7MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 9.96MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 12.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 9.34MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 22.5MB/s 
    I/O speed :  180 MB/s

Hmm.. atlanta and dallas has slow speed. Maybe i will tr y abit later

• ZweiTiger said: You need business level to get this +1TB USB thing... which is 20 eur/mo

Sad news.

@Amitz thanks for the test, would another test with upload speeds be possible?

• @zeitgeist said:
    Did you compare the other specs? I may be wrong but I thought the low-entry Hetzner products is more or less "no-name" non-server grade hardware. Online.net on the other hand seem to employ server hardware, mainly from HP and Dell.

Yes and no... I know people here says that server grade hardware is the best. But I have had an old i7 2600 with 16 GB RAM and normal HDDs running with 100% uptime the last 9 months. And I was "stupid" to listen to all this server grade, so I upgraded one of my servers to server grade, Xeon E3 1245v2, 32 GB ECC RAM, Enterprise HDDs, iNIC etc etc, paying €12/mo more then I did with the same specs, just a i7 3770 CPU.

I have so good backup routines that server grade has little to say for me. If I loose a HDD on one of my two servers, no worry, all the data is on the other server.
    Loose the HDD with my Hyper-V VMs...no problem, all is exported to the other server and vica verca each night, and also home to my server here.
    Loose a server, no problem, DNS failover services on all important, at two other providers.

But I have not seen a i7 3770 with 32 GB RAM for €26/mo anymore, so is keeping my XEON.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Those who are sacrificing tears for Guaranteed Bandwidth, can check the BenchMark from @Amitz & @ZweiTiger

A Dedicated Server Provider wouldn't give you 1 Mbit/s Speed at any time. At least, I haven't seen like this. At Hetzner, till today, I got minimum Speed of 60 MB/s. I wouldm't say it that bad & so on Online.Net E3-1220 Server, I had 70 MB/s always.